Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer will have MTX

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,847

Cyberpunk 2077 - multiplayer mode will have micropayments

During the latest financial conference call from CD Projekt, it was revealed that the multiplayer mode in Cyberpunk 2077 is at an early stage of creation. We also learned that it is planned to implement a well thought-out micropayment system.

We could read a few months ago that the new production of the Polish studio CD Projekt - Cyberpunku 2077 - should appear several months ago. Then the creators did not give any particulars about it. They only assured that multiplayer gameplay would not be available during the release of the game. A few days ago, during a financial teleconference, CD Projekt's Vice President of Finance, Piotr Nielubowicz, confirmed that the multiplayer mode is already at an early stage of production.

"What can be seen on the balance sheet comes mainly from Cyberpunk - single and multi-person, with the latter being a smaller project that is just beginning. We also have a few other things at an early stage, but as I said, the vast majority of expenses are related to the Cyberpunk universe."

And although we still do not have accurate information on what the multiplayer mode will look like, we have learned that there will be micropayments in it. The CEO, Adam Kiciński, assures, however, that they will be done in a thoughtful way and in accordance with the company's policy - they will offer the right value for money. It is worth remembering that this whole project (multiplayer and micropayment mode) is still at an early stage of development, and the developers plan to add it to the game only some time after its release.

During the conference call, the creators of Cyberpunk 2077 also referred to whether their production will appear on the new generation consoles. Once again, no details were given, although it was assured that the company was keeping an eye on what was happening on the market. Sooner or later developers will do something in this direction, however, no specific actions should be expected during the premiere of new Sony and Microsoft devices.

During the talks there was also a question about virtual reality and the recently announced new production of Valve - Half-Life: Alyx. According to the creators of Cyberpunk 2077, this is a very niche product targeted at a specific group of recipients. The Polish studio has not heard of anyone in the industry building a solid business based on such a system, although it does not exclude that it may change in a few years. Currently, however, CD Projekt does not even think about VR technology.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be released on April 16, 2020 on personal computers and on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles. The title will be available in the full Polish language version (dubbing and subtitles).

https://www.gry-online.pl/newsroom/cyberpunk-2077-tryb-multiplayer-jest-na-wczesnym-etapie-tworzenia/z31d09e

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

pantaroNyctelios

Comments

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,847
    At least we are getting a buttload of singleplayer content. Free DLC, two Blood and Wine style expansions, and worthwhile updates before the multiplayer. Depending on the MTX its an automatic skip
    Gdemami

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,268
    Bleh was afraid they would do this *bloody  gta rockstar crap*...that said I am into this for the single player portion of the game so as long as they don't half ass that I don't mind so much about mtx in multiplayer.

Thing is they better not tie in single player to the MP aspect or mode or they will get lots of backlash.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 514
    This was one of the very few triple A games i was looking forward to. If true they can keep it!

I don't care how thought out the micro transactions are,there are many single player narrative based games that seem to want to tack multiplayer on just to do it and almost always is because the company wants to make more than just the 60 bucks or less that we will pay for the game.

the best part is how they have been telling us all how they are the good guys over and over again and using the witcher as an example of that. time will tell tho 
    Gdemami
    Asm0deus said:
    Bleh was afraid they would do this *bloody  gta rockstar crap*...that said I am into this for the single player portion of the game so as long as they don't half ass that I don't mind so much about mtx in multiplayer.

Thing is they better not tie in single player to the MP aspect or mode or they will get lots of backlash.
    It shouldn't tie in at all. They have just started going full speed on the multiplayer mode and keep saying it won't be done for a few years yet. My guess would be that it will be a free update for the PS5 and Scarlett when Cyberpunk hits that console which won't be for a while. At gamescon they said it wouldn't be till after 2021. So far they are at least being transparent which is nice. So I have no reason not to believe that they won't release the plethora of single player dlc and expansions they talked about during E3 and Gamescon.

My fear is more how multiplayer will affect the sequel.
    Gdemami

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,431
    I said they were doing this months ago and was criticized for saying it. 
    They are huge fans of Rockstar. They emulate all that they do. 
    Fear not about their single player content it will be everything their fans want and more. Multiplayer? Look for another game if you don't like GTA online. 
    Because this will be CyberGTA Online all the way.  
    ArteriuspantaroTorvalAsm0deusGdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,056
    They can't put aside resources for a third person camera option, but can do so for a MTX-laden multiplayer mode. Smh.
    bartoni33ArteriusMaddog666RemaliGdemamialkarionlog
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    edited November 2019
    Eh, kind of expected tbh.
    Multiplayer means hosting servers and paying for that bandwidth. Microtransactions are a way to cover those costs. I was fine with what Mass Effect 3 had in the way of MTX. It was still fun to play without giving in and buying the lootboxes.
    Maddog666

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,821
    Until they betray my trust I'll wait for judgement.

I have spoken.
    NyghthowlerTorval
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; Genshin Impact

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Nyctelios said:
    Until they betray my trust I'll wait for judgement.

I have spoken.
    This is the stance I am taking as well. I usually skip multiplayer in most games anyway. So if we get a super solid single player campaign and the two expansions they promised then I would be more then happy. If for some reason the game comes out though and they say they are focusing on multiplayer so they scrapped the expansions though, then I would be ruffled.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    Arterius said:

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    Arterius said:

Sure its just like how EA has surprise mechanics haha  ;)
    NorseGod

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited November 2019
    Just as an FYI, they did not mention MTX. All they said is that they don't know how they will monetize multiplayer yet. It is very likely just going to be charged for like a DLC rather then a free update. There are other ways to monetize MP then MTX.

Here is the exact quote:

As far as the monetization of multiplayer for Cyberpunk is concerned, we believe right now it’s definitely too early to share any details on that or give guidance; the project is in a relatively early stage. We keep experimenting – that’s our first multiplayer game. We check various options and possibilities, and it’s definitely not the time to point you to a specific direction on that. Of course you can expect that we won’t change our general policy towards “deals with gamers” so I expect wise monetization and – always – value for money

Nyctelios
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member UncommonPosts: 197
    edited November 2019
    Aeander said:
    They can't put aside resources for a third person camera option, but can do so for a MTX-laden multiplayer mode. Smh.
    That has never been a question of resources. They stated in many interviews that this was a design choice to reinforce RPG elements.

Whether you believe it or not is up to you, of course, but it's a bit silly to think that a company with almost 900 employees would skip a game feature because they can't spare a couple of devs.

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member UncommonPosts: 197
    pantaro said:
    This was one of the very few triple A games i was looking forward to. If true they can keep it!
    You do realize they already use MTX, don't you?

Gwent has had micro payments built into it since forever. If a small (Gwent-style) part of Cyberpunk has a similar system, I have no problem with it.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,153
    In other news CoD: Modern Warfare has no supply drops (loot crates), map packs, MTX, or RMT except for some Vet charity pack. Star Wars Fallen Order has a "deluxe pack" but no cash shop, RMT, or loot crates. That's Activision and EA in case it's not obvious. So what? Is this opposite world now? :lol:
    blueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Celcius said:
    Just as an FYI, they did not mention MTX. All they said is that they don't know how they will monetize multiplayer yet. It is very likely just going to be charged for like a DLC rather then a free update. There are other ways to monetize MP then MTX.

Here is the exact quote:

As far as the monetization of multiplayer for Cyberpunk is concerned, we believe right now it’s definitely too early to share any details on that or give guidance; the project is in a relatively early stage. We keep experimenting – that’s our first multiplayer game. We check various options and possibilities, and it’s definitely not the time to point you to a specific direction on that. Of course you can expect that we won’t change our general policy towards “deals with gamers” so I expect wise monetization and – always – value for money

Sure. As you can see by my profile pic I am looking forward to this game ALOT. Its my most anticipated game I think... Ever. However, lets not sugar coat this. They are looking into various options and possibilities and though they never threw out the word MTX I believe strongly this is what they were alluding to. They have mentioned before that though they are against MTX they know how enticing it is because of the amount of money one could make.

Sure my title was a little clicky batey but the fact they are even looking into how they can make money off the multiplayer when just a few months ago they said that there plan was for multiplayer to be a free update. That was when they officially talked about multiplayer by saying its moving forward and no longer in the think thank phase. Now obviously they haven't confirmed a dang thing about multiplayer and I don't expect to see it until next E3 at best. They never even really confirmed it would be free but we have to stop looking at CDPR as the good guys and look at them as another company whose end goal is to make money and keep investors happy.

I mean its been rumored for a while that Cyberpunk 2077 is costing a lot of money and is behind scheduled. I don't know if I believe that but it speaks volumes that they have said they are going to do anything in there power to have this game finished by April 2020 even if it means serious crunch time. Then just last month or so the director said that half of his team believes they can hit the date and half of them are worried about it. He stated again that there is no plans to push back the date and that April 2020 is when the game will launch.

Could be that putting MTX in the multiplayer might be a good way to recoup losses if in fact they are spending a lot of money on this project and getting it out the door by April. 
    Gdemami

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,821
    Torval said:
    In other news CoD: Modern Warfare has no supply drops (loot crates), map packs, MTX, or RMT except for some Vet charity pack. Star Wars Fallen Order has a "deluxe pack" but no cash shop, RMT, or loot crates. That's Activision and EA in case it's not obvious. So what? Is this opposite world now? :lol:
    This is the way.
    Gdemami
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; Genshin Impact

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,322
    As was said before, this is CDR, so I do believe they've earned enough trust to at least deserve a "wait and see." They've also been upfront about a lot of design choices just so people know what to expect before buying their product, so I'd say just wait until it gets released. Plus they already said the multiplayer wont be out until a while after the game anyway.
    Sovrath
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,761
    Fear not about their single player content it will be everything their fans want and more. Multiplayer? Look for another game if you don't like GTA online. 
    The problem is that some players are looking for a video game developer savior. The company who will stand up for them and "buck the trend" of additional transactions because only the greedy companies do this.

Except, it very well might be that some companies need to do this so that they can stay afloat.

Of course, it depends on the "how" they do it but I bet CD Projekt will do it in as fair a way as possible. 
    Albatroes
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I'm always more than willing to give a dev a shot on implementing MTX. If it doesn't give an advantage I'm fine with that. Even better if the items can be earned in game with a reasonable amount of effort.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,322
    edited November 2019
    Sovrath said:
    The problem is that some players are looking for a video game developer savior. The company who will stand up for them and "buck the trend" of additional transactions because only the greedy companies do this.

Except, it very well might be that some companies need to do this so that they can stay afloat.

Of course, it depends on the "how" they do it but I bet CD Projekt will do it in as fair a way as possible. 
    Pretty much. I know its apples and oranges in terms of upfront cost, but you can look at a company like Grinding Gear Games as a pretty fair company when it comes to monetization. Compare that to like diablo 4, which is still years off but Blizzard already confirming mtx will be in the game with no offline option.
    SovrathGdemami