Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next big name license flop!

2»

Comments

• BroughdenBroughden Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Grindalyx

Dude chill out, i read the article and yes i do remember them saying that now. So i made a mistake. I do keep up on the game and i do alot of other things also so i don't always remember everything i am human. Also i don't attack you or anyone else in here so don't attack me. I try to have a civil discussion about things, sometimes i get a little hot under the collar but i don't personally attack people. I also admit when i am wrong and this is one of the times.

Sorry. Im just in a big Turbine hate fest right now.

I didnt mean anything personally.

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by Senden

Well Turbine screwed up with DDO and from what I can tell with this game, this will be another big flop but probably more low key than DDO has a lot of people will stay away originally. Sadly though, this game had so much potential back when the old developers were doing it and it just seemed like a great overall game but now.. i'm not so sure.
    What does everyone else think?

Turbine is lucky if I even choose to try this game out. It looks hopeless. Lord of the rings, the ultimate good vs evil story, with no pvp, no thanks.
  • TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I agree with the OP.  Originally, when it was Middle Earth Online, it had some interesting features in the works.  Now it has become something entirely different, and I'm not sure I will like it.  It's a shame.

My biggest problem with it is this:  Turbine seems to have taken away our chance to be a unique character in Middle Earth.  Sort of how Star Wars Galaxies (the original) let us become whoever we wanted in the Star Wars Universe, I was hoping that we could do the same in Middle Earth.

Now, it seems that we will all be doing the same thing, on the same quest tracks, following along like mindless sheep.  It may still be a fun game, I don't know, but it has definitely changed course from what I was looking for it to be.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

What the heck?  I thought this double post glitch was fixed?

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Broughden

Originally posted by Grindalyx

Dude chill out, i read the article and yes i do remember them saying that now. So i made a mistake. I do keep up on the game and i do alot of other things also so i don't always remember everything i am human. Also i don't attack you or anyone else in here so don't attack me. I try to have a civil discussion about things, sometimes i get a little hot under the collar but i don't personally attack people. I also admit when i am wrong and this is one of the times.

Sorry. Im just in a big Turbine hate fest right now.

I didnt mean anything personally.

No problem. I understand how people can get frustrated.

imageimage

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I never really wanted to play this for the simple reason it is Turbine making it. I haven't liked a single game they've made yet. I love the LOTR movies, books and lore. Part of me is scared to see some little Hobbit kiting a Balrog around. But maybe the game will turn out ok. They've got enough lore to draw from. But will it be good or turn out like SWG did? We'll have to see. If it's good I'll be there.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    You people DO realise this game is comming from a diffrent development team then D&DO and the Asherons call series? the graphics look VERY good, the features listed looks nice, and it seems the developers are trying to stay loyal to the story line as much as possible.  other then that, you haven't seen anything yet, so how can you already predict its going to fail? 

• BroughdenBroughden Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Gameloading
    You people DO realise this game is comming from a diffrent development team then D&DO and the Asherons call series? the graphics look VERY good, the features listed looks nice, and it seems the developers are trying to stay loyal to the story line as much as possible.  other then that, you haven't seen anything yet, so how can you already predict its going to fail? 

A) Its all the same company with the same executives wielding influence over the development direction at the top.

B) How can I predict this game is going to fail? Easy. They JUST entered pre-alpha testing. They have PUBLICLY stated they are shooting for a November release in order to cash in on Christmas sales.  Leaving them 6-7 months to do alpha testing, beta testing and then change any problems found in game during those testing cycles. Does that sound like a company committed to quality to you?

Not enough testing/fixing time = Just another bug filled MMO.

With Conan and Vanguard and NWN2 all coming out in the same time frame they should not take the risk of releasing a buggy title. But they dont seem to care as long as they can get that phat Christmas cash.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

In my opinion....

The success of this game should be a no brainer. As long as it is not being developed by SOE I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I truly love LOTR and with that much backstory for the game readily available to the developers they would have to be complete morons **cough SOE** to screw this up.

I honestly feel that If they took the original EQ engine and slapped some updated graphics on it people would play this game. We really just want to feel immersed in the world of middle earth and to see familliar faces and locations while hunting mobs and running dungeons. Lets face it, that was the real draw of EQ from the very beginning.

It would be wise if the developers of this game would adhere to the K.I.S.S philosophy

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Broughden

Originally posted by Gameloading

A) Its all the same company with the same executives wielding influence over the development direction at the top.

Fact remains the people over at D&DO will have nothing to do with Lotro.

B) How can I predict this game is going to fail? Easy. They JUST entered pre-alpha testing. They have PUBLICLY stated they are shooting for a November release in order to cash in on Christmas sales.  Leaving them 6-7 months to do alpha testing, beta testing and then change any problems found in game during those testing cycles. Does that sound like a company committed to quality to you?

I will never judge a game on beta length. we don't know how much Lotro will have tested theirself. neither do we know how many people are on the development team. with a big team and a lot of testing, I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't be possible in 6-7 months. besides, even then. all that will remain are a couple of bugs, unless they are major bugs, its hardly something to judge a game on.

Not enough testing/fixing time = Just another bug filled MMO.

With Conan and Vanguard and NWN2 all coming out in the same time frame they should not take the risk of releasing a buggy title. But they dont seem to care as long as they can get that phat Christmas cash.

• GreyfriarGreyfriar Member Posts: 3
     Well if it is set with the growing power of Angmar vs the northern kingdom of Arnor I would hope we wouldnt see any LOTR characters other than the 5 wizards (Saruman, Gandalf, Radhegast, and the 2 blue wizards of the east), Elves, Treebeard. Well obviously the Witch King of Angmar could be zipping around (as a mortal even not having one of the 9 rings of men yet at least not succumbing to it till after Angmar has become mighty) I would avoid him of course as he isnt fated to die until the battle of the Pelinor at the hands of Eowyn. As for magic the Elves are the most powerful magic wielders not the 5 wizards however the magic itself is subtle instead of flashy.  Wizards had the advantage of being unkillable as agents of the Valar.
  • FalconoffuryFalconoffury Member Posts: 555

MEO was actually dated at one time to release christmas 2004. If they wanted the christmas cash, they would have released the game 2 christmases ago.

People who say that they don't like Turbine, probably didn't give their games much of a chance, or are just basing it on rumor. I personally am still a player of AC ever since the beta in 1999! I played AC2 from release to about a year later, but went back to AC. I played DDO beta, but decided that the game just wasn't my style. Now, let me break down my experiences with Turbine games so far...

AC is Turbine's greatest achievement. It had a good launch, and even to this day has a loyal, diehard playerbase. Most of my friends never heard of the game, but when I let them try it out, they love it. If judged purely on gameplay, features, and content (not popularity), then AC can be considered one of the best mmorpgs ever made. I personally think it is. Turbine has improved the game over the years with monthly patches, and all these improvements have added up. I play for the monthly patches. If they didn't exist, I wouldn't be playing.

AC2 is one of the poorest releases of all mmorpgs. It ranks right up there with Horizons and AO. Bugs, bugs, bugs, class imblances, broken classes, not able to help rebuild the world (as stated on the box). Some bugs helped people level to 50 in the first 2 weeks of the game. I remember people making some of the strongest monsters in the game freeze up so that they can be easily killed. People put up with the bugs decently, but Turbine came out with the nerf bats over the first 6 months of release. Classes that were overpowered at release were turned into complete garbage. Meanwhile, the broken classes were ignored. People really grew to hate patch day in that first year. Some patches even brought in more bugs than they fixed. I remember on the forums players begging the devs to roll the game back and skip that month's patch. It wasn't just the release that ruined AC2, it was the nerfing. The game was actually really good when Legions came out, but I guess too many players had sour memories of nerfs and bugs.

DDO is basically a lukewarm release. It's not the disaster that AC2 was, but it's a very niche game. It just isn't for as wide of an audience as WoW is for example.

The summary about Turbine is that they had their ups and downs, but they can make a great game. AC2 was messed up because Microsoft was in charge, and they wanted to rush the game out the door long before it was ready. Like I said, after 3 years of patches and a good expansion pack, AC2 turned into a good game. They just couldn't get the sales they needed. We should assume that LOTRO will not be a repeat of AC2 because they are working on the game for a much longer time. You can't just say that the game will suck because of no pvp or weak magic. At least wait for a beta or even a preview from a website.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Ask Boromir if I intend to try this game?

Boromir says:  "Nah, Ano lack and is grouping in some lame game that reward soloers, can you see how lacking Ano is?  Unable to realize just how lame solo is..."

I don't care for solo haters and raid enforcer...and guess what, those devs are both!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• bluntedblunted Member Posts: 6
    No matter how bad the game is people will buy it because it bears the LotR title.
  • paadepaade Member Posts: 471

Originally posted by blunted
    No matter how bad the game is people will buy it because it bears the LotR title.

Yes, but you see people buyin the game doesnt really matter much if it goes the same road as DDO: people quitting in droves after few weeks because the game sucks big time. And D&D isnt a small name by any means, not among MMO'ers anyway, quite the opposite. So the name LotR might sell lot of boxes but it doesnt matter is the game a success or not, subscriber number (months after reliese) defines that.
    Anyway, I dont believe Turbine will make the same mistake as it did with DDO (not enough content, and dont give me that bs that DDO was meant to be niche. If a game developer buys a big name it wants to make tons of cash out of it claiming anything else is ridiculous. They just made a very lousy game, that is all.). Turbine cant afford to fuck up this one too. Turbine lives or dies with LotR.
  • LFGroupLFGroup Member UncommonPosts: 36

AFAIK the tiniest book/collectible/game released with a "LOTR" tag on it has been approved by those who own the rights to the license, and I highly doubt they'll let a half finished (or crap) game reach the shelves.

Maybe Turbine has not always made everything right but this time you can be sure there are a bunch of people behind them 24/7 who are watching each of their moves.

I think I'll buy LOTRO, not because I trust Turbine, I don't know them enough to judge them, but because I trust the LOTR license owners.

• ::blank::::blank:: Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by anarchyart

I think that this is  just a big troll thread and people who are saying this game will flop when it's not even in beta are the biggest pieces of crap on this site. Get a ****ing life you friggin hermits. Go into off topic and talk about how much it sucks to live in your parents garage, at least it's something you have a damn clue about.
    /rant

For one.. i hate this game.. it hasnt come out and i hate it.. i hate Turbine..i hate Code masters. neither company has produced anything worth a damn in a very long while. There is no being on the evil side which is retarded... if turbine was really trying to "go after wow" which is a JOKE, they would have made it where you could be on the evil side.and made it more pvp, thats how you go after wow..cause most of wow's players want PVP content.. the idea of being good or evil in the LOTR world..is an amazing idea..it would have been so fun.. wars in middle earth...could have been somethign to play..indstead its going to be a quest fest which people are sick of cause of wow, on top of that..if turbine thinks they can compete with blizzard on any level..they are sadly mistaken... AC was their game..they ruined it with AC2.. and havent done anything good since.... its not stupid to assume this game will suck... its a given at this point...

also.. im 18 and live on my own..i have many nice things and i pay for them all..i have a great job making enough money to support my own family if i ever do need to do that...so please dont sit there and bash on us "living in our parents basements"...it makes you look like an idiot.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well...

- No raiding at release but a promise to add it: LOL, not only are they making sure peoples like me won't play the game, but raiders are unlikely to play for "future" promises.

- Soloers are lames, ask boromir.  Not home of the soloers.

- Class are "similars", grouping suffer...grouping deserve wide variety, clear roles.

I dunno why someone would try to trash the game any further, unless they love to trash for the pleasure of it.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• IbacaiIbacai Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Anofalye

Well...

- No raiding at release but a promise to add it: LOL, not only are they making sure peoples like me won't play the game, but raiders are unlikely to play for "future" promises.
    - Soloers are lames, ask boromir.  Not home of the soloers.
    - Class are "similars", grouping suffer...grouping deserve wide variety, clear roles.

I dunno why someone would try to trash the game any further, unless they love to trash for the pleasure of it.

You live in your own world don't you?

1. There is no raid content at launch and they don't have any plans to add any. It could come later but it isn't declared. If you don't like it fine but it's only a negative for certain people.

2. Your grasp (or lack thereof) of the English language doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that you tried to bend Orion's dev diary around your feable understanding. It's been said before that solo content will be in the game and that it will be a viable option for anyone who wants to solo. Reading is a skill, so quit using the Boromir quotes.

3. You have no idea how the classes will play at release. Hell, you don't even know how the classes will play in beta. Slow down and think before you post.

Hate Turbine, hate the devs, and hate the type of game LotRO is shaping up to be. That's all subjective . Do not hate the game for your stupid reasons though.