Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Nier: Automata as hard as The Surge?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
edited November 2019 in General Gaming
I've never played any of the Souls games as they didn't really appeal to me, even though I've heard a lot about them over the years. I bought 'The Surge' several weeks ago, and as hard as I tried to enjoy it I was just unable to, due to the constant dying and having to restart the level with all enemies having respawned etc.

I like the look of Nier: Automata, but that's where the problem lies... I like the "look" of it. I don't know how hard it'll be, whether it'll cause constant frustration (and eventually boredom) due to the difficulty, etc. The Surge was another gam,e that I liked the look of after watching Youtube videos, but stupidly I didn't realise how hard it was until I started playing.

Am I gonna be dying over and over again in Nier, or is it not really difficult like a Souls type game? I don't mind difficult games, but not to the point where the whole appeal is based on how hard the game is and how you're able to challenge yourself in order to complete the ridiculous difficulty.  Am I going to be able to take some hits before dying, or will EVERY mistake be punished as was the case when I played The Surge?

Comments

• davchadavcha Member UncommonPosts: 130
    There difficulty levels in nier automata. You can play it in potato mode and roflstomp the game. Or you can play it on the hardest difficulty and then cry like dark soul never made you cry
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I played Nier on normal settings and didn't find it too bad at all, if anything it got a bit easy and I would have benefited from upping to hard.

It can be a little difficult right at the beginning so easy/normal is recommended.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Agree with the two posters above me. Just be sure to not turn off the game once it is “finished,” you need to play it several times to get the entire story which is very, very much worth it. Also be sure to turn the music volume up, the game has an amazing soundtrack.

All in all it is one of my favourite games this generation and was capable of moving me like few other games can.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Well I usually play all of my video games on Normal difficulty settings and most likely will be playing Nier on the same. That being said, is Nier's difficulty not too hard on Normal, or will I be forced to play it on Easy mode in order to not be frustrated? I'm not an absolute dunce when it comes to playing hard video games, and can usually even play well enough on the hardest difficulty, but I try to get enjoyment without an over the top challenge when playing, so I tend to stick with Normal.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    FuryV said:
    Well I usually play all of my video games on Normal difficulty settings and most likely will be playing Nier on the same. That being said, is Nier's difficulty not too hard on Normal, or will I be forced to play it on Easy mode in order to not be frustrated? I'm not an absolute dunce when it comes to playing hard video games, and can usually even play well enough on the hardest difficulty, but I try to get enjoyment without an over the top challenge when playing, so I tend to stick with Normal.
    Normal is perfectly fine. Just be aware that the game shifts genres while playing, going from 2d action game to 3d, from action game to bullet hell shooter to twinstick shooter and back. It all works though and can be quite a spectacle.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Appreciated, thanks for the help guys.
  • FilthyPecanFilthyPecan Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    That being said, is Nier's difficulty not too hard on Normal, or will I be forced to play it on Easy mode in order to not be frustrated? I'm not an absolute dunce when it comes to playing hard video games, and can usually even play well enough on the hardest difficulty, but I try to get enjoyment without an over the top challenge when playing, so I tend to stick with Normal.  
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    No, because NieR Automata has difficulty settings, like any good game should.