Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW Classic - Not 4.5 million

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    IceAge said:
    Gdemami said:
    IceAge said:
    WoW along brought almost $300 mil this quarter
    ...out of curiosity, where do you get that number from?
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/353605/CoD_and_WoW_push_Activision_Blizzard_to_betterthanexpected_Q3.php
    Here's the most important figure from that summary...perhaps a foretelling of Blizzard's future? These are some serious numbers....

"King, meanwhile, saw over 247 million monthly active users for the quarter, and continues to leverage its Candy Crush franchise on mobile. Revenue at King came in at $500 million for the quarter, roughly flat year-over-year."
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited November 2019
    Gdemami said:
    IceAge said:
    Gdemami said:
    IceAge said:
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/353605/CoD_and_WoW_push_Activision_Blizzard_to_betterthanexpected_Q3.php

Seems to me gamasutra messed up the numbers there...
    If you are going to say that, at least come and say why. "Oh not true, because....because...i see it that way."

Edit: Activision made $200 mil this quarter and $500 mil King. So Blizzard made $500 mil from which $300 mil WoW ( including Classic ) , for a total of $1.2 billion for Acti-Blizz. 

Kyleran said:
    IceAge said:
    Gdemami said:
    IceAge said:
    Here's the most important figure from that summary...perhaps a foretelling of Blizzard's future? These are some serious numbers....

"King, meanwhile, saw over 247 million monthly active users for the quarter, and continues to leverage its Candy Crush franchise on mobile. Revenue at King came in at $500 million for the quarter, roughly flat year-over-year."
    Wait, we are discussing if WoW has/had 4.5 mil subs or not. I asked you to tell me, how did WoW saw this increase in revenues in comparation with Q2 of 2019 if not because of Classic. You failed ( at least until now ), to come up with a valid or at least a decent explanation. 2.5 mil subs would account around $40 mil. Let's say .. $70 mil if half of 2.5 mil paid for 3 months in advance ( which is debatable ). And yet, still doesn't come close to $300 mil WoW made this quarter. Double that $70 mil ( around 4.5-5 mil subs ) , and things starts to make sense. 

Around $150 mil Classic and $150 mil Retail , well .. it sounds a lot better then your ..."theory". 
    GdemamiKyleran

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can't read all the posts but it appears that most understand what is likely going on.There is another angle and that is the numbers posted can be manipulated into different quarters depending what quarter they want to beef up.
    What matters to me is the game,i don't get why so many Wow articles always aim at the numbers instead of the game?It is like everyone is telling us that the game is not worth talking about,so we talk about numbers.That to me makes a lot of sense,the game is not that good but numbers don' mean anything either unless you think TFUE is worth millions because he is a special person better than the rest of us?

There is sooo much sheer luck in this world,numbers often don't mean a damn thing.

I should also add that numbers,again something i couldn't care less about but those numbers can simply be the SAME people playing BOTH classic and the main game,i highly  doubt Blizzard has separated the numbers,they have better things to do.

If you want to discuss QUALITY of gaming then let's talk about NO housing,no sailing/ships,what is exactly is Wow trying to portray that lends it to be a quality<<<keyword QUALITY mmorpg?Does making instances make it a quality game?Does ruining immersion make it a quality game?

Yeah exactly,we SHOULD be talking about quality and making our games better and NOT meaningless numbers.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I'd say a good number of players treated classic like an expac, subbed for a month to taste the cool aid or suck in some past adventure, then cleared off again. I know we had about 20ish guildies do that (inc. my wife and daughter).
    Personally, I lasted about 3 weeks before my brain went "why? you've did all this crap 9 times the 1st time round - and it was pretty awfulthat time too! Mob tagging... whats is this 1980?)  ;) 
    [Deleted User]

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kyleran said:
    IceAge said:
    2 or 2.5 mil players for Classic is far less if we take into consideration that WoW along brought almost $300 mil this quarter. Yes, down YoY because BfA sold 3.4 mil copies at a far higher price then a Classic subscription. 

From that $300 mil , no way in hell Classic would bring only..$30-37.5 mil if your .. 2/2.5 mil * $15 / month sub is correct. 

Comments such as

"
    That’s thanks to WoW Classic, which the company says “drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East.”

&

The company had a big launch of World of Warcraft Classic during the quarter, and that helped drive the audience much higher in both Asia and the West, the company said.

..would be useless, unless you believe in conspiracy theories that they made such comments to make people believe Classic is a success. 

If you still think that Classic only had 2 or 2.5 mil subs at his highest peak, then it seems you believe that WoW alone ( without Classic ) is bringing $1 billion ( $250 mil x 4 quarters ) in revenue each year for Blizzard, which .. that's impossible since many years ago. 

Q2 2019 Blizzard Revenues were around $380 mil . That includes all their games. 

Now, tell me again, how World of Warcraft alone have come up with almost $300 mil this quarter.

I'm not sure I'm taking your point.

If you are saying the revenues generated are too low vs the guesstimated 2.5M figure I think others pointed out it is possible to play Classic for free on their existing retail sub acct as well as spend accumulated in game gold (coins?) so neither would increase revenues,  just push up the MAU counts. (Maybe)
    Spending gold to buy a sub time actually makes Blizzard more money because someone has to pay $20 for you to then use game gold.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2019
    IceAge said:
    If you are going to say that, at least come and say why.
    ..erm no, that isn't how the game is played.

You started throwing some numbers around and I asked for source.

You linked gamasutra article that mention that number but provide no source where they got that number from.

Burden of proof is on your shoulders and you are using a number that does not cone from reliable source.

So if you are gonna throw that figure around more, at least come and say where gamasutra got it from.

edit:
    Regardless, it just seems you misunderstand the writing of gamasutra article:

"Over at Blizzard, World of Warcraft Classic has, since its August release, drove the largest quarterly increase in World of Warcraft subscriptions in the franchise’s 15 year lifetime.The segment alone brought in $294 million in revenue, down year-over-year compared to Q3 2018 which saw the launch of a World of Warcraft expansion. "

That figure goes to Blizzard, not WoW and it still seems to be wrong tho.

If I read the financials correctly, the Blizzard segment income for Q3 2019 was 394m(typo by gamasutra?), 241m yoy Q3 2018 decrease.

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/activision-blizzard-announces-third-quarter-2019-financial
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    Kyleran[Deleted User]kitarad
  • SeidrSeidr Member UncommonPosts: 18
    IceAge said:
    Utinni said:
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:
    So people are still guessing at what the sub number is. Who really cares?
    Do you really not grasp the concept of a game discussion forum?

People who don't care probably wouldn't respond either I'm thinking.

:D 
    You just keep trying to tell people classic isnt as popular as someone said. It's a weird obsession.
    He's even wrong. Classic IS a massive success. 

Based on the $300 mil WoW ( together ) have bring this quarter, I am more inclined to believe that the subs for Classic alone are ( or have been ) higher then 5 mil .
    IceAge said:
    DMKano said:

That 4mil+ number was obviously way off because there would be a ton more servers stood up to handle that many players 
    There were servers handling more then 20k players at a given time PLUS the insane thousands of other people waiting in que. Yes, that's only on 1 server. 

We know you have that lovely crystal ball, but .. wash a bit. Seems he gives you some..errors "lately". :)
    Emotions are clouding your judgment.
    According to your statement:
    4 million divided by (20k + what 100k? queue) = 33.3 servers at this state.
    Never happened.
    5 million -"- = 41.6 -"-
    etc...
    Math isn't your thing, is it? Classic alone you say? That number is closer to all WoW subscriptions put together rather than "Classic alone".
    Kyleran
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I subbed for a bit, but quickly unsubbed. I thought I could get that feeling back, but it wasn't to be.  I don't know the overall numbers, but I can only speak anecdotally, with what I saw on my server.  It was comfortably populated, but I wouldn't call it crowded by any stretch.  However, it was enough that you would have a steady pool of people to play with.

I self identify as a monkey.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Seidr said:

Emotions are clouding your judgment.
    According to your statement:
    4 million divided by (20k + what 100k? queue) = 33.3 servers at this state.
    Never happened.
    5 million -"- = 41.6 -"-
    etc...
    Math isn't your thing, is it? Classic alone you say? That number is closer to all WoW subscriptions put together rather than "Classic alone".
    Emotions? It seems you have no idea what i'm talking about and you, same as Kano, believe that concurrent users = all users . Please educate yourself about what concurrent users vs all users is all about. Here, no worries, I am going to do that for you :

Concurrent users refers to the total number of players simultaneously accessing the server.

For you to understand, that 20k+ques, where in no way shape of form, the total number of users which that server has. Not everyone logs in at the same time. 

We good? Great..

Now, about servers:

1 server = multiple layers ( do you know what layers are to begin with? google it if not ) = 20k ( more or less ) players at the same time logged in. Now, if you didn't follow the News in the first weeks, there were servers ( most of them ) which had thousands ( not a hundred thousands ) ques. 

Sure, not every servers had this "problem" , but most of them surely had it.

Now, that 20k was made purely for 3 layers per server, which .. I'm not really sure about that and the number of layers could of been way higher for some servers. 

So my "math" is .. not 100% accurate, I give you that, but way better then yours.

Gdemami[Deleted User]kitarad

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2019
    IceAge said:
    So my "math" is .. not 100% accurate, I give you that, but way better then yours.
    ...so the argument now is "who is more wrong?"
    Kylerankitarad
    Gdemami said:
    IceAge said:
    ...so the argument now is "who is more wrong?"
    Well me of course,  usually.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2019
    Not sure what you guys are talking about.  I've been playing Classic since August and our server is packed.  LFG channel is non-stop, Barrens is...Barrens.   I'm Horde and we're only 30% of the population on our server, but every city is jammed with players.  You might not like the game, all good.  I can't stand most mmo's, but I like this one and ALOT of other people do too...regardless of the numbers.  

Last time I thought about Retail WoW was in August...
    Welcome to the forums, keep coming back!

Here's some additional evidence from MOP supporting the notion current Classic subs aren't anywhere near 4.5 M and continue to decline as many expected.

"as layering has been completely removed from all servers as of today, November 12th. Between the declines in population from the launch rush and the general dispersal of players, there is now only one layer on every server, so the population can exist in a full supercollider once again."

https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/12/world-of-warcraft-classic-has-all-servers-down-to-one-layer-now/