Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Anthem Lead Leaves BioWare, Says Anthem Is “In Good Hands” - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAnother Anthem Lead Leaves BioWare, Says Anthem Is “In Good Hands” - MMORPG.com

BioWare has lost another Anthem lead, Chad Robertson, who is leaving the company after 14 years.

Read the full story here

NorseGod

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Didn't we hear that exact same thing by someone who left a few months before it launched?
    NorseGodHatefullDryxalinebarasawaJeroKaneRellz
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    RoinXarkoSabracbarasawaRich84JeroKaneLife2vRellz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Love seeing EA fail. Love. It.

aleosvelimiriusRich84JeroKaneLife2vRellz
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2019
    Since the last Mass Effect game mess, was still expecting Bioware to get Anthem well but even that is derp.

It's not EA failing, it's the actual studios that created and maintained amazing PC IPs over the last years, EA will as always make their many billions in some way, if not on this games, it'll be the Sports & mobile titles.
    bcbullyAzaron_Nightblade
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited November 2019
    You don't leave something you have put 14 years of your life into without good reason. No mention of where he is going to maybe some one knows what happened to Mark Darrah, Mike Gamble, Ben Irving and Jon Warner as well? Are they hung up like coats in the wardrobe of an executive in EA in case they are needed for a rainy day? :)
    Dont worry guys, the next Dragon Age is "in good hands" as well...
    RoinVexiusxvelimiriusRich84JeroKaneScotRellzHiromant[Deleted User]
    Albatroes said:
    Dont worry guys, the next Dragon Age is "in good hands" as well...

VexiusxAlbatroesRoinDryxalinebarasawavelimiriusRich84JeroKaneRellz[Deleted User]and 2 others.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

MaxBacon said:

Since the last Mass Effect game mess, was still expecting Bioware to get Anthem well but even that is derp.

It's not EA failing, it's the actual studios that created and maintained amazing PC IPs over the last years, EA will as always make their many billions in some way, if not on this games, it'll be the Sports & mobile titles.

over the last years ?, they haven't made anything good since 2012 .. and since then they have had three cancellations
    Life2vRellz
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

DMKano said:

Lol

Just like ArcheAge is in good hands lol

GAMIGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited November 2019
    jgDuffay said:

MaxBacon said:

over the last years ?, they haven't made anything good since 2012 .. and since then they have had three cancellations
    yeah that's when EA claws get in, this was the same with The Sims / Simcity and Maxis, things were once smooth. The main company continues doing their own thing, the studios decay until shutdown, and several IPs go into the darkness, is madness
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • gastovski1gastovski1 Member UncommonPosts: 99

MaxBacon said:

not if serious or trolling. bioware didnt make any good game since me3.
    RenoakuLife2v
  • DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Maybe out with the old and in with the new is a good thing? I mean if you don't like Anthem surely you don't want the people who made it to try to correct it?
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

MaxBacon said:

ME3 was the last Good Game Andromeda was trash, and infected with Denuvo even though it was removed from what I hear the damage was done didn't buy the game not buying the game after seeing the spoilers.

Not sure WTF Anthem is but like 3 weeks after my Clan gave it hope it was pretty much dropped as a title :\ maybe less than 3 weeks.

Like I played BETA it was horrid.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    edited November 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    jgDuffay said:

MaxBacon said:

yeah that's when EA claws get in, this was the same with The Sims and Maxis, things were once smooth.

The main company continues doing their own thing, the studios decay until shutdown, and several IPs go into the darkness, is madness

Thats some Grade A conspiracy theorism there, EA bought bioware in 2007 thats 5 years earlier than their last good game.

At some point people need to stop blaming the publishers are put the responsibility back onto the developers.

For example with anthem a huge article was released with interviews from current and previous developers saying the work culture at bioware is kind of a mess, no real leadership or direction, no decisions really being made, lots of things getting left to the last minute.

EA was super patient with bioware for Anthem, gave them over 6 years and a lot of money ot deliver and then diverted teams from other studios to them after they had to delay the launch.

everyone likes to blame publishers when they see their favorite studios fail, but at some point you have to see that the blame is often on them too... mismanagement and lack of vision.
    PirrayaBakgrind
    mbrodie said:
    MaxBacon said:
    jgDuffay said:

MaxBacon said:

yeah that's when EA claws get in, this was the same with The Sims and Maxis, things were once smooth.

The main company continues doing their own thing, the studios decay until shutdown, and several IPs go into the darkness, is madness

Thats some Grade A conspiracy theorism there, EA bought bioware in 2007 thats 5 years earlier than their last good game.

At some point people need to stop blaming the publishers are put the responsibility back onto the developers.

For example with anthem a huge article was released with interviews from current and previous developers saying the work culture at bioware is kind of a mess, no real leadership or direction, no decisions really being made, lots of things getting left to the last minute.

EA was super patient with bioware for Anthem, gave them over 6 years and a lot of money ot deliver and then diverted teams from other studios to them after they had to delay the launch.

everyone likes to blame publishers when they see their favorite studios fail, but at some point you have to see that the blame is often on them too... mismanagement and lack of vision.

It was about the same time for both Maxis and Bioware the decay reached visible point on the quality of what they delivered.

I do know on the blame on their side, even Mass Effect andromeda released raw even after delays, but this publisher deals are deciding it's best for studios to shutdown and major IPs stall as a consequence instead of getting the necessary refactoring of their structure.

That is the way the publisher should do, only way the actual veteran developers of the IP would remain on the IP and team instead of ending up going all different places.
    MaxBacon said:
    mbrodie said:
    MaxBacon said:
    jgDuffay said:

MaxBacon said:

It was about the same time for both Maxis and Bioware the decay reached visible point on the quality of what they delivered.

I do know on the blame on their side, even Mass Effect andromeda released raw even after delays, but this publisher deals are deciding it's best for studios to shutdown and major IPs stall as a consequence instead of getting the necessary refactoring of their structure.

That is the way the publisher should do, only way the actual veteran developers of the IP would remain on the IP and team instead of ending up going all different places.
    As an owner of 4 businesses myself, if one of them was underperforming for years on and and costing me money with little to no return, after i had continued to invest and give them extra resources to try and help them.

I know what i'd be doing.

Sometimes things just get to far gone and it's no longer worth trying to fix.
    edited November 2019
    mbrodie said:
    As an owner of 4 businesses myself, if one of them was underperforming for years on and and costing me money with little to no return, after i had continued to invest and give them extra resources to try and help them.

Thing is they didn't, as seen by the same interviews and info that was posted around by who worked there, it just retained that constant decay. EA bought the studio, then it's like they do not care and only acts when it's too late as issues transpire on product quality to shut the studio down, 2 studios on the case of Bioware.

I am unsure if this was the case for Maxis too, things got messy after Simcity released.
    MaxBacon said:
    mbrodie said:

Thing is they didn't, as seen by the same interviews and info that was posted around by who worked there, it just retained that constant decay. EA bought the studio, then it's like they do not care and only acts when it's too late as issues transpire on product quality to shut the studio down, 2 studios on the case of Bioware.

I am unsure if this was the case for Maxis too, things got messy after Simcity released.
    A publishers job is to give money so the studio can do it's work, as long as EA is funding the projects that get approved their job is basically done.

anything extra is a kudos to EA for bothering.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited November 2019
    I spent months with Dragon Age: Inquisition and loved it, and I haven't played Andromeda yet so I won't trash it just because the internet likes to hold a grudge forever because they liked Command & Conquer in the 90s. We're talking about subjective opinions here, after all.

Anthem's development demos looked cool and showed promise, but I didn't particularly enjoy the beta weekend. Still, I hope they find a way to turn it around into a successful IP for the next generation, even if it turns out to be something I never play.

I'm not the type to root for things to fail...frankly, there is now so much entertainment to take up my free time that I see no reason to attach myself so passionately to any of it one way or the other.
    mbrodie said:
    MaxBacon said:
    mbrodie said:

A publishers job is to give money so the studio can do it's work, as long as EA is funding the projects that get approved their job is basically done.

I'll defend EA in regards to Anthem, since reporting stated Bioware essentially did little development for years while still receiving funding. Couple that with them having various teams working on a game without being allowed to properly test it while its being developed. Really really poor leadership and management for this project.
    mbrodie
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I thought anthem was pretty good I enjoyed the combat it just didnt have enough meat. Once you got to the upper tiers the loot was pretty messed up. I hear they have attempted to correct that, but I had stopped playing it.
    mbrodie said:
    MaxBacon said:
    mbrodie said:

Not when the publisher actually bought and owns the studio, they set the leadership and are responsible to respond to any issues that arise, it'd be a different story if Bioware was independent and just had a publishing partnership for a title/IP.

Ubisoft, on the other hand, seems to be far more strict on studio performance reviews.

So I won't agree with you, if they didn't own the studio then it would indeed be just about the money.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

MaxBacon said:

I would back it up even further to Mass Effect 2.
    [Deleted User]
    Arterius said:
    Albatroes said:
    mbrodie said:
    MaxBacon said:
    mbrodie said:

The problem is why didn't EA ask about what was going on or saw what was happening? This game cost millions of dollars seems weird that they would keep giving funding to Bioware if they had no idea what was going on.
    Spent too much time on social media. lol
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Arterius said:
    Albatroes said:
    mbrodie said:
    MaxBacon said:
    mbrodie said:

I'll defend EA in regards to Anthem, since reporting stated Bioware essentially did little development for years while still receiving funding. Couple that with them having various teams working on a game without being allowed to properly test it while its being developed. Really really poor leadership and management for this project.
    The problem is why didn't EA ask about what was going on or saw what was happening? This game cost millions of dollars seems weird that they would keep giving funding to Bioware if they had no idea what was going on.
    EA was very aware and involved:

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED