Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SpatialOS-based sandbox MMORPG 'Fractured' Receives Alpha November 20

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSpatialOS-based sandbox MMORPG 'Fractured' Receives Alpha November 20

SpatialOS-based sandbox MMORPG Fractured is set to receive their Alpha 2 on November 20.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Is this another full loot sandbox game?
  • Morfo2Morfo2 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Again? This company already opened an exact similar game on Steam 4 years ago and it's servers are currently with ZERO players. The mechanic sucks. No one likes this structure. Who the hell have even funded this? omfg...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,677
    Hmm, 8 full and 2 part time employees trying to deliver a MMORPG.

This can't end well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited November 2019
    Furry-ies start on a server with very little PvP (well beastmen).  (have very strong power boosts on their home server, can't go "evil" without forcing a race change)
    Humans get a mix. (can eventually duplicate other racial abilities if they want to using gear)
    Demons start on a server with full PvP.   (eventually gain access to the ability to get onto other worlds easier than other races, but get weaker the longer they're there)

With the ability to eventually travel between servers.   In reality in the games current state only humans have player sprites yet.   There hasn't been much "real" discussion for what resources are on which planets, and of the discussion there has been mostly players projecting "what they want". 

And yes full loot.

EDIT:

I wouldn't bother playing a spatialOS mmoRPG.    SpatialOS games won't get lifesupport, essentially you're required to use Improbable's cloud services.   While they scale down nicely for BR games and other games that are almost just players.   For MMORPGs when that community dies, the devs are forced to pay up for pretty expensive servers due to keeping NPCs/Guild halls/housing mechanics/whatever-persistence simulated 24/7, despite low player counts.

Lessons from Worlds Adrift.   While it had plenty of other issues, it's worth thinking about.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 817

Morfo2 said:

Again? This company already opened an exact similar game on Steam 4 years ago and it's servers are currently with ZERO players. The mechanic sucks. No one likes this structure. Who the hell have even funded this? omfg...

what game?
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    anemo said:
    Furry-ies start on a server with very little PvP (well beastmen).  (have very strong power boosts on their home server, can't go "evil" without forcing a race change)
    Humans get a mix. (can eventually duplicate other racial abilities if they want to using gear)
    Demons start on a server with full PvP.   (eventually gain access to the ability to get onto other worlds easier than other races, but get weaker the longer they're there)

With the ability to eventually travel between servers.   In reality in the games current state only humans have player sprites yet.   There hasn't been much "real" discussion for what resources are on which planets, and of the discussion there has been mostly players projecting "what they want". 

And yes full loot.

EDIT:

I wouldn't bother playing a spatialOS mmoRPG.    SpatialOS games won't get lifesupport, essentially you're required to use Improbable's cloud services.   While they scale down nicely for BR games and other games that are almost just players.   For MMORPGs when that community dies, the devs are forced to pay up for pretty expensive servers due to keeping NPCs/Guild halls/housing mechanics/whatever-persistence simulated 24/7, despite low player counts.

Lessons from Worlds Adrift.   While it had plenty of other issues, it's worth thinking about.
    I don’t disagree but think a little forward thinking would help using a similar server design as arenas you could run more than one area with a single server if the population was low enough. 
  • MorbeousMorbeous Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I wonder how long this game will last. They abandoned Link Realms
  • MorbeousMorbeous Member UncommonPosts: 86

Morfo2 said:

What game was that? Link realms by any chance?
  • Kuroi_TaigaKuroi_Taiga Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited November 2019
    i don't know why you guys are mentioning linkrealms, dynamight studios is an italian group, linkrealms was made by american people, mythyn interactive
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,371
    Kyleran said:

This can't end well.

A Tale in the Desert topped out at 4 paid employees, and it was still pretty good.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Project Gorgon has 2. There are other MMOs that have 2 or so devs.

Rise of Agon, while not developed from scratch by the current team, has 2 or 3 active developers on it and it still  pushes updates.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,677
    edited November 2019
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

This can't end well.

A Tale in the Desert topped out at 4 paid employees, and it was still pretty good.
    It scored 60 by Computer Gaming World (a mag whose reviews I generally respected). 

Of course they also awarded UO and SWG their coveted "Coaster of the Year" award. (As in the disk was best used as a drink coaster) They sort of hated on all online games until COH released.

;)

"While I found the game a refreshing diversion from the usual slash-and-loot online fare I've become a little worn out on after years of play, I did find the heavy focus on interaction with other players to be too much of a good thing. [July 2003, p.82]"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,371
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

This can't end well.

It scored 60 by Computer Gaming World (a mag whose reviews I generally respected). 

Of course they also awarded UO and SWG their coveted "Coaster of the Year" award. (As in the disk was best used as a drink coaster) They sort of hated on all online games until COH released.

;)

"While I found the game a refreshing diversion from the usual slash-and-loot online fare I've become a little worn out on after years of play, I did find the heavy focus on interaction with other players to be too much of a good thing. [July 2003, p.82]"
    I base my opinion of whether a game is good or not on what I think of it when I actually play it.  How about you?
    Gdemami