Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Reveals Stadia Launch Line Up and 2019 Games - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Plus, if someone told you ten years ago, lets make a platform so people can watch other people play video games, what wou guys have said?
    Try 20 years ago. 10 years ago I already knew that Koreans were watching Starcraft tournaments on prime time network TV. I knew it was just a matter of time before we did it too.

What I didn't guess is that we'd be doing on a streaming service instead of cable TV.
    IceAge
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited November 2019
    They are just starting out, it is a pilot program launch to test the waters, why have a millions games and you are not sure people will play it.

Also, perhaps, in the future a person would not want any extra hardware, just one big tv that can do it all.

Plus, if someone told you ten years ago, lets make a platform so people can watch other people play video games, what wou guys have said?
    There is a big difference between 'watching' a stream and 'playing' a stream...

Watching:
    - Doesn't need to be reliable (dropping / stuttering is annoying, but not detrimental).
    - Doesn't need to be 'real-time' (even a 1 second delay isn't too noticeable).
    - Doesn't need to be high quality (loss of quality just looks bad, but still watchable).
    - Takes relatively little extra processing power, and scales incredibly well per user.

Playing:
    - Does need to be reliable (dropping / stuttering will likely ruin the experience).
    - Does need to be 'real-time' (or very close to, as input lag will ruin the experience).
    - Does need to be reasonable high quality (loss of quality is immersion breaking and could ruin the experience).
    - Takes 100% of the processing power, and does not scale per user.

There may be some market for game streaming, but that last point is why game streaming will never be 'Netflix'... the requirements are simply much higher and there are nowhere near the same economies of scale. Oh, and if you are counting on hardware advances to make it 'cheap', don't forget that those same advances apply to local hardware (i.e. that big TV of 10 years from now could very well contain a processor powerful enough to run most of today's games*).

* As for tomorrows games, just look at the most popular (at least in terms of $$) gaming segments right now... i.e. cheap, low graphics, mobile games; sports games; and fortnite. Hardly anything you need a high-end PC to run.

(Of course, I'm probably completely wrong and 10-20 years from now streaming will be the main way to play games and we'll all be here complaining about the 'good old days' when you could just run a game locally ...)
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    You can play games with your chromebook at college campus, thats their main market. Also people with sucky computers who want to play games with all graphics maxed out. Look at the comp requirements for cyberpunk and you can see the appeal.

Also, stadia is the only ”console” that you can play games with at 4k and 60fps before ps5 comes out. (Xbox x and ps4 pro are capped at 30fps)
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:
    Tiller said:
    The only folks I would see using this are people with really old laptops and no console.
    I have a PS4 , Xbox one X and a gaming PC. I pre-ordered Stadia and am looking forward to it.

It is more than just another way to play games. Do a little research.

Not only that.. no more hardware costs.. Ever.
    Until you decide that you'd like to play a game that isn't on their short list.  Or realize that thin clients don't actually work very well.  Or that your Internet access is a form of hardware costs.
    Gaming is not my main use of the internet. So no. No it isn't.

Stadia isn't just a PC on the backend. It is completely new architecture. That is why the launch list is short ( consoles launches have about the same amount ) as games need to be brought over. More games will come.

XCloud works pretty darn well so I have high hopes for both services.
    IceAge
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited November 2019
    cmacq said:
    Sovrath said:
    Fun! Not only you pay full price for the games, but you are actually only renting them!

Gamers are so gullible.
    According to them you don' pay full price for the games. You pay 9.99 per month. For some reason there is also a $69 controller. Does one "need" that controller to play these games?

There seems to be a "Stadia Pro" service but the article I read said that if people didn't want that they could wait fo the service to "roll around" on tables/pc's later in 2020.

So, where are you getting that?
    Check out their actual service. You get 1 game (D2) you can play when it launches for $9.95 a month. You have to buy the other titles they are offering @ full price. How is that a deal?
    I've tried but it seems "intentionally vague." I did find a chart that said "buy other games? - Yes" so clearly there is some buying of other games. 

But I don't see a breakdown of exactly what you get and what you "could" get. I almost wonder if their list is short because those are the games you rent and if you then want to add games you can pay an extra price. But what is that price?

If you have a link that clearly lists everything please post it as I can't seem to find anything substantial.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Luther512Luther512 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    If the price of good hardware/bandwidth is low enough that google can buy PS4/XBOX/PC and sell or rent just the games and stream them, then shouldn't there be a drop in console prices etc for the consumer? 

You can get a switch Lite for $199 and keep all the games you buy for it. Of course its not a pc or xbox or ps4 so there's exclusive games you can't get but that's what friends are for. Use what you got and when you can go play theirs. No way I would pay $129 for stadia, I wouldn't pay $10 a month even if the games were free. So I can what? Play them on a lousy laptop or my phone?

I still only see a niche market for this. which may be why the games list is smallish at this point.
  • MeryylMeryyl Member CommonPosts: 3
    I’m a “hardcore gamer” (I think 3 years of endgame raiding on FFXIV qualifies). I have a console and a pc. I will probably give this a test drive. Why? I travel and the idea of playing AAA titles on a tablet sounds great. It’s absolutely worth a try.
    IceAge
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    I like the idea but I don't want to have to buy my library again. If Valve ever launches a streaming service that lets you keep your Steam library, I'm sold.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not many people have the bandwidth needed to screen games all the time.  Google may need to work with ISPs to be successful or this will end up like their fiber option cable venture, put down by the ISPs and throttled into oblivion.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    F2Plague said:
    Stadia Advertisement:
    PLAY ANY GAME YOU WANT ANY TIME WITH NO DOWNLOADS!

Reality:
    Pick from this mediocre list.
    "Any game you want". Link to that advertisement ? 

Anyway, tell me how many games a console has when it launches? 

All i read about Stadia are pretty solid reviews, like games such as Destiny 2, which based on .. some users around here and their remarks ..few months ago, shooters on Stadia will stand no chance, yet .. they play awesome. 

Whoever waited a bug free and "all games" on Stadia day 1 ( remember, they will launch the Base version in 2020 ), must be the same people who are crying over bugs on day 1 launch of MMOs. 

I personally will not make the change to Stadia, but I see the possibilities on such services, which will , more or less, replace the concept of "personal computer" in the future. 

Is fine if people can't adapt to services such as Stadia, ( same as the ones who were very critical over downloadable games back in .. early 2000s ) , but it will happen, like it or not. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I will wait and see the real reviews when lot of people in the real world have it and have put time into the games.

Till then it is not real. Hard to believe that this will work well enough for gaming.