Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2019
    MaxBacon said:

Also from the roundup they say they want 3.8 to release sooner than the end of December usual date, unsure why
    Maybe their employees just got pissed at constantly having deadlines right before Christmas holidays. I know I'd get really pissed if my employer scheduled the extra hours that inevitably come with having to do a release for every single Christmas.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

Also from the roundup they say they want 3.8 to release sooner than the end of December usual date, unsure why
    Maybe their employees just got pissed at constantly having deadlines right before Christmas holidays. I know I'd get really pissed if my employer scheduled the extra hours that inevitably come with having to do a release for every single Christmas.
    Seeing the latest devs input SSOCS is not really managing a stable implementation for 3.8, what would explain why content as the new planet moons and the landing zone interiors got taken out, can allow earlier delivery 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

Seeing the latest devs input SSOCS is not really managing a stable implementation for 3.8, what would explain why content as the new planet moons and the landing zone interiors got taken out, can allow earlier delivery 

Try one more time and make it make sense this time.
    WalkinGlenn
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

Try one more time and make it make sense this time.
    Simple, SSOCS is a piece of tech facing implementation that is core to performance gains server-side, it was mentioned not long ago that without SSOCS one of the options was to do cuts on content and so to maintain a minimum performance on the live servers.

3.8 was a maybe for it, the roadmap update where content as the moons got removed is more telling that the implementation not making the cut is the likely reason why.

With that, the majority of 3.8's content is closer to ready, hence the sooner
    WalkinGlenn
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

Sounds reasonable.

Also getting back to the concept of "release what is ready at the end of each quarter, slip anything not done" - intended to make things "less stressful". Arguably this year has seen a drift back towards "release when features X, Y and Z" are done leading to a quarterly release a few weeks late with a knock on effect of the next release being several weeks late etc.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited November 2019
    And the great purge of 3.8 continues....

Now all three anticipated ships have been removed as well.

Coincidentally they have a new ship for citizencon (surprise surprise) which is going to make the cut. Drown your sorrows by spending X on a new toy you can play with today....
    edited November 2019
    Anvil Carrak has been put on 3.8's follow up patch instead of 3.9, scheduled for February 2020.

SSOCS has been confirmed for initial implementation for 3.8.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    WalkinGlenn
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Coincidentally they have a new ship for citizencon (surprise surprise) which is going to make the cut. Drown your sorrows by spending X on a new toy you can play with today....
    I wonder what they'll promise this new ship will do, then never bother getting it to work as it was sold to do. Just like the other ships they sell. lol
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

<snip>
    If they are to - properly - resume their stated intent of a quarterly release of whatever they have done then this is what they should do.

Release what they have - adding the finished features to the alpha, slip what they haven't.

The schedule will have to take this into account and comments about such as "that they can't deliver on time", "they don't know how to schedule", "it will never release until 2050" and so forth can be made. Arguably though some will make these comments even if they had delivered everything - which somewhat diminishes the critique that some make but c'est la vie.

Releasing whatever is finished, slipping the rest is what they should do if they are going to continue with releases based on time and not features complete.
    edited November 2019
    The 3.7.2 patch currently on PTU with fixes, should have added the expo that will be live on the game as part of the anniversary sale and the free flight starting on the 25th.

gervaise1 said:
    If they are to - properly - resume their stated intent of a quarterly release of whatever they have done then this is what they should do.

Release what they have - adding the finished features to the alpha, slip what they haven't.

Considering the development teams forming into 6 months timeframes from 3 to finish their work was a recent change, it's not to be surprised that the 3.7/3.8 and maybe even some of 3.9 are on the direct impact line of cut resources to the tasks of those milestones.

Any benefit that change can provide on the stuff being worked on wouldn't be visible on the short-term, quite the opposite, the quarterly releases are untouched but the teams having twice the time to finish work should reduce a potential delay if they don't jinx up the setup.

MaxBacon said:
    The 3.7.2 patch currently on PTU with fixes, should have added the expo that will be live on the game as part of the anniversary sale and the free flight starting on the 25th.

gervaise1 said:

Considering the development teams forming into 6 months timeframes from 3 to finish their work was a recent change, it's not to be surprised that the 3.7/3.8 and maybe even some of 3.9 are on the direct impact line of cut resources to the tasks of those milestones.

Any benefit that change can provide on the stuff being worked on wouldn't be visible on the short-term, quite the opposite, the quarterly releases are untouched but the teams having twice the time to finish work should reduce a potential delay if they don't jinx up the setup.

I suggest you are over thinking it. No point expanding. Key thing is for 3.8 to release. And see how 3.9 goes - with a whole team on it it must be coming up on 2/6 months finished by now!
    gervaise1 said:
    MaxBacon said:

gervaise1 said:

I suggest you are over thinking it. No point expanding. Key thing is for 3.8 to release. And see how 3.9 goes - with a whole team on it it must be coming up on 2/6 months finished by now!
    What I meant is the time vs resources for the short-term goals as they were with the teams split into further away tasks.

That and ofc the prioritization of QoL since 3.7 also sinking resources, but necessary really the teams jumping directly to new dev tasks builds up a backlog of issues from bugs to feedback that gets a quite delayed response
    edited November 2019
    I haven't even noticed the whole economy universe simulation that is named Quantum actually has one task on the roadmap for Alpha 3.9: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/card/605-Dynamic-Mission-System-Economy-Generated-Missions

This quite interesting also talked with @Turrican187 earlier, it seems they'll have the simulation back-end spawning missions on the game-world based on data before the server & AI fronts develop enough so the AI can populate the game-world.
    Good News, Alpha 3.8 has entered the first testing phase, Evocati.

The patch notes:
    https://pastebin.com/Em0dVFfF
    edited November 2019
    First 3.8 bits

Character environment stats UI

Annunciator Panels

Moons updated to v4 (the weird textured square is either hiding watermark or some visual bug):

Quite interesting to see the long-scale shadows in place, as well the ground VFX like the fog on the moon.
    The last roadmap update:

As scheduled now the 3 ships fall upon small follow-up 3.8 patches, Cutlass rework in January, Carrack in February and the Prowler in March.
    More bits from 3.8

New Stations that orbit the planets now, they rotate with the planet so they are always over the major landing zone:

The new reststop interiors have got the stations much bigger than before, with far more lively visuals:

New Sniper:

Melee Knife

Missile Launcher

ErillionBabuinix
    Btw bit of info missed on 3.8 that is pretty core, with this release it is intended to exist some level of persistence between major patches. This will finally allow longer progression than just major-patch to major-patch.

So instead of a major progression wipe on 3.9, our currency & purchases made with it are not set to be reset.
    gervaise1
    edited December 2019
    More bits from 3.8's initial testing:

Microtech, planet has LOD issues on current buildas the close-up resolution ain't showing correctly

BabuinixErillion
    More 3.8 testing bits

The new orbital stations are now in the orbit of every major planet's landing zone:

Some screens of the stations new interiors:

Erillion
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Kefo said:
    When they add things that they have been working on for a while and near completion so they look good or they just remove things because they are no longer going to work on them for now or just constantly push them back all the time they aren’t trying to show you any picture or be transparent.
    ...that is how software development works.

You have several branches of the code so multiple teams can work on the code in parallel.

While you do have a base roadmap with main features/fixes setup for particular release, there is plenty of room for stuff that can still go in or out depending on priorities and progression on the tasks.

Projects like these have dozens of code branches and delivery management is quite a thing on it's own.

You grossly underestimate the scale of the project such as 'AAA' MMO or very SC.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I think they use JIRA.

Have fun
    Gdemami said:
    Kefo said:
    When they add things that they have been working on for a while and near completion so they look good or they just remove things because they are no longer going to work on them for now or just constantly push them back all the time they aren’t trying to show you any picture or be transparent.
    ...that is how software development works.

You have several branches of the code so multiple teams can work on the code in parallel.

While you do have a base roadmap with main features/fixes setup for particular release, there is plenty of room for stuff that can still go in or out depending on priorities and progression on the tasks.

Projects like these have dozens of code branches and delivery management is quite a thing on it's own.

You grossly underestimate the scale of the project such as 'AAA' MMO or very SC.
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2019
    Vrika said:
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.
    Cards...wut?

You are looking at it from end-user perspective.

That single 'card' actually represents several tasks among hundreds of tasks of bigger piece of work that was cut into.

Yeah, they are 'hiding' shit load of changes and fixes from you because there is no point reporting evety detail.
    edited December 2019
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:

Cards...wut?

You are looking at it from end-user perspective.

That single 'card' actually represents several tasks among hundreds of tasks of bigger piece of work that was cut into.

Yeah, they are 'hiding' shit load of changes and fixes from you because there is no point reporting evety detail.
    Card is the term used by RSI. 

I asked for cards specifically because I understand that there's no point in reporting us every change and fix. Only those large enough that they're made into their own card.