Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For what it's worth: Faerthale Teaser Trailer

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Wait,  what, that was it? A slow zoom in on basically nothing of substance and then fade to black?

Oh I see, they were trying to provide an accurate representation of progress to date, check.

:D 
    I think it's a case of the developers "sort of" being out of touch with the players.

There's a lot of work there and it "looks" good. Or at least looks like they spent a lot of work on that area.

They want to show it off. They are proud of this work. 

Problem is that players, after this time, want more. It's very hard not to show people work that you think is good/great and you are excited to share it. But it seems like it's harder to know when and what one should be showing.

The trailer would have been fine if a 50 foot tall cyclops had come crashing into the area and everyone sprang into action to take it down....and fade to black.

I want to see my Paladin in action, smiting foes, racing to do battle with terrible tree people and a band of dwarves drinking in a tavern. 

I want to see videos of what my character will be doing, not just scenic panoramics he'll be viewing.

and I definitely don't want to watch discussions about boot design.

Case in point...

Devs didn't show what "Person" wanted to see, therefor "it's just not good enough", while again ignoring that pesky word "teaser" right in the video description.
    Yup... the problem with Pantheon is clearly Kyleran. If it weren’t for his nefarious posting the game would have been released already and have delivered all our dreams.  

Sigh

In 2018 the devs said that the game would be in playable alpha by the end of the year. It’s now the end of 2019 and that hasn’t happened.  Yet somehow you think the "would be players" are at fault for wanting more than a pathetic “teaser”...

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    GdemamijimmywolfKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Utinni said:
    Looks great aside from the crouch/ready animation. Need some "Class Spotlight" style videos showing what we can expect from the gameplay. Crazy to think its about to be 2020 and this is what we've got.
    All we had ever seen are test zones made for testing only.

It's almost 2020, wheres the beef ?
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

Yup... the problem with Pantheon is clearly Kyleran. If it weren’t for his nefarious posting the game would have been released already and have delivered all our dreams. 

Sigh

Yet somehow you think the "would be players" are at fault for wanting more than a pathetic “teaser”...

You know its always my fault for poking some fun and pointing out the obvious.

;)
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Wait,  what, that was it? A slow zoom in on basically nothing of substance and then fade to black?

Oh I see, they were trying to provide an accurate representation of progress to date, check.

It's almost like there's a ton of information and feedback available about Pantheon, from multiple sources! Crazy!

I don't want to "watch" videos of people "telling" me about the progress of the development, or read forums with tons of information about the game.

I want them to start showing what they've done in a clear and direct fashion and not just endless runs through the single demo dungeon I've seen.

I'll check out your videos but they better not be mostly all talk, I'm expecting to see some real action.

As for this particular comment,

"I'd call it willful ignorance, but I think it's better described as just plain old dishonesty. Maybe even trolling."

I think Ronnie Radke of Falling in Reverse best sums up my reply...(since we are sharing videos after all)

I'm just like you...   :D

Err, probably not safe for church. 

;)

Post edited by Kyleran on
    Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2019
    Posted in wrong spot... sorry
    svann
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Mendel said:

<snip>
    But, as per usual for you, Kyleran, I'm sure you knew all that even as you typed your comment. I'd call it willful ignorance, but I think it's better described as just plain old dishonesty. Maybe even trolling.
    <snip>
    May I suggest an alternative?  It seems more like sarcasm than ignorance, dishonesty or trolling.  Perhaps a bit of thought would be advised before lashing out at another poster.

I've seen almost all of the videos you have listed.  I'm not including that ordeal on my resume, and it was an ordeal to watch some of those.  I've still not seen any system that wasn't present in 1999 EQ1, despite all the various claims for new system functionality and features.  For those of us who are looking for something more than the "EQ1 with better graphics", the videos don't really give any indication of all these words and promises that were lauded by the developers.  Demonstrate, not talk about.  I think everyone is past the conceptual and idea stage.

First paragraph... agree to disagree, then. I've been reading their posts for a while now. There's a definite pattern of dishonesty in their posts.

Second paragraph.. Sounds to me like you might fall into the "they're not showing me what I want to see" category, as I described in a previous reply.

There's not a system they've shown that wasn't in EQ1? Completely disagree there. That's just factually wrong. 

All that said... Pantheon is going to be the game they want to make, based on their own vision and interpretation of what a "modern take on a EQ1-style MMO" should be. Everyone has their own personal idea what of what that will, or should, look like. And that's fine.

When it becomes problematic is when someone expects it to become exactly what they envision, as you seem to per your remarks. You seem to have locked in a specific interpretation of what Pantheon should be, and now you're trying to hold the devs to that specific idea. That's problematic, because it could well mean you're disappointed in the end product. And to be completely blunt, that'd be your problem, because no one ever promised you Pantheon would become the specific version you developed in your own head.

At the end of the day, it's going to be what it's going to be. Some people might find it exactly what they wanted. Others will find it not quite that, but close enough. Others are going to find it nowhere close and decide to write it off. Just like literally any other title out there. They can't make a game that satisfies everyone. Not even WoW, with its bajillions of players, managed that. Yet, for some reason, people keep expecting to find one that does. 

Though I'm maintaining an open mind about the project, and counting only on the things that I know (or at least have high confidence) won't change, I could easily end up in any one of those camps as much as anyone else. I might end up loving it. I might end up hating it. I'm backing it regardless because I think it will, at worst, become "not exactly what I was hoping for, but close enough". 

GdemamiMendelsvann
    edited November 2019

Case in point...

Devs didn't show what "Person" wanted to see, therefor "it's just not good enough", while again ignoring that pesky word "teaser" right in the video description.

Sigh

In 2018 the devs said that the game would be in playable alpha by the end of the year. It’s now the end of 2019 and that hasn’t happened.  Yet somehow you think the "would be players" are at fault for wanting more than a pathetic “teaser”...

I'm sorry, I don't recall ever saying Kyleran was responsible for the game's state? Are you hallucinating? Constructing strawmen, maybe?

I was pointing out to Kyleran that it's a *teaser* video, and a *teaser* means *a short snippet*, not a full length trailer showing what he wants to see. I thought I explained that pretty clearly. Not enough for some of the more willfully ignorant, I guess.

First off... a MMO in Development that didn't hit previously stated date? NO.... Say it isn't so! That's NEVER happened, to any other game in any other genre, EVER!

Lastly, there's been a lot more than a "pathetic teaser". But it seems you're going to be dishonest like Kyleran and pretend there hasn't been a mountain of information, video, images, interviews, articles, blogs, and so on... talking about and showing the state of the game, as recently as just a couple days ago (not including the teaser).

You - and Kyleran - are demonstrating precisely what I described in my previous post..  You're carrying on because VR isn't showing you what you want to see. As I've said before... that's your problem, not VR's. 
    Gdemami
    edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:

I don't want to "watch" videos of people "telling" me about the progress of the development, or read forums with tons of information about the game.

I want them to start showing what they've done in a clear and direct fashion and not just endless runs through the single demo dungeon I've seen.

I'll check out your videos but they better not be mostly all talk, I'm expecting to see some real action.

"I'd call it willful ignorance, but I think it's better described as just plain old dishonesty. Maybe even trolling."

"I want...", "I want..." Well, maybe no one ever told you this when you were growing up, but it's not all about what you want, Kyleran. Remember that Veruca Salt comment I made in a previous post? Yeah. Fits you well.

"they better not be..." - lol or what? You'll come here and scold me? Get over yourself.

As for you being just like me? Not even close.

I'm not whining and bitching like a brat on forums about a "teaser" clip - pretending not to know what a "teaser" is - because VR isn't showing me exactly what I want to see. That's all you, and a handful in your company, Kyleran.

Since you like quoting song lyrics, I'll return one in kind:
    "You can't always get what you want". - Rolling Stones

Gdemamidelete5230

Case in point...

Sigh

I'm sorry, I don't recall ever saying Kyleran was responsible for the game's state? Are you hallucinating? Constructing strawmen, maybe?

I was pointing out to Kyleran that it's a *teaser* video, and a *teaser* means *a short snippet*, not a full length trailer showing what he wants to see. I thought I explained that pretty clearly. Not enough for some of the more willfully ignorant, I guess.

First off... a MMO in Development that didn't hit previously stated date? NO.... Say it isn't so! That's NEVER happened, to any other game in any other genre, EVER!

Lastly, there's been a lot more than a "pathetic teaser". But it seems you're going to be dishonest like Kyleran and pretend there hasn't been a mountain of information, video, images, interviews, articles, blogs, and so on... talking about and showing the state of the game, as recently as just a couple days ago (not including the teaser).

You - and Kyleran - are demonstrating precisely what I described in my previous post..  You're carrying on because VR isn't showing you what you want to see. As I've said before... that's your problem, not VR's. 
    Here is where you are wrong: Kyleran was talking about the teaser.  You decided to make the conversation about Kyleran (and then me for some reason).  

I could certainly go further detail, but I think that should be simple and clear enough for you to understand.

The root cause of frustration is not Kyleran or anyone else posting about a teaser or anything else.  The root cause is that the developers are showing this "teaser" after all this time.  We have been getting "teased" since January 2014.   It's about to turn 6 years old.  So you can excuse it all you want, you can try to make the conversation about other posters... none of that will change the FACT that the game is years behind schedule and the frustration is real.

Gdemami[Deleted User]Mendel

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

WoW, a fight and I'm not involved   :D
    Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:

<snip>
    But, as per usual for you, Kyleran, I'm sure you knew all that even as you typed your comment. I'd call it willful ignorance, but I think it's better described as just plain old dishonesty. Maybe even trolling.
    <snip>
    May I suggest an alternative?  It seems more like sarcasm than ignorance, dishonesty or trolling.  Perhaps a bit of thought would be advised before lashing out at another poster.

I've seen almost all of the videos you have listed.  I'm not including that ordeal on my resume, and it was an ordeal to watch some of those.  I've still not seen any system that wasn't present in 1999 EQ1, despite all the various claims for new system functionality and features.  For those of us who are looking for something more than the "EQ1 with better graphics", the videos don't really give any indication of all these words and promises that were lauded by the developers.  Demonstrate, not talk about.  I think everyone is past the conceptual and idea stage.

First paragraph... agree to disagree, then. I've been reading their posts for a while now. There's a definite pattern of dishonesty in their posts.

Second paragraph.. Sounds to me like you might fall into the "they're not showing me what I want to see" category, as I described in a previous reply.

There's not a system they've shown that wasn't in EQ1? Completely disagree there. That's just factually wrong. 

All that said... Pantheon is going to be the game they want to make, based on their own vision and interpretation of what a "modern take on a EQ1-style MMO" should be. Everyone has their own personal idea what of what that will, or should, look like. And that's fine.

When it becomes problematic is when someone expects it to become exactly what they envision, as you seem to per your remarks. You seem to have locked in a specific interpretation of what Pantheon should be, and now you're trying to hold the devs to that specific idea. That's problematic, because it could well mean you're disappointed in the end product. And to be completely blunt, that'd be your problem, because no one ever promised you Pantheon would become the specific version you developed in your own head.

At the end of the day, it's going to be what it's going to be. Some people might find it exactly what they wanted. Others will find it not quite that, but close enough. Others are going to find it nowhere close and decide to write it off. Just like literally any other title out there. They can't make a game that satisfies everyone. Not even WoW, with its bajillions of players, managed that. Yet, for some reason, people keep expecting to find one that does. 

Though I'm maintaining an open mind about the project, and counting only on the things that I know (or at least have high confidence) won't change, I could easily end up in any one of those camps as much as anyone else. I might end up loving it. I might end up hating it. I'm backing it regardless because I think it will, at worst, become "not exactly what I was hoping for, but close enough". 

I don't exactly how either Slap, Kyle or myself have ever been dishonest.  What has been shown is far different that the words used to describe it, and the game is behind every schedule they have claimed.  If you have a reason that these stances are nonfactual, I think we'd be happy to investigate them and it would further the discussion.

I know my own preferences aren't always popular.  I am aware that Pantheon is not going to be a game that I will play for any duration.  I am drawn to the marginal (my opinion) changes in the mechanics of an MMORPG that Pantheon promised.  Elements like Perception and Environment.  These elements haven't really been demonstrated yet, and the preliminary efforts that have been shown appeared to be just semantically different from existing mechanisms.

Opinion is neither right nor wrong.  It feels if a lot of people are confusing "opinion" with "disagreement", which ties into a long-held belief (another form of opinion) that people don't really understand the principles of discussion.  I know my opinions are based on my own observations, as the observations change, my opinion changes.  Feel free to agree or disagree as you choose.

KyleranGdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:

"I want...", "I want..." Well, maybe no one ever told you this when you were growing up, but it's not all about what you want, Kyleran. Remember that Veruca Salt comment I made in a previous post? Yeah. Fits you well.

"they better not be..." - lol or what? You'll come here and scold me? Get over yourself.

As for you being just like me? Not even close.

I'm not whining and bitching like a brat on forums about a "teaser" clip - pretending not to know what a "teaser" is - because VR isn't showing me exactly what I want to see. That's all you, and a handful in your company, Kyleran.

Since you like quoting song lyrics, I'll return one in kind:
    "You can't always get what you want". - Rolling Stones

It is always about what I want, it would be irrational and illogical for me to be concerned about anyone else.

I suggest you educate yourself on the principles of rational selfishness before continuing to cast further aspersions on my character.
    1. Man — every man — is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
    https://www.summit.org/resources/articles/the-ethics-of-ayn-rand/

Life isn't always about what one reads in children's novels. 

Put another way...Veruca wasn't wrong and altruism is for suckers.

B) 

[Deleted User]

• VicusEQVicusEQ Member UncommonPosts: 103
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MbaiykerIrjKWRA6407tQ/videos

Here, about 24 hours worth of videos.  The teaser trailer was intended for the people who have been following the game because they will be doing another live stream this week where they will discuss the teaser.  It's that simple.  
    Teaser trailers, round tables and the rest of this side show stuff is all fluff and means nothing.

Show me the game !!
    Rich84Slapshot1188Mendel
    Teaser trailers, round tables and the rest of this side show stuff is all fluff and means nothing.

Show me the game !!
    See, @delete5230 knows and understands.

Kyleran said:

Show me the game !!
    See, @delete5230 knows and understands.

True, but I don't care about fluff.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am hoping for some kind of tree city. This doesn't seem to be that. But it could still be in there somewheres.
    KyleranMendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    I am hoping for some kind of tree city. This doesn't seem to be that. But it could still be in there somewheres.
    Duels in Kelethin were interesting.  Lots less running in a circle as with most PvP.  Too bad the lackluster combat system reduced even these exercises to tedium.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Duels in Kelethin were interesting.  Lots less running in a circle as with most PvP.  Too bad the lackluster combat system reduced even these exercises to tedium.

Kelethin was so much fun. Like casting SoW on some noob running around a corner, where the extra speed sends them off the catwalk and spiraling to their death. Good times, good times.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    That trailer was intensely bad. It was so bad, it actually made me angry, which I guess isn't the effect they were going for.
    What I see in the "teaser"

a very powerful game engine. 
    Looking forward to see more. I've been officially "teased" 

It's using Unity
    Gdemami

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115

It's using Unity
    It’s heavily modified, in fact VR are working closely with Unity engineers to make Pantheon Engine their own.

Mcquaid said that the first few years they worked only on customising the Engine.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    TEKK3N said:

It's using Unity
    It’s heavily modified, in fact VR are working closely with Unity engineers to make Pantheon Engine their own.

Mcquaid said that the first few years they worked only on customising the Engine.

Hmmm I remember something similar when SWTOR was being made with Hero Engine, and we all know how that turned out.
    Gdemamielockebcbully
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

TEKK3N said:

It's using Unity

Interesting... as from the FAQ it indicates they chose the engine because it would NOT require a lot of "tweaking and modifying":

18.0 Why did you choose to use the Unity engine for Pantheon?

There were a lot of reasons we chose Unity, and they all had to do with the positives of the engine, not necessarily the negatives of others. Much of the decision came down to the fact that it is an engine that enabled us to get to work quickly without requiring an expensive and large team. Unity has also allowed us to rapidly develop the game itself and will also enable us to deploy to multiple platforms with minimal effort. Unity is truly a ‘game engine’ and not just a ‘graphics engine’. It also supports the use of higher level languages like C# and the easy inclusion of a variety of plug-ins. These features and more allow the Pantheon development team to focus on making a game first and not an engine. We are a lean, mean team and we want to spend the majority of our time making the game itself, not tweaking and modifying the core of a graphics engine or having to also build a broad suite of tools or add-ons.

KyleranGdemamibcbullyAmathe

TEKK3N said:

It's using Unity

Interesting... as from the FAQ it indicates they chose the engine because it would NOT require a lot of "tweaking and modifying":

18.0 Why did you choose to use the Unity engine for Pantheon?

There were a lot of reasons we chose Unity, and they all had to do with the positives of the engine, not necessarily the negatives of others. Much of the decision came down to the fact that it is an engine that enabled us to get to work quickly without requiring an expensive and large team. Unity has also allowed us to rapidly develop the game itself and will also enable us to deploy to multiple platforms with minimal effort. Unity is truly a ‘game engine’ and not just a ‘graphics engine’. It also supports the use of higher level languages like C# and the easy inclusion of a variety of plug-ins. These features and more allow the Pantheon development team to focus on making a game first and not an engine. We are a lean, mean team and we want to spend the majority of our time making the game itself, not tweaking and modifying the core of a graphics engine or having to also build a broad suite of tools or add-ons.

Isn't it a bit embarrassing at times how easy it is to call out "misconceptions" backers have about their favorite indie games using only the Dev team's own published words as evidence?

GdemamiAmatheSovrath