Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The strongest asset of WoW, yet unused.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

The Social panel is the players BEST friend ! 

-Directly at level one you can use the social panel to view populations of a server. You don't even have to move your character one inch. You can SEE EVERYTHING THAT’S GOING ON with zero experience. 

-Need a tank or healer, find them in the social panel…..Maybe their already in a dungeon, you'll know that too ! 

-Searching for a Guild, Type the guild in social panel, you see who on and what the guild is up to at that time. 

-Trying to remember a good player from the night before and can't remember his name, use the social panel and narrow the search to their class and level. 

-Thinking of rolling a needed class, type it in along with filters 10-20, see if it's really a needed class. 

-I refer to the social panel at least three times every time I play for a few hours for various reasons…. Yet most don't even know it's their. 

-I see people re-asking the same questions over and over in open chat that yields nothing, yet the social panel can answer many of them instantly. 

Very powerful tool with filters and drop down's to help you search in so many ways.

NanfoodleScot

Comments

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    OK
    delete5230
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I would say the canclelation of reoccurring charges.
    delete5230Nanfoodle
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2019
    I can't say I get this one, delete... how is it in connection with Wow, and unused by Blizz, the players?

Social panel ain't an asset, it's a tool. Most games have it - at least I assume, those I play or have played all have. And your observation applies to them too, it's a rarely used / fully neglected tool for a lot of players.

What I'm trying to say is it ain't a Blizz specific issue... not even a game type specific one, whether it has raid focus, or crafting/economy, or just PvE questing the social tab is usually "just there". I remember back in TSW Funcom even had some extra features added into it and put out a separate dev letter about encouraging its use... 

... but hey, it's great you find it useful, me too. We're in the minority, and you can't force anyone to use a tool they don't want to. I can't argue either with the fact that a simple LFG yell in chat often gets you in a group much sooner, let alone an instance finder tool (which most games also have), so the other camp's view on ignoring the social panel is just as valid.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

The Social panel is the players BEST friend ! 

-Directly at level one you can use the social panel to view populations of a server. You don't even have to move your character one inch. You can SEE EVERYTHING THAT’S GOING ON with zero experience. 

Because i love to have random lugnuts pestering me and demanding stuff.

-Need a tank or healer, find them in the social panel…..Maybe their already in a dungeon, you'll know that too ! 

Because i love to have random lugnuts pestering me and demanding stuff when i am doing stuff and getting pissy about me not replying. 

-Searching for a Guild, Type the guild in social panel, you see who on and what the guild is up to at that time. 

I generally find it is the other way around... Rando guilds spamming you to join their 5 man operation.

-Trying to remember a good player from the night before and can't remember his name, use the social panel and narrow the search to their class and level. 

As long as they are not offline or just avoiding you... see first reply.

-Thinking of rolling a needed class, type it in along with filters 10-20, see if it's really a needed class. 

Ok i give you this one... You actually found a use for it. 
    Kyleran

This have been a good conversation

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Pretty sure this doesn't count as "unused" since people use this every day. 
    bcbully
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I used to use it all the time when looking for certain classes for endgame dungeons, just did /who in the area I was in and whispered people. Sure sometimes people hate being whispered randomly, but it usually filled up a party in a few mins instead of spamming chat. 
    PalebaneWaan
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Give him a break....he was probably going to miss his thread quota for the month. 
    pantaroYukmarcbcbully
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I used to use it all the time when looking for certain classes for endgame dungeons, just did /who in the area I was in and whispered people. Sure sometimes people hate being whispered randomly, but it usually filled up a party in a few mins instead of spamming chat. 
    Sometimes? I despise random invites, especially if the person doesn't contact me via text chat me first to discuss.

If a game has such a feature it also needs commands to hide a character from others view for when players don't want to be bothered.

Palebane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited November 2019
    It always amuses me when MMO games’ social features are worse than Everquest. WoW is only a couple steps behind. So, acceptable. Most are really atrocious imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Palebane said:
    It always amuses me when MMO games’ social features are worse than Everquest. WoW is only a couple steps behind. So, acceptable. Most are really atrocious imo.
    This one i'm trying to figure out,
    Social features are the same across the board for all mmoprg's.  The social panel I'm referring to is the same for all (no one uses it). Their are other choices that's a lifelong argument here on this site.

LFG tools
    Dynamic group events
    Easy game play where you don't need anyone

Retail WoW with all its expansions has all three alternatives !
    So by saying WoW is only a few steps behind and others are atrocious is a bad assessment on your part, because their the only options.

If your referring to Classic WoW, remember it's a 2004 game that's kept traditional because of demand...... Using the social features given FIXES the problem, developers were expecting people to use the social feature (but no one does).

So if you have a million dollar idea that fixes this problem better you should offer it, because no one else has ! 
    Palebane
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited November 2019
    In terms of simplicity and efficiency, EQ had very simple /lfg and /who chat functions with which a player could find all the info they need to form a group. 

WoW, and many other MMO games (even the other good ones) have convoluted it too much imo. You have to pick an activity and the game finds groups for you. While that may be convenient, it’s completely at odds with the community aspect of the games imo, which is the reason I consider their robotic social features atrocious, and WoW to be two steps behind.

As far as a solution, one would need a time machine imo, because servers are larger now, different people play the games now also and have different values, as characterized by (or perhaps because of) terrible social features and values. Even EQ tried to emulate the newer LFG “features” at some point.

Im not just trying to fling poo. I hear what you are saying. Social features have come a long way, and WoWs is easy and efficient, it just seems very detached. Impersonal. Perhaps it is just me who has changed lol.
    Post edited by Palebane on

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

delete5230 said:t
    Palebane said:
    Social features are the same across the board for all mmoprg's.  The social panel I'm referring to is the same for all (no one uses it). Their are other choices that's a lifelong argument here on this site.

LFG tools
    Dynamic group events

So by saying WoW is only a few steps behind and others are atrocious is a bad assessment on your part, because their the only options.

If your referring to Classic WoW, remember it's a 2004 game that's kept traditional because of demand...... Using the social features given FIXES the problem, developers were expecting people to use the social feature (but no one does).

So if you have a million dollar idea that fixes this problem better you should offer it, because no one else has ! 
    The problem you are trying to fix has no good or easy solution a dev can implement, as the issue is MMOs are designed to be played with other people.

I've long said we don't need better games, we need better gamers to play them with.

I suspect you would be a decent sort to game with, but some of the others here,  not so much.

(I'm  sure they feel the same about me)

;)

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kyleran said:
    Palebane said:

LFG tools
    Dynamic group events

The problem you are trying to fix has no good or easy solution a dev can implement, as the issue is MMOs are designed to be played with other people.

I've long said we don't need better games, we need better gamers to play them with.

I suspect you would be a decent sort to game with, but some of the others here,  not so much.

;)

Honestly I think he maybe the type to pst 3-4 times a day to help with a quest, or to try role playing a dungeon with all rogues... I’m sure he’s the type to say “come help now! This asshole keeps stealing my ore and killing me...

i could be wrong, but I doubt it.
    Palebane[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited November 2019
    bcbully said:
    Kyleran said:
    Palebane said:

LFG tools
    Dynamic group events

;)

Honestly I think he maybe the type to pst 3-4 times a day to help with a quest, or to try role playing a dungeon with all rogues... I’m sure he’s the type to say “come help now! This asshole keeps stealing my ore and killing me...

Perhaps, but I'm not sure doing any of those things is necessarily wrong, even though personally it isn't the way I would roll.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    bcbully said:
    Kyleran said:
    Palebane said:

LFG tools
    Dynamic group events

;)

I'm totally the opposite of selfish, 
    I'm contently looking to help others.  Almost instantly once I join a guild I ask "anyone my level or below need help ?"...... I never care about sharing quest or xp.... never cared about level unless their was an ability I really wanted or something to that effect. I bring people together, that's what I love to do. PLAY WITH PEOPLE.

Playing with people is why I'm waiting for Pantheon or SoL.  I was hoping P1999 would work out but the game is severely OLD and BROKEN, and no, I don't care about graphics, I could care less.

Why do people here hate me ?.... Because the above describes what an mmoprg really is END OF STORY...... The rest is crap cheap off takes and money grabs.

I'm angry, but only here, and will not yield to games that are not mmorpgs.   
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Kyleran said:
    Sometimes? I despise random invites, especially if the person doesn't contact me via text chat me first to discuss.

If a game has such a feature it also needs commands to hide a character from others view for when players don't want to be bothered.

I wasn't referring to random invites, I meant I used the /who panel to whisper people to ask if they wanted to join my party for X dungeon. Would never just send invites out without talking to the person first. 
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Kyleran said:

I wasn't referring to random invites, I meant I used the /who panel to whisper people to ask if they wanted to join my party for X dungeon. Would never just send invites out without talking to the person first. 
    Yikes, is that any better? Same fruit from a different branch, it sounds like. Smells of desperation. Where'd you park your panel van? What's that cloth in your hand? What's that smell? Why do I feel sleepy.....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

Since Brad just died, you may wait for Pantheon for a very long time...
    I think the wait will be long regardless,  they have years to go until completion. 

Just depends on how long their dev funding holds out..then it will launch.

edited November 2019
    Gutlard said:
    Kyleran said:

Yikes, is that any better? Same fruit from a different branch, it sounds like. Smells of desperation. Where'd you park your panel van? What's that cloth in your hand? What's that smell? Why do I feel sleepy.....

Gut Out!
    Actually, that's a common approach which is still used in DAOC and its freeshards.

Game has slash commands to mask a player from being contacted if they wish or to even mask their titles such as Master Crafter to avoid being bothered.

It's a good system and very necessary to find replacements for standing camp groups.

Perhaps you never played any of the old school grouping games?
    Panther2103Palebane