Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad McQuaid, EverQuest and Pantheon Developer, Has Passed Away - MMORPG.com

Comments

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    May you be at peace and rest from whatever it was that ailed you.
    Phaserlightwingood
  • RennisaRennisa Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Thank you for giving me my first and best MMORPG experience. Started EverQuest back in June, 2000. I spent years trying to find a new game that could recapture the magic of that time. Eventually I had to find magic in the newer conventions of modern MMO games, but it will never be the same.

I had hope for Pantheon, not expecting much more beyond a new world and visual update to what I knew and loved from EQ's golden days. I know even that is a long shot being such a niche market, but it feels like that goal has moved even father away upon hearing this news.

I don't care who you are, 51 is too young of an age to leave this world.
    Phaserlight
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Sad news indeed :(

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Damn, my condolences.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    edited November 2019
    Very sad. Huge fan of EQ and Vanguard. I am still hopeful his vision will live on in Pantheon. 
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    RIP. Thanks for decades of memories.

Will be missed indeed
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I wonder if stress aided in this departure.Too bad,he deserved to have better ending.
    SovrathSlapshot1188

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Crazy shit

Always tell the people you care about you love them. Live everyday to the fullest.

Life is so short.

RIP Brad

This is a sad day.
    wingood

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Syphin_B said:

For some reason when they asked for privacy, i have a feeling Brad may have fallen back into some of his old stuff.

Hope not though

It’s literally just a default statement people make when someone dies... don’t read so much into it.

Generally because when people of any celebrity die people feel entitled to message their relatives or do other crazy things....

It’s literally a blanket statement saying don’t bother the family unless you are also a close friend or family member.

The guy has been dead 5 minutes maybe don’t speculate on something that could be completely unrelated.
    millux
  • RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Arterius said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    If cocaine was listed on the stock exchange, stocks would have plummeted with this news.
    Jesus. WTF?
    Hey, not my fault McQuaid and coke went together like peanut butter and jelly.
    It is your fault you dont know when to keep your trap closed.
    dhtx74[Deleted User]wingoodKyleranmaskedweaselcheebaPhaserlightmilluxdragonlee66Yukmarcand 6 others.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Arterius said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    If cocaine was listed on the stock exchange, stocks would have plummeted with this news.
    Jesus. WTF?
    Hey, not my fault McQuaid and coke went together like peanut butter and jelly.
    This really isn't the time to post bullshit like this. Go fuck yourself you piece of shit.
    [Deleted User]newbismxEronakiswingoodmaskedweaselForgrimmcheebamilluxdragonlee66Yukmarcand 4 others.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited November 2019
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Don't be a dick. Like or hate him, he had a family and friends. I wouldn't have had the great time I enjoyed in game dev without him. Put aside the snark and jokes for a bit.
    [Deleted User]wingoodForgrimmcheebamilluxdragonlee66YukmarcTacticalZombeh
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Brad was only 51 years old...Way too young....I hope it isn't drug related.
  • bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Sad day.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Brad was only 51 years old...Way too young....I hope it isn't drug related.
    Knowing what we know about him we're probably all having thoughts along the same lines. Not the right time to talk about that shit though.

RIP Brad.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Chasing the dragon

Brad was following his dreams.

We've all made mistakes along the way.
    newbismxwingoodPanzerbeorne39

Most of the nerds here have probably never seen cocaine IRL, let alone tried it. Let this be a warning to you nerds who want to party, that shit will kill you. Regular use is really bad for your heart. McQuaid probably had a sudden heart attack and died quickly from too many ceezy bumps over the years. Makes total sense now. 
    I'd imagine that keeping an MMORPG in development on donations is just as hard on the old ticker.

Pretty fucking stressful I'd say. 
    TillerPanzerbeorne39

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    edited November 2019
    Here's my story.

Brad was a visionary and gave birth to the genre we all love. I was 16 at the time when I started to play Everquest. During those times, I never cared for medieval fantasy let alone any fantasy. Really enjoyed the modern warefare scene and some scif-fi. It wasn't until my best friend Jason who introduced me to Everquest. He was immersed into that fantasy and genre.

My fondest memory was at level 8 in the Wastern Commonlands. I made a half elf Paladin, and so did he. I made because he made one. We met a high elf cleric, a high elf enchanter, and a human mage. We all never been to Rivervale. The Cleric at the time had and was on an alt. We were all new to the game. I remember making the trek through Western Commonlands > Eastern Commonlands to Kithacor at night, hugging the wall, and finally making it to Rivervale.

Shortly after that, Jason had passed away. My hardest loss. After that, I submerged myself into Everquest and never looked back. I became to love mmorpgs because of Jason. But it was also Brad's luminary vision to bring this game to life.

Thank you Brad McQuiad. You will be missed.

In honor of you, I'll listen to these wonderful bard tunes and reminisce.

SovrathmaskedweaselGilcroixkitaradperrin82
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Incredibly sad news. Just wanted to add my voice to the condolences.
    maskedweasel

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    I had the opportunity to interview Brad several times. The last time Brad and I spoke was August of last year on an episode of GS2. I can't speak much about his personal life, and I prefer not to guess or pry. What I can say from my first hand experience with him, is that he was passionate about the worlds he has created and planned to create, and was really excited about all of the ideas he had for Pantheon. I also felt that he was very happy when he was engaging with people who were excited about his work as he was.

He will be missed. 
    [Deleted User]
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Brad McQuaid was MMORPG's GOAT.
    mcd6993Eronakis
    Isaiah 41:10
  • AbhorerAbhorer Member UncommonPosts: 34
    RIP, Brad McQuaid. You will be missed. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Condolences to his Family and friends.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    A sad day for the MMO genre and gaming in general.  Brad was the Beethoven of MMOs.  His creations have melded with my life since I was a teenager, and I have created a lot of memories within them.  Not to speculate too much, but the best and brightest among us always seem to be the most tormented; unfortunate bedfellows.  I can only hope Pantheon will carry on and become his magnum opus.  Condolences to his family and friends.