Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Math "Problem"

2»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    AlBQuirky said:
    Since answers may vary, use an average "ballpark" figure. It's not meant to be scientific ;)

1) How many games do you usually buy in any given year?

2) How many games do you play in any given year?

3) How many games do you "finish" in any given year.
    Lastly, I have gotten to the end of most games I like. Finished? I'm still playing many games I love again and again, like Morrowind and Knight's of the Old Republic (not the MMO). So the good games I know I have gotten my monies worth. 
    AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK i don't keep track of any of that stuff.I do know i play a lot of games not meant to be finished...ever.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    1. 3 to 5
    2. 8 to 10
    3. 2 to 3
    AlBQuirky

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    AlBQuirky said:
    Since answers may vary, use an average "ballpark" figure. It's not meant to be scientific ;)

5?

I play MMO's mostly so the finish doesn't work, just sinking much time on fewer titles :p 
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    MaxBacon said:
    AlBQuirky said:

5?

I play MMO's mostly so the finish doesn't work, just sinking much time on fewer titles :p 
    I would argue MMOs are "finished" when a player has completed whatever content they enjoy in them.

For me its leveling and progression,  which is why in many titles I dipped out once I got a character or two to max level

For me at least, "end game" in most MMOs released (post 2004) really is the end of my time in them.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    MaxBacon said:
    AlBQuirky said:

5?

I missed a lot of game releases between 2001-2003 when I played EQ almost exclusively ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Nanfoodle said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Lastly, I have gotten to the end of most games I like. Finished? I'm still playing many games I love again and again, like Morrowind and Knight's of the Old Republic (not the MMO). So the good games I know I have gotten my monies worth. 
    "Finished" may have been a bad word choice, because here you describe playthroughs, which I do, too.

I see playing Skyrim 100 times with 100 different character as separate runs. I don't always "finish" those runs :)

And then you have players like Kyleran who play one game to the end then shelve it, possibly to never play again. In this case, the game is truly "finished."
    Cryomatrix

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited November 2019
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    3. Define "finish", please.
    I think of the RPGs I mainly play where the story has an ending, as do many looter shooters. Strategy and board games you can beat the AI. Puzzle games I'm unsure if you can ever beat them. Simulation games may be more difficult to define.

It is kind of tough, but a good question ;)
    So, the meta-context of collecting all the achievments etc doesn't apply here?

If so, I tend to finish at least 33% of games I start. Probably closer to 50% tbh. So, there is that.
    I didn't even think about 100% runs, which many players do, too. Good point ;)

I don't think I've ever gotten all the achievements in a game...

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Not finishing a game is unacceptable unless you found it was not for you in the first place. If you enjoyed it finish it. :)
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    Scot said:
    Not finishing a game is unacceptable unless you found it was not for you in the first place. If you enjoyed it finish it. :)
    Basically I agree. I have had games, though, where I see "the end" and delay it as long as possible since I'm having such good fun ;)
    Scot

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    AlBQuirky said:

5?

I would argue MMOs are "finished" when a player has completed whatever content they enjoy in them.

For me its leveling and progression,  which is why in many titles I dipped out once I got a character or two to max level

For me at least, "end game" in most MMOs released (post 2004) really is the end of my time in them.
    The main story and max level for some. But max level is no longer relevant to end-game on multiple titles, it's the sort of gear progression to go towards new zones, story, etc... Some have unlimited levels so you'll be there forevah :D 
    AlBQuirky
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    1. 20
    2. 19  
    3. 10-15

There is always that one game I got on a sale just because it was cheap and thinking I will play it later but it never happens. I drop most games early because they just wasn't for me. 1-2 games per year I drop late because the game stopped being fun. 
    AlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited November 2019
    Humble Bundle is the bane of my library

Work and kids are the bane of my completions 

probably....
    30-40 (only 2-3 outside of HB though)
    5-10
    0-1 (hard to complete MMOs)
    AlBQuirky