Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So my wife says . . .

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Out of curiosity, how do you function in society?

Apparently, much better than you since I feel no urge to 'vent' on gaming forums...
    Cryomatrix
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The only place where you can get the most complete interactive experience (book narrative, movie cinematic, orchestral score, visual art is in a good video game. You can experience all those separately by reading a good book, watching a movie, painting or listening to music, but you can also get the all in one package in a good video game.

It bothers me when random people consider all those separately as normal things people do, but not the whole package. As soon as they hear video game they picture Mario or Pacman or Barbie Horse Adventures but never picture the games that masterfuly encompass all the things i mentioned above. I just don't argue with them.
    CryomatrixAlBQuirky

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
     You can experience all those separately by reading a good book, watching a movie, painting or listening to music, but you can also get the all in one package in a good video game.
    Don't forget magazines! And if OP keeps telling his wife how stupid her tv shows are, may I suggest Celibacy Monthly

:):wink:
    ScotrojoArcueidCryomatrixPhaserlightAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I like both, but TV is way more retarded.
    NorseGodCryomatrix
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Watching TV is like making a life-style choice, it comes with a cost.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
    You could always ask does she want you to move on to pursuits more for men of your age...like hard drinking, gambling, extreme sports; plenty more to head of that mid-life crisis, car or motorcycle racing are always a hit with wives. :)
    I have seen this a lot. Not just on here but on reddit and the like. It just doesn't fly. My dad plays video games. Always has. He straight up ignores my mom and the rest of us when he is playing. He will yell at my mom if she gets in the way of the TV or if she is talking to him and he dies. My mom is still with them because they are highschool sweathearts and she doesn't know anything else, her words not mine. To her I am sure she would take gambling or even extreme sports. I mean my parents are broke already. What money is he going to use to gamble?
    That's a shame, you do realise though I was not being serious? I can understand shutting himself of when he plays, its more how much you play, too much and family is getting effected.
    [Deleted User]
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Amathe said:

But bear in mind 

[Deleted User]PhaserlightAlBQuirkyCryomatrix
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Wife: Aren't you too old to play video games? (I'm 38)

Me: Aren't you too old for story time? Oh, wait, they call that watching TV. 

I'm so sick and tired of people thinking video gaming is more pathetic than TV. Literally, watching TV is akin to having someone tell you a story, it is just a visual story. 

As opposed to all the multitasking and intense focus and learning required to play a game like Starcraft 2 successfully. Hell, even playing a sports game I think is better than silly TV. 

Of course TV does teach you social skills to some degree that most people you interact with  will have, but otherwise, seriously, TV is more childish than video games. 

Cryomatrix
    p.s. I am probably super biased but you know. 
    The form of "too old" that is relevant to video games is repetitive strain injuries.  As you get older, you're not able to physically play games (or otherwise use a computer) for as long as you could when you were younger.  But even that isn't a "you can't play at all", but rather, "you can't play as much as you used to".  And possibly also, "you can't play some of the types of games that you used to".
    Is your wife 65?

Seriously, I haven't had cable tv since 2005. Furthermore, what's a movie theater?
    AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    NorseGod[Deleted User]Phaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Often times it's just the woman's way of saying "you aren't paying enough attention to me....Take her out to a nice night on the town (dinner, dancing, theatre, movie, whatever) and more often than not they will give you more freedom.
    edited November 2019
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
     my wife lets me 
    What? Bro...

Weird, your snipped comment shows up as Scot's.
    [Deleted User]
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited November 2019
    Often times it's just the woman's way of saying "you aren't paying enough attention to me....Take her out to a nice night on the town (dinner, dancing, theatre, movie, whatever) and more often than not they will give you more freedom.
    I always take my wife out for a nice night on the town, unfortunately she always comes back.

Seriously though, why do I have to join my wife watching Dancing with the Stars, The Voice, and all those other goofy TV "reality" shows, why can't she join me and play video games?

It's like the time she got mad at me for not taking her to a Michael Bolton concert. How many of you guys would want to sit thru 90 minutes of Michael Bolton? The CIA doesn't even stoop to torturing terrorists with that.

Men really are from Mars, women are from Uranus. 

There comes a time in a man's life when all he wants is peace and quite, an end to the constant nagging and honey do list, and just to be left alone. Why do you think wives outlive husbands?  

My advice to you young married guys...….Set the bar low, and consistently fail to achieve it. Then your wife will lower her expectations.

ultimateduckPhaserlightSovrath
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I always take my wife out for a nice night on the town, unfortunately she always comes back.

Seriously though, why do I have to join my wife watching Dancing with the Stars, The Voice, and all those other goofy TV "reality" shows, why can't she join me and play video games?

It's like the time she got mad at me for not taking her to a Michael Bolton concert. How many of you guys would want to sit thru 90 minutes of Michael Bolton? The CIA doesn't even stoop to torturing terrorists with that.

Men really are from Mars, women are from Uranus. 

There comes a time in a man's life when all he wants is peace and quite, an end to the constant nagging and honey do list, and just to be left alone. Why do you think wives outlive husbands?  

My advice to you young married guys...….Set the bar low, and consistently fail to achieve it. Then your wife will lower her expectations.

I took my wife to a michael bolton concert or she took me, either way i like michael bolton.

Also, we had just come from a night out on the town. Oh well.

Good answer Gdemami. Now if you weren't such a fecal cephalic maybe people would engage with you more.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    It probably helps if you like the person you married. Seems like people here are marrying the girl they like to have sex with and just deal the the marriage stuff as it comes up...lol
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    NorseGod said:
    Amathe said:

But bear in mind 

Flashbacks to my favorite book in grade school: The King Who Reigned by Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster).
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited November 2019
    Amathe said:
    Yea, "Bare in mind" is illegal in some states/countries :)
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I actually would. I don't like him but I think it's more about supporting them over "what I want to do." And my girlfriends have done the same. Of course, I do like "scary" movies and wouldn't pressure someone into seeing something they didn't want to.

but it then gets into a quid pro quo. I do something they want, support them in their interests and they can either do the same or allow me my "me" time so that I can work on my creative endeavours.

Or play video games. Has always worked out. I've been to Chocolate expos, an 8 hour watch shopping excursion where we didn't buy a watch, Circus Arts Shows, Swing Dances, and any number of things that wouldn't be my first choice.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Wife: Aren't you too old to play video games? (I'm 38)
    Clearly after this statement divorce would be completely justified ! ;-)
    Amaranthar
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I would divorce her and I am not joking.  You would be better off.
    Gdemami
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    But shes right, most gamers a beta cucks or beta orbits, or just cucks, its waste of time and prevents man from achieving his real goals in life, its escapism and a escape drug, its untangible gratification an illusionary reward in the dopamine center that doesnt benefit ur family but ur own little narcissist being "thinking ur the hero in the story. 

Shes right.
    BetaguyCryomatrix
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Average intelligence, young people opinions make me chuckle in disbelief. The fact of the matter is if you married someone who doesnt love you for you, you married the wrong person, stop placing lust before love, respect, and appreciation.
    BetaguyGdemamiPhaserlightAmaranthar

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    True !!!

A man must have a battle axe and go conquer the world.

Why play games if you can be serious.
    Amaranthar
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Riqqy82 said:
    Average intelligence, young people opinions make me chuckle in disbelief. The fact of the matter is if you married someone who doesnt love you for you, you married the wrong person, stop placing lust before love, respect, and appreciation.
    dont do that eh, its not your business to destroy whatever dude has goin on. Women are more easily influenced by friends and family than men. You really dont know where the disdain for your hobby is actually coming from.  

instead find out why she thinks your too old for your hobby. As i said before given the many many actually destructive hobbies you could have i think she has it pretty good.  

your home and your hobby is cheap. 
    Gdemamiultimateduck
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Wizbuiz said:
    But shes right, most gamers a beta cucks or beta orbits, or just cucks, its waste of time and prevents man from achieving his real goals in life, its escapism and a escape drug, its untangible gratification an illusionary reward in the dopamine center that doesnt benefit ur family but ur own little narcissist being "thinking ur the hero in the story. 

Shes right.
    To that point, even though my friends really don't give me a hard time about playing video games, they often say that if you weren't playing video games you could be doing "anything else."

I could be practicing more Classical guitar, working on my art, doing more writing, going to the gym more doing etc.

Of course that could be said about TV or other similar pastimes. I suppose listening to music could be there as well. 

Not sure most gamers are cucks but there is a reason I consider the word "gamer" a dirty word. I've met a lot of people who fit the "nerd in the basement who doesn't know how to act in public" stereotype.
    ultimateduck
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo