Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is going on with Ashes

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Nanfoodle said:
    Wedlen said:
    This is why i never back games with kickstarter etc etc. There are thousands of games in design ith early access and crow funding etc. 99.9% of them will never come of anything. This was never the case years ago.I feel like these are mostly just scams. People saying we can get easy money and a job and if it doesnt work out them oh well we had a job for xx amount of years while attempting to make a game. I dont trust indie companies. Never will. This game will be a flop. Sad. WE need a BIG PUBLISHER, WoW  beating, Western MMO that isnt P2W at all.
    BIG PUBLISHERS are taken what made MMOs great and turned them into some odd hybrid of MMO/MOBA kind of game. They have been cranking them out for so long, MMOs have become throw away games. MMOs started out as game changes by small studios coming up with someone new. Was when corp got their fingers into it, repackaged it, streamlined it and follow every trend they thought could make them money. Thats why many  MMOers  are still playing MMOs from 10-20 years ago and dropping everything new. Small studios do have a real chance at winning back this lost market. 
    I agree, but in miniature what happened in MMORPG history is happening again in the crowd funded MMOs. CoE, AoC and SC are trying to widen their player base at any cost which was why MMOs historically shifted their gameplay to such a huge extent to reach where we are today.

I too looked to CF MMOs to offer innovation and something of a hybrid in gameplay between the old and the new. This may still happen but we see the same mistakes being repeated, Crowfall and Pantheon seem to be sticking to their original remit, but until they launch who knows how this will pan out?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Wedlen said:
    This is why i never back games with kickstarter etc etc. There are thousands of games in design ith early access and crow funding etc. 99.9% of them will never come of anything. This was never the case years ago.I feel like these are mostly just scams. People saying we can get easy money and a job and if it doesnt work out them oh well we had a job for xx amount of years while attempting to make a game. I dont trust indie companies. Never will. This game will be a flop. Sad. WE need a BIG PUBLISHER, WoW  beating, Western MMO that isnt P2W at all.
    BIG PUBLISHERS are taken what made MMOs great and turned them into some odd hybrid of MMO/MOBA kind of game. They have been cranking them out for so long, MMOs have become throw away games. MMOs started out as game changes by small studios coming up with someone new. Was when corp got their fingers into it, repackaged it, streamlined it and follow every trend they thought could make them money. Thats why many  MMOers  are still playing MMOs from 10-20 years ago and dropping everything new. Small studios do have a real chance at winning back this lost market. 
    I agree, but in miniature what happened in MMORPG history is happening again in the crowd funded MMOs. CoE, AoC and SC are trying to widen their player base at any cost which was why MMOs historically shifted their gameplay to such a huge extent to reach where we are today.

I too looked to CF MMOs to offer innovation and something of a hybrid in gameplay between the old and the new. This may still happen but we see the same mistakes being repeated, Crowfall and Pantheon seem to be sticking to their original remit, but until they launch who knows how this will pan out?
    I would include CU in your short list,  MJs vision hasn't much wavered despite the 6 plus years (and counting) it's been in development. 

(Never resist a chance to take a cheap sho.....err offer constructive criticism.)
    JamesGoblinScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited November 2019
    It's a money scam just like Star Citizen that's what's going on
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2019
    Scot said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Wedlen said:

It's the 101 crowdfunded MMO, when reality sinks and the fact it needs more time and more money kicks in, then obviously they can't show any big progress.

There is always the peak of the shiny things that are concept and prototyped, and then there is the silent things, that are actually when all those things are being developed.

This will haunt any MMO title around that attempts a level of polish or content of a standard MMO, because the best case scenario as far dev goes never happens
    Kylerantweedledumb99