Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship of Heroes CCT Beta Going On Now - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageShip of Heroes CCT Beta Going On Now - MMORPG.com

The Ship of Heroes CCT Beta is currently underway for the next week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    edited November 2019
    Something is off about the graphics in this game. It feels so, yesterday. Or like a single person working on the game using a free engine, 3D models they downloaded for free coupled with animations they bought for 10$. Not saying it can't change one day but nothing in it make me want to actually spend 50$ and start playing.
    VexiusxAgent_JosephJeroKaneLucix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited November 2019

LilithM said:

Something is off about the graphics in this game. It feels so, yesterday. Or like a single person working on the game using a free engine, 3D models they downloaded for free coupled with animations they bought for 10$. Not saying it can't change one day but nothing in it make me want to actually spend 50$ and start playing.

I don't think the graphics are that bad at all, to be honest they only have to be better then CoH to be good enough. As to will I buy, I always wait until launch reviews regardless of how good I think a game is I wait.
    Post edited by Scot on
    Blaze_Rocker
  • robjoliurobjoliu Member CommonPosts: 4
    wonder if they going to change the name of the game.
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    character creator in all its glory, but what about gameplay?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This part of it looks great to me.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    robjoliu said:
    Boat of Heroes?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Blaze_RockerAgent_JosephScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• LukzfreshLukzfresh Member UncommonPosts: 125

LilithM said:

The graphics are screaming... coming to mobile as well. LOL. You can tell by the interface. I really hate these mobile games GRRR.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    syltmacka said:
    character creator in all its glory, but what about gameplay?
    They are planning to have an invasion event as soon as possible, but definitely by December.  That will include a lot of gameplay and combat.  The Character Creator is a big deal, and they want to get it right first.  But they also wanted to show off their city that they have worked so hard on. 

They have about a number of full costumes that are finished by the artists, but need the coders to reduce their network footprint, AKA how much bandwidth a piece uses in the game, and reduce clipping to a bare minimum.  They have capes ready, but they clipped too much and moved too freely (for example, the full cape on one of my pre-test characters flipped over her head and stayed there), so they decided to not release them with this test.  I expect them in game by the time they run the invasion test.
    syltmacka

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited November 2019
    Lukzfresh said:

LilithM said:

The graphics are screaming... coming to mobile as well. LOL. You can tell by the interface. I really hate these mobile games GRRR.

They have no plans to make a console, mobile or Mac build of this game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    LilithM said:
    Indy game. You can't expect top of the line "anything" when they are just trying to finish the thing. Oh sure, it "could" change and will possibly be "a little better" but I wouldn't count on it being a whole massive change.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    DMKano said:
    That leather top her looks like there is a sack of potatoes underneath. 

Like wtf are all those lumps?
    Blame it on aliens...
    Blaze_Rocker

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited November 2019
    It's entering full Beta phase. Changes will continue to happen for years to come.

And yes, HGC isn't a AAA studio so SoH won't look like anything out today. No AAA studio was interested in going all-in on making a new superhero MMO so indies had to pop up and attempt to give CoH players something to play.
    GladDog

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

DMKano said:

Cellulite.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2019

It's entering full Beta phase. Changes will continue to happen for years to come.

And yes, HGC isn't a AAA studio so SoH won't look like anything out today. No AAA studio was interested in going all-in on making a new superhero MMO so indies had to pop up and attempt to give CoH players something to play.

Then COH goes getting relaunched everywhere making this game and all those like it in progress basically redundant, yes?

Probably should just toss in the towel now.
    dragonlee66

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    robjoliu said:
    Legends of Heroes Unchained
    Panzerbeorne39Scot
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    DMKano said:

IDK but I think I count five nipples!  This game might be awesome after all.
    KyleranSamhaelRich84Blaze_Rocker
    Kyleran said:

Then COH goes getting relaunched everywhere making this game and all those like it in progress basically redundant, yes?

Why would the spiritual successor projects suddenly become redundant? CoH is old. I use to play it and considered playing it again but it's too little too late. SoH is a new experience with a new generation of graphics. I may not care for the setting but I'm sure I can eventually find an avenue from which I can have a good time playing it.

Why would anyone want to throw in the towel when it's so close to launch? Might as well finish what's been started. Let's take this puppy all the way and try something new.

I'd say the biggest question here is "Why do you care?" You obviously don't look like the type that wants to play SoH. So... WTF are you even doing commenting about a game you're not going to play? There's tons of games out there that I don't play and you don't see me commenting on how I think other people are stupid for playing them just because I don't like the looks of those games. People play what they like, it's just that simple.

I think we all know the real value of your opinions and comments regarding SoH. Somewhere in the range of stale doughnuts to a bottle of trucker piss.

KyleranGladDog

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:

SoH is a new experience with a new generation of graphics. 

K>"Something is off about the graphics in this game. It feels so, yesterday. Or like a single person working on the game using a free engine, 3D models they downloaded for free coupled with animations they bought for 10$."

I may not care for the setting but I'm sure I can eventually find an avenue from which I can have a good time playing it.

K>so the setting sux but you will force yourself to like it somehow...OK then.

Why would anyone want to throw in the towel when it's so close to launch? 

K>where do you see any indication it is close to full release? They've got a character creator and one unfinished "city" far as I can see.

I'd say the biggest question here is "Why do you care?" 

K>I don't actually care. The real question to ask yourself is why do you care what I think or post?

WTF are you even doing commenting about a game you're not going to play? 

K> 34K plus comments, surely you don't think they are all about games that's I've played, who do I look like, @DMKano:D

There's tons of games out there that I don't play and you don't see me commenting on how I think other people are stupid for playing them just because I don't like the looks of those games.

K>since I never stated such things here those are some sort of strawman built up from your attempt to mind read my motivations.

of your opinions and comments regarding SoH. Somewhere in the range of stale doughnuts to a bottle of trucker piss.

K> once the insults start flowing ...the game has been won.

Forum PVP, or it amuses me, or need something to do while in the loo, take your pick as to why I'm commenting in gaming forum about games.

Weird eh?

I see this as a move to encourage more people to donate 50 bucks so they can continue development.

Not a bad strategy, tossing backers a bone to drive more donations has worked fabulously well for SC and even COE managed to raise over a million from just a few bad videos and some way late maps.

End of 2020 and an early access launch is probably the best they can hope for....the money is running out....assuming they ever really had any.

Blaze_Rocker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Kyleran said:

SoH is a new experience with a new generation of graphics. 

K>"Something is off about the graphics in this game. It feels so, yesterday. Or like a single person working on the game using a free engine, 3D models they downloaded for free coupled with animations they bought for 10$."

I may not care for the setting but I'm sure I can eventually find an avenue from which I can have a good time playing it.

K>so the setting sux but you will force yourself to like it somehow...OK then.

Why would anyone want to throw in the towel when it's so close to launch? 

K>where do you see any indication it is close to full release? They've got a character creator and one unfinished "city" far as I can see.

I'd say the biggest question here is "Why do you care?" 

K>I don't actually care. The real question to ask yourself is why do you care what I think or post?

WTF are you even doing commenting about a game you're not going to play? 

K> 34K plus comments, surely you don't think they are all about games that's I've played, who do I look like, @DMKano:D

There's tons of games out there that I don't play and you don't see me commenting on how I think other people are stupid for playing them just because I don't like the looks of those games.

K>since I never stated such things here those are some sort of strawman built up from your attempt to mind read my motivations.

of your opinions and comments regarding SoH. Somewhere in the range of stale doughnuts to a bottle of trucker piss.

K> once the insults start flowing ...the game has been won.

Forum PVP, or it amuses me, or need something to do while in the loo, take your pick as to why I'm commenting in gaming forum about games.

Weird eh?

I see this as a move to encourage more people to donate 50 bucks so they can continue development.

Not a bad strategy, tossing backers a bone to drive more donations has worked fabulously well for SC and even COE managed to raise over a million from just a few bad videos and some way late maps.

End of 2020 and an early access launch is probably the best they can hope for....the money is running out....assuming they ever really had any.

"Something is off about the graphics in this game. It feels so, yesterday. Or like a single person working on the game using a free engine, 3D models they downloaded for free coupled with animations they bought for 10$."
    I agree. Something is off about the graphics. - Knowing that the work was done by a new studio, do I really care about off-graphics when I'm willing to try a CoH successor? No. Do you care? Yes, obviously, for whatever reason/s.

"so the setting sux but you will force yourself to like it somehow...OK then"
    I never said the setting sux. You said that. I said "I may not care for the setting but I'm sure I can eventually find an avenue from which I can have a good time playing it." You even included it when quoting me.
    I also said "I'm sure I can eventually find an avenue from which I can have a good time playing it." - I already have some ideas on things I can eventually do and topics of conversations to share with others while in the game so even if I force myself to play a game with a setting that I don't care for that force doesn't constitute much at all.

"where do you see any indication it is close to full release? They've got a character creator and one unfinished "city" far as I can see"
    I never said anything about a full release. Studios can release games without being fully ready. They've been doing it for years now as so-called Soft Launches, if I'm not mistaken. That's also something I don't care for but nobody cares about my opinion on that.

"I don't actually care."
    Oh, I highly doubt that. You comment on SoH articles just so you can be negative about a game you don't like and don't intend to play and you want to shit on anyone that holds some positivity on it.
    I look at that 34,000+ posts indicator and I see just how meaningless it really is. If I dedicated myself to shitting on people and games that I don't like I could have a number just as high and it would be just as worthless as yours.

"once the insults start flowing ...the game has been won."
    Your words certainly speak for themselves. Enjoy your easily won battle. I'll bet you've racked up a mountain of them by now from all the people and games you've shit on just because it amuses you.
    Kyleran

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2019

Lukzfresh said:

LilithM said:

The rot started 40 years ago I tell you. When mainframes became portable. People just shouldn't be allowed to play at home. Games for mainframes only!
    KyleranGladDog
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Lukzfresh said:

LilithM said:

is a clone of COH character creation .... i dont see the "mobile" thing here.
  • LucixLucix Member UncommonPosts: 79

LilithM said:

Totally agree, I was gobsmacked I always saw everyone positive about this. This looks like a student project.
    Kyleran
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Scot said:

LilithM said:

I don't think the graphics are that bad at all, to be honest they only have to be better then CoH to be good enough. As to will I buy, I always wait until launch reviews regardless of how good I think a game is I wait.

I agree about the graphics but I am having a really hard time understanding your thinking on reviews. Why let gatekeepers with an agenda do your thinking for you? Is this the only medium you put stock into reviews? Did you let the reviewers tell you not to watch Chappelle's special, or Burr's, or 300?

I don't and never have been able to connect the relevancy of what someone else thinks about something and what I think about something. In fact, most of my favorite games were reviewed poorly when they were released by both critics and audiences (influenced by critics since they just parrot the same tripe).

If anything, there seems to be a reverse correlation - if the critics and nincompoops hate it, its probably a real game with depth and complexity and I'll greatly enjoy it.
    ScotBlaze_Rocker
    edited November 2019
    blamo2000 said:

Scot said:

LilithM said:

I agree about the graphics but I am having a really hard time understanding your thinking on reviews. Why let gatekeepers with an agenda do your thinking for you? Is this the only medium you put stock into reviews? Did you let the reviewers tell you not to watch Chappelle's special, or Burr's, or 300?

I don't and never have been able to connect the relevancy of what someone else thinks about something and what I think about something. In fact, most of my favorite games were reviewed poorly when they were released by both critics and audiences (influenced by critics since they just parrot the same tripe).

If anything, there seems to be a reverse correlation - if the critics and nincompoops hate it, its probably a real game with depth and complexity and I'll greatly enjoy it.
    That is a real issue, so you have to gather as much data as you can. Many players baulk at this thinking it takes up too much time. It can, when deciding to get Hitman 2 recently I had to spend ten minutes reading an explanation of the dlc's in a game I had already spent several minutes before checking Metarcritic and Steam reviews to put it on my wishlist. Hitman is a franchise, you know what you are getting, extra time for games which stand on their own merits. But that time is worth it, you can waste a couple of hours on a game you will end up not liking before you realise it is not for you.

My big tip is something you may already be doing. Always read the lowest scoring reviews first, in Metacritic they will give a game 90 and tell you nothing you need to know. Same goes for people who downvote on Steam, check those out. It is the review that gives 70 that raises your concerns that the mouse and keyboard controls for this port are sloppy. So there you may want to wait until that's sorted out, it may never get sorted out mind you. Another thing to watch is gaming journalists love anything new, they nearly all think gaming is too centred around shooters and driving games. So "new" formats are given a huge benefit of doubt, even if they are in fact poor games.

A personal peeve, narrative "games", they can have virtually no game play, they would make better books and films but we get a game. Some are great, but most for me fail to enthral. The reviews they get would make you think mana had rained from heaven when many are just walking simulators with a so-so story. Also be careful about games that deal with "human interest", relationships and so on, which reviewers seem to think will appeal to players of any demographic.
    Blaze_Rockerblamo2000GladDogMendel
    lahnmir said:
    robjoliu said:
    Boat of Heroes?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Just in case they ever have trouble thinking of a name for their first major expansion how about "Ship of Villains", just came out of the blue to me. :)
    [Deleted User]lahnmir