Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3D games

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Someone mentioned backward priorities.  I say double that x2,
1  to much time money and effort building a web site 
2  EXPERIMENTING ON GAME ENGINES   

It's like day one for building a 3D game for these guys, like no one has ever done it before.  It's done, perfected, maxed out and with very little wiggle room for advancement. 

Crowdfunders are footing the bill. 
I'll bet no one originally expected that when they decided to back the game.

I often say let them work..... I'm kind of thinking, on what ?

I have my own ideas,
I'm thinking of inventing a snow blower that powers itself where the user can walk behind it as it throws snow, it will have a hand crank that will allow snow to blow left or right.  I'll paint them blue and sell them on the market, that way people can put away their shovels and clean their driveways.

Post edited by delete5230 on
XarkoGdemamibng28

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Yes I agree. You are in a bubble. 
    delete5230Xarko
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Yes I agree. You are in a bubble. 
    Can I ask are you funding an Everquest 1 volume 2, or are you helping reinvent 3D ?

Did you know your money will be funding this ?
    Gdemami
  • goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    The original kickstarter failed on Feb 22, 2014.  Today, we're at Nov 19, 2019.  Over 5.5 years.
    The choice to use Unity was so that they could take advantage of everything already being pre-made, that is, animations, models, world assets, weapons, armor, and so on.  No need to re-do everything or start from scratch.
    Unfortunately, as has been made clear by Project Faerthale, which started in June 2018, and had additional staff placed on it in January 2019, everything was not pre-made.  The stated purpose of creating a reference zone was: (in June 2018)

" What many of you will be interested to know is that we have decided to make Faerthale our Reference Zone. Technically, that means a lot of things. But to put it simply, it means Faerthale will be the first zone to have all of our gameplay systems completely integrated. Or you could say, the first zone where the “Pantheon experience” will be able to be fully experienced.

This includes the foundational gameplay systems you are used to seeing in streams, but everything else as well: dynamic day and night cycles, time of day governing events and spawn cycles, Atmospheres that will require artifacts to overcome, Extreme Climates that will require players to Acclimate themselves, the Perception system woven throughout and the ability to become a Keeper, NPC Dispositions widely applied and appropriately unpredictable, Crafting and Harvesting elements, climbable surfaces, interactable objects in the environment - I think you get the picture!

As our Reference Zone, Faerthale needs to have all of the gameplay systems intact and functioning properly, with all of their various parts, so that we have an accurate picture to reference when we begin implementing all of these systems into the rest of our zones"

Since 2014, they have added some custom graphics, shaders, models, weapons, and so on.  So, they clearly did not stick with using ONLY assets from the Unity Store.  If they had, they wouldn't have been spending artist, designer, or developer time on making custom assets.

If the whole point of using Unity and the Unity Store was to get a product to launch as quickly as possible, there would be no need for any custom assets.  Clearly, that's not realistic.  Custom assets are required.  They have had to make custom assets.   It seems like each race is a custom model, and they're even creating all new custom buildings, weapons, armor and more.  Evidently, using entirely pre-made assets to get something to launch as quickly as possible was NEVER a public design goal.  They could have done that, they chose not to.

Similarly, they have mentioned repeatedly that they can't use ONLY the built-in Unity networking code, and are likely going to write their own.  So, again, where is the value in using Unity, if you're not going to use the built-in pre-made functionality to get to launch as quickly as possible?  They could have, they chose not to.

Ultimately, if graphics aren't the primary focus, they could have done things much faster by using entirely Unity Store pre-made assets for everything.  They had a playable game in 2016.  So fast forward 3+ years, and where are we?  There hasn't been a pre-alpha testing phase in over a year.  There's been no in-game footage of the benefits of Project Faerthale in over 1.5 years.

They have, in the past, showed videos of cities entirely grey-boxed.  So, they could have done that to get to launch as quickly as possible.  But they chose not to.  Publicly, when Brad was developing Vanguard, there was too much emphasis on graphics, and not enough on optimization and/or gameplay.  Yet, the past 5.5 years have demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that graphics are driving the bus, again, with Pantheon.

They could have produced greybox content, used pre-made assets, even used primitives for models, and customized ONLY the gameplay to get to launch (or even beta!) as quickly as possible.  Is gameplay driving the bus at Visionary Realms, or graphics?  History says graphics.
    Yet, here we are, 5.5 years later, and likely 3+ years to go, and STILL in pre-alpha.  This level of fiscal irresponsibility should be criminal.  It's truly unfortunate that crowdfunding permits developers to spend money indefinitely with absolutely no accountability.
    AmatheGdemamiKumapon
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Can I locate my snowblower using the perception system?
    Sovrathdelete5230

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    goldwheat said:
    The original kickstarter failed on Feb 22, 2014.  Today, we're at Nov 19, 2019.  Over 5.5 years.
    The choice to use Unity was so that they could take advantage of everything already being pre-made, that is, animations, models, world assets, weapons, armor, and so on.  No need to re-do everything or start from scratch.
    Unfortunately, as has been made clear by Project Faerthale, which started in June 2018, and had additional staff placed on it in January 2019, everything was not pre-made.  The stated purpose of creating a reference zone was: (in June 2018)

" What many of you will be interested to know is that we have decided to make Faerthale our Reference Zone. Technically, that means a lot of things. But to put it simply, it means Faerthale will be the first zone to have all of our gameplay systems completely integrated. Or you could say, the first zone where the “Pantheon experience” will be able to be fully experienced.

This includes the foundational gameplay systems you are used to seeing in streams, but everything else as well: dynamic day and night cycles, time of day governing events and spawn cycles, Atmospheres that will require artifacts to overcome, Extreme Climates that will require players to Acclimate themselves, the Perception system woven throughout and the ability to become a Keeper, NPC Dispositions widely applied and appropriately unpredictable, Crafting and Harvesting elements, climbable surfaces, interactable objects in the environment - I think you get the picture!

As our Reference Zone, Faerthale needs to have all of the gameplay systems intact and functioning properly, with all of their various parts, so that we have an accurate picture to reference when we begin implementing all of these systems into the rest of our zones"

Since 2014, they have added some custom graphics, shaders, models, weapons, and so on.  So, they clearly did not stick with using ONLY assets from the Unity Store.  If they had, they wouldn't have been spending artist, designer, or developer time on making custom assets.

If the whole point of using Unity and the Unity Store was to get a product to launch as quickly as possible, there would be no need for any custom assets.  Clearly, that's not realistic.  Custom assets are required.  They have had to make custom assets.   It seems like each race is a custom model, and they're even creating all new custom buildings, weapons, armor and more.  Evidently, using entirely pre-made assets to get something to launch as quickly as possible was NEVER a public design goal.  They could have done that, they chose not to.

Similarly, they have mentioned repeatedly that they can't use ONLY the built-in Unity networking code, and are likely going to write their own.  So, again, where is the value in using Unity, if you're not going to use the built-in pre-made functionality to get to launch as quickly as possible?  They could have, they chose not to.

Ultimately, if graphics aren't the primary focus, they could have done things much faster by using entirely Unity Store pre-made assets for everything.  They had a playable game in 2016.  So fast forward 3+ years, and where are we?  There hasn't been a pre-alpha testing phase in over a year.  There's been no in-game footage of the benefits of Project Faerthale in over 1.5 years.

They have, in the past, showed videos of cities entirely grey-boxed.  So, they could have done that to get to launch as quickly as possible.  But they chose not to.  Publicly, when Brad was developing Vanguard, there was too much emphasis on graphics, and not enough on optimization and/or gameplay.  Yet, the past 5.5 years have demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that graphics are driving the bus, again, with Pantheon.

They could have produced greybox content, used pre-made assets, even used primitives for models, and customized ONLY the gameplay to get to launch (or even beta!) as quickly as possible.  Is gameplay driving the bus at Visionary Realms, or graphics?  History says graphics.
    Yet, here we are, 5.5 years later, and likely 3+ years to go, and STILL in pre-alpha.  This level of fiscal irresponsibility should be criminal.  It's truly unfortunate that crowdfunding permits developers to spend money indefinitely with absolutely no accountability.
    You said it better than I.  
    I rest my case :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2019
    Naive people want to believe in miracles,some sit idly by waiting for something,anything,others are often skeptical and some just have no clue at all,they simply spend money because.

NOBODY can build a HQ game from a kickstarter,NOBODY.

Kickstarters are just a simple NO RISK option,if it fails,oh well,if it works,let's order caviar for breakfast.

If you have low expectations,you might be pleasantly surprised,if you have high expectations,you will be disappointed,that is how i see this.

As to the time taken,pffft 5.5 years is nothing,unless your just naive to the whole ordeal and be wasting money on ARPG's that take about 6 months to make.It took FFXI a full 5 years and that is with a full team of 100+ and a sort of game/template already made to create the game ideas from which was FF3/5.
    Sure this team might have the EQ games/template but imo that is  bad templates to follow,great back then but not now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

You said it better than I.  
    I rest my case :)

Said it better than delete5230

You earned this badge August 2007

16233 people have earned this badge
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited November 2019
    goldwheat said:

Allot of developers think Unity will be their shortcut to launch because they can start creating content right away, but it doesn't take long to realize if you want to do anything big and bold, you pretty much have to write everything from scratch anyways, I mean everything in Unity.  So at the end of the day as you pointed out, no time is saved, there are no shortcuts in developing an MMO.  In fact, there are no shortcuts in developing a quality game of any type.
    Gdemamidelete5230