Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just want to enjoy a game again! Help!

blacklist85blacklist85 Member UncommonPosts: 10
Hey all,

Long time gamer here I am 34 , was in beta for WoW and have been playing everything under the sun since. I’ve recently given up WoW , just far to demanding raid wise being a father family man now. 

Since quitting I have jumped from game to game and not really falling in love with anything , it’s left me in some what of a depressed gaming state. I’ve turned to now devoting extra time to rowing (exercise) and show watching but that’s just filler. 

Here are games I’ve recently played and enjoyed but didn’t suck me in to continue playing them. 

WoW - loved it cant keep up with the demand of end game raiding schedules 

Call of Duty great shooter was fun, but repetitive and lost its excitement with me quickly. 

Astellia , I didn’t think it was terrible, I did enjoy leveling myself up and was mostly solo except for tanking dungeons. 

Destiny - love playing it felt like missing last two expansions maybe I am just to far behind to really catch up and enjoy it now?

Albion Online - loved the idea and concept just way too much of a grind for someone who is semi-casual/hardcore depending on scheduling. 

My main interests right now in gaming that seem to keep my attention pretty long is games that you progress , get sweet gear and more powerful. I love gather games, cutting down trees gathering resources and building and advancing with them. I like rpg combat, I like shooting combat. I like a friendly atmosphere so if I am ready for team play it’s not toxic. I enjoy a challenge if it’s multiplayer , end game WoW was amazing as a guild. 

I am down to check out anything people have to offer, right now lots of good sales going on so figured it may be a good idea to reach out and see if this community can help get me out of this gaming depression rut. 

Thanks all happy holidays!

Comments

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    if you don't mind the graphics, i would suggest rimworld or kenshi.
    they might not look like it but they are both incredible games (though if you've played albion, it probably won't be an issue).
    careful though, they are also both time altering games. you sit with the intent to play for an hour and suddenly your growling stomach reminds you that it's 2am and you might want to head to bed :)

other suggestions for online and multiplayerish games :
    path of exile for that arpg itch (new league starting in 2 weeks)
    or
    warframe for that fast paced shooter itch with progression and gear.
    both great and both free to play.

or maybe give magic the gathering arena a try, if you want something competitive and that you don't seem to have tried. it's also free to play (same business model as hearthstone).
    Kyleran
  • blacklist85blacklist85 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Thanks for responding!

So I did try Rimworld I played through the basic intro , then continued forward more, I think the 3 people only and one constantly doing something stupid and dying and then being left with 2 people with not much accomplished made me scratch my head!

Path of Exile I have not played in a good while, I may peak back into that , I think my first take on that was very hard to get into as well with how end game seemed so veteran player based , maybe it was the streams I watched. 

Warframe was awesome last I did play that, I think I stopped because I looked into the game more and it seemed to be a new player and try to start from scratched seemed like I just missed the boat on it and now I’m to late? Maybe that isn’t true and I am screwing my self out of a good game and need to put more time into it. 

Magic Arena was great , love it, I rather play real magic I guess haha!

Funny when I write about the games and what I dislike I feel like I am a grumpy old man now that’s never satisfied haha I wonder if I am alone in feeling that way lol. 

Palebane
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Archeage Unchained sounds like a fit ..  
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited November 2019
    Sometimes you just have to take a break from it all. You wont be far behind if you start Destiny 2. They just went f2p in October and started everyone pretty close to max level, so it wont take long to hit max, but you dont need to be max level to enjoy any of the activities outside of raiding and the more difficult dungeons. I am enjoying it a lot.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Scorchien said:
    This site seems to hate this game and I stayed away from it, like its pay to win or people hate the company. Are these invalids points??

Palebane said:
    Sometimes you just have to take a break from it all. You wont be far behind if you start Destiny 2. They just went f2p in October and started everyone pretty close to max level, so it wont take long to hit max, but you dont need to be max level to enjoy any of the activities outside of raiding and the more difficult dungeons. I am enjoying it a lot.
    Yeah that’s kind of what my wife keeps saying, I went so hard and for so long on WoW and cutting the cord is breaking my addiction and I refuse to go back. 

I guess a game that gives me fulfillment and makes me want to log in and enjoy the world in front of me, almost like waking up in a fantasy world and being a real hero, WoW in its infant stage was exactly that , it’s not anymore though. 
    I just want a crazy home away from feeling again haha. 

If I’m not far behind in Destiny , should I buy Shadow?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited November 2019
    Scorchien said:
    This site seems to hate this game and I stayed away from it, like its pay to win or people hate the company. Are these invalids points??
    If you listen to people on gaming sites like this you may never get to play another game ever again.

Heck, I only play FO76 these days and prit near everyone hates it...yet for some reason, not me.

If ArcheAge Unchained sounds interesting just go for it, what's it cost, like $15 or something?
    ScorchiencheebaScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    If you listen to people on gaming sites like this you may never get to play another game ever again.

Heck, I only play FO76 these days and prit near everyone hates it...yet for some reason, not me.

If ArcheAge Unchained sounds interesting just go for it, what's it cost, like $15 or something?

This is very true, its $25, but I dont really consider that steep compared to 59.99 for titles that completely suck right out of the box LOL.

Going to give it a go as well, see what it's all about. I don't think I've played it since its early stages trying to compete.
    Scorchien
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The key question that you have to ask is not whether other people hate a game, but why they hate it.  Sometimes, people will tell you that a game is terrible because their design preferences are different from yours and the game does something that you like and they don't.  Sometimes people will tell you that they vaguely hate the game for no real reason in particular, and be so vague that you should suspect that they've never actually played it.

Sometimes I find it more illuminating to hear from the people who like a game explain why they like it.  People who like a game are likely to have played it for a long time and understand it better than the people who hate the game.

There's nothing wrong with liking a game that most other people hate.  I'm likely the only regular on this forum who liked Kritika Online (now on Steam as Kritika Reboot), but that's fine.  I had fun playing the game even if no one else on the site liked it.  Given your preferences, I don't think that game is a good fit for you, though.

If you want to cut down trees, build stuff, and advance, you could try A Tale in the Desert.  It's an old game, and a very weird one.  Among other things, it doesn't have combat.  But if you didn't realize that a crafting game without combat could be hardcore, full loot PVP with permadeath, ATitD will clear that up for you.  (Actually, for the most part, you can just do what you want in the game and other people can't really do that much to you beyond yelling at you.)

I think that your preferences on PVE and combat are too different from mine for me to offer you good recommendations there, though.
    KyleranGorweScot
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Steam has some great sales right now. Does it have to be an online game if not I would recommend Grim Dawn
    Scorchien said:
    No the current version has no P2W in it , the company currently running it Gamigo , has done a better job than Trion ever did to this point , There has been some bumps ( like all games ) but the people who are actually playing it are having a  blast , Pop is strong on all servers ( im on Kaylin) great community , we just made a land claim have begun to build our castle ..
    Kyleran
    edited November 2019
    DMKano said:

I like a friendly atmosphere so if I am ready for team play it’s not toxic.

That rules out ArcheAge right there. The game hs always been beyond toxic
    All PVP persistent worlds breed a lvl of toxicity its human nature and part of the game .. The politics / backstabbing/ posturing/alliances/traitors /friends/networks/spies/ are what make the game and others like it Eve/Uo for ex, fun for some people ..
    DMKano said:

I like a friendly atmosphere so if I am ready for team play it’s not toxic.

That rules out ArcheAge right there. The game hs always been beyond toxic
    And yet , i can go into your history and find you putting AA on a pedestal and boasting of your guild conflicts , even promoting AA as one of the top 3 Korean MMos made to date even 2 weeks before Gamigo bought it ..
    DeadSpocksnoocky
    I joined the Kaylin server and I am about an hour in and I can’t at this point say I dislike anything I’ve done so far. I’ve taken a new open eye approach to this I usually fly through the quest text and cut scenes to get levels and gear ASAP but when I think back about playing WoW for the first time I didn’t rush any of that, I think from quest grinding in WoW so long it programmed me to play different in which ruins new games for me because I bring my bad WoW habits over to it. 

I will keep everyone up to date on this journey but so far , I am enjoying my time!

My name on Kaylin is Blacklist so feel free to add me if any of you play and or have a guild friendly to new comers. 

Thanks!
    Kyleran
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Same boat, similar games so now I'm playing My time at Portia, Graveyard Keeper, Undermine with Grim Dawn on the side.

Pretty much once you get outside the WoW mindset it opens up alot of other options.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

edited November 2019
    I joined the Kaylin server and I am about an hour in and I can’t at this point say I dislike anything I’ve done so far. I’ve taken a new open eye approach to this I usually fly through the quest text and cut scenes to get levels and gear ASAP but when I think back about playing WoW for the first time I didn’t rush any of that, I think from quest grinding in WoW so long it programmed me to play different in which ruins new games for me because I bring my bad WoW habits over to it. 

I will keep everyone up to date on this journey but so far , I am enjoying my time!

My name on Kaylin is Blacklist so feel free to add me if any of you play and or have a guild friendly to new comers. 

Thanks!
    be sure to keep your starter Armor and weapons the Adventure stuff ( not the basic ) that is the gear you will be upgrading with synthesis and awakenings .. if you accidently lost a piece you can get more from local weapon/armor merchant .. altho the instrument cannot be replaced this way ...

Do not skip any Green quest .. Main Quest line or Blue Salt Brtoherhood .. :)

You can however get a new one(instrument) as a drop as Hiram .. have fun ..

BTW also go into the market then Credts abnd see if you can purchase the Archepass Compensation pack for Free.. you get some dilligence coins and Labor you will want later .. Im not sure as a new toon it is avavilble but worth checking out ..
    Kyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Is WoW end game the only thing that interests you about the game.

I am not going to raid and I log on and play everyday. I have ten characters both Horde and Alliance which I just quest and group with. I make it  a point to take them through different areas and because they are all different classes and factions there is a surprisingly crazy amount of things one can do. Next month when the battlegrounds come out I can even PvP.

You don't have to raid to have fun in WoW. 

Scorchien said:

Thanks!
    be sure to keep your starter Armor and weapons the Adventure stuff ( not the basic ) that is the gear you will be upgrading with synthesis and awakenings .. if you accidently lost a piece you can get more from local weapon/armor merchant .. altho the instrument cannot be replaced this way ...

Do not skip any Green quest .. Main Quest line or Blue Salt Brtoherhood .. :)

You can however get a new one(instrument) as a drop as Hiram .. have fun ..

BTW also go into the market then Credts abnd see if you can purchase the Archepass Compensation pack for Free.. you get some dilligence coins and Labor you will want later .. Im not sure as a new toon it is avavilble but worth checking out ..
    Thanks for the advice, currently hit 15 , put my starter armor in my warehouse for use later. 

So far still enjoying it, just playing through the story and its been pretty fun so far.

kitarad said:
    Is WoW end game the only thing that interests you about the game.

I am not going to raid and I log on and play everyday. I have ten characters both Horde and Alliance which I just quest and group with. I make it  a point to take them through different areas and because they are all different classes and factions there is a surprisingly crazy amount of things one can do. Next month when the battlegrounds come out I can even PvP.

You don't have to raid to have fun in WoW. 
    Hey! Yes, unfortunately, that's all WoW was for me since Vanilla Molten Core - That's the aspect of the game I fell in love with was the massive challenge of dungeons/raiding. I enjoyed open-world PVP as well but that died long ago, fighting at the barrens and hills I will forever miss.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited December 2019
    Quizzical said:
    The key question that you have to ask is not whether other people hate a game, but why they hate it.  Sometimes, people will tell you that a game is terrible because their design preferences are different from yours and the game does something that you like and they don't.  Sometimes people will tell you that they vaguely hate the game for no real reason in particular, and be so vague that you should suspect that they've never actually played it.

Sometimes I find it more illuminating to hear from the people who like a game explain why they like it.  People who like a game are likely to have played it for a long time and understand it better than the people who hate the game.

There's nothing wrong with liking a game that most other people hate.  I'm likely the only regular on this forum who liked Kritika Online (now on Steam as Kritika Reboot), but that's fine.  I had fun playing the game even if no one else on the site liked it.  Given your preferences, I don't think that game is a good fit for you, though.

If you want to cut down trees, build stuff, and advance, you could try A Tale in the Desert.  It's an old game, and a very weird one.  Among other things, it doesn't have combat.  But if you didn't realize that a crafting game without combat could be hardcore, full loot PVP with permadeath, ATitD will clear that up for you.  (Actually, for the most part, you can just do what you want in the game and other people can't really do that much to you beyond yelling at you.)

I think that your preferences on PVE and combat are too different from mine for me to offer you good recommendations there, though.
    Quite so, time for some general life advice: If people overwhelmingly think something is fabulous, find out what the detractors think. If people overwhelmingly think something is awful find out what the supporters think. This gives you perspective.

A gaming example of the later for me would be an RPG that is getting say 60 to 65 on Metacritic. I will look for detractors saying things like "it is too slow", "not enough combat" "not enough like PoE". Usually if it scores that low its unlikely I will get it, but a thoughtful, deep game might swing me to buying.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Robokapp said:

Robokapp said:
    cant OP just join a casual guild instead in WoW and be happy? 
    No can do. Read his last post.

OP: All I can suggest is to try anything that catches your eye. You never know when something's gonna click with you. I'd even suggest "...and a bottle of rum" bay if something seems excessively expensive. Also, when did you give up WoW?
    I'm sorry, a casual RAIDING guild. 
    You do get casual raiding guilds, or should I say guilds that raid casually.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited December 2019

Palebane said:
    Yeah that’s kind of what my wife keeps saying, I went so hard and for so long on WoW and cutting the cord is breaking my addiction and I refuse to go back. 

I guess a game that gives me fulfillment and makes me want to log in and enjoy the world in front of me, almost like waking up in a fantasy world and being a real hero, WoW in its infant stage was exactly that , it’s not anymore though. 
    I just want a crazy home away from feeling again haha. 

If I’m not far behind in Destiny , should I buy Shadow?
    I got the game for free and really enjoy it, so I bought Shadow (on sale) to support the devs. I haven't done much there yet. Still on the third quest step to collect all the aspects. Most reviews say its not great, but its something different for me to do once Spider and Zavala’s bounties are finished (almost never lol).

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.