Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stadia Users Reporting Chromecasts Overheating, Google Issues Response - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStadia Users Reporting Chromecasts Overheating, Google Issues Response - MMORPG.com News

Stadia users are reporting that the Chromecast Ultras used for game streaming are overheating. Meanwhile, Google has provided us a response with respect to the disparities in resolution and framerates of games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    What a fustercluck.
    TacticalZombeh
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    But remember guys. Stadia is the future!  :#
    Asm0deusdragonlee66[Deleted User]PhaserlightRich84infomatzRoinTacticalZombeh
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'd call it the Fallout 76 of platforms, but Fallout 76 actually has an audience of 5 dedicated weirdos. Stadia aint got shit.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]The_KodellRoinTacticalZombeh
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Mine works flawlessly but I am considering returning it for other reasons.  I got my code the day I got the box. . the 21st I think?

It looks amazing and I have had zero issues - zero noticeable input lag even in the fighting game etc.  I had one 'hitch' once though.

BUT...

What is driving me insane is that I was considering buying a game and had to log into the app on my phone to even view the store.. . WTH. . seriously.  Then. . the pricing isn't competitive for the games.  I also couldn't check my streaming graphics settings other than on my phone.  I love having just a controller to play games but now instead of needing a console I need to always have my phone. . just seems really bad.

Also...

Why pay the $10 a month to streak a game in 4K / 60 . . when the developer has decided to just run an upscale 1080. . I'll just take the free 1080 service later if that is what I decide.

I am also worried that for some reason in the future I could have some internet issues and that might determine my experience. . .

also. . 

just got an xbox one and realized I can stream PC games to the TV that way and xbox games to my PC.  I got Gamepass ultimate for $5 a month or so for 3 years and now when I look at my selection of two Stadia games I just feel sad.

They needed to come out with a bang. . whimper it is.

I might keep it though just on the off chance it improves. . I also already wanted a chromecast.  Fingers crossed they will make it right for the early subs.  If not then meh. . move on.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]infomatz

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Arterius said:

Yeah the problem is that they should have charge $10 for 4K plus do a gamepass like service. New games like Cyberpunk and the like didn't need to go on there but all these games it launched with should have. No reason to be charging the money they are for games almost a year and half old. When I can go to Gamestop or my local game shop and pick up Tomb Raider for the Xbox One or Ps4 for $15 to $30 depending on the game
    Right, RDR 2 is cheaper everywhere else.  Epic had it right . . to break into the market you need to invest and take some initial loss.   The discounts on the games for having Pro. . still leave the games more expensive than they are on Xbox etc.  

I half expect to see the controller sitting in the same drawer that I keep my Vodoo 3Dfx glasses in a year from now.

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    How many here have true unlimited data with their ISP?

infomatz
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited November 2019
    No issues for me currently. Everything has been really smooth. I will say they messed up with the pro tier. It is really bleh. A free game or two a month is great and all but there is no guarantee that they will be worth while games. I would have rather seen a gamepass like tier and a pro tier that gives access to be releases for more money... I would do 25 a month. All Google has to do is follow gamepass and pay out for how many times the game is downloaded. Performance wise.. it is fantastic. When the Stadia Base tier launches everyone should try it IMO.
    [Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Aeander said:
    I'd call it the Fallout 76 of platforms, but Fallout 76 actually has an audience of 5 dedicated weirdos. Stadia aint got shit.
    I mean, compared to Stadia we would have to agree with Todd Howard about FO76... "it just works!"
    [Deleted User]Roin

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    But you guys that jumped in are the guinea pigs to suffer from all the bugs and stuff.

If it is worth it, then there is nothing wrong with jumping on a few months later. 

Why suffer through the obvious and inevitable growing pains. Just wait it out and if everything is great, just jump on later, you dont lose anything if you do.

For me, Stadia is worth it when i feel i need to have it, there is no reason to need to have it now. 
    BruceYeeinfomatz
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    But you guys that jumped in are the guinea pigs to suffer from all the bugs and stuff.

If it is worth it, then there is nothing wrong with jumping on a few months later. 

Why suffer through the obvious and inevitable growing pains. Just wait it out and if everything is great, just jump on later, you dont lose anything if you do.

For me, Stadia is worth it when i feel i need to have it, there is no reason to need to have it now. 
    I like to try new things and see how they start and grow.  I find the experience interesting.  Not for everyone that is for sure.  For the cost it doesn't bother me much.  My friends dad got to beta test high speed internet through cable.  Lots of issues but it was a pretty cool thing to see at the time.  It doesn't always pay off of course :)

Jamar870 said:

I do.  I was paying $65 CDN maybe for 100mpps. . just changed to $72 for 150.  Unlimited.

• McFearMcFear Member UncommonPosts: 14

Aethaeryn said:

Jamar870 said:

I do.  I was paying $65 CDN maybe for 100mpps. . just changed to $72 for 150.  Unlimited.

You wanna know what's messed up? I pay $150 CDN/mo for two 15mbps connections and when fiber finally gets to my house on Dec 19th I'll have 1gbps for $59/mo from the same company. The only upside about my current situation is that there is no limit. (And there will be no limit with the fiber either)
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I am really interested in Stadia right now if my wife wants to use the main tv I have to go into another room and play my games which is fine but that is owning two consoles would be cool to just go to the other tv. My two concerns are if it doesn't explode like google wants it to is it something else they are going to just drop? With a console if you have the games you can basically depend on it forever. My second concern is the games price themselves why are they full price for year old games even Game Stop is selling digital games for huge discounts right now red dead redemption for Xbox One is 29.99 for the digital version. I would like to know will we ever be able to buy Stadia stuff at a store like Best Buy?
    I do have unlimited internet and my download speed is 450 mbps down so I am not to worried about that.  
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Jamar870 said:

Most Europeans. Where I'm from you can't even buy a limited connection unless you want mobile connection, and even with mobile internet a connection without data cap would only cost 32€/month (for 4G/3G speeds up to 300 mbps).

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The biggest issue with stadia is that they basically sold it to everyone and infrastructure doesn't dictate that it's a good fit for everyone. You're bound to have issues in that situation.
    Roin

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Aeander said:
    Stadia is the future and it always will be.  Because the corporate types who think thin clients are fine because they don't use a computer for anything more demanding than checking e-mail will never give up on trying to convince gamers to accept the drawbacks of thin clients.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    Quizzical said:
    Aeander said:
    Stadia is the future and it always will be.  Because the corporate types who think thin clients are fine because they don't use a computer for anything more demanding than checking e-mail will never give up on trying to convince gamers to accept the drawbacks of thin clients.
    But many PC purists fail to see the benefits of streaming services.  It's a two way street. I'm looking forward to the day that we can have great streaming content, but I won't stop buying hardware when I want it either.   There's room for both.
    [Deleted User]Roin

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Jamar870 said:

Here in the UK 250mbit unlimited data £35($45) month.

The biggest issue with stadia is that they basically sold it to everyone and infrastructure doesn't dictate that it's a good fit for everyone. You're bound to have issues in that situation.

Seems to be a pretty good success so far in a variety of places.

Quizzical said:

Aeander said:

Being about to make a purchase and in seconds be playing is pretty sweet. No downloads , virtually no waiting and plenty of room for devs to learn and take advantage of the hardware. It is only going to get better.

I say to everyone. Don't knock it until you try it.
    SlyLoK said:

Seems to be a pretty good success so far in a variety of places.

In a variety of places doesn't mean it's for everyone. For example my next door neighbor and I can both have stadia and I could be fine and they could be barely playable based on their connection and device. I was in the beta for stadia "project stream" and I never had an issue with it when I was testing it, but I also have a 1GBPS fiber connection with no data caps, and as my business is in IT my home network is pretty good to say the least. But for the average player, who knows, it's a crap-shoot. The service isn't ready for everyone. Not yet anyways.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiinfomatzRoin

DMKano said:
    Stadia lag input test results ( it's not good)

Exactly what I was saying though, he states it in the video, "These results can only be actively compared to themselves, not reviewers using different methods and different hardware".  

Basically, as I was saying, results may vary.  

During my test, I saw very little input lag, except about once every hour when I had a big bite of latency. It looked like a huge stutter in the gameplay, but was infrequent at best. 
    SlyLoK

DMKano said:

Digital Foundry had different findings. Some great. Some not so great. I think Metro was one that wasn't that good.

So far I've had zero issues with Destiny 2 and AC Odyssey.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

DMKano said:

This is his expierience, as we have seen experiences vary greatly. I'm not saying stadia is great or anything but there are those having good experiences. Inconsistency is reeeally a bad thing thou.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby