Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO for seeing people in the world?

anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
edited November 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
So what's the best MMO where you're doing "whatever", and you're most likely to see other players filling the world doing their own different "whatevers"?

EVE is pretty good for this since you'll eventually be in Jita at some point to really let the "crowd" seep in, in rather uncomfortable ways.   Likewise it's pretty good about having different areas having different types of content (people there for mining, farming NPCs, exploration, and/or PvP content).

RuneScape is pretty above average as well.   Having a pretty small world, chocked full of content, and is very above average at keeping areas interesting to all levels (whether through quest chains that cycle you to areas above/below your level, or returning to grind a low level skill).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Post edited by anemo on
Amathe

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Whats site becoming,..... Just seeing people ?.... how about playing with people ?
    Viper482AmatheMaurgrimCryomatrixScotmgilbrtsn
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Problem with MMO's is they eventually grow way too big to keep every area outside of hubs populated. Games with Megaservers are your best bet, ESO seems to always have people around since every player is technically on the same server. WoW has layering which is has the same effect.
    Phaserlight
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I like this post and am glad you made it.

Part of living in a virtual world is seeing and interacting with people as they go about their everyday virtual lives.  To me that is important part of the game. It's not all about beating on the latest loot pinata. 

I found original SWG was good about this. There were player cities, player houses,  awesome crafting with player stores, and active NPC cities and towns. 

There was always someone to talk to.

It really felt like a world.

PhaserlightimmodiumAzoth

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I mean, just randomly running across people doing their thing who may have intersecting wants and needs is one of the main joys in the MMORPG in my sig that I still play.

I suspect it's that way for many MMOs, however.  If not, I'd be asking 'what went wrong?'

/2c
    Amathe

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I was surprised this weekend at how many people I saw on the newbie island in Ryzom.  Many would at least give an emote when you saw them, one or two talked or helped with something, and one even wanted to duel (enough to encourage me to figure out how to ignore someone).  Overall, a pleasant surprise in such an old game.

But if you're just counting seeing characters, feel free to take a walk through the Bazaar in EQ1.  Most of them aren't at their keyboard, though.  Even a generally evil game like PWI has an ocean of catshops in the major cities, trying to sell anything not nailed down.

Seeing a character isn't being able to group with them, or even having a conversation with the person behind the character.  Boxes and bots outnumber people these days, in my experience.

Phaserlight

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    FFXIV had people pretty much everywhere I went at any time on my server as the leveling promotes multiple classes on one character so people are always out leveling. You mentioned Runescape, I think that game has the most players around at any given time in an MMO I've seen at any location you can get a skill up. It's a bit obvious but at the moment classic WoW has people pretty much everywhere, even in the starting areas still (although a lot lower than before). 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Right now probably classic wow, ESO, ff14
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    ... and GW2.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Depends on a lot of things, world size as you mentioned too, then world design, population, peak hours, events, etc.
    During the Bloodmoon in CO you barely could find some solitude, then the event ended, and the world got more spacious overnight.
    New server launches are crowded times as well, last was Classic so probably can see a lot of people there still.
    By world design I mean how well the different parts are utilised, with an another Cryptic example in Neverwinter you can always see a bunch of people in the zones with dragons, simply because of the campaigns. Same for PE, as the main hub (but that could apply for most games, and the title says "in the world", not in the central hub :) ), the rest of the (leveling) zones however are less populated.

If you seek just the general meetups, stripped down from effects of events, new content launches, hype-fuelled mass logins etc., I believe the safest bets are either the "popular" titles (as mentioned above, FF XIV, ESO, GW2) or the eastern games (smaller and instanced zones usually).
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Entropia does especially during events. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    ESO and Destiny 2.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited November 2019
    Whats site becoming,..... Just seeing people ?.... how about playing with people ?
    I think its save to assume that we understand that playing with people too is a given part of that question.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    goboygo said:
    I think its save to assume that we understand that playing with people too is a given part of that question.
    Best mmo for "JUST" seeing people.

That's the topic headlines.
    ScotKyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited November 2019
    goboygo said:
    Best mmo for "JUST" seeing people.

That's the topic headlines.
    I am not sure here myself, many pure solo MMO players like seeing other people around them and do not interact at all, that's why I think it is a fair question to ask. They treat anyone who questions how much interaction they are doing as if they are The Interaction Police or something. :)
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited November 2019
    There you all go, an edited title.    Seems the feature finally works on this site.

Amazed that it was Delete that zoned in on the exaggeration and hyperbole, when that's their entire existence on the forum.
    Post edited by anemo on
    Cryomatrixvandal5627[Deleted User]

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

edited November 2019
    anemo said:
    There you all go, an edited title.    Seems the feature finally works on this site.

Amazed that it was Delete that zoned in on the exaggeration and hyperbole, when that's they're entire existence on the forum.
    Sure I get it, but maybe one day you will be lured over to the dark side...and interact. :)

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Scot said:
    anemo said:

Amazed that it was Delete that zoned in on the exaggeration and hyperbole, when that's they're entire existence on the forum.
    Sure I get it, but maybe one day you will be lured over to the dark side...and interact. :)

I do.   When I was in runescape my friends list was mostly people I've met while mining or something similar.    The same for EVE, but by being on nonsense chat channels.

Most MMOs feel less MMO like than the single player game CrossCode because they shunt their entire player bases into cross server instances.   Which are even worse, since you're mostly going to be meeting people you can't actually meet in the world.
    Scot

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    On the mainstream MMOs there is little to no interaction just by open-world standards.

The more sandbox one MMO is, especially when they can have some player impact on the game-world, the more you see players doing widely varied things going on with their lives.

To me examples given like GW2, ESO, etc... are meh because having players around does not really make the world feel alive as it's pretty linear gameplay per area you are on.
    Scot
    MaxBacon said:
    On the mainstream MMOs there is little to no interaction just by open-world standards.

The more sandbox one MMO is, especially when they can have some player impact on the game-world, the more you see players doing widely varied things going on with their lives.

To me examples given like GW2, ESO, etc... are meh because having players around does not really make the world feel alive as it's pretty linear gameplay per area you are on.
    It a conundrum, I just can't a fully sandbox MMO, but they do the best interaction. Roleplaying guilds in theme parks would certainly have something to say about that, but that's about it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    DMKano said:

That's how quite a few people like to play today.

Some people play near each other- but dont really interact otherwise 

People just want the sense that others are there but have no real desire to actually do anything with them like actually communicate beyond just saying hi (most times not even doing that)

When was the last time you were in a close knit social guild?
    Oh, sort of how it's like in almost any US suburban neighborhood.

I've lived next to some of these folks for 30 plus years, yet rarely interact besides an occasional convo or friendly wave.

Most I dont even know their names so my and I have taken to using nicknames.."wit-sec" guy, "grow house guy", basketball guy etc.

I'm sure they call us similar, probably the crazy old cat people. 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AbhorerAbhorer Member UncommonPosts: 34
    EVE in any social/trading hub like Jita; it's very interesting because people are not afraid to interact. That's a true sandbox MMO, though I don't play it anymore due to the fact that I think is very outdated, but there you can see the people doing their life, various and diverse as in the real life itself.