Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking Down Dark Age of Camelot: Endless Conquest - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBreaking Down Dark Age of Camelot: Endless Conquest - MMORPG.com

Recently it was announced that Dark Age of Camelot was getting a free-to-play model. Join Aaron as he breaks down Dark Age of Camelot: Endless Conquest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• azuredinazuredin Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Sounds interesting, loved the game, have been gone for 17 years or so, but hey! I'm not playing any sword and board games at the moment.
    Is there a launch date?
    Azure
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

azuredin said:

Sounds interesting, loved the game, have been gone for 17 years or so, but hey! I'm not playing any sword and board games at the moment.

Is there a launch date?

Azure

Launched already, you can join the fun today.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

Nyctelios said:

Can't get pass the control scheme. Is archaic to oblivion

It's the same as any other tab target MMO out there.

If you're talking about macros and qbinds, then I could understand.. but it's not really rocket science, quite easy to use /qbind and /macro since it's explained right there in the client.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446

Kyleran said:

azuredin said:

Is there a launch date?

Azure

Is it though?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    "Midgard best Realm ever" that's fighting talk, I think you are going to have to step outside with your Runemaster. I will get my Albion...hang on he is not on the class list, I am done for. :)
    KyleranTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    edited November 2019

Geeky said:

Kyleran said:

azuredin said:

Is there a launch date?

Azure

Is it though?

Yes I signed up today and shows my access as endless conquest.. An aside note, as the OP indicated the graphics are dated but can be spruced up, sharpened, brightened quite a bit with Reshade.. I'd post a screenshot but apparently I'm not smart enough to do that on these forums.
    Post edited by Emeraq on
  • losthewarlosthewar Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited January 2022
    Games garbo compared to EQ All Hail Brad! May he sleep well with Tunare!
    Post edited by losthewar on
    Viper482
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Xoph said:

Nyctelios said:

It's the same as any other tab target MMO out there.

If you're talking about macros and qbinds, then I could understand.. but it's not really rocket science, quite easy to use /qbind and /macro since it's explained right there in the client.

I have to agre that the the controls for movement, turning, zooming in/out etc are old and nasty compared to modern MMOS.
    elocke
  • savedrsavedr Member UncommonPosts: 14
    One of the first moments I had in a game I had in DAoC. I was walking around Albion and walked up on am arching stone bridge and it started to rain. The draw distance gradually reduced as the rain fogged the land up, and I just watched the rain for a few minutes until the shower stopped. It was gorgeous.

I've held this game in the back of my mind ever since, I can't wait to try it again. :)
    ultimateduck
  • 6CrazySmiths6CrazySmiths Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Midgard best realm....bah. Albion/Hibernia tie for first. Midgard is the black sheep of the family and not allowed on the list;).

I miss my animist and heretic :)
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    When I saw that you couldn't have a minstrel, I sort of lost interest in even trying it.
    I did have some great fun on relic raids in the old days.
    RvR was sort on broke on my old server as the two other realms would join forces against us and they still lost.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Co-op PvE is what I like best, but this sounds interesting enough to give it a try for free. Might be surprised. Never did mind much about graphics (don't like games stuck in ortho view though, or super-blocky like Minecraft), and control "problems" are usually for people with fast reflexes and special equipment. I do look for elements that help with immersion and broaden the experience, getting away from the feeling I'm stuck in a series of events that everybody else goes through with little variation.
  • Theo454Theo454 Member CommonPosts: 1

Co-op PvE is what I like best, but this sounds interesting enough to give it a try for free. Might be surprised. Never did mind much about graphics (don't like games stuck in ortho view though, or super-blocky like Minecraft), and control "problems" are usually for people with fast reflexes and special equipment. I do look for elements that help with immersion and broaden the experience, getting away from the feeling I'm stuck in a series of events that everybody else goes through with little variation.

If you like co-op PVE, play on the Gaheris server. It's what I did.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    i can only get a free trial right now. not free to play.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    A few class restrictions? They cut out 70% of the classes. Being that restricted in a 20 year old game does them no favors. if you want people to subscribe, dont restrict their ability to play the game. Restrict their access to non fundamental (but useful and very helpful) game items/luxuries such as owning a house, cosmetics, boosts and (slower) RP gain. Its a big nope from me. I have zero interest in playing any of the classes listed. This FtP version is going to be one big bust.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Everyone is complaining that they can't play all of their old characters. I don't think this free to play model is set up just to entice old players. I think it's set up to entice old players to sub while having their friends, who have never tried DAoC, try the game for free. Maybe even have old players log in for free and decide they want to sub.

This would be great for me and my daughter. She remembers playing when she was 8 (Shes 26 now). It holds a place in her heart, but it is old and she doesn't know how much she will like it 18 years later. Now we can find out.

DAoC doesn't have cash shops and they aren't selling the game. Old or not, a sub is the only way they make money.

Class and Race

What classes are available in each realm?

Returning Endless Conquest accounts can access all classes on characters that meet or exceed the following restrictions:

• The character is an EC-enabled race and class combination (of any level or play time)
    OR

• The characer is not an EC-enabled race and class combination
    • The character is level 15 or above
    • The character has 1-day of in-game play time or more
    • The character was created on or before the launch of Endless Conquest

Otherwise, all Endless Conquest accounts can only create *new* characters of the following classes in each realm:

• Albion:
      • Cleric
      • Friar
      • Paladin
      • Sorcerer
      • Mercenary
    • Midgard:
      • Shaman
      • Healer
      • Valkyrie
      • Runemaster
      • Berserker
    • Hibernia:
      • Druid
      • Warden
      • Bard
      • Mentalist
      • Blademaster
    It seems if you have existing characters, they are playable. This coincides with me being able to log in to every character I've tried so far (I have a lvl 50 of every class in the game).

I'm not sure why some people are quitting because they can't play their characters.

On a side note, all buffing classes are free so everyone should have a free buffbot.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Rhoklaw said:
    I just reinstalled the game to check which of my characters were showing the subscribe button instead of the play button and noticed there was a patch since yesterday. Didn't read the patch notes, but I did notice all but one of my characters are now playable.
    I still get "subscribe" with my only character.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I just reinstalled the game to check which of my characters were showing the subscribe button instead of the play button and noticed there was a patch since yesterday. Didn't read the patch notes, but I did notice all but one of my characters are now playable.
    It is possible that the character you have is not part of the classes in the F2P portion of the game. 
    Sovrath

I have a level 50 of every class. The only characters I couldn't play for free were my non-level 50 battleground characters. Those required a subscription. Every other character was playable
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    kitarad said:
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    It is possible that the character you have is not part of the classes in the F2P portion of the game. 
    Just looked at the list as it was a good point. Character was a blademaster so I don't think that's it. It was lvl 16 so maybe that was it.
    ultimateduck
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Ppiper said:
    Nyctelios said:
    It is absolutely atrocius. I, for one, deleted the game after 15 minutes. How I played it for a few years is beyond me.
    I'm always confused by this. With the exception of /qbinds and /macros, the UI is pretty standard for a MMO and it's completely modable.

Movement keys are movement keys. Attack/skill keys are attack/skill keys.  What is different about the DAoC UI that makes it unplayable?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited November 2019
    Ppiper said:
    Nyctelios said:
    It is absolutely atrocius. I, for one, deleted the game after 15 minutes. How I played it for a few years is beyond me.
    I'm always confused by this. With the exception of /qbinds and /macros, the UI is pretty standard for a MMO and it's completely modable.

Movement keys are movement keys. Attack/skill keys are attack/skill keys.  What is different about the DAoC UI that makes it unplayable?

I too cannot understand this criticism. It is just a question of getting used to it. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I can understand that people have an aversion to an older UI but persevere a bit no, why give up so fast. It takes a little time, surely you can spare that for an old gem.
    ultimateduckKyleran

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I DID try it -- not bad for a F2P sample. Sure, I'd much rather be able to play certain other races and classes, but hey, IT'S FREE! Control system? Eh, takes a bit of learning and practice but at least as good as most others I've played. Rather like having attacks that require previous attacks or actions. 

Haven't played enough to decide if it's special enough to make a habit of it, and maybe subscribe. Don't mind the older graphics/animations. So far, though, it seems like just another (if one of the first) cookie from the cutter that's made all the other MMORPGs. Go see contact. Go kill things. Go back to contact. Repeat. I guess the PvP is the special thing, and I've never been a big fan of that, sooo.... 

Still, I think they have a good idea here and it might well lead to more subscriptions. 
    ultimateduck