Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - The Incredible Video Thread

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Amathe said:
    Babuinix said:
    I don't follow the relation, what does fan-made videos of a modern video-game in production have to do with the cost to make a Star Wars movie in 1977?
    The Star Wars reference It is a measure (but certainly not a scientific formula or slide rule) of what has been accomplished in the realm of science fiction for far, far less money. It's not that the screens and vids don't look good. They do. But goodness a sick amount of money has been spent so far and no game has been released. 

If your point is that movies and games are different things, well ok then lol. I can certainly concede that. But I think you are working pretty hard not to see my point. 
    I see your point and it's not a very good one. Not only you're comparing different mediums but from totally different eras. It's not only fundamentally flawed but most importantly, wilfully ignorant and intellectually disingenuous by failing to acknowledge basic things like inflation for example.

This is a thread for videos of/about Star Citizen made by it's community showcasing cool footage, from gameplay to narrative, interesting stunts or just creative stuff like that anime one. Please enjoy it for what it is and leave your own petty issues out of it. :)

Catching a bounty mid EVA flight, locking him on the vault to then shoot him.

They did adjust for inflation but were off but about 7 mil
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I really don't care about teh graphics,,,,Obviously they have spent millions on that...What we want is good gameplay and not $1000 ships.
    Well, I do.

As seen by the other funded titles around with cheap graphics, animations, etc... Star Citizen is the one pushing to current standards as far as how good a sim MMO can visually look.

There is an audience for that, that wants a world created with that focus on details and immersion, makes it entertaining to just go around seeing places.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    I really don't care about teh graphics,,,,Obviously they have spent millions on that...What we want is good gameplay and not $1000 ships.
    You might be waiting a very very long time
    Already looking dated. Just imagine another 5-8 years until launch. yikes!
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    Kefo said:
    I can see Roberts delaying the release to do a graphics overhaul and begging for more money in the process.
    NorseGod

MaxBacon said:
    Well, I do.

As seen by the other funded titles around with cheap graphics, animations, etc... Star Citizen is the one pushing to current standards as far as how good a sim MMO can visually look.

There is an audience for that, that wants a world created with that focus on details and immersion, makes it entertaining to just go around seeing places.
    I’m sure plenty of people would actually prefer gameplay though. Graphics for me are a good thing but without story or compelling gameplay I’ll move on quickly.

I still fire up the SNES to play the great RPG’s because they are superbly done not because they are graphically intense
    edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    I can see Roberts delaying the release to do a graphics overhaul and begging for more money in the process.

The long-planned graphics overhaul are well under their way already. Sometimes you guys forget this is a game active under dev, and graphics are part of that process.

Such has DX12/Vulkan deep in dev (this is the major overhaul planned for years), new global lightning, continuous versions of the procedural technology, fog, atmosphere visual tech, large-scale shadows, continuous new VFX, also including the cloud tech as they'll have to render a gas giant landing zone after all... and so forth.

And when they do create textures, etc.. already on high res (that are actually downgraded on the live game for performance) they won't have to do any major redoing of assets to improve quality, in short, they are ready for years to come.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Latest Inside Star Citizen episode.

Look at what a pile of wank that is.

It is so boring and uninspired. It's like a checklist from a high school bedroom coder making his first level. Featureless locations, bullet sponge enemies, no reactions to being hit until they die, dogshite AI, dogshite physics. Shite FPS gameplay in a fucking engine made purely for FPS gameplay!
    Babuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2019
    A great (awfull) example of how open development being the ultimate instigator of kneejerk reactions.

You're the reason most companies are so reluctant to showcase work in progress.

This is funny and sad in a ironic kind of way considering that it's coming from a elite dangerous fanboy who'se community has for years been begging for more feedback from the company (frontrier) about what they are working for their game with no avail.

Now you know.

PS- OffTopic and flagged as such.
    Gdemamirpmcmurphy
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

The long-planned graphics overhaul are well under their way already. Sometimes you guys forget this is a game active under dev, and graphics are part of that process.

Such has DX12/Vulkan deep in dev (this is the major overhaul planned for years), new global lightning, continuous versions of the procedural technology, fog, atmosphere visual tech, large-scale shadows, continuous new VFX, also including the cloud tech as they'll have to render a gas giant landing zone after all... and so forth.

And when they do create textures, etc.. already on high res (that are actually downgraded on the live game for performance) they won't have to do any major redoing of assets to improve quality, in short, they are ready for years to come.
    And many people believe this game won’t be ready for years to come hence Roberts delaying the release to do (another) graphics overhaul.

you forget that Roberts tends to be influenced by anything he sees in other games and movies. So if a game announces some new graphics feature you can bet Roberts it gonna try to shoehorn it into his Frankenstein 
    NorseGod
    Babuinix said:
    A great (awfull) example of how open development being the ultimate instigator of kneejerk reactions.

This is funny and sad in a ironic kind of way considering that it's coming from a elite dangerous fanboy who'se community has for years been begging for more feedback from the company (frontrier) about what they are working for their game with no avail.

Now you know.

Last I checked this was the incredible video thread. @rpmcmurphy posted a video so they are actually on topic. And they added their opinion to the video which last I checked was allowed. 

rpmcmurphy
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2019
    I'd love to see the regular positive posters feature self made videos like streamers do.  This is getting to be like CNN reporting, IMO.
    rpmcmurphyNorseGodKefo

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

Now you know.

Last I checked this was the incredible video thread. @rpmcmurphy posted a video so they are actually on topic. And they added their opinion to the video which last I checked was allowed. 
    There's already a Development & Updates Thread where the ISC weekly videos are posted and discussed. > https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446842/star-citizen-development-updates/
    rpmcmurphy
    Babuinix said:

Now you know.

False flagging just because someone has an opinion you don't like sounds about right for you Babs.
    Attacking posters rather than dealing with the content of their posts, falsely labelling them so you can act all tribal and also play the victim.... you belong on tumblr mate :D

I'm such an elite fanboy that I haven't played the game for months, haven't posted in the elite thread for ages and ages nor do I post on their forums but carry on....

That mission level is absolute jank. It is such an embarrassment for a project almost in its 8th year with $300 million spent on it. Roberts said it was going to be right up there with the best shooters and well.... lol.
    Compare the animations, AI, sound and physics to other games like CP2077, TD2 etc and it looks absolutely bloody awful.

How can anyone be happy with this?
    Babuinix
    edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

And many people believe this game won’t be ready for years to come hence Roberts delaying the release to do (another) graphics overhaul.
    And many don't realize graphics have their own dedicated developer team here. Their job is a continuous improvement of visuals, that we can see. Graphics should not delay a game if gameplay/content is releasable, it's not an imposing aspect.

I do not expect anything crazy on that front to happen, MMO graphics are forcefully limited to the MP performance, just the complexity of assets weights on a server, such as ships here. Fact is, despite all the shiny graphics evolution over the years, network is same old limiting problem.
    Yes me suggesting you take yet another one of your trademark kneejerk overeactions based on wip work to the thread made for exactly that is such an attack lol..

If there's already a thread specificaly for posting and discussing the oficial video updates [https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446842/star-citizen-development-updates] I dont see the reason to polute this thread with that nonsense.

Yeah it's seems to have been a difficult year for elite fanboys in terms of updates and reasons to keep playing. Kinda also explains why more and more players are getting into Star Citizen :)
    rpmcmurphy
    edited November 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    Fact is, despite all the shiny graphics evolution over the years, network is same old limiting problem and there aren't prospects of any "fixes" for it, hence why the more common instanced setup these days.

Out of curiousity what happened to that networking project that CIG was a gold sponsor of? Do you remember the one I mean?

- Found it, Yojimbo was the name of the project

Kefo said:
    NorseGod said:
    Kefo said:
    Honestly, I would hope so. I wonder what else that would break. I'm not just thinking about FPS, clipping, etc. either. Might have to put every asset into "rework".
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Babuinix said:
    Yes me suggesting you take yet another one of your trademark kneejerk overeactions based on wip work to the thread made for exactly that is such an attack lol..

If there's already a thread specificaly for posting and discussing the oficial video updates [https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446842/star-citizen-development-updates] I dont see the reason to polute this thread with that nonsense.

Yeah it's seems to have been a difficult year for elite fanboys in terms of updates and reasons to keep playing. Kinda also explains why more and more players are getting into Star Citizen :)
    Not a kneejerk at all, it's just utter crap and plain as day to see.

Anyway who cares if you think it belongs in another thread or if you think it's all the elite fans coming to attack Star Citizen, none of that changes the fact that it is completely and utterly crap.

NorseGod
    MaxBacon said:
    Fact is, despite all the shiny graphics evolution over the years, network is same old limiting problem and there aren't prospects of any "fixes" for it, hence why the more common instanced setup these days.

Out of curiousity what happened to that networking project that CIG was a gold sponsor of? Do you remember the one I mean?
    The guy is a network vet still around now selling premium bandwidth to games.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/glennfiedler From the description he still maintains the open-source network libraries.
    rpmcmurphy
    edited November 2019
    NorseGod said:
    Might have to put every asset into "rework".
    Why exactly should assets that are already created on a higher quality that is intentionally downgraded when added to the game might have to be redone to improve the visual quality?
    MaxBacon said:
    NorseGod said:
    Why exactly should assets that are already created on a higher quality that is intentionally downgraded when added to the game might have to be redone to improve the visual quality?
    Haven’t they already done reworks? Or am I just thinking of ship reworks?
    edited November 2019
    Babuinix said:

Anyway who cares if you think it belongs in another thread or if you think it's all the elite fans coming to attack Star Citizen, none of that changes the fact that it is completely and utterly crap.

I didn't even know you played Elite Dangerous. Do you? And does playing other games forfeit our right to an opinion on different games? Or is this just an accusation from their script?

edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    NorseGod said:
    Haven’t they already done reworks? Or am I just thinking of ship reworks?
    There were many reworks especially those old original ship assets, but those reasons went much beyond graphics because it was the new game systems coming online and pieces of tech and even new standards/metrics in some cases.

That was when those workflows (pipelines) were still being created. Those standards since settled now ships are created in far great detail and quality such as textures, then downgraded to meet "performance budget". 

Once major performance undertakings such as full OCS, Vulkan, etc... hit, and as the hardware standard of the players of the game increases, it is to be expected they'll do stuff as upgrading the assets especially the resolution of textures, LOD detail, etc...
    NorseGod said:
    Babuinix said:

I didn't even know you played Elite Dangerous. Do you? And does playing other games forfeit our right to an opinion on different games? Or is this just an accusation from their script?

Yeah I play a bit here and there. Picked it up mid 2014 iirc and got SC around about the same time. 

I like to play for a month or so and then move on to something else, I'm not into getting bogged down on a single game anymore so I play a whole variety of stuff on my PS3, WiiU, Switch and PC.

It's that typical ad hominem isn't it, can't address the post so have to find something about the poster to "call into question".
    NorseGod
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited November 2019
    Here is some incredible video I can contribute to the incredible video thread:

It's SC in 2012. Back when they were also working on it. In 2012. Incredible!

As a point of comparison, Stars Wars, a New Hope, was made in 4 years. But that's totally different. Totally. 

Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests