Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I consider him the founder...

Even if I wasn't around for EQ1, I consider Brad to be the founder of mmoprg's.
I understand the true beginning was a complicated equation of the time of who made what and other basic foundations that proceeded it, but it doesn't matter in my eyes.  MY VIEW however arguable, Everquest 1 was "the largest" inspiration for second generation mmoprgs like Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. 

The #1 true genius, I believe no one could tell him different in anything when he gets a VISION. 
His stubborn nature got him in both trouble and praised but he continued on with his ideas.  Infact to this day his games can be studied at a collage level for both Everquest 1 and Vanguard. 

Pantheon would be another game that would feel almost human is an alternate universe.  It's almost psychology impossible to understand how he can do what he does.  He can breed life into his characters he creates..... yet he was about to do it all over again no matter how long it would have taken. 

Frustration was getting the better of me and I'm sure many others too....But deep inside I knew a deep rich game was being developed by the number one genius...... only problem being it would be a lifetime venture to spill out the coding of his VISIONS.  I for one was expecting only part of it, hoping it was enough for a playable game.

I agree with @DMKano the future is not set,
It's impossible at this stage to know what would happen.  Given some time will get an announcement.  Lets hope his legacy  continues....... I believe it will..... RIP Brad <3    
Gdemami

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I think this is a little too soon and tasteless of you to post this. Don't use this to pad your thread count.

You quit Everquest on P99 at level 6 you have no idea what Brad contributed to this genre and I think you should delete this thread. 

delete5230BeansnBreadRexKushman[Deleted User]cheeba[Deleted User]elockecheyane

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    kitarad said:
    I think this is a little too soon and tasteless of you to post this. Don't use this to pad your thread count.

You quit Everquest on P99 at level 6 you have no idea what Brad contributed to this genre and I think you should delete this thread. 

This is a bunch of shit.
    I was emotionally attached with ups and downs, like being mad at times to a persons parents.... The hell with you I'm very saddened ! 
    RexKushmanKyleran
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Arterius said:
    I understand the true beginning was a complicated equation of the time of who made what and other basic foundations that proceeded it, but it doesn't matter in my eyes.  MY VIEW however arguable, Everquest 1 was "the largest" inspiration for second generation mmoprgs like Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. 

The #1 true genius, I believe no one could tell him different in anything when he gets a VISION. 
    His stubborn nature got him in both trouble and praised but he continued on with his ideas.  Infact to this day his games can be studied at a collage level for both Everquest 1 and Vanguard. 

Pantheon would be another game that would feel almost human is an alternate universe.  It's almost psychology impossible to understand how he can do what he does.  He can breed life into his characters he creates..... yet he was about to do it all over again no matter how long it would have taken. 

Frustration was getting the better of me and I'm sure many others too....But deep inside I knew a deep rich game was being developed by the number one genius...... only problem being it would be a lifetime venture to spill out the coding of his VISIONS.  I for one was expecting only part of it, hoping it was enough for a playable game.

It's impossible at this stage to know what would happen.  Given some time will get an announcement.  Lets hope his legacy  continues....... I believe it will..... RIP Brad <3    
    I know most would disagree with me I am sure and I may seem like a bad guy for saying this but after giving it some thought I don't know if I want development of Pantheon to continue. This comes from someone who has 1k riding on the game as well. The reason is simple. Pantheon was years out. I would guess 2023. Maybe 2022. If not further. The game is still in PA and from what we have seen from various newsletters and streams we know the game was very much a work in progress.

No doubt the team had a shared vision. I also understand Brad wasn't only making this game with his input in mind but I have to believe that Brad was a huge driving force. With him gone will the game and transform into something we don't want. I am not saying that they are going to do a complete 180 and make it like a BDO or anything but it could change in a way that backers and fans are not 100% happy with.

I myself would not be disappointed if VR said they were not continuing with Pantheon but instead were hoping to make another game in his honor or just gave up the ghost altogether. I don't even think backers could really get that upset. Its not like the game was cancelled because they ran out of money or some other crazy reason. Brad has sadly passed away.

Don't get me wrong I won't be sad if they continue work on Pantheon and I will keep an eye on it closely because of the money I have put into it. I just worry that a void is now gone that can't be filled. I also hope that the team is ready for some big shoes to fill if they continue to work on the game as well because now more then ever they will be counting someones legacy and with that comes some big shoes.

I mean can you imagine if this game in a year does not look like what backers or fans expected. Even if that something was what Brad pushed for it won't matter. People will look at it as tarnishing his memory and the last game Brad worked on. I don't not envy the team at VR in the slightest. I would both be extremely sad for losing and friend and scared of what comes next.
    Meh, he may have been more of a nerf than a buff for the program. The actual results of his efforts to promote for a great MMORPG were not that successful. He brought name recognition. He brought experience. He also brought a bunch of bullshit. Think about what types of mistakes he made that we all agree on. There was a selfishness about those mistakes that is difficult to accept for me.

But what you are suggesting is disturbing in a way. That backers would blame everyone that isn't Brad for the foibles of this project would truly be obnoxious. This project has been improperly handled from the beginning.
    Mendelcheeba
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

I know most would disagree with me I am sure and I may seem like a bad guy for saying this but after giving it some thought I don't know if I want development of Pantheon to continue. This comes from someone who has 1k riding on the game as well. The reason is simple. Pantheon was years out. I would guess 2023. Maybe 2022. If not further. The game is still in PA and from what we have seen from various newsletters and streams we know the game was very much a work in progress.

No doubt the team had a shared vision. I also understand Brad wasn't only making this game with his input in mind but I have to believe that Brad was a huge driving force. With him gone will the game and transform into something we don't want. I am not saying that they are going to do a complete 180 and make it like a BDO or anything but it could change in a way that backers and fans are not 100% happy with.

I myself would not be disappointed if VR said they were not continuing with Pantheon but instead were hoping to make another game in his honor or just gave up the ghost altogether. I don't even think backers could really get that upset. Its not like the game was cancelled because they ran out of money or some other crazy reason. Brad has sadly passed away.

Don't get me wrong I won't be sad if they continue work on Pantheon and I will keep an eye on it closely because of the money I have put into it. I just worry that a void is now gone that can't be filled. I also hope that the team is ready for some big shoes to fill if they continue to work on the game as well because now more then ever they will be counting someones legacy and with that comes some big shoes.

I mean can you imagine if this game in a year does not look like what backers or fans expected. Even if that something was what Brad pushed for it won't matter. People will look at it as tarnishing his memory and the last game Brad worked on. I don't not envy the team at VR in the slightest. I would both be extremely sad for losing and friend and scared of what comes next.
    Meh, he may have been more of a nerf than a buff for the program. The actual results of his efforts to promote for a great MMORPG were not that successful. He brought name recognition. He brought experience. He also brought a bunch of bullshit. Think about what types of mistakes he made that we all agree on. There was a selfishness about those mistakes that is difficult to accept for me.

But what you are suggesting is disturbing in a way. That backers would blame everyone that isn't Brad for the foibles of this project would truly be obnoxious. This project has been improperly handled from the beginning.
    I agree that it is disturbing but that is the world we live in. I mean we live in a world where actors get death threats for just working in Hollywood for playing a character that fans hate. All they are doing is living out there dreams of being an actor, getting paid for doing there jobs, and they may even enjoy the movie they are in and just happy to be a part of it and people will tell them to die or threaten there lives. Its madness. 

So no, I really don't have any faith that whatever stumbles the project hit now people would say that it wouldn't happen if Brad was still around. Not saying its going to happen in the next three months but maybe in the next 12 if the project continues. 
    Yeah, I'm not saying you will end up being incorrect. I don't know how to predict that. But it will bother me if it happens in the way you describe. And I won't be surprised.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I was just thinking same thing not even WoW wouldnt have been what it was in 2004, putting MMOs on the map, if it wasnt for Everquest.
    elocke
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    If nothing else, an entire industry he helped create are now considering their own mortality. None of us are getting younger. Many of us want a return too what captivated us so long ago. Or at least a shot at it. Or just to see if get a fair shot for a new generation to judge and decide if they can enjoy it too.

Now is the time for a project like Pantheon to amplify Brad's Vision for a game deeper and more engaging than the anime WoW clone Asia crap we've been force fed for so many years. Brad made professional mistakes, sure, but I think he saw a cultural shift toward more meaningful gaming with him trying to launch Pantheon. Maybe it was too early, and he stumbled out of the blocks, but if not now, then when?
    elocke
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Lots of people contributed to the start of MMORPGs. I know we're supposed to be nice right now but he didn't make Everquest by himself.
    Mendel
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    edited November 2019
    Utinni said:

Lots of people contributed to the start of MMORPGs. I know we're supposed to be nice right now but he didn't make Everquest by himself.
    Of course not! He had help from God and Jesus Christ.

Well, it's either deify him or admit that EverQuest would have been made without Brad and that the MMORPG genre might have been a little less popular in the West but his absence from EQ would have had no affect on Eastern MMOs.

But, people are still in mourning (of a programmer for a video game they haven't played in over a decade) so for now - Praise be to the Lord, the Son and the Brad McQuaid.
    Combspe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Utinni said:

Of course not, Smedley helped him. In fact one really can't give Brad accolades without acknowledging Smedley's role in his success. 

Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xTetsuxxTetsux Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited November 2019
    Well, it's either deify him or admit that EverQuest would have been made without Brad and that the MMORPG genre might have been a little less popular in the West but his absence from EQ would have had no affect on Eastern MMOs.
  • xTetsuxxTetsux Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited November 2019

Final Fantasy XI was heavily influenced by EverQuest. In fact, the development team was mandated to play EverQuest when working on Final Fantasy 11 to draw from it on how an MMORPG should be. In my opinion, admittely beingthey took the EQ formula, improved it, and put a Final Fantasy twist on it.