Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Civilization VI… It's not boring

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,501
    Of course civ 6 is not boring to play, it's boring to watch other people play it.  :D
    This is why the whole of gaming is feeling the pull to be "arcade". If it does not look good streaming people won't but it. A shame as the entertainment and depth you can get out of a game has little to do with what you can see from someone else playing for 2 minutes.
    Palebane

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,528
    Here's something to consider about being candy-downed from Civ 5 

It still has a huge learning curve to ANYONE THAT HAD NOT PLAYED a civ game.  For anyone new I would recommend a "how to play video" because you need to utilize all it's features.

Anyone trying to play this game for the first time without having an understanding would get their butt kicked on any setting above standard.  And standard being for the experienced civ 5 players.

So what I'm saying here, its not easy for a new player to civ's games by a long stretch.

Without playing 5, It's made extremely enjoyable...... I wouldn't want any harder for micromanaging.  I could but don't want too.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Here's something to consider about being candy-downed from Civ 5 

It still has a huge learning curve to ANYONE THAT HAD NOT PLAYED a civ game.  For anyone new I would recommend a "how to play video" because you need to utilize all it's features.

Anyone trying to play this game for the first time without having an understanding would get their butt kicked on any setting above standard.  And standard being for the experienced civ 5 players.

So what I'm saying here, its not easy for a new player to civ's games by a long stretch.

Without playing 5, It's made extremely enjoyable...... I wouldn't want any harder for micromanaging.  I could but don't want too.
    I agree - with the sentiment anyway.

Civ6 isn't "candy-downed" it has better AI.

As a result the city-state helpers  do a better job of helping new players.
    They do a better job of allowing experienced players, if they wish, to focus on the strategy without going to deeply into the tactics.

An a result an experienced Civ player can / will have been able to pick up Civ6 very quickly. And play it at a "higher level of difficulty" than previous versions. Some will have jumpted straight into standard!

Civ6 does become "harder" though. Very few players completed previous versions of Civ at Deity level. No surprise since the way the game ramped up the challenge was to simply load the deck: extra units at the start, extra cities, extra god, tech - whatever. So you were playing the same "level" of AI but starting with a handicap. Probably why very few players finished Civ at the highest level - the global stats are on Steam for all to see; its a tiny slither of a percentage.

In Civ6 the AI has "more levels" of difficulty. The challemge is still there its just "more nuanced".

And yes I have completed Civ5 (and other versions) at Deity level.
    delete5230Torval
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    CIV VI AI is dumb AF.
    The AI players spam their cities in the most random fashion.
    After few turns, the map become a cluster fuck of cities making it difficult to build districts in your own cities, as you need lots of space for that.

CIV V is still a better game, though CIV VI has the potential to be better if they fix the AI.
    Scotdeniter
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,501
    It is no coincidence that gamers feel Civ VI is dumbed down and modern MMOs are dumbed down. That is the journey the whole of gaming has been on for about twenty years. Even if you were not gaming twenty years ago in five or ten years time you will perceive the same thing as this journey has not ended.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 766
    I still remember beating Civ 1 & 2 on their highest difficulties back in the day pre internet when "just 1 more turn" was at 3am in the morning and i had to get some sleep because i had work the next day.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,412

yes it is...
    Mykell said:
    I still remember beating Civ 1 & 2 on their highest difficulties back in the day pre internet when "just 1 more turn" was at 3am in the morning and i had to get some sleep because i had work the next day.
    I'm having this problem with 6.... Just one more turn, then its four hours later !
    I absolutely love this game. I cant stop playing, I have maybe 40 hours in so far and just hitting the point where It could be comfortable in strategy.

I've been running a campaign for like 3 days on second to lowest difficulty (I'm still new).
    Again I'm going for a domination victory.

At first I had four civilizations on my map to beat and they were no problem, but I didn't understand other civilizations were across water so I had to make a navy. I found my land units could move across the water but had to be protected by navy ships to get there. I soon figured out how to move across water.

I have a HUGE army and made a strategy on landing on this island and start battling. At first appearance it looked easy but no.

-First realizing rocky shores wouldn't allow me to disembark where I thought I could killed my placement strategy. But it’s not always rocky shores, some times it doesn't make sense why the movement wouldn't take place.

-The city walls are much much harder than previous city takedowns, my fault didn't take into account advancement it time.

-Massive movement restrictions to strategically place units surrounding the cities. This is my BIG gripe with the game. Infact the real big one is clicking on a tile and because of the restriction it will move you completely in the wrong direction (backwards). I understand what it's trying to do by getting you their eventually, but it waist a move and later you wouldn't have done it.

Maybe an advancement in time with air and navy bombing would be the better strategy….. But it comes back to the same point, trial and error.

You have a Huge trial- and- error ability to over come in so many ways…. So many restrictions killed my strategy so many times.

The good news !!!!
    This is the only game I'll keep on my computer forever.  Never seen more replay factor in any game :)
    Scot said:
    It is no coincidence that gamers feel Civ VI is dumbed down and modern MMOs are dumbed down. That is the journey the whole of gaming has been on for about twenty years. Even if you were not gaming twenty years ago in five or ten years time you will perceive the same thing as this journey has not ended.
    I could understand your point, this is how I look at the situation from both perspectives.

If you play a game that's bruit punishing in complexity (I say that in a good way) it's hard to take a step back.  To lower the pain would be a blow to fans of the franchise.  BUT I'm sure because of this many that had purchased it were disappointed in its dept and were forced to give up or find it not worth it.  I'm willing to bet a large percent were in the category, infact maybe more than loved it.

Speaking on behalf of someone that never played a civ game would find this a more enjoyable experience..... After all it is deeply complex times a factor of 4 as compared to a factor of 6.  4 being VERY complicated for most.

In other words, Civ 6 is for deep gamers that want difficult yet enjoyable..... I get it, its a disappointing sell out to the original fans.  

I cant relate this to dumb down mmoprgs, their simply for five year olds. 
    edited November 2019
    I absolutely love this game. I cant stop playing, I have maybe 40 hours in so far and just hitting the point where It could be comfortable in strategy.

I've been running a campaign for like 3 days on second to lowest difficulty (I'm still new).

At first I had four civilizations on my map to beat and they were no problem, but I didn't understand other civilizations were across water so I had to make a navy. I found my land units could move across the water but had to be protected by navy ships to get there. I soon figured out how to move across water.

I have a HUGE army and made a strategy on landing on this island and start battling. At first appearance it looked easy but no.

-First realizing rocky shores wouldn't allow me to disembark where I thought I could killed my placement strategy. But it’s not always rocky shores, some times it doesn't make sense why the movement wouldn't take place.

-The city walls are much much harder than previous city takedowns, my fault didn't take into account advancement it time.

-Massive movement restrictions to strategically place units surrounding the cities. This is my BIG gripe with the game. Infact the real big one is clicking on a tile and because of the restriction it will move you completely in the wrong direction (backwards). I understand what it's trying to do by getting you their eventually, but it waist a move and later you wouldn't have done it.

Maybe an advancement in time with air and navy bombing would be the better strategy….. But it comes back to the same point, trial and error.

You have a Huge trial- and- error ability to over come in so many ways…. So many restrictions killed my strategy so many times.

The good news !!!!
    This is the only game I'll keep on my computer forever.  Never seen more replay factor in any game :)
    I just thought of a revelation, 
    Instead of giving up, I may back whats left of my army and take my losses, then develop a stronger Navy and Air Force...... I seem to think I can "bull dog" my way in living in ancient warfare. Times change like in real life, if I'm to survive I'll have to get with the times.

As I concur one Civ at a time, everyone else is getting stronger, their are mechanics for this....... This is deep stuff !  

If anything play longer to gain expriance with a modern Armed Forces.... Got it !  But for now I better take a break, I'm way over thinking the situation and the wife is getting mad.... Now that can be a real war  B) 
    Palebane
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,930
    Ive never beat a 4x game on anything harder than normal, and cheat commonly. Doesn’t stop me from playing them for 100s of hours. I do enjoy the strategy, but I like to RP my civs/factions also. I feel like once I get to a certain level, the game loses its lustre because I feel like Im no longer playing against Russia, I am playing against the computer, trying to manipulate code. Thats my perspective anyhow.
    Iselingervaise1

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

The good news !!!!
    I just thought of a revelation, 
    Instead of giving up, I may back whats left of my army and take my losses, then develop a stronger Navy and Air Force...... I seem to think I can "bull dog" my way in living in ancient warfare. Times change like in real life, if I'm to survive I'll have to get with the times.

As I concur one Civ at a time, everyone else is getting stronger, their are mechanics for this....... This is deep stuff !  

If anything play longer to gain expriance with a modern Armed Forces.... Got it !  But for now I better take a break, I'm way over thinking the situation and the wife is getting mad.... Now that can be a real war  B) 
    Start a "challenge" with a different start date to get experience of different time periods. 
    Palebane said:
    Ive never beat a 4x game on anything harder than normal, and cheat commonly. Doesn’t stop me from playing them for 100s of hours. I do enjoy the strategy, but I like to RP my civs/factions also. I feel like once I get to a certain level, the game loses its lustre because I feel like Im no longer playing against Russia, I am playing against the computer, trying to manipulate code. Thats my perspective anyhow.
    This is accurate. And its at it worst at "higher difficulty" levels when the odds simply get stacked against you.

One of the differences with CKII - other 4x games are available! - is that there is no "assumption" that everyone starts out on an equal footing. How well you are doing in the present is "relative" to how well you were doing in the past. With the AI mechanics being the same as the mechanics you get to play. With each AI "team" playing to better its own position - you get treated as another AI opponent. And when a current "head of family" dies - well everything may be up for grabs!

The AI in Civ6 is still not at the level of treating you as "just another AI opponent" -  but its better.
    Palebane
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,930
    edited November 2019
    Ck2 is “f2p” on Steam but $250 for the bundle discount, ouch. I am DL the f2p rn.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.