Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard President Jay Allen Brack Addresses Controversy At BlizzCon 2019 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Hatefull said:
    DMKano said:
    Hatefull said:

DMKano said:

That was the weakest apology ever

How so? Considering Blizzard did not owe an apology anyway, it seemed pretty legit to me.

They said actions speak louder than words... they took no action

Blitzchung still has a 6 month ban

The 2 Taiwanese casters - still a 6 month ban for each

An apology without action is worthless.
    Well, instead of permaban and no prize money its 6 months and he gets his prize money...so show me where no action was taken.

You kinda missed the point. They broke no rule. There should not have been a ban to begin with. The rule stated they broke is a bs rule that says if we dont like something you say we can do what ever we want. Why have any other rule than that then? That covers everything. So anything besides completely reversing that decision is nothing more than meaningless.

Saying we will do better next time is not an apology, Its an excuse to get away with what they did.  They chose sides and the side they chose was china. The ONLY reason they did anything was it being high in the news and getting government officials involved. They didnt care one bit that their own employees walked out in protest. They can be replaced especially with all that china money rolling in.

No, you kinda missed the point, they absolutely did break a rule, it was said in the original piece about the ban from both sides.

If Blizzard wants to reevaluate its stance that is all well and good, and it is far more of an apology than was deserved.

Yeah funny story, a business exists to make money, welcome to the real world.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Why are we still painting Blizzchung as a victim..? The dude all but flat out admitted that he knew what was going to happen and that it was the best way to force Blizzard to acknowledge the issue... And looking back i´d say worked pretty much flawlessly. In fact he lost nothing of value by breaking the rules. 

The issue got about 1000x more exposure then if Blizzard just would have come out on their own... 

Yeah... A 6 month ban from one  tournament circuit... Yeah that means nothing. Not with the added publicity and personal brand value this action added. 

(I do feel a bit sorry for the casters tho... They did probably not know what was going to happen.)
    NephethHatefull

This have been a good conversation

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    So since everyone is pro-HK, they hate Blizz for trying to keep politics out of their eSports, should all opinions be allowed to be stated on their platform? Anti-vaxxers? Pro/Anti-Trumpers? Flat-earthers? Alt-right (Nazis)? Blizz is trying to keep their video game company about video games. They did a shitty job of it, but I don't blame them at all; you either ban all "real-world" talk from official events, or allow it all.
    jimmywolfHatefullLaazRockit
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    What I find so sad is that this shouldn't be a divisive issue for Americans, at all... The correct side is so obvious, yet somehow those of a certain political persuasion have gone so insane in the past 4 years, they now side with China and the same corporations they detested during the previous administration.
    jimmywolf
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    goozmania said:
    What I find so sad is that this shouldn't be a divisive issue for Americans, at all... The correct side is so obvious, yet somehow those of a certain political persuasion have gone so insane in the past 4 years, they now side with China and the same corporations they detested during the previous administration.
    But that has always been the division in america.. from day one... (literally) Capital vs Ideology. 
    Hatefull

This have been a good conversation

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited November 2019
    One of the most meaningless heartfelt apologies ever. Words mean very little when it comes to banning and censorship. Actions is what counts. If they would have said that bblitzchung was unbanned and the college guys unbanned then it would have been a more meaningful apology. They broke NO rules yet are still punished. It's one thing if they had a direct rule against it but to use the bs rule "do anything we don't like regardless if there isn't a rule and we get rid of you" is absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry blizzard, just like the nfl knee bending manchildren, I choose to take my time and money elsewhere.
    Holy shit. Your hypocrisy meter is off the fucking chart.

"I only support the players' right to protest when I like their cause."

goozmania said:
    Excuse me? When did this become a party issue? Last I checked, the letter to Blizzard was signed by politicians of BOTH parties. But sure. Use this as a time to say "LIBRALS BAD, HURR!"
    NephethHatefullvandal5627
    goozmania said:
    Excuse me? When did this become a party issue? Last I checked, the letter to Blizzard was signed by politicians of BOTH parties. But sure. Use this as a time to say "LIBRALS BAD, HURR!"
    Random internet plebs aren't politicians, are they? Are you?
    Also, not a single of the presidential candidates have...
    Aeander
    goozmania said:
    goozmania said:
    Have you taken a poll of random internet plebs to see if a significant portion of anyone informed on the issue is anti-HK and what their political allegiances are?

I gave you an example of something objective, which we have seen in action. For all I know, your opinion could stem from a group of 5 people on Facebook.
    Hatefull
    edited November 2019
    Aeander said:
    goozmania said:
    goozmania said:
    Have you taken a poll of random internet plebs to see if a significant portion of anyone informed on the issue is anti-HK and what their political allegiances are?

I gave you an example of something objective, which we have seen in action. For all I know, your opinion could stem from a group of 5 people on Facebook.
    I mean, your reaction to what I said proved what I said LOL Your defensive comment:
    But sure. Use this as a time to say "LIBRALS BAD, HURR!"
    Showed I was exactly right. You are now supporting a multibillion dollar corporation selling out to America's greatest adversary. Someone from Hong Kong making comments about what China is attempting to do is not political; it's human rights... but you don't care about human rights; you never did... You care about yourself.
    Also, I'm sure every presidential candidate has refused to condemn China because the HK protesters are all pro-Trump.
    AeandercheebajimmywolfHatefullvandal5627
    edited November 2019
    goozmania said:
    Aeander said:
    goozmania said:
    goozmania said:

I mean, your reaction to what I said proved what I said LOL Your defensive comment:
    But sure. Use this as a time to say "LIBRALS BAD, HURR!"
    Showed I was exactly right. You are now supporting a multibillion dollar corporation selling out to America's greatest adversary. Someone from Hong Kong making comments about what China is attempting to do is not political; it's human rights... but you don't care about human rights; you never did... You care about yourself.
    Also, I'm sure every presidential candidate has refused to condemn China because the HK protesters are all pro-Trump.
    I never said I was on Blizzard's side here. They fucked up and they are rightly feeling the heat for their actions. Anyway, I think I'm done with you. You aren't "exactly right" about anything, and I don't think you have the mental capacity for a proper conversation.
    Hatefullvandal5627
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Just a BS, damage control apology of little to no substance.  Of course, Activision is pretty much BS anyway.   

The 'apology' will provide cover for fans of their games to buy and play those games, while claiming Blzzzard sincerely regretted...it.   It being the unexpected trouble it brought down on their heads. 

But hey, Diablo 4 will be releasing in China Real Soon Now.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I like what I see about D4 so far. But what will make or break it for me are gameplay mechanics. Fingers crossed.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    By the way, are we going to let certain people constantly destroy Blizzard topics with their Hong Kong "movement"? Because I feel like going pro-china in those topics, just to bring balance to the Universe.
    NephethmcrippinsHatefull
    edited November 2019
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Utinni said:
    President of the company publicly apologized at the start of their biggest event and people still saying they bow to china LOL

Just trolls at this point , nobody is that stupid.

Not everyone bought the apology. Many saw it as an empty apology just to save their ass financially 

Calling everyone with different opinion stupid trolls.... /bravo
    I'm not sure what you actually expect. I expected an apology. I didn't expect them to start publicly flogging themselves like a masochistic Catholic. 

All I wanted was an apology and the announcement of a proper PC/console Diablo project. I got both. I'm fine with this outcome. 

How about unbanning Bliztchung?

How about unbanning the 2 casters?

That would be a start.

Saying "I am sorry" but keeping Blitzchung and 2 casters banned for 6 months... yeah it's an empty promise 

Can we remember that all 3 are still banned for 6 months.... yep

Empty
    Apology 

6 month bans for 8 words... yeah 

Weaksauce

You make a fair point, even if I place more value on an apology than you do.

I'm just trying to figure out where my responsibility should end.

I've been boycotting Blizzard since last year's Blizzcon. That was a customer contempt issue rather than a political one, and it was always intended to end after a proper Diablo reveal, but Blizzard just had to go and show its ass.

I suppose I could extend that to not buying any Activision Blizzard products for the duration of Blitzchung's ban. That seems like a fair reaction to the situation to me.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    goozmania said:
    Quizzical said:
    goozmania said:
    The only acceptable apology is pulling out of China until they end their suppression of human rights. Harvesting organs from living people in concentration camps IS NOT POLITICS. Conquering an independent democratic state and overturning their system of government IS NOT POLITICS. The American government has to work with China, as it is a global power. American companies are under no obligation to, and it is unethical for them to continue doing business there.
    Hong Kong is not and never has been an independent, democratic state.  Hong Kong was a British colony before they were turned over to China.

The only independent country that China has conquered and annexed in the last century or so is Tibet, and I don't think they were a democracy before that, though my attempts at looking it up failed.  That said, Tibet is another reason to criticize the government of China, and one that hasn't been as prominent as some others recently.
    Hong Kong was an independent, democratic state when it was a British colony. China agreed to leave it as such, for a time. It has had its own government, its own elections and its own economic policy.
    Independent , democratic , along with colony? I..don't know about that lol.

Hong Kong under Britain ..arms, was exactly like how Blizzard is with Activision. They hold the power, yes, but .. not really. Makes sense? :)
    Hatefull

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Hawkeye666Hawkeye666 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Blizzard is gone. This is Activision working very hard to beat EA at their own game.

Apology? Just more lipstick for the pig.
    [Deleted User]Dakeru
  • qtaqqtaq Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Screw you Blizzard and your apology and Diablo 4 and shadows or whatever the hell it is. I just dont understand why people pour money in company that dont give a rat ass about what you think or input you might have. I have bought ever expansion of WOW that ended with BFA. This company could not implode soon enough for me.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    after playing Lost ark in Ru , i dont know how to feel about D4 .....looks generic , slow and more like D3.5
    [Deleted User]
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Man I hope all you #Free Hong Kong people don't buy a lick of items from China...It literally makes zero sense if you do. They have a market that is you know, over 1/7th of the world population and that market dictates Freedom of Speech. People got no problem taking items with a made in China stamp not caring about the lack of Free Speech they got making it (or wages...) but man, banning a player damn so the company keeps in good eyes with the government. The buck stops there.

Either way the game looked good and Blizzard checked all the boxes this year it appears to appease fans.
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

DMKano said:

That was the weakest apology ever

God you are negative under every single post about every single thing. Maybe go outside for once
    IceAge
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    BizkitNL said:
    By the way, are we going to let certain people constantly destroy Blizzard topics with their Hong Kong "movement"?
    Constantly.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I'm seeing a generally positive reception towards this BlizzCon in various sites. But I always know where to find negative response to virtually any news: MMORPG.com comments section.

Never disappoints when it comes to a dose of negativity.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Blizzcon for me was just MEH. The cinematic team for D4 and WoW just are freaking amazing at what they do. I really would love to have that team just make a movie already. Stope releasing WoW Chronicle novels and instead make them into movies or tv show with like 30 seasons lol. 

Other than that Blizzard the company can go die in a fire!
    Cryomatrix
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    goozmania said:
    What I find so sad is your ignorance of the topic you are trying to discuss.

HK - Was NEVER a democracy
    The Player - KNEW he broke a rule and admitted it, now the ban has been lessened and he has been paid.
    It became a political issue - when the US government sent a letter to Blizzard.
    America has always been about differences of opinions, it is literally one of the things that make America unique - We can disagree and I don't have to kill you for voicing your opinion.

You are also woefully ignorant of the two "sides" here. I am 100% in support of HK gaining and maintaining its freedom. I also know there are far better ways to go about it than turning a gaming tournament into a political soapbox. The U.S. professional sports have already turned into a cesspool with this idiocy, let not let it happen here. Let me make it simple: Pro HK, anti politicizing games

Furthermore, and I pose this question to all of you human rights activists here, what have you ever done to support human rights? Have any of you ever pried your fat asses out of your gaming chair and done anything? I would bet not. I would put my resume here but it is pointless I will stop with:

There are literally thousands of opportunities out there if you really want to help, posting arrogant and ignorant posts on a gaming site is not one of them.

vandal5627

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This all is just so funny to me. Reading all these replies will take some time. I stopped playing AAA game companies games a year ago. Nothing they do surprises me anymore.
    [Deleted User]Phaserlight