Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do DC movies still have a future?

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited September 2018 in Off-Topic Discussion
Ben Affleck quits as Batman, Warner Brothers replacing Henry Cavill as Superman for a younger version to use in their Supergirl movie wth WB.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/henry-cavill-reportedly-superman-stunning-dc-movie-universe-shake-153950312.html
Post edited by Asheram on

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited September 2018
    Ben Affleck wasn't a good Batman. The problem with DC is that they don't have a universe outside of Batman and Superman. They need to expand their franchise through things like an exciting Aquaman and Wonderwoman.
    Asheram
  • ScaryFace315ScaryFace315 Member CommonPosts: 1
    What sucks is they have a solid universe on Netflix, but chose to exclude that from the movie universe. I personally think that hurts them more than anything.
    Asheram
  • BernordBernord Member CommonPosts: 6
    If they stopped releasing that many movies, the series wouldn't feel as if they are trying to suck the last money out of the fantasy genre fans. 

I think one movie every couple years, even if it means less storyline about some of the heroes, except when they clash with each other in one movie, would really ramp up the hype. 
    Asheram
  • Lotuss5Lotuss5 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Regardless if they have a future or not, the Marvel movies will always be much better than the ones from DC, since they have much better characters.
    Asheram
  • BernordBernord Member CommonPosts: 6
    DC characters rely too much on their costumes, they feel like simple humans with costumes for the most part :dizzy:
    Marvel gives plenty of real mutants, deformations, unearthly characters, they will always be better 
    Asheram
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    They need to keep Ben Affleck away from superhero movies.  He was a terrible Batman and an even worse Daredevil.
    Asheram

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ChalpieChalpie Member CommonPosts: 6
    I don't know, when you look at Marvel heroes, they have something to offer, they have something "mystical" behind them. At least you are curious to see their motives, how did they become that, or they were born that...  DC heroes reveal themselves with stereotypes. They look like they would sound in my opinion XD 
    Asheram
  • nupalauknupalauk Member CommonPosts: 7
    Chalpie said:
    I don't know, when you look at Marvel heroes, they have something to offer, they have something "mystical" behind them. At least you are curious to see their motives, how did they become that, or they were born that...  DC heroes reveal themselves with stereotypes. They look like they would sound in my opinion XD 
    lol, I think the same. Of course it's like battle of opinions against iOS and Android - Marvel vs DC. But I have always liked Marvel more because they have more interesting, modern heroes. DC heroes sometimes look sooo old-school.
    Asheram
  • thaliadanielsthaliadaniels Member CommonPosts: 7
    I think DC will emerge after 5 years. :)
    Asheram
  • ManuelThomasManuelThomas Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    It's really interesting. I'm a blogger and I write about it. Yes DC have a lot of fans, but they last films was not so good. Also we discussed it with my sister. I wrote a simple text on my blog to discuss it with different people. 
  • shanewillshanewill Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Only Batman is what I like about DC. The marvel movies are way ahead of DC because of it's the amazing cinematic universe. The way they are introducing new superheroes is amazing. The Marvel and DC movies & TV series are available online. You can easily see the difference.
    Post edited by shanewill on
  • ScottRQScottRQ Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    edited July 2019
    I even want to see a new chapter of Avengers, hah.
    Asheram
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    They have so much they can tap into but they always seem to fall back on Batman and Superman.  Reboot after reboot.

The Wonder Woman and Shazam movies were a recent breath of fresh air, wasn't too keen on Aquaman though.  

I personally would like to see DC Movies on Martian Manhunter and Green Arrow and a better Green Lantern.  Also wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of John Constantine.
    Asheram
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Flem said:
    They have so much they can tap into but they always seem to fall back on Batman and Superman.  Reboot after reboot.

The Wonder Woman and Shazam movies were a recent breath of fresh air, wasn't too keen on Aquaman though.  

I personally would like to see DC Movies on Martian Manhunter and Green Arrow and a better Green Lantern.  Also wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of John Constantine.
    I actually liked Aquaman, definately alot better than Justice League.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Asheram said:
    Flem said:

I actually liked Aquaman, definately alot better than Justice League.
    I agree. Aquaman was an awesome movie and I look forward to the sequel.
    Asheram

• YakusomiDYakusomiD Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I wish they had! Because I am in love with comics since I was a child. Anyway, they will unlickely beat Marvel ever :disappointed:
    I used so many characters from comics for my essays when I was in schoold :DD 
    By the way, there is a great service that would help anyone who has problems with expressing his thought or just dont have enough time to write essays or any kind of paper work - http://essaylab.co.uk/ Check it out.
    Marvel forever!
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    So, I'm not a superhero guy.

When I was a kid, I used to read a lot. I was introduced to the Hobbit at age 5, for example. What this meant is that by the time I was introduced to comic books, I had already read some good fantasy books and so comics, by comparison, just seemed lame. I never developed any attachment to comic books and their universes, unless they were made into a cartoon!

So, from my (outside) point of view, as a male adult, the DC universe seems to offer a lot more.

The Marvel universe seems like it's made for children. It's bright and colourful with clear good guys and bad guys - simple, basic. It also suffers from ridiculous escalation. The first few movies were comparatively down to earth, involving "real" people with "real" problems that we could relate to. Sure, they had special abilities, but they weren't ridiculous and nor were their enemies.

But look at the current crop of movies. The heroes are mostly so far removed from us as to be entirely unrelatable. The enemies have reached the point where they can literally destroy the universe. How can we match up to that?! How can we relate?! Honestly, we can't, which is why they rely more and more on the visuals and less on the storytelling.

Now DC.....

To me, this has always come across as more relatable, more down to earth and, importantly, more adult. The Batman trilogy was 10x better than any Marvel film in my opinion. So many ethical problems and shades of grey, it keeps them interesting and more realistic, whilst still leaving enough room for great graphics and awesome fights. It also doesn't seem to suffer from escalation too much either - batmans problems tend to just be "different", rather than "bigger".

That should be what DC focuses on - a more mature theme, with more relatable characters and storylines.

However, they seem to be trying to compete directly with Marvel, aiming for that teen market but never quite finding it. For example, Aquaman could have been an amazing film. It's an interesting character (with a bad rep). They could have made it like Batman Begins - showing how he made contact with humans and turned into a good guy. It could have been mostly land-based so we could relate to it with the occasional water scene/powers to remind us he's a superhero. Instead, it was a CGI film mostly underwater with nothing we could relate to. visually stimulating, but the rest of our brain's were left asleep.

Now, if DC does change tack and focus on what they're good at (and what is different to marvel), then they'll keep having a place in cinema. They won't reach the heights of Marvel, but they certainly won't hit those heights by directly competing with them anyway.
    Asheram
  • RexydRexyd Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    To be honest a good superman is missing
  • brigadafilabrigadafila Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    A lot of cv writers london think that DC Comics have no future because their business model is so rare, but maybe if they change it, they will get a sucess on the market.

• lorrielsimslorrielsims Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    DC announces new animated movies all the time, so one assumes this slate will expland sooner rather than later. Check us out