Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam just removed 1000 games from their library

2»

Comments

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,815
    Torval said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Steam is fighting hard "fake games" which are cheap games that spams achievements or cards so people sell those cards on the market or use the achievement spam to increase their steam meta level.

It's real and it's a very old issue within the community.
    I'm not sure Valve cares about 'meta levels'. The last Steam sale had an event "Steam Grand Prix" that let you spend event credits for Grand Prix levels. Those levels gave experience and translated directly to Steam Meta levels. I hit level 289 on the Gran Prix and Steam Level 84 (from level 30 something I think). It's all just for fun and fluff.
    They do care about ways to exploit it, like "achievement spammers" which are games that gives multiples achievements for nothing
    Torval
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; EvE Online

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,228
    DMKano said:
    The reason why majority has never heard of these games is because steam has so many garbage games.

There are over 30,000 games on steam....

I wish that Steam would just do a quarterly cleanup and just dump all the garbageware

It would get the entire steam library to under a few thousand games.

problem is they kinda can't, they need to keep the game up till the end of internet, as long there is someone who paid it
    that's the ideal scenario, but in reality that's not what happens. There have been many games lost forever because digital fronts remove them for any reason they see fit.

Hell, even a physical game (Too Human) and it's digital version during last generation was lost when Epic Games counter-sued Silicon Knights and forced them to remove the game from all stores and destroy all physical copies for allegedly using a stolen version of the Unreal Engine.

Another example is Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Dragonfall. Harebrained Schemes ported them to the Google Play Store a while ago. I bought them there because i found that touchscreen is more comfortable for point and click games. Well, due to the GDPR law Google removed them from the Playstore so i lost my money and the games. They also deleted the receipt from users accounts and all traces proving anyone paid for the games.
    I have my GOG 3 Shadowrun games. I can uninstall and reinstall them whenever I wish, no internet connection required.

As for "physical copies", once bought they are yours until they scratch, break, burn. No one will knock down your door and confiscate them. They may no longer be offered, but the ones sold are still out there, pre-judgement.

THIS is why I hate "digital game distribution" as a whole.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

TEKK3N said:
    Arterius said:
    Your headline scared me for a sec. Was worried it was going to be a game I was looking at or that I owned.
    The games you own will always be available to you even if they drop it from the store.

And if the "store" (or platform) closes?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited November 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Arterius said:
    Your headline scared me for a sec. Was worried it was going to be a game I was looking at or that I owned.
    The games you own will always be available to you even if they drop it from the store.

You know you can play Steam games Offline right?
    Download your entire Library, with all games updated and set Offline mode.
    So you can play all your games forever, even IF the platform shuts down (very unlikely).

What some people don't get about Steam is:
    1) It's a FREE Cloud Storage for all your games, so you don't have to buy 50 Terabytes Hard Drives.
    2) Your game is regularly bug fixed by developers (unlike Hard Copies).
    3) You don't lose your game by scratching your CD, which is actually fairly common.
    4) Modding, which add dozens (if not hundreds) of hours to your vanilla game, even though there is Nexus now, but then again, it's nice to have Modding under a single platform.

I really don't understand why people still have issues with Digital Download, quite frankly.
    There is no real downside to it in my opinion.
    edited November 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Arterius said:

You know you can play Steam games Offline right?
    Download your entire Library, with all games updated and set Offline mode.
    So you can play all your games forever, even IF the platform shuts down (very unlikely).

What some people don't get about Steam is:
    1) It's a FREE Cloud Storage for all your games, so you don't have to buy 50 Terabytes Hard Drives.
    2) Your game is regularly bug fixed by developers (unlike Hard Copies).
    3) You don't lose your game by scratching your CD, which is actually fairly common.
    4) Modding, which add dozens (if not hundreds) of hours to your vanilla game, even though there is Nexus now, but then again, it's nice to have Modding under a single platform.

I really don't understand why people still have issues with Digital Download, quite frankly.
    There is no real downside to it in my opinion.
    And when you update your PC? Your HDD crashes? When a game actually codes in a handshake to Steam for verification? (I've had Skyrim ask for an "online connection" on occasion.)

GOG. I have the files. I OWN them. When I install them, there is NO "GOG Intervention." Whether GOG is alive or long gone, my games will always be mine, to install whenever, wherever I wish. But hey, to each their own :)

Really, if you have 50TB of games, you have bigger problems than finding "free disc space."

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    Valve has lowered as much standards as possible as far what they allow on them, the most ridiculous random game releases appear, pretty much lowers the rep of the entire shop
    newbismx
  • WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 334
    I just want valve to go back to the old heavy handed censoring of the steam store.  Part of the reason this is all happening is because the AO marketplace kept complaining that valve was censoring them by not allowing them to put their games on steam; but I had respect for valve because they were being consistent.  Then spite rang its ugly head and people had complained enough that the captain of the ship said "Sure.  Let everything onboard" and now they are likely enjoying watching us in a cesspool of asset flips.  There is no middle ground.  Either all is ok or nothing is ok.  We see how bad everything is ok, so I think I'd rather go back to nothing is ok.
    AlBQuirky