Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Triple A should fund indie games developers

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited November 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Theirs a lot of good developers out their with great talent.  A lot of games are being developed that barely miss the mark.  Often their hold back is more funding. 

The key is they know how to do things cheaper, many have the best ideas too.  Their not bogged down by marketing and management dictating BAD IDEAS….. They don't shoot for the stars with graphics and suffer from small 30 days games because of it. 

Triple A's are failing because they think they know and worst they REFUSE to take the blame and suffer the consequences, instead they say theirs no market for the product (pride).

Programmers "without degrees" are often the best. This is true in my technical field, I'm sure video games are the same.  Our collage kid programmers suck.  As years go by they never get better. Talent and a collage diplomas are two different things all together. 

Triple A should look at games being developed instead of starting on the ground floor with their own crap ideas…… Pride gets in the way !

Example:

Saga of Lucimia by Stormhaven studios great game by the way, that's all I'll say…. Call them up and say we like what your doing… Hears a lot of money "make it better how you see fit". Then pay them well.

That's only one example..... you get the picture.

GdemamianemoPhaserlightVrika

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    What are are describing are investors. They often want things in return for their money.
    PhaserlightSovrathKyleran
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    What are are describing are investors. They often want things in return for their money.
    No a triple A company.  And sure everyone wants a return, it's what wakes you up and go to work every morning.
    GdemamiAlbatroes
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    It has been proven time and again that throwing money at a problem doesn't solve the problem.

That perfect game that you seek is akin to the holy grail... it exists in myth but not in reality... which is why you can't seem to find it and never will.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Can you go back to your click bait titles so I can better avoid your posts?  I had a feeling it was yours, but I was 100% sure.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    um A tittple A company ? this post makes no sense at all.  AAA producs are a thing, Trippple A Company's are not. 
    moshra
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I think this is what 99% of folks on this forum want to avoid, more large corporations making decisions for small studios. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    No a triple A company.  And sure everyone wants a return, it's what wakes you up and go to work every morning.
    companies invest too you know.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2019
    Tencent is way ahead of you. You'd be amazed if you knew just how many promising indie studios are 10% or more owned by them with a totally hands-off approach.

"... with over 300 investments in its portfolio, staying on top of every company that Tencent has a stake in can be a little daunting."

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/
    Gdemamidelete5230
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is partially lack of funding and partially not.

The problem as i see it is that no matter what devs are looking to sell the cheapest possible product they can get away with.

Just look at the Diablo series,it has arguably got worse,yet it doesn't matter because Blizzard markets it heavily and people are ready to buy it just watching advertising videos.

So if a dev has 100 million,they might only spend 5 million if they think they can pull it off in sales.
    The the secondary problem is that i do not believe studios are just barely missing the mark,i see a total failure that is missing almost ALL of the mark.I am not talking about spending millions more to pull off AAA,i am talking about having a clue,looking at your product design and asking yourself if you think you did a good job.

It still comes back to sales,if you can sell a crap product at AAA prices,why would you bother to try harder?SO there is the third problem,the market is full of really dumb consumers who just buy ANYTHING shoved in their face.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    How many indie MMOs and crowdfunded MMOs have failed? They don't have better devs and they can't do more for cheaper.

They will fill your particular niche better because they know that they can't go toe-to-toe against larger and better games and their only chance is to be different.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2019
    Time tables exist. Investors not only want something for their investment but also within a set time frame. Couple that with the indie groups needing to reimburse them somehow if they dont meet deadlines.

I dont think a lot of people realize that many of these indie groups are, in fact, approached but such a stipulation can be off-putting especially when you see how long some of these games have been in development for and what they've actually produced in that time.

The problem doesn't always come down to money but priorities as well (which I'll honestly say is the bigger thing). Just use Crowfall as an example. Alot of the 'cosmetic' stuff they've been adding to their game could've easily been put into the game in future updates, even world expansion. Many of these indies that are working on mmorpgs dont realize that you dont need an ENTIRE game first to launch, just enough of a game, since by definition, mmorpgs never end.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Paradox Interactive is another large publisher which regularly acquires, invest in, or work with many different indie studios.
    delete5230

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Paradox Interactive is another large publisher which regularly acquires, invest in, or work with many different indie studios.
    Well, they can't be helping much, the good ideas seem to be coming from two guys while the wife is watching the kids.... Who are these "huge" background companies helping anyway ?