Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Iselin said:
    I'm confused. This review puts the campaign at 15 hours. I've seen other reviews putting it as low as 10. But the chosen number from the "it's not too short" crowd seems to be 25-30 (I'm surprised it's not up to 30-35 now that we're on page 4 of this thread :) )

Now someone's got to be exaggerating. Who to believe? The reviewers or the peanut gallery?
    Some reviews I've seen put it at 25.

This site indicates "24 1/2" if you are a completionist. Or 13 just for the main story.

Groqstrongbartoni33
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    I'm confused. This review puts the campaign at 15 hours. I've seen other reviews putting it as low as 10. But the chosen number from the "it's not too short" crowd seems to be 25-30 (I'm surprised it's not up to 30-35 now that we're on page 4 of this thread :) )

Now someone's got to be exaggerating. Who to believe? The reviewers or the peanut gallery?

This site indicates "24 1/2" if you are a completionist. Or 13 just for the main story.

I didn't realize there were this many completionists here who regularly use the extreme high end as the number they always talk about when they talk about a game's length. I'll have to start referring to Skyrim as a 220 hour game from now on in these forums and won't complain when TES 6 sells for $450 :)
    Gdemamibartoni33Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    edited November 2019
    I wasn't going to play this game, but I saw it was available on origin premier so I've been playing and it and have absolutely LOVED it. People will always complain and drag a game through the dirt because it's published by EA, and it's the simple popular bandwagon thing to do instead of judging a game on it's merits, and the work the studio who actually developed it put into it. If you really actually want the practices of a company to change, then you also have to support the things that are done right. If there is money to be made in launching a complete, high quality single player game with no MTX or DLC, then they will do more of that. But if all you do is drag it and dismiss it because it's EA and don't even give it a fair chance, then what incentive do they have to bother making the games you actually want them to make?

I really honestly believe people should try this game, it's absolutely worth it. I've loved the story, I've loved the maps, characters, etc..
    Groqstrongelockegervaise1nate1980
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

I didn't realize there were this many completionists here who regularly use the extreme high end as the number they always talk about when they talk about a game's length. I'll have to start referring to Skyrim as a 220 hour game from now on in these forums and won't complain when TES 6 sells for $450 :)
    Point taken, but the rebuttal would be "i didnt know that there were so many ppl rushing to the end of the game".

The game gives you lots of opportunities to explore the world, take advantage and dont try to just finish the story.
    ValentinaFishForce
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

Point taken, but the rebuttal would be "i didnt know that there were so many ppl rushing to the end of the game".

The game gives you lots of opportunities to explore the world, take advantage and dont try to just finish the story.
    Actually I am a completionist myself. I just never thought to use MY number as the number when someone asks me how long a game is.

I milk the games I love for all they're worth and in RPGs with a lot of build choices, I replay the crap out of them with different builds. If I like a game I want to play it for weeks and I'm always kind of bummed out when I get to the end.
    Gdemamiimmodiumbartoni33
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited November 2019
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

Well, as I said, I've seen some reviews that said 25 hours. They didn't break it down bit by bit.

In any case, it depends on what this game is. If it is a role-playing game then that is very short. If it's a "shooter" then it falls in the ballpark. They bill it as an "action-adventure game" so if one buys that then it "falls in the ballpark."

Additionally, as I've "just" started it, they need to put in place some health and safety protocols as that work space is WAYYYYY too dangerous. :#
    bartoni33

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• UntamedgunnerUntamedgunner Member UncommonPosts: 56
    The definitely is 9 out 10. The cast of characters are likable to lovable. The story is really done well. ( someone commented they said bad story and gave it a 9). Typical read what you want to see type person. They said great story but they weren’t happy with the way it ended. Also if you bang through it it’s still 15-18 hours. That’s right on par with 96% single players games. Uncharted, Last of us God of war and so on. As far as the back tracking as you explore you find new areas and Force powers, these will be used to get shortcuts. There’s no cheese matic 5000 back tracking here. The set actually drives you to explore every inch and find all the secrets. I love people reviewing a game they yet to play.
    FishForceValentina
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited November 2019
    This is a really good game.  All the arguments I've read about the game not being good or having issues really didn't hold now that I have played it a bit.  Glad I actually played it rather than listening to the negativity on here.  As usual some people just want to find the bad no matter what.  For the record I am 20+ hours into the game.  I figure I have a few hours left at the very least and possibly as many as 10-15.

FishForceValentinasumdumguy1
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    razor247 said:
    It's garbage cash grab using the star wars to get stupid people to buy it. Dont be one of those people
    I would rather not be one of you.
    Sovrathpsychosiz1Xarko
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    edited November 2019

Aeander said:

So, I'm hearing a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls mechanics, which I do not like.

Is the game difficult and does it offer difficulty settings?

It is very much like Dark Souls in the combat. But it does offer difficulty settings so you can tune it up or down to make things easier or harder depending on how you like to play. Story mode is so easy that you are very unlikely to die... like ever die when fighting unless you just stand still.

BS.....The first boss kills you in 2 hits on the hardest level. You hit him once or 2x at a time and are constantly dodging.
  • Jester135Jester135 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited November 2019
    Enjoyed it, then the ending was poop. But really I just want a remake of kotor and kotor2. Maybe single player version of swtor class story lines lol

Also the incentive to explore, the cosmetic ones  were disappointing especially outfits.  Lightsaber ones were cool. I feel like they could've incorporated or made more use of that nightsister. The game was enjoyable especially the puzzles. Using combinations of force powers to solve. Combat was okay, just okay.
    Asm0deus
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Iselin said:

It really depends upon how you play. There are a lot of people that just blow through and don't find everything and do everything. On there are others that like to take time to look around and explore and appreciate the art of the game. I am only about 9 or so hours in and play somewhere in the middle both taking time at times and moving on at others. I expect I will play it somewhere on the order of 30 to 40 hours. Just remember that each person's mileage with vary.

[Deleted User]gervaise1

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FishForceFishForce Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited November 2019
    razor247 said:
    It's garbage cash grab using the star wars to get stupid people to buy it. Dont be one of those people

The Game is really worth it, i only played for an hour (casual player) and the start is really amazing. For me that hour alone was worth the money. And i can't buy a game of 60 euro's every month. Well, of course it's your own choice if you buy it or not.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

Cons - Woefully short: See you in a year or two when it is on more than a 50% discount. I won't pay for a trailer that is masquerading as a full priced game.

Well, if it really is 25/30 hours, it's not really short.
    IMO single players game should be 40hours or 40+ if you are a completionist. 

Also seems we are getting conflicting reports on the time it takes to complete this, I get the feeling 25/30hrs is people being very very generous.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

Cons - Woefully short: See you in a year or two when it is on more than a 50% discount. I won't pay for a trailer that is masquerading as a full priced game.

Also seems we are getting conflicting reports on the time it takes to complete this, I get the feeling 25/30hrs is people being very very generous.
    Well, in my opinion "a lot of things."

But what is that really based on other than what I like/prefer/want?

It seems more actiony games, as I listed above, aren't really all that long. Could "I" stand them to be longer? Absolutely. For me the longer the better. I like long movies, I can spend hours and hours in museums, I prefer going out to dinner and making it an event.

Longer is fine for me.

But action games tend not to be that long. There are some that are. Also, Quake 5 hours/Quake 2? A whole 8 1/2 hours. And these are good games. Of course more of something good could be very good. But at some point it can also wear its welcome. I'd rather a game be a little short making me want more (and possibly replaying it) than me slogging through and thinking "ok, when does this end?

I think 25 hours/30 hours are from people trying to do everything, possibly dying a lot and taking their time and enjoying it. I think 15-20 hours is probably correct for people who want to just make it to the end and move on.

Asm0deusPalebane

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Alturas said:

What is Denuvo? Thanks.
     Denuvo is a digital rights management (DRM) solution for game developers. They can license Denuvo and integrate it into their PC games. If they do, the Denuvo software provides anti-piracy protection.
    edited November 2019

Aeander said:

So, I'm hearing a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls mechanics, which I do not like.

It is very much like Dark Souls in the combat. But it does offer difficulty settings so you can tune it up or down to make things easier or harder depending on how you like to play. Story mode is so easy that you are very unlikely to die... like ever die when fighting unless you just stand still.

Please post a video of you fighting the Ogdo Bogdo on highest difficulty at the beginning of the game. The mini boss can 1 hit you. You are either trolling or have not played the game. I should add w/o cheesing the boss as well....
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Loving the game myself.  Honestly, GOTY for me with Kingdom Hearts 3 right behind it.  Nothing else has come out this year and blown me away.

Controls in the game take a bit to get used to, but once you get the "feel" of the game and the flow of what you should do first, mainly go explore, the game really shines.  Hint:  Head to Dathomir for a challenge and special upgrade to your lightsaber.  I went there after Zeffo and was pleasantly surprised.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Asm0deusCryomatrix

Aeander said:

The first min-boss can one hit you. Please post a video of you beating this on the hardest difficulty w/o cheesing it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    jitter77 said:

Aeander said:

The first min-boss can one hit you. Please post a video of you beating this on the hardest difficulty w/o cheesing it.
    ? He isn’t talking about the highest difficulty, he is talking about story mode difficulty.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sovrath
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited November 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

It seems more actiony games, as I listed above, aren't really all that long. Could "I" stand them to be longer? Absolutely. For me the longer the better. I like long movies, I can spend hours and hours in museums, I prefer going out to dinner and making it an event.

Longer is fine for me.

But action games tend not to be that long. There are some that are. Also, Quake 5 hours/Quake 2? A whole 8 1/2 hours. And these are good games. Of course more of something good could be very good. But at some point it can also wear its welcome. I'd rather a game be a little short making me want more (and possibly replaying it) than me slogging through and thinking "ok, when does this end?

I think 25 hours/30 hours are from people trying to do everything, possibly dying a lot and taking their time and enjoying it. I think 15-20 hours is probably correct for people who want to just make it to the end and move on.

Thing is for Quake/Doom type games that's okay as they are not really about the story and more about shooting/fighting and replaying them.

For something like this game  I feel it's more about the story, more rpg than a fighting game so once and done and that's it thus it needs to be longer to play.

Dunno but saying quake blablabla is like saying but LoL blablabla when talking about a proper mmorpg.

Like you say though opinions are like buttholes everyone has one even you and it's always based on what I prefer/want for pretty much everyone.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237
    The game is basically uncharted in a star wars skin in my opinion. Very few force powers to speak of, level design...is...ugg, doubling back to planets when you finally unlock the skills need to get past certain barriers. The game looks find and the sound is amazing (as it should be they have access to the star wars library). But man...9/10? I don't see it at all. This is gonna be one of those games that is pretty forgettable once you've gone through the first few hours (haven't finished it myself, as it's gotten kinda....samey).
    elocke
    Asm0deus said:
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

Longer is fine for me.

Thing is for Quake/Doom type games that's okay as they are not really about the story and more about shooting/fighting and replaying them.

For something like this game  I feel it's more about the story, more rpg than a fighting game so once and done and that's it thus it needs to be longer to play.

Dunno but saying quake blablabla is like saying but LoL blablabla when talking about a proper mmorpg.

Like you say though opinions are like buttholes everyone has one even you and it's always based on what I prefer/want for pretty much everyone.
    It's a good point but let's not jump to an exact 1:1 comparison.

This game is not just about story. It's touted as an "action adventure." So it has ties to the more "actiony" shooter genre.

Deus Ex mankind divided is a 15 hour story completion (again, if that site can be believed/accurate) and 29 1/2 with main and extra. And it's a more role playing story driven though still more actiony. It jumps with "completionist but I wonder what all that extra is?

Outer Worlds is 11 1/2 hour main story. Completionist is 34 hours.

My thought is that the people who think the game needs to be much longer are probably more embeded in the grand scope of role playing games so anything less than those seems odd.
    Asm0deus

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Those are some HUGE cons you have there at the end. "short and bad story". I ain't paying 60 bucks for a game that doesn't last one weekend.
    BakgrindAsm0deus
    Jyiiga said:
    Those are some HUGE cons you have there at the end. "short and bad story". I ain't paying 60 bucks for a game that doesn't last one weekend.
    Will wait for a sale or something you know!