Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam just removed 1000 games from their library

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited November 2019 in General Gaming
Story here

Based on what I heard on Twitter a good chunk of them seem to be linked to one Russian publisher Dagestan Technology. Most seem to be garbage games, but I suspect there is something else at work here. If anyone finds out anything beyond that go ahead and share.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Scot

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2019
    never heard of a single game on the list.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Same, looks like game spam to me
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LosingplayerLosingplayer Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    I never see one this games 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Is Dagestan the company suing people for bad reviews? 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Tried to find something on that list I had heard of but ended up not finding anything. Asset flips maybe? 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It's kind of spooky. You think you are playing a game, but what is it really?
    PalebaneAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Damn it there goes my wish list up in smoke!
    AmatheGorwerojoArcueidwingoodAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Gorwe said:
    Dagestan? Isn't that a piece of a land, a county of sorts?
    Apparently so!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagestan
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    DMKano said:
    The reason why majority has never heard of these games is because steam has so many garbage games.

There are over 30,000 games on steam....

I wish that Steam would just do a quarterly cleanup and just dump all the garbageware

It would get the entire steam library to under a few thousand games.

problem is they kinda can't, they need to keep the game up till the end of internet, as long there is someone who paid it
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Arterius said:
    Your headline scared me for a sec. Was worried it was going to be a game I was looking at or that I owned.
    If you own a game and its removed- You still can access that game. "removal" merely means removed from sale at the store.

I have at least 4-5 games in my library that were removed- Even when GOE was taken down due to the devs making fake reviews (or whatever happened with that whole incident) I could still play it if I had wanted to...protip- I did not want to. =P
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2019
    DMKano said:
    The reason why majority has never heard of these games is because steam has so many garbage games.

I wish that Steam would just do a quarterly cleanup and just dump all the garbageware

problem is they kinda can't, they need to keep the game up till the end of internet, as long there is someone who paid it
    that's the ideal scenario, but in reality that's not what happens. There have been many games lost forever because digital fronts remove them for any reason they see fit.

Hell, even a physical game (Too Human) and it's digital version during last generation was lost when Epic Games counter-sued Silicon Knights and forced them to remove the game from all stores and destroy all physical copies for allegedly using a stolen version of the Unreal Engine.

Another example is Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Dragonfall. Harebrained Schemes ported them to the Google Play Store a while ago. I bought them there because i found that touchscreen is more comfortable for point and click games. Well, due to the GDPR law Google removed them from the Playstore so i lost my money and the games. They also deleted the receipt from users accounts and all traces proving anyone paid for the games.
    bartoni33wingoodcheyaneAlBQuirkySabrac

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    They need to clean up some of those crap games on steam and only allow more quality games.  I'm not the one to judge whats quality or not, but it sure seems like there are a lot of games that need deleting.  Good to see them clean out some of them!
    bartoni33cheyane

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    You read the whole list to verify that you had never heard of any of the games?
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Well it's a good start. Now they need to get rid of all the RPGMaker games and anything that looks like it came out during the Carter-Reagan years.
    [Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Cleffy said:
    Is Dagestan the company suing people for bad reviews? 
    You can't make a bad review these day without some a-hole developer spamming dislike to your review in youtube and trying to bury you alive.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    DMKano said:

that's the ideal scenario, but in reality that's not what happens. There have been many games lost forever because digital fronts remove them for any reason they see fit.

Hell, even a physical game (Too Human) and it's digital version during last generation was lost when Epic Games counter-sued Silicon Knights and forced them to remove the game from all stores and destroy all physical copies for allegedly using a stolen version of the Unreal Engine.

Another example is Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Dragonfall. Harebrained Schemes ported them to the Google Play Store a while ago. I bought them there because i found that touchscreen is more comfortable for point and click games. Well, due to the GDPR law Google removed them from the Playstore so i lost my money and the games. They also deleted the receipt from users accounts and all traces proving anyone paid for the games.
    What a gangsta move to destroy the evidence like that.
    Scot
    Chamber of Chains
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    DMKano said:

and yet steam permit the game be played as long you had it already, plus its internet if the official channels are off there is always the back channels, the physical copies are good luck find everything too, I know I get shadownrun returns on steam for free so its still there, but I also remember the pirated copy who was around the internet
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    After an extensive research session into the matter, I am happy to report after to speaking to my cousin's uncle on his father's side, who's sisters xboyfriends brother who know some guy who works at Jack in the Box who overheard two dudes talking over a few tacos said, he heard about one of the games on the list.  So now you know,  they aren't all totally unknown.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Just so everyone knows. I have played and 100% completed all the games they removed. 
    AlBQuirky
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Arterius said:
    Your headline scared me for a sec. Was worried it was going to be a game I was looking at or that I owned.
    The games you own will always be available to you even if they drop it from the store.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    DMKano said:

I have my GOG 3 Shadowrun games. I can uninstall and reinstall them whenever I wish, no internet connection required.

As for "physical copies", once bought they are yours until they scratch, break, burn. No one will knock down your door and confiscate them. They may no longer be offered, but the ones sold are still out there, pre-judgement.

THIS is why I hate "digital game distribution" as a whole.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

TEKK3N said:
    Arterius said:
    The games you own will always be available to you even if they drop it from the store.

And if the "store" (or platform) closes?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited November 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Arterius said:

You know you can play Steam games Offline right?
    Download your entire Library, with all games updated and set Offline mode.
    So you can play all your games forever, even IF the platform shuts down (very unlikely).

What some people don't get about Steam is:
    1) It's a FREE Cloud Storage for all your games, so you don't have to buy 50 Terabytes Hard Drives.
    2) Your game is regularly bug fixed by developers (unlike Hard Copies).
    3) You don't lose your game by scratching your CD, which is actually fairly common.
    4) Modding, which add dozens (if not hundreds) of hours to your vanilla game, even though there is Nexus now, but then again, it's nice to have Modding under a single platform.

I really don't understand why people still have issues with Digital Download, quite frankly.
    There is no real downside to it in my opinion.
    edited November 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Arterius said:

You know you can play Steam games Offline right?
    Download your entire Library, with all games updated and set Offline mode.
    So you can play all your games forever, even IF the platform shuts down (very unlikely).

What some people don't get about Steam is:
    1) It's a FREE Cloud Storage for all your games, so you don't have to buy 50 Terabytes Hard Drives.
    2) Your game is regularly bug fixed by developers (unlike Hard Copies).
    3) You don't lose your game by scratching your CD, which is actually fairly common.
    4) Modding, which add dozens (if not hundreds) of hours to your vanilla game, even though there is Nexus now, but then again, it's nice to have Modding under a single platform.

I really don't understand why people still have issues with Digital Download, quite frankly.
    There is no real downside to it in my opinion.
    And when you update your PC? Your HDD crashes? When a game actually codes in a handshake to Steam for verification? (I've had Skyrim ask for an "online connection" on occasion.)

GOG. I have the files. I OWN them. When I install them, there is NO "GOG Intervention." Whether GOG is alive or long gone, my games will always be mine, to install whenever, wherever I wish. But hey, to each their own :)

Really, if you have 50TB of games, you have bigger problems than finding "free disc space."

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Valve has lowered as much standards as possible as far what they allow on them, the most ridiculous random game releases appear, pretty much lowers the rep of the entire shop
    newbismx