Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Reveals Stadia Launch Line Up and 2019 Games - MMORPG.com

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    achesoma said:
    WTF is a "Stadia?" Sounds like a STD.
    Google it.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
    TacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Gorwe said:

Sovrath said:

Xoph said:

Who would actually use Stadia? Who is their target audience? This just seems like a big failure waiting to happen.

I think that's the crux of it. Maybe it's not for "gamers" but for regular people who sometimes want to play something. Additionally, aren't there issues with streaming these types of games or have those been corrected?

Why not buy PS or Xbox then? Or even Switch.

Again, how much is the cost?

If one already has a pc and wants to try some video games, and a streaming service is only a few dollars per month then why would one want to buy a console?

But it really goes back to "who" is this for. Would somone who doesn't normally play video games even know about these games? Or maybe it's for people who are just curious or see one game and want to play it and would rather not spend money buying them. 

Too many questions.

You guys are forgetting the most important bit: Chromebooks as well as some Android tablets and the Pixel 2, 3 or 4 will let you play RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 using Stadia.

The system requirements are as low as they can possibly get. If you can watch video streams with your rig you can play any cutting edge PC game they offer.

Then I would say "that's the audience." People who are very casual, who don't want to buy a console, who are curious about this game or that, who don't need "50 games" on a service.

There are working poor and students out there for whom a console + TV would be a luxury but the cheapest laptop they can get their hands on is a necessity. The students with Chromebooks especially could be a big part of their market and if they adopt it, it'll be the next cool thing.

I don't know, when I was a poor student I hardly had time to play, and I would even have less have money to spend on a sub, but when I was working and then going to college still I had my end of the night playing aion.

also take note a "cheap" laptop here where I live would cost well over thousand, with by the time I could build a decent PC to run some games, mostly snes emulator and then psx emulator
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited November 2019
    Not a great list but some good games. BL3 was supposed to be a launch title but I guess it got delayed. More games will come.

I'm looking forward to trying it. Microsoft's XCloud is really close based on my testing. I expect Google to be a touch better.
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Its kind of a huge deal where once you needed a +1000 dollar gaming rig, you can now play on a chromebook or tablet. Im very curious to see how stadia handles lag sensitive games like mortal kombat and its other fighting games. Even dropping 1 frame in those is significant.

Mend and Defend

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Fun! Not only you pay full price for the games, but you are actually only renting them!

Gamers are so gullible.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I mean, if those were the exact games you wanted, it could be a good deal. Otherwise no.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Fun! Not only you pay full price for the games, but you are actually only renting them!

Gamers are so gullible.
    According to them you don' pay full price for the games. You pay 9.99 per month. For some reason there is also a $69 controller. Does one "need" that controller to play these games?

There seems to be a "Stadia Pro" service but the article I read said that if people didn't want that they could wait fo the service to "roll around" on tables/pc's later in 2020.

So, where are you getting that?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited November 2019
    learis1 said:
    Its kind of a huge deal where once you needed a +1000 dollar gaming rig, you can now play on a chromebook or tablet. Im very curious to see how stadia handles lag sensitive games like mortal kombat and its other fighting games. Even dropping 1 frame in those is significant.

It is not about framerate, the framerate will be fine. It is more about input lag. It will be more like you are lagging in an MMO, but all the time. The reality is most people have played / can run these games just fine. You can get all these games already for cheaper on other platforms (with the exception of Destiny 2 obviously). The casual gamer (Who stadia is targeting) only cares about price, not about whether a game runs at 4k 60 fps or not.
    learis1
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Sovrath said:

Gamers are so gullible.
    According to them you don' pay full price for the games. You pay 9.99 per month. For some reason there is also a $69 controller. Does one "need" that controller to play these games?

There seems to be a "Stadia Pro" service but the article I read said that if people didn't want that they could wait fo the service to "roll around" on tables/pc's later in 2020.

So, where are you getting that?
    Check out their actual service. You get 1 game (D2) you can play when it launches for $9.95 a month. You have to buy the other titles they are offering @ full price. How is that a deal?
    Celcius said:
    learis1 said:

It is not about framerate, the framerate will be fine. It is more about input lag. It will be more like you are lagging in an MMO, but all the time. The reality is most people have played / can run these games just fine. You can get all these games already for cheaper on other platforms (with the exception of Destiny 2 obviously). The casual gamer (Who stadia is targeting) only cares about price, not about whether a game runs at 4k 60 fps or not.
    If it matches the input lag of XCloud then I think it will be great. I'm expecting better though.
    alkarionlog
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Yikes thats all dated games at this point...... and very small list of games.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    The only folks I would see using this are people with really old laptops and no console.
    SlyLoK
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I thought everyone here knew that Stadia was not targeted at life-long PC gamers? 
  • atonicoatonico Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited November 2019

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Gorwe said:

Sovrath said:

Xoph said:

Who would actually use Stadia? Who is their target audience? This just seems like a big failure waiting to happen.

I think that's the crux of it. Maybe it's not for "gamers" but for regular people who sometimes want to play something. Additionally, aren't there issues with streaming these types of games or have those been corrected?

If one already has a pc and wants to try some video games, and a streaming service is only a few dollars per month then why would one want to buy a console?

But it really goes back to "who" is this for. Would somone who doesn't normally play video games even know about these games? Or maybe it's for people who are just curious or see one game and want to play it and would rather not spend money buying them. 

Too many questions.

You guys are forgetting the most important bit: Chromebooks as well as some Android tablets and the Pixel 2, 3 or 4 will let you play RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 using Stadia.

The system requirements are as low as they can possibly get. If you can watch video streams with your rig you can play any cutting edge PC game they offer.

That could the a target audience, but the network requirements for Stadia are 20Mb/s (minimum), while a video stream can be watched at 500kb/s.
    Would be useful for home setup, but would not work outside (at least until 5G, which is still an unknown trend due to health risks).
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Stadia mostly feels like a solution in need of a problem. 

It used to be interesting when Google did these kind of things. Now it is likely just another thing to half bake and leave to hang dry. 

Would have been a nice complementary service to go with Google Fiber, but... half baked and hung to dry. Now it has to run on someone else's network in most cases and those someones are prone to try to throttle any streaming services they do not own or profit from themselves. Most of those someones in the US also like data caps.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Xoph said:

Too many questions.

Then I would say "that's the audience." People who are very casual, who don't want to buy a console, who are curious about this game or that, who don't need "50 games" on a service.
    There are working poor and students out there for whom a console + TV would be a luxury but the cheapest laptop they can get their hands on is a necessity. The students with Chromebooks especially could be a big part of their market and if they adopt it, it'll be the next cool thing.
    For the price difference of paying for Stadia and a better Internet connection, you could likely just get a gaming desktop and have a far superior gaming experience with a lot more game options.

Even if you can get a game to display on a tablet, why would you?  Does your tablet have a keyboard and mouse?  Does it even have as many buttons as a controller?  For a cheap laptop, I could kind of understand it, as you have a keyboard and can plug in a mouse.
    Iselin
    achesoma said:
    WTF is a "Stadia?" Sounds like a STD.
    You're pretty close, actually.  It's Google's version of gaming on a thin client.

Gamers are so gullible.
    This doesn't prove that gamers are gullible unless they actually buy it.  Sometimes markets work how you'd hope in theory and bad products get broadly ignored.  That's how it worked for OnLive, for example.  Or, famously, the Ford Edsel.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Xoph said:

Too many questions.

For the price difference of paying for Stadia and a better Internet connection, you could likely just get a gaming desktop and have a far superior gaming experience with a lot more game options.

Even if you can get a game to display on a tablet, why would you?  Does your tablet have a keyboard and mouse?  Does it even have as many buttons as a controller?  For a cheap laptop, I could kind of understand it, as you have a keyboard and can plug in a mouse.
    Oh I agree. I think the "play it on Android tablets and even Pixel phones!" is just Google showing off.

But I know from recent experience with my son and now my daughter in university that a lot of their friends have no TVs - they watch everything on their PCs - but they all have laptops for school and free (or highly subsidized) high speed internet on campus and wifi at home is a priority for them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Sovrath said:

Xoph said:

I wouldn't call corrected, they said the controls would work like it would predicted the way you play the game and then do the move before you did to fix the lag issues, aka its like auto aim, with anyone who know how to play turn off because that thing make you lose headshots

plus come on, the public its stadia was supose to aim is not really gamers, they could put game like candy crusher and it would be the aim.

its like the cellphone games, why I would play a single player game online if I can do so offline and without the lag?

you could call it fix a problem then never existed

Anyone else thinking their resources would've been better spent creating their own version of Bluestacks/Nox that has no risk of compromising your account cause those are third party program(s) used by many to play almost EVERY popular/ top seller game on the Google play store.

It also seems like the list of playable games went through some type of quality control standard set by Google. There are no games by specific developers which makes me think that Stadia is just their way of getting into that Steam/Epic/Blizz game selling biz more than providing a new type of service. Wouldn't be surprised to see in a year they say they will give up on streaming service cause it didn't work out but will continue to just sell PC games in the "Stadia" store.
    BruceYee said:

Sovrath said:

Xoph said:

I wouldn't call corrected, they said the controls would work like it would predicted the way you play the game and then do the move before you did to fix the lag issues, aka its like auto aim, with anyone who know how to play turn off because that thing make you lose headshots

plus come on, the public its stadia was supose to aim is not really gamers, they could put game like candy crusher and it would be the aim.

its like the cellphone games, why I would play a single player game online if I can do so offline and without the lag?

you could call it fix a problem then never existed

Anyone else thinking their resources would've been better spent creating their own version of Bluestacks/Nox that has no risk of compromising your account cause those are third party program(s) used by many to play almost EVERY popular/ top seller game on the Google play store.

It also seems like the list of playable games went through some type of quality control standard set by Google. There are no games by specific developers which makes me think that Stadia is just their way of getting into that Steam/Epic/Blizz game selling biz more than providing a new type of service. Wouldn't be surprised to see in a year they say they will give up on streaming service cause it didn't work out but will continue to just sell PC games in the "Stadia" store.
    Google is a big enough company to work on more than one project at a time.  In fact, they're quite capable of simultaneously working on dozens of projects that will all be dead on arrival, and some of which will never even make it to a public launch.
    Tiller said:
    The only folks I would see using this are people with really old laptops and no console.
    I have a PS4 , Xbox one X and a gaming PC. I pre-ordered Stadia and am looking forward to it.

It is more than just another way to play games. Do a little research.

Not only that.. no more hardware costs.. Ever.
    sschrupp
    SlyLoK said:
    Tiller said:
    I have a PS4 , Xbox one X and a gaming PC. I pre-ordered Stadia and am looking forward to it.

It is more than just another way to play games. Do a little research.

Not only that.. no more hardware costs.. Ever.
    Until you decide that you'd like to play a game that isn't on their short list.  Or realize that thin clients don't actually work very well.  Or that your Internet access is a form of hardware costs.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Iselin said:
    Have they released any pricing details for the games?

Because if it's more than $10-20 you are going to end up spending vastly more on Stadia (especially per game) than you would on a second-hand console (or cheap PC) and a cheap TV, and shopping around for games that are on sale (if not outright F2P; e.g. Path of Exile, Warframe).
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    They are just starting out, it is a pilot program launch to test the waters, why have a millions games and you are not sure people will play it.

Also, perhaps, in the future a person would not want any extra hardware, just one big tv that can do it all.

Plus, if someone told you ten years ago, lets make a platform so people can watch other people play video games, what wou guys have said?
    IceAge
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.