Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE announces $95 lootboxes and faces revolt

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    I wonder how long these folks over at Soulless Studios sat around thinking of a way to bypass the "loot box / loot crate" stigma....
    ...that does not take much thinking - just like everyone else in the industry, they ignore vocal minority.

Blasphemy.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Glad I didn't buy the game now lol P2E / P2W / P2A?
    goldboyy45
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    the drama around this game.....

Can i ask one question? is there even something playable right now?

All these companies milking the boomers without even having something launched.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

No they are still in Developer only Pre-Alpha despite an original Dec 2016 release date. 
    Gdemamiangerbeaver

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301

Nothing playable, no timelines for even pre-elyria, yet they ask you to buy their loot boxes with arbitrary values assigned to the package deal.
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People all over the world are trying to circumvent the law ,i see it in gaming and legal court cases,seems we simply live in a world full of really bad people.

What do people think of the term FOUNDER's packs?
    What do people think FREE to play is?

Gaming is full of deceptive practices and even websites,media,events like awards shows,gamescon's etc etc are all bullshit.

It is so bad that it really appears to be expected by too many now,less people complaining and just accepting all the bullshit we live with.

Gaming became more dishonest once it became a very large market,way too much competition,so each are trying to find ways to win the competition war.Simple ideas like when Guild Wars first arrived,telling us how other games are doing it wrong and that they were going to make it all better for we the gamer.

Blizzard PRETENDING to care about toxic gaming but thrive off the very competitive nature of pvp gaming.

Could we just have a simple market,play some game's for fun,a sort of hobby a way to pass some time,is that too much to ask?
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    I like how the defenders are arbitrarily re-defining lootboxes as "A gambling item that you can get something of lower value then what you had paid for."  Going to look for giveaways and tell them that I'm redefining giveaway to giving something for free specifically to me, and if they don't give me it then it's a scam.  Because that's how the english language works now apparently, if you don't like what the word implies then just change the definition to suit your purpose.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]tweedledumb99
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    You know, until I read this thread and did a Google search I had not realized Advent calendars had been "commercialized" in recent years to deliver actual products such as candy, toys, cosmetics or what not.

I hate what the season has become even more now.

F! those people ....

:# 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited November 2019
    Is Gdemami going for the record for posting LOL's on people's comments without ever making any meaningful comments himself?  I'm beginning to wonder if he knows what LOL means...
    goldboyy45[Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]Azaron_Nightbladetweedledumb99Torrsk
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Is Gdemami going for the record for posting LOL's on people's comments without ever making any meaningful comments himself?  I'm beginning to wonder if he knows what LOL means...
    They are his early Christmas gifts to the community.
    MightyUnclean[Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]tweedledumb99

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Well, the "good news " then is Caspian stated in Discord the Settlers of Elyria promotion will be starting in 2019 and carry through into 2020, so plenty more ways to spend money besides these "advent" style loot boxes.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Arterius said:
    LOOTBOXES!? There isn't even a game yet. At least in another game if I choose to buy a lootbox, trust me I never do, I would get something even if it was junk I didn't want. F this game man. 
    ...did you know you don't have to buy anything in COE shop?

Shocking news.
    Azaron_Nightbladerpmcmurphytweedledumb99
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    This one is a gem:

Serpentius?Today at 4:11 PM

If you happen to gift someone something, that is the purpose of the send button on the item in your inventory. If they happen to gift you something back, then lucky you. That is not the same as us condoning trading, which we do not.

This can't be for real?

Gdemami
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Of course he doesn't, but he acts like the smart one.
    Isn't it amusing?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    cmacq said:
    This one is a gem:

If you happen to gift someone something, that is the purpose of the send button on the item in your inventory. If they happen to gift you something back, then lucky you. That is not the same as us condoning trading, which we do not.

This can't be for real?

I assure you it is.   The timestamp is included so feel free to go read it yourself.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Forum comments "This looks interesting" , "cool love it" , "Ahhhh, I do love surprises" hahahaha. And whales defending it, no words... I seen better games made out of asset flipping than this.
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
    Portz said:
    Forum comments "This looks interesting" , "cool love it" , "Ahhhh, I do love surprises" hahahaha. And whales defending it, no words... I seen better games made out of asset flipping than this.
    Speaking of..I think JamesP has shown more in game footage than SBS.

;)

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Iselin said:
    That is why he is so desperate to rename it as a "calendar".  In their Discord people have literally argued that you can't call it a Loot Crate or Loot Box because it's not a crate or a box...

I just keep thinking of him wiggling his fingers and going: "These are not the LootBoxes you are looking for".  And then they tell each other, "These are not the Loot Boxes we are looking for"

Edit as a follow up this didn't take long.  Now the Community manager is giving the OK for people to BUY their Exposition Points (EP) and use those to trade for items:

Serpentius?Today at 4:05 PM

If the ToS states real money selling of virtual goods is against our policy, then it is. If the studio deems that gift cards are equivalent to real money, then it is against our policy and we can moderate as we deem necessary. We have not specified that EP is against the terms, would you like us to? Bottom line is, you can use whatever logic you want, but unless we act on it then mutual gifting that involves EP isn't currently against our policy.

This one is a gem:

When employees start trying to find loopholes in their own ToS, you know it's over. When they start flaunting their own rules and giving the okay to loopholes, they've basically stopped caring.

Seriously though, CoE and SBS is just the gift that keeps on giving. I do sympathize with those that have put money into this though. It's also not funny or entertaining to them. 

Sunk Cost fallacy seems rife in CoE's community because the red flags are numerous and obvious, but they still seem to support SBS and their practices. I'm basically just saying what everyone else is saying though (Those of us on the outside I think).
    MendelGdemamiKyleran
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    "Why are you charging $95 for a loot boxes?" "Cause... why not?" yeah stop giving them excuse to plan for this kind of things.
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2019
    Linif said:
    Iselin said:
    That is why he is so desperate to rename it as a "calendar".  In their Discord people have literally argued that you can't call it a Loot Crate or Loot Box because it's not a crate or a box...

I just keep thinking of him wiggling his fingers and going: "These are not the LootBoxes you are looking for".  And then they tell each other, "These are not the Loot Boxes we are looking for"

Edit as a follow up this didn't take long.  Now the Community manager is giving the OK for people to BUY their Exposition Points (EP) and use those to trade for items:

Serpentius?Today at 4:05 PM

If the ToS states real money selling of virtual goods is against our policy, then it is. If the studio deems that gift cards are equivalent to real money, then it is against our policy and we can moderate as we deem necessary. We have not specified that EP is against the terms, would you like us to? Bottom line is, you can use whatever logic you want, but unless we act on it then mutual gifting that involves EP isn't currently against our policy.

This one is a gem:

When employees start trying to find loopholes in their own ToS, you know it's over. When they start flaunting their own rules and giving the okay to loopholes, they've basically stopped caring.

Seriously though, CoE and SBS is just the gift that keeps on giving. I do sympathize with those that have put money into this though. It's also not funny or entertaining to them. 

Sunk Cost fallacy seems rife in CoE's community because the red flags are numerous and obvious, but they still seem to support SBS and their practices. I'm basically just saying what everyone else is saying though (Those of us on the outside I think).
    I think their problem is more that they can't communicate their rule clearly enough.

It would be ok if they said something like

"Trading is against ToS, but we do not currently take actions against this in situations where both parties send stuff to each other through our gifting system. However please be aware that to prevent scammers from earning money through cheating in trades, we will ban everyone who proposes a trade or engages in trade that involves sending stuff outside our gifting system"

Their problem is that they're dancing around the issue instead of having someone with expertise spell out what they do.
    Kyleran

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Only 95 dollars? For a non existing game? With only a chance of actually getting what you want, with only a chance of that being made, with only a chance of the actual game being made so you can claim that item? Honey, hand me my creditcard, I am going full retard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AwakenHDSlapshot1188MendelLackingMMOKyleranScotChimborazo
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    lahnmir said:
    Only 95 dollars? For a non existing game? With only a chance of actually getting what you want, with only a chance of that being made, with only a chance of the actual game being made so you can claim that item? Honey, hand me my creditcard, I am going full retard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    $95 buys a pretty big pile of lottery tickets.  The lottery is probably closer to your home, making even the local convenience store almost as convenient.  Most lotteries even have on-line apps now, so they can take your money at nearly crowdfunding rates.

I'll leave it to you to decide for yourself which one gives more value for the money, but there are other ways to throw your money away.  :)

lahnmir

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Mendel said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    $95 buys a pretty big pile of lottery tickets.  The lottery is probably closer to your home, making even the local convenience store almost as convenient.  Most lotteries even have on-line apps now, so they can take your money at nearly crowdfunding rates.

I'll leave it to you to decide for yourself which one gives more value for the money, but there are other ways to throw your money away.  :)

Well, I have a fireplace and its getting colder and I am out of wood.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    At this point this is pretty standard. Wake me up when a company actually decides to release a game and not a pay for development experience.
    At this point this is pretty standard. Wake me up when a company actually decides to release a game and not a pay for development experience.
    I’ll concede the point if you can show me one other company that said they would not have lootboxes and then sold $95 lootboxes while in dev only pre-alpha.

[Deleted User]Gdemami