Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So my wife says . . .

124»

Comments

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Some people don't know balance. Maybe you're too old to be playing games in the manner in which you play them. Maybe your wife is just bored and is irritated that you aren't because you have a relatively cheap hobby. Maybe you're just getting fat and pasty because you never go outside.

Work out a balance.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    You guys are nuts. I didn't come here seeking marriage counseling. I came here literally just more pissed off that my wife things games are childish compared to watching TV.  

Had she said, "don't you think you could spend your time more wisely than playing video games?" I wouldn't have posted anything because the issue was the childish part. 

But to the guy who said gaming is escapism and an escape drug, i completely agree and it is that for me. But I do also enjoy it greatly and when I have time to play I do. I also work 60-80 hours a week, have multiple administrative positions at work, and come into work for free to get shit done that needs to be done. 

So I do partake in video games but I also work hard and I'm a damn good employee :)
    Gdemamiultimateduck
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Maybe he's in the l33t raid getting phat lewtz and she's still in LFR...

Gut Out!
    ultimateduck

What, me worry?

Arterius said:
    I see. So your wives problems may not be that you play games and that they are for kids but that you obviously spend what little time you do have playing video games. Maybe she was just lashing out at video games because she needs attention
    You guys are all licensed marriage therapists now? Nice. I'll just come to you guys for advice in the future. It'll be free. Or better yet. I open up my own online marriage therapy and when i help someone, I just copy and paste their email here and get all the amazing advice and then i regurgitate back to the client and boom easy money. I should do that right? 

Next time, I should have said, I hate it when someone calls video games childish not realizing that TV is even more childish than video games. It's a common lingering issue with perception vs reality in a millions of other things. 

Gdemami
    We're all real doctors like Dre & Laura.

Gut Out!
    Cryomatrixultimateduck

What, me worry?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Sounds like the 1 millionth excuse to pretend like one is superior.
    Gdemami
    first mistake is "wife" 

I was playing SC 2 last night 1v1 and i went into a fight and the opposing player said, "It's a trap". 

I said, something to the tune of that's what General Akbar said as I was getting decimated :). I lost the game. 
    [Deleted User]
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    DO what you enjoy doing in life....who cares what someone else thinks.
    bentrim said:
    To be fair, it isn't "someone"... it's his wife.
    Gdemami
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    The negative stigma on video games is no different than people who thought talking pictures were inferior to silent ones.

Just this year, video games helped me quit smoking cigarettes, a 10 year bad habit started as a confused teenager. I needed something to occupy my hands and mind when cravings hit. Nothing helped it more than cracking skulls in the Crucible or killing monsters in Grim Dawn. 

SovrathCryomatrixGdemami
    edited November 2019
    We all have our things. My wife reads... a lot. She will read about vampires or faeries or magic realms but refuses to play games that revolve around those, even story driven games. She then calls me a Dungeons and Dragon dork because I play video games.

Luckily I have thick skin and am pretty secure in my "manliness". I know she's kidding 95% of the time and lashing out for other reasons the other 5%. It's part of being married.

Oddly enough, when we meet people and they ask what I do, I say I'm retired. She will chime in with "he's a Dungeons and Dragons dork, he plays video games all day" (which I don't)... the  guy at the other end of the conversation always says "cool, what games do you play?"...lol
    Gutlard
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    bentrim said:
    Marriage takes alot of compromise and adjustment....You can't just do what you want all the time or it definitely will not work out in the long run.
    ultimateduckSovrathAmatheAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    bentrim said:
    Marriage takes alot of compromise and adjustment....You can't just do what you want all the time or it definitely will not work out in the long run.
    Just marry someone else.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    bentrim said:
    I saw an entertainer once (forget his name) who had been married for something like 50 years. He was asked the secret to his success. He said:

"When a man gets married, he must realize there are things he will have to give up. And the first of those things is hope."
    ultimateduckCryomatrixAlBQuirkyPink_Candy

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Amathe said:
    bentrim said:
    I saw an entertainer once (forget his name) who had been married for something like 50 years. He was asked the secret to his success. He said:

"When a man gets married, he must realize there are things he will have to give up. And the first of those things is hope."
    Too funny.

I've seen so many different types of marriages. Some that really do fall in line with the stereotypical sitcom always at odds, "Man wanting to do his thing/wife complaining/man not being a good communicator" type of marriage.

I've also seen marriages where the couple seemed a bit more in sync.

Then again, there are so many different types of people who are so different that I imagine there are also so many different types of marriages. I think the greatest sadness is when people get married who never should have married. 

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited November 2019
    Wife needs a hobby. George Carlin (or was it Chris Rock) says the key to a good marriage is to “leave each other the fuck alone.”
    AlBQuirkyimmoralthang

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

My wife tells me/boys that her hobbies are "us" and "the house," so we do as little as possible to make her happy.

Sacrifices...amiright?!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• Pink_CandyPink_Candy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Good thing I don't have this problem. The people I pick to be in my life either play games or support my obsessions. 

To the rest, I bid farewell!
    I am not a "gamer girl". I am a gamer. I play video games.
    I don't take slutty pictures while holding a controller