Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sad Day for the MMORPG Genre - A legend has passed. (Brad McQuaid)

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Eronakis said:

Why would anyone make this up?

Are you new to the internet ?!?

Theres plently of people who post "xxx is dead" threads in forums, with xxx typically being some famous actor, like Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood or, when she was infamous for her drug abuse, Lindsay Lohan.

I was 100% sure this is fake when I saw this thread, sadly a quick google proved me wrong, plenty of news sites are reporting it.

Since McQuaid is hardly older than I am, I was extra shocked.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I didn't know Brad, nor ever met him. EverQuest was my introduction to MMOR{Gs. I can thank or curse him for that ;)

I wish his friends, family, and colleagues well. Rest in Peace.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2019
    Betaguy said:
    [mod edit}

OT, sad news. The man touched many lives and introduced many to worlds they could only dream of before that. Good luck to family and friends.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by Vaross on
    BeezerbeezEronakiscraftseeker
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Goodbye to a man who brought us two MMORPGs, with a third in his sights.  His presence will be missed.  If anything, Brad had a solid record of being able to produce this type of game, no matter if you liked it or had questions.

I'm with @DMKano on this.  Pantheon and VR will be very interesting viewing for the foreseeable future.  There's just so many possibilities, which one will gain traction?  I think everyone hopes for the best, but there are humans involved.  The final outcome is definitely up in the air.

Phaserlightcraftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited November 2019
    RIP

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I hope Pantheon gets made to honor his memory and a big area is named after him in game.  Even better, a storyline / quest that highlights Aradune.    

SovrathEronakis

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There is a petition in Project 1999 to add Brad's character Aradune as an NPC, which you can sign if you play P99. See below. It would be nice to see regular Everquest do the same, to honor him.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341693

cheyane[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    RIBits
    May your final save file never be deleted.
    May you enjoy infinite lives in the ultimate universe of your making.
    May your journey and destination forever be equally enjoyable.
    May you know peace until your family joins you many years from now.
    May they have peace now in knowing that you created worlds that provided thousands of hours of enjoyment to fellow nerds who appreciated it most.
    Safe travels until we meet again.

Gut Out!
    Cryomatrix

What, me worry?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2019
    Amathe said:
    There is a petition in Project 1999 to add Brad's character Aradune as an NPC, which you can sign if you play P99. See below. It would be nice to see regular Everquest do the same, to honor him.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341693

Regular Everquest already did so, and I always felt the senior Dev lead for ClicheQuest in the web comic the Noob was the ultimate parody of Brad which will immortalize him forever. 

http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/180/

http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/186/

http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/210/
    AmatheAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I just hope they release Pantheon the way Brad envisioned it and not take the "more profitable route". It will be his final parting gift to all of us in the genre.

While alot of people disagreed with his approach he should be remembered for what his games did. He wanted to make something much more then just a game in the mmos he worked on, they were worlds which brought people together from every walk of life. They build communities and built life long relationships. His games truly represented what makes the mmo genre so special. He was the man who laid the ground work for all the mmos many of us play now. Without him this genre might of never happened.

He will forever be a legend of the MMO genre. RIP Brad
    Eronakis
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Didn't he steal $50k from the pantheon kickstarter? Cool fella.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    evilized said:

We remember and judge people at death based on their best moments and the good they have done, not their lowest.  Brad did quite a lot of good.  He will be remembered for the good he did by a great many people who either like, respect, or love him. You, I suspect, will not be remembered at all. 

SovrathSinsaiEronakisKyleranAlBQuirkyGdemami

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Amathe said:
    evilized said:

We remember and judge people at death based on their best moments and the good they have done, not their lowest.  Brad did quite a lot of good.  He will be remembered for the good he did by a great many people who either like, respect, or love him. You, I suspect, will not be remembered at all. 

And thus we allow future people to die of drugs too.

Brad did some great things, but he also had large problems. We feel better if we choose to close our eyes and pretend this isn't yet another known drug user dying too young for unexplained causes.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Sad to hear, was hoping he would one day make an appearance on the countdown to classic podcast to talk about the struggles of making Everquest. I never have played Everquest but I do appreciate what he did for the genre. Hope that Pantheon sees the light of day.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    My condolences to Brad's family and friends. 

Once upon a time....

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Is it confirmed that Brad died from drugs? Or is this just conspiracy theory nonsense?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Eronakis said:
    Is it confirmed that Brad died from drugs? Or is this just conspiracy theory nonsense?
    It has not been confirmed, so everyone is making assumptions.
    KyleranSovrathAlBQuirkyAmathe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Tiller said:
    Eronakis said:
    When people heard the news I am sure 99% of them had 'drug overdose' go through their mind before anything else.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    rodarin said:
    Tiller said:
    Eronakis said:
    When people heard the news I am sure 99% of them had 'drug overdose' go through their mind before anything else.
    Given the history, and the suddenness of the whole thing, not to mention the missing bit of information I consider it possible. Not judging either way, demons are demons but its a shitty way to go regardless. I mean if he had been in an accident or some illness I think it wouldve been mentioned already.
    Eronakis
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Kayo83 said:
    rodarin said:
    Tiller said:
    Eronakis said:
    Given the history, and the suddenness of the whole thing, not to mention the missing bit of information I consider it possible. Not judging either way, demons are demons but its a shitty way to go regardless. I mean if he had been in an accident or some illness I think it wouldve been mentioned already.
    This.  Only one reason to not say anything on the cause.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    In general. It is best not to speculate about a death. It is none of our business. 

But given epidemiology, people that pass suddenly (and are relatively young) usually do it from the following issues:

- burst aneurysm or vessel abnormality in the brain
    - Trauma - gunshot, car accident, fall, etc
    - Sudden cardiac death - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a common one, etc
    - Overwhelming bacterial infection - staph aureus is notorious for this
    - Suicide via firearms or intentional drug ingestion
    - Accidental drug overdose
    - Overwhelming respiratory lung infection - Yes, I've seen Flu kill a 5 year old in 12 hours
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited November 2019
    Vrika said:
    Amathe said:
    evilized said:

And thus we allow future people to die of drugs too.

Brad did some great things, but he also had large problems. We feel better if we choose to close our eyes and pretend this isn't yet another known drug user dying too young for unexplained causes.
    People will die of drug overdoses. Nothing anyone can or will do will stop them. Literature, drug help programs on almost every street corner and in every doctor's office, former drug users making lecture circuits. People will die of drug overdoses because they want to. They KNOW all about drugs.

No need to "use" someone's death as a sounding board for social reforms, yes?

[edit]
    That was crass and inappropriate. People who die of drug usage don't "want" to die, though some may. Most just have dependency troubles. But I stand by my appropriate times to bring it up statement.
    Mendel

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Pink_CandyPink_Candy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Aw damn. R.I.P. Brad. Very sad news, indeed. :'(
    I am not a "gamer girl". I am a gamer. I play video games.
    I don't take slutty pictures while holding a controller