Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cracked article pokes fun

KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
https://www.cracked.com/blog/10-stories-about-weirdest-video-game-production-ever/

I’d like to try a little experiment. If this article makes you froth at the mouth and your first reaction is to jump in and defend CI or attack the writer then don’t. Just don’t post and let’s see if we can contain all the “haters” to this thread.

Failure to follow the above rules is your consent to be reported for trolling, baiting and attempting to shut down another thread. All haters please do not respond to the fans and simply report
newbismxViper482NorseGod[Deleted User]

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Kefo
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    CLOSEDAlphabet Game Conversation Group  Page 210
    Kefo

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I don't disagree with any of those points. We simply just cannot have a discussion about any of them on this site for some odd reason.
    Mendelnewbismxrpmcmurphybartoni33Viper482Octagon7711
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Been four hours.  Where are all the self-appointed SC defenders?

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Mendel said:

I believe they are respecting the thread. I’m actually impressed
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    It's fascinating what people are willing to fund. The table below changed my world recently.

NBA 2K20 literally released a micro-transaction trailer. People were in uproar online, it got very mediocre reviews. And now it's the top grossing game for consoles. I think there is no helping gamers if they don't help themselves. As long as people are buying, there is no reason to change the monetization practises.

I don't see the Star Citizen funding drying up any time soon. At least they are kind of honest - they are selling pictures of ships and everyone knows they are buying pictures of ships.
    NorseGod
    laxie said:
    It's fascinating what people are willing to fund. The table below changed my world recently.

NBA 2K20 literally released a micro-transaction trailer. People were in uproar online, it got very mediocre reviews. And now it's the top grossing game for consoles. I think there is no helping gamers if they don't help themselves. As long as people are buying, there is no reason to change the monetization practises.

I don't see the Star Citizen funding drying up any time soon. At least they are kind of honest - they are selling pictures of ships and everyone knows they are buying pictures of ships.
    The sports franchises always sell massive amounts of games even though they are almost the same game year after year with maybe a different character on the box art. And yes you’re right until gamers actually stand up to the monetization practices then studios will continue to exploit.

As for Star Citizen no I don’t think the funding will dry up anytime soon. To be honest I think some people are too deep in and will keep throwing money at it so it can’t “fail”, or spite pledge to stop critics or any other number of reasons. 

As for the being honest part I don’t 100% agree. Ships can change from what people paid for years down the road and you are out of luck for a refund and CI likes to engage in the practice of creating artificial demand (buy now before we run out!, Only available for a limited time!, the price will increase in the future!) to drive sales by making people think if they don’t get it now they might not be able to. CI isn’t the only company to do this but that doesn’t excuse them
    edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    laxie said:

The sports franchises always sell massive amounts of games even though they are almost the same game year after year with maybe a different character on the box art. And yes you’re right until gamers actually stand up to the monetization practices then studios will continue to exploit.

As for Star Citizen no I don’t think the funding will dry up anytime soon. To be honest I think some people are too deep in and will keep throwing money at it so it can’t “fail”, or spite pledge to stop critics or any other number of reasons. 

As for the being honest part I don’t 100% agree. Ships can change from what people paid for years down the road and you are out of luck for a refund and CI likes to engage in the practice of creating artificial demand (buy now before we run out!, Only available for a limited time!, the price will increase in the future!) to drive sales by making people think if they don’t get it now they might not be able to. CI isn’t the only company to do this but that doesn’t excuse them
    Well I got an unlimited supply of imaginary ships I would be willing to part with. I'll even draw some pictures.

This package must at least be worth 50k (not my art btw)

(disclaimer if you can't laugh, I feel sorry for your life)

For real though, this whole bait and switch thing is what I take issue with when it comes to this game. Not that I care that folks are wasting money on supposed limited time ships that don't even exist, I just think it puts the industry in a bad light to outsiders who know nothing about gaming will jump in and say "see, the gaming industry is out of control, games are evil places for gambling and addiction ect". "These game publishers prey on the weak minded, we need laws to stop it"
    kjempff
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    "Many people might balk at the idea of paying even a dollar for virtual cow in a game like Farmville. But Jon Jacobs has just sold a virtual space station he's spent the past five years managing for a whopping $635,000 in total, making over half a million dollars. Who would devote so much time and investment into something that doesn't exist in the real world?""

-Forbes 2017
    That remark from Forbes is so funny when you think about what stocks are. Stocks are exactly that "Investment into something that does not exist in the real world". Stocks are no more real than virtual property.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    Mendel said:
    Probably been put on notice after their behaviour in the last 2 threads.

---

I got a message from a user here about how people were discussing the latest delay in the Camelot Unchained thread, the difference between that and what would happen if it was a thread about SC really highlights just how defensive and volatile some people are.

TillerKefoNorseGod
    Kefo said:
    Mendel said:

---

I got a message from a user here about how people were discussing the latest delay in the Camelot Unchained thread, the difference between that and what would happen if it was a thread about SC really highlights just how defensive and volatile some people are.

Wow it’s nice reading a thread that doesn’t have personal attacks and people screaming hater and instead just discussing the game and it’s delays. 
    NorseGodrpmcmurphy
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    kjempff said:
    "Many people might balk at the idea of paying even a dollar for virtual cow in a game like Farmville. But Jon Jacobs has just sold a virtual space station he's spent the past five years managing for a whopping $635,000 in total, making over half a million dollars. Who would devote so much time and investment into something that doesn't exist in the real world?""

-Forbes 2017
    That remark from Forbes is so funny when you think about what stocks are. Stocks are exactly that "Investment into something that does not exist in the real world". Stocks are no more real than virtual property.
    The last time I checked Google, Caterpillar, and Amazon all existed in the real world. I've been to them. Unless you know something I don't.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited November 2019
    laxie said:

You're confusing honesty with telling lies so blatant everyone just ignores it and sees the truth (and those that don't just don't care)

CIG has never said they were only selling pictures of ships.  Its just thats what we realize is the truth now due to its obviousness despite how CIG has never been honest about that.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Hilariously accurate read. This game is a wart on the ass of crowdfunding. 
    NorseGodKefo
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    kjempff said:
     Unless you know something I don't.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Even if what I think of as the big four launch and are all successes in their own terms (unlikely as a four for four is), there will still be a big question mark over how long any new MMOs will take. It looks now that we are talking a minimum of five years, if it on the scale of SC we could be looking at ten!
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    edited November 2019
    I got this in the mail the other day:

"Tell your friends and local space enthusiasts that there's never been a better time to start a Star Citizen adventure, with discounted game packages available through November 5th."

This makes it sound like you can get into the game for a discount until Nov 5th. However, if you go to the website to "buy" one of these packages, you'll see that there is no guarantee that you will ever receive a game, and that what you are doing is donating towards a possible future game.

Kinda irritating marketing practice.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    Mendel said:

---

Wow it’s nice reading a thread that doesn’t have personal attacks and people screaming hater and instead just discussing the game and it’s delays. 
    Innit, a few people being critical, a few people poking fun but otherwise just completely normal discussion that's over and done with quite quickly. No drama, no vitriol and no prolongation because they have to scramble over each other to defend a company's e-honour.
    Kefo
    edited November 2019
    At least Entropia Universe has something tangible to buy and use, and not all just "pay now for coming soon (maybe)" I have no problem buying items I can use in games right now, not gonna wait 10 years to use what I bought and use something else and say, it's good enough I guess. As for mobile FTP games, those always shut down eventually. I would never waste my money on that stuff; if you do that's on you, but expect the inevitable I told you so.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Tiller said:
    At least Entropia Universe has something tangible to buy and use, and not all just "pay now for coming soon (maybe)" I have no problem buying items I can use in games right now, not gonna wait 10 years to use what I bought and use something else and say, it's good enough I guess. As for mobile FTP games, those always shut down eventually. I would never waste my money on that stuff; if you do that's on you, but expect the inevitable I told you so.
    If we were talking about any other game in development, I would disagree. However, many of the ships still don't have their game loop/gimmick that they were sold upon.

There is no documentation or demo showing game loops/gimmicks working for those specialized ships (not including many features sold with the game).

So what happens if they can't deliver any of those game loops/gimmicks? Either they are just not there or they are some watered-down version. The point is, those ships will be useless. 

Your only choices at that point is either pay more money to get out of that ship or cut your loses and walk away, because you're not getting a refund.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    kjempff said:

-Forbes 2017
    The kicker is, someone else bought it..... I played Entropia Universe for a bit, I put like 10 dollars into it at the time for mining, and got about 20 dollars back, but over time the gsme widdled that 20 dollars pretty fast. I would imagine  the space station coast about 100k a year to maintain ...
    That Entropia Universe station was so expensive because it was making profit for its owner. Entropia Universe is unique economy where you can change in-game cash into real cash, so that in-game business administrators who run profitable business can earn a lot of real cash for it.
    [Deleted User]

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2019
    NorseGod said:
    Your only choices at that point is either pay more money to get out of that ship or cut your loses and walk away, because you're not getting a refund.
    I think you know very well the melting system exists, not sure why spreading misinformation. 

For who don't know, melting allows when someone no longer wants for whatever reason their ship to melt into store credit and get what they want, this copes with the changes the ships might face. Such changes unlike TiamatRoar is misinforming about, it is told that concept ships will potentially change until implementation,  both on their stats, visuals, etc, they are not final.

Sorry to break into this "only haters allowed" thread (as per OP), but you can very well hate SC without rando misinformation
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    edited November 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    NorseGod said:

Sorry to break into the "only haters allowed" thread, but lies are lies.
    See and there you go with the intentional jab. But thanks again for adding your facts to the discussion. You just couldn't correct what you call misinformation without making a personal jab and calling people liars. I'm gonna ask if you could please just keep things civil in this discussion, and not make things personal with attacks, unless your real intention is start a flame war again to get the thread shut down; which BTW is against TOS. This is a game discussion and not place to grind your axe with people personally. Thanks in advance.

BeansnBreadsgelMendelGdemami[Deleted User]Kefo
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2019
    Tiller said:
    MaxBacon said:
    NorseGod said:

Sorry to break into the "only haters allowed" thread, but lies are lies.
    See and there you go with the intentional jab. You just couldn't correct what you call misinformation without making a personal jab and calling people liars. I'm gonna ask if you could please just keep things civil in this discussion, and not make things personal with attacks, unless your real intention is start a flame war again to get the thread shut down; which BTW is against TOS. This is a game discussion and not place to grind your axe with people personally. Thanks in advance.

You are welcome to file a report. I did quickly edited the post (not quick nuf for your quote) for misinformation wording because there is some chance he doesn't know about the melting system, awareness of it would make it a lie (as it is logical and calling it wouldn't be against rules).

I do not have intentions of discussing here, countering that misinformation and that about it
    rpmcmurphy
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm more used to seeing funny but outlandish bits on Cracked. This just reads like objective reporting :)
    rpmcmurphy[Deleted User]MendelGdemamianemoAethaerynKefo[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

This discussion has been closed.