Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - The Incredible Video Thread

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    this siye has been doing weird things, it iis becoming deprecated. Video links, quotes not closing off ect

Do people realize 1 SC planet is bigger then any mmorpg land mass / map being rendered in real time  within the Star System ? I keep saying "scale" people just can't wrap their head around it... then you see really ignorant posts about time tables on a project that's never been done before.
    Does the size of the land mass actually matter though? It's nice and all but what there is to do is probably what matters to most people. And tbf SC's land masses are small compared to what is in Elite (also rendered in real time).

sgel
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    it iis becoming deprecated.
    prove it
    rpmcmurphy

..Cake..

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited November 2019

Does the size of the land mass actually matter though? It's nice and all but what there is to do is probably what matters to most people. And tbf SC's land masses are small compared to what is in Elite (also rendered in real time).

They still have to build 99 more systems and after 7 years, haven't finished the first one yet.

Stanton Citizen does have massive worlds, but void of content in comparison to smaller maps in less-funded games. They are very barren and lifeless.

Unless you count seeing the same NPC in every space station or city.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited November 2019
    this siye has been doing weird things, it iis becoming deprecated. Video links, quotes not closing off ect

Do people realize 1 SC planet is bigger then any mmorpg land mass / map being rendered in real time  within the Star System ? I keep saying "scale" people just can't wrap their head around it... then you see really ignorant posts about time tables on a project that's never been done before.

Considering land claims there's more of a point to its scale.

Planet surface content should work fine with spawn ins, if they do a bunch of rando spawn points so doesn't end up stalled (aka mapped).

If the rando spawn is added to content as ship-wrecks, cave entrance spawns, enemy AI outposts (or friendly ones with trading opportunities/missions maybe), etc.... The exploration game loop will work just fine.

They don't need the 100 solar systems to provide good game loops, add nuf variety of stuff that could spawn in, with some unique events mixed in, and that scale of the playfield is already there.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:

Considering land claims there's more of a point to its scale.

Planet surface content should work fine with spawn ins, if they do a bunch of rando spawn points so doesn't end up stalled (aka mapped).

If the rando spawn is added to content as ship-wrecks, cave entrance spawns, enemy AI outposts (or friendly ones with trading opportunities/missions maybe), etc.... The exploration game loop will work just fine.

They don't need the 100 solar systems to provide good game loops, add nuf variety of stuff that could spawn in, with some unique events mixed in, and that scale of the playfield is already there.
    When they add that all in then it will be judged by the community if it was worth the wait. For now though it’s mostly barren planets.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    edited November 2019

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited November 2019
    This thread started in 2016, 15 pages of posts so far, the videos look good but I do worry that we will still be here in 2026 on 50 pages of posts. I am the sort of player who says "it does not matter how long it takes, just do it well." But that is being stretched even for me.
    Amathe
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Scot said:
    This thread started in 2016, 15 pages of posts so far, the videos look good but I do worry that we will still be here in 2026 on 50 pages of posts. I am the sort of player who says "it does not matter how long it takes, just do it well." But that is being stretched even for me.
    Doesn’t matter how long it takes, just do well is usually reserved for companies with a proven track record of releasing great games not for first time companies with a proven track record of lying to their backers and constantly trying the old fake it till you make it
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    It's like being in a movie sometimes :D 

Yeah, The Martian. Barren and lifeless. 

AmatheScot
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Indeed it is :D

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

If that movie is Waterworld, yes I would agree.
    Babuinix

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited November 2019
    Amathe said:

You wouldn't since you never played it. And the sad thing is that you're clearly interested because you keep posting here and despite having a whole week to try it for free lol

I guess making ignorant snarky remarks about the game is just your lazy way of experiencing it B)
    Babuinix said:
    Amathe said:

You wouldn't since you never played it. And the sad thing is that you're clearly interested because you keep posting here and despite having a whole week to try it for free lol

I guess making ignorant snarky remarks about the game is just your lazy way of experiencing it B)
    I guess you are more easily amused.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Babuinix said:
    Amathe said:

I guess you are more easily amused.
    Not as easily as you so it seems :)
    Babuinix said:

... you're clearly interested because you keep posting here 
    Yes. I am interested. I may even buy this game someday (if it ever gets to that point) and play it.

But there are things about SC I don't like. For example, I am intensely skeptical of the money SC is raising, how the money is being raised, and the time of production.

As to the screenshots and vids (the focus of this thread), I have said many times they are pretty. But pretty is not all there is to it. I also find them dull and wooden. It's like Disney's It's A Small World ride in space. Except it is an absurdly large world - way larger than makes any sense to me.  You can't credibly say that's not an issue, because if it isn't why not make in 10 times larger still? Where does it stop making sense when it comes to size?

I also thought the developing world learned a lesson from Vanguard about the folly of making a game that everyone has to buy a new computer to play. Nothing about this game inspires me to want to do that.

I will continue to review screens and vids, and occasionally I will comment.  I don't need your permission for that. Nor am I much interested in your personal attacks on me, as I consider the source. 
    rpmcmurphy

Amathe said:
    Babuinix said:

... you're clearly interested because you keep posting here 
    Yes. I am interested. I may even buy this game someday (if it ever gets to that point) and play it.

But there are things about SC I don't like. For example, I am intensely skeptical of the money SC is raising, how the money is being raised, and the time of production.

As to the screenshots and vids (the focus of this thread), I have said many times they are pretty. But pretty is not all there is to it. I also find them dull and wooden. It's like Disney's It's A Small World ride in space. Except it is an absurdly large world - way larger than makes any sense to me.  You can't credibly say that's not an issue, because if it isn't why not make in 10 times larger still? Where does it stop making sense when it comes to size?

I also thought the developing world learned a lesson from Vanguard about the folly of making a game that everyone has to buy a new computer to play. Nothing about this game inspires me to want to do that.

I will continue to review screens and vids, and occasionally I will comment.  I don't need your permission for that. Nor am I much interested in your personal attacks on me, as I consider the source. 
    There's a new free-fly event coming up if you're still interested, still no oceanic planets like in Waterworld just yet :)

Star Citizen: Welcome Hub

MyRadar & Star Citizen are going to Space!

Maxed Out Cutlass Black

Taking out Hackers

Erillion
    edited November 2019

Post edited by Babuinix on
    ErillionTom_Neverwinter

Tom_NeverwinterErillion
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Kind of amused that this thread was created by someone who got permanently banned. Was that as a supporter of the game, curious minds wish to know. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    cheyane said:
    Kind of amused that this thread was created by someone who got permanently banned. Was that as a supporter of the game, curious minds wish to know. 

If you look at the very first post, the OP wanted to shame the developer of the game by posting a video that shows a game demo going wrong, hardware not working etc. So no, he was anything but a supporter of the game. He got more radical in his postings, which eventually got him perma banned. It was supposed to discredit the game. You will also find some funny video-bug videos earlier in that thread.

But later this thread mutated into a collection of some of the most awesome pictures and videos you will see in space games. Especially since "Director mode" was introduced into Star Citizen and some creative players were going all out in making their own videos. Some of them being well made Sci-Fi shorts with good stories.

If you consider that this is just the beginning - with MANY more resources still to be added to fuel the creativity of the gamers and (amateur) directors (some of which are anything BUT amateurish) - i very much look forward to even more awesome videos posted here in this thread in the future.

Have fun
    Babuinixkitarad
    Top Gun Simulator :D

Star Wars Tribute

Mandalorian Tribute

Following the Star Wars and cinematic theme...

:D
    Minsc
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765

Learning how to mine lol
    BabuinixRaidonn

Erillion
    Imagine Trailer updated

Erillion