Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO adds new pet to cash shop that increases inventory space

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
ESO has just added a new non-combat pet to the Crown Store and for the first time this is a cosmetic item with benefits. It' the Bristleneck War Boar and it comes with a permanent account-wide + 5 inventory slot perk.

The reaction about it being a P2W enabler is kind of funny on the ESO forums because inventory space "P2W" has been around in ESO for a long, long time in the ESO+ sub. I mean, that is the main reason for subbing with both a bottomless crafting mats bag and double inventory space in addition other other perks.

And players who don't want to sub have been lobbying them for years to make both of those perks available for purchase individually in the cash shop... fat chance of that happening since that would cripple their ESO+ scheme.

Nevertheless base inventory space in ESO is a joke considering the shower of crafting mats and gear sets (more than 100 unique sets of gear) you get during normal play. Many resort to a 2nd mule account (I have one of those) for storage especially since the base game goes on sale for $9.99 a couple of times each year.

But hey, gamer logic: if it's part of an optional sub it's not called P2W except by the most dedicated anti-MTX players, but sell it one piece at a time on the crown store and you quadruple the number of players who say it is.

This "As ESO Turns" factoid is brought to you free of sponsorship. If you want to drink Monster Energy drinks that's your own business.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Nanfoodlebcbully

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    In general, I hate Elder Scrolls Online's mounts (in the store) as they are too over the top. This, however, doesn't look so bad.

Won't buy it but it's not a bad design.
    Iselin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2019
    Sovrath said:
    In general, I hate Elder Scrolls Online's mounts (in the store) as they are too over the top. This, however, doesn't look so bad.

I agree. I like the gritty aesthetics. It reminds me a bit of my favorite costume in the game that I got for free as part of an event several years ago and still use as my default look:

BTW... that old screen cap actually is me in the game although I'd forgotten I uploaded it to my gallery here and grabbed it from google images :)

https://www.mmorpg.com/photo/0dc5f95e-ff76-42b3-927e-29b833ea6b7e

[Deleted User]Nanfoodle
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• wkyfamwkyfam Member UncommonPosts: 38
    There is always the concern with the "slippery slope" to microtransactions and stores in our games.  However, does +5 inventory slots provide any form of competitive advantage?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Does it matter? You can upgrade your mount that gives extra inventory spaces in game with gold.

You can already get a mobile merchant and banker. This isn't near the level of those. And the sub craft bag is there as well.

Nothing to see here. They could just sell inventory spaces straight out... At least here you get a visual pet.
    Nepheth
    SlyLoK said:
    Does it matter? You can upgrade your mount that gives extra inventory spaces in game with gold.

You can already get a mobile merchant and banker. This isn't near the level of those. And the sub craft bag is there as well.

Nothing to see here. They could just sell inventory spaces straight out... At least here you get a visual pet.
    No it doesn't matter a whole lot but what there is to see here is that they're attaching benefits to something that has always been just cosmetic for the first time and they even created a new sub-category in the crown store of "Inventory Pets" so this will obviously not be the only one.

It's news.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    anemorodingo

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    While the cash shop has mainly been cosmetic, you can already pay the subscription fee and get the unlimited crafting bag, which is essentially the same situation. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You can call it a Bristleneck War Boar. I prefer "Pig Packer."
    Iselin

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    You can call it a Bristleneck War Boar. I prefer "Pig Packer."
    I prefer pets you can eat when times are hard :)
    Amathe

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I find gamers are expecting more and more for nothing. I get some companies get greedy but there has to be some gates worth crossing to get our money. For 10 bucks for 5 slots on all characters and it gives you a pet, so worth it. Lots of games charge 10 bucks just for a cosmetic pet. I will be buying this pet as soon as I get a few other things I want first like a pocket merchant. Happily subbing and will be getting this with my free crowns. Get a grip people. 
    DinastyNepheth
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Nanfoodle said:
    I find gamers are expecting more and more for nothing. I get some companies get greedy but there has to be some gates worth crossing to get our money. For 10 bucks for 5 slots on all characters and it gives you a pet, so worth it. Lots of games charge 10 bucks just for a cosmetic pet. I will be buying this pet as soon as I get a few other things I want first like a pocket merchant. Happily subbing and will be getting this with my free crowns. Get a grip people. 

More like 'so not worth it'. You're right about the "greedy" part. $10 for five measly slots? That's 1/6 of a whole new game. WTF?
    Gdemami
    Sovrath said:

They are flashy and I personally like that but I also like having a meek looking mount as well at times. I think ESO does a good balance over games like WoW where almost everything look garish. 
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

No it doesn't matter a whole lot but what there is to see here is that they're attaching benefits to something that has always been just cosmetic for the first time and they even created a new sub-category in the crown store of "Inventory Pets" so this will obviously not be the only one.

It's news.
    I would not call it new. You could always buy Mount training books and that gave you bag space. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

It's news.
    Don't waste your breath. Some people will never see why stuff like this is bad. And game companies will keep doing it because of these people.
    Gdemami
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

It's news.
    I would not call it new. You could always buy Mount training books and that gave you bag space. 
    This is different. The ESO cash shop has always had cosmetic items and convenience items as separate things. The mount training books have always been "convenience" not cosmetic. A mount equivalent to this pet would be a mount skin that gives you +10 speed or + 10 inventory items all by itself.

This is mild for now but it's more along the lines of what BDO has with special underwear or pets that loot for you. It's the marriage of convenience with cosmetics and ESO has never had that before.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    ESO is one of the games where I rarely ever play it but always have hope for it. 
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    wkyfam said:
    There is always the concern with the "slippery slope" to microtransactions and stores in our games.  However, does +5 inventory slots provide any form of competitive advantage?
    No. People like to use "Pay-to-convenience" and "Pay-to-win" interchangeably for some reason. This is most definitely just a convenience item, which there are already numerous of in the ESO store (and obviously ESO+ is built off convenience too, as mentioned), so I don't see how this is any different.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    (P2E) Pay 2 Enjoy, not Pay 2 Win.

If your inventory space is over-filling as a newbie and you can swipe your credit card to (P2A) Pay 2 Advance faster, and you lose enjoyment because your inventory is over-filling constantly then it's Pay 2 Enjoy.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    I was fine with the sub & micro-trasaction system until they added lootboxes. Any company that wants you to gamble for the coolest stuff is done for me.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Only upsets people who think inventory space is the definition of winning.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited November 2019
    More convenience crap for $$$.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I guess this is new news that the thread hasn't started complaining about yet:  https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/29/lotro-players-denounce-50-legendary-item-catch-up-sale/

Pay the $50, get all the items you need to fully level your legendary weapon.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    anemo said:
    I guess this is new news that the thread hasn't started complaining about yet:  https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/29/lotro-players-denounce-50-legendary-item-catch-up-sale/

Pay the $50, get all the items you need to fully level your legendary weapon.
    god, someday maybe devs will figure out that there are still folks who like earn stuff playing the damn game at a reasonable pace. Instead  they make it where you either pay up, or expect a time gated grindy crap experience no one wants to endure.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Things in a cash shop that assist your character beyond an existing sub is bad news.  But saying its been around for a long time in the form of a sub is incorrect.  Subbing to a game is not pay to win.  I cant spend more on my sub then my sub costs, its a fixed amount per month for a fixed amount of services.  Cash shops on the other hand have no spending limits, the more you spend the better your character can get.  Its pretty simple to understand the difference.  Basic economics actually.   But most people are fiscally incompetent, that's one reason why cash shop games are so popular.
    GdemamiNanfoodle
    goboygo said:
    Things in a cash shop that assist your character beyond an existing sub is bad news.  But saying its been around for a long time in the form of a sub is incorrect.  Subbing to a game is not pay to win.  I cant spend more on my sub then my sub costs, its a fixed amount per month for a fixed amount of services.  Cash shops on the other hand have no spending limits, the more you spend the better your character can get.  Its pretty simple to understand the difference.  Basic economics actually.   But most people are fiscally incompetent, that's one reason why cash shop games are so popular.
    Cash shops in games like ESO are 100% optional. Sure you can speed things up but come end game, some who got there slow and someone who got there fast can have the same DPS, Heals or Damage mitigation. If people want to spend a bunch of money to get there first, I say let them. I have never been in a rush in any MMO I have played and it's nutters that drop that cash, that are paying for the next expansion. Win/Win if you ask me.