Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Nice and Clean Space Sim

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
edited November 2019 in Star Citizen
It used to be that the future was depicted as perfectly neat, orderly, and clean. Think Star Trek

Later, artists began leaning towards futuristic, but gritty and used looking. Think Alien and Blade Runner.

Star Citizen seems to be a return to the squeaky clean vision of space. Granted I haven't looked at all, or even most, of the screens and videos. But from what i have looked at I don't think there is even a gum wrapper out of place or a single fingerprint.

Maybe that is where all the money goes - paying a cleaning crew to mop up the entire universe every night?

But seriously, I think someone needs to give this game an artistic pass that makes it look less like a new toy fresh out of the box and more like G.I. Joe after my childhood friends and I played with it for weeks. :)  Or if you prefer, more like Alien and Blade Runner

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2019
    Ah this greatly depends on the area, if you search up Arccorp, or Grimhex, even Hurston, you'll find different themes, heavy populated/industrial, heavily industrial & polluted, up to criminal vibe areas.

On criminal outpost Grimhex you might wake up in a HAB room where a murder has taken place, as an example.

Arccorp is pretty much inspired by Blade Runner, and Star Wars Coruscant city covered planet. 

If you watched the recent stream showing Microtech it's new planet with a landing zone belonging to a very high tech company, that's where the very tidy and slick design comes in.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    ErillionKyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Well those two screens are a tad messy I will grant you. I say a tad, because maybe you have never lived in a fraternity house. But I am really talking more about the overall impression given.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited November 2019
    Amathe said:
    Well those two screens are a tad messy I will grant you. I say a tad, because maybe you have never lived in a fraternity house. But I am really talking more about the overall impression given.
    I think they are using a good amount of props and work on the areas that should look messy like that hall with beer bottles and trash and such all over the place.

I do know how crazy a frat house can look but like you realize your poor client FPS would rip rendering that much mess spread all over the place? :p 

In place, a trash biome instead

The impression given? You mean because by default players start on a normal station and start finding the different planets and zones later?
    Amathe
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "You mean because by default players start on a normal station and start finding the different planets and zones later?" 

I guess it's what you define as "normal."

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    The landing spaces have a variety of looks - from clean and spotless  to trash dumps.

The ships and vehicles have a quite clean look, that is true. Star Wars has a more "used and old" feel of its machines and ships in the Star Wars movies.

Most space ship games have a cleaner look. Including Elite and NMS. Because making it look damaged and used needs more computing power, as this is usually an extra graphics layer on top of the "undamaged" version of the vehicle.

I rather have more performance than a slightly used look.

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    As a former EVE player I'm just happy to be able to see the inside of my ship, nevermind what condition its in.

;)
    gervaise1ErillionPhaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kyleran said:
    As a former EVE player I'm just happy to be able to see the inside of my ship, nevermind what condition its in.

;)
    Hey, your avatar COULD walk around in your crisp, clean captains quarter !  ;-)

And watch your ship spin ....

Have fun
    edited November 2019
    @Amathe interestingly about this topic as the 3.8 update just hit the PTU the initial patch notes already shown a new option to start the game where you want and not on the old fixed station, that should have peeps able to play on this more unique type of locations

• Players now have the ability to select their initial spawn location when it is their first time logging into the game.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on