Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Math "Problem"

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
Since answers may vary, use an average "ballpark" figure. It's not meant to be scientific ;)

1) How many games do you usually buy in any given year?

2) How many games do you play in any given year?

3) How many games do you "finish" in any given year.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    1. 0
    2. 0
    3. 1
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited November 2019
    I buy more than I play but then I do have a buffer which is there in case I start a game and find I do not like it. That's rare but 'just in case' there are 20 games on my steam list yet to play. :D
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    1. 0
    2. 0
    3. 1
    Could you expound a little bit? I wonder that you've "never" bought a video game nor played one, yet finished one ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    1. All of them

2. All of them

3. None of them
    AlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I am embarrassed at my frivolous spending and abysmal completion numbers and will therefore not answer this.
    SovrathScotAlBQuirkynewbismxkitaradGorwe
    Chamber of Chains
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I tend to buy 2-3 a year.
    I play about 20-25 different games a year.
    I have "finished" only a few, many of the games don't have a definitive ending.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    AlBQuirky said:
    1. 0
    2. 0
    3. 1
    Could you expound a little bit? I wonder that you've "never" bought a video game nor played one, yet finished one ;)
    F2P I guess, the crème da la crème of gaming. :)
    AlBQuirky
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    Like mostly everybody I buy more games than I play and do not finish all the game that I play. Still there are some mitigating factors.

When I was young it was very hard to buy games legitimately so I pirated a lot of games and I buy those when I remember one. A lot of games come as a part of a bundle that I bought for a specific game in that bundle as well. I also tend to buy a lot of indie games that seem interesting. And, of course, then there are those damned sales that you see and buy a game there because you heard it is good and it is at a really good discount but you are not really interested in it. I think I managed to keep that to a minimum the last couple of years.

I legitimately try to play everything I buy unless it is a part of some bundle that I bought for another game in which case I tend to give those away to friends who might be interested. Still some of the games aren't really enjoyable for me but I generally don't refund games because I didn't like them. And of course I might like a game but not enough to finish it. Then there are those games that don't really have a finish to speak of and those seem to suck the most of my time.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    I buy 3 - 5 games per year ( I think )

I play about 7 games per year as I will go back to early games.

I finish about 2 - 3 games per year.
    AlBQuirkyKyleranGorwe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    1. 3
    2. 4
    3. 1
    AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    1) I tend to buy games only on sale, most of which I never touch again.  (ark, and a few other cheap ones)
    2) The only games I've really played in the past 12 months have been PoE, SC 2, Civ V, and Entropia. I did buy wreckfest to play with my son and it is kind of cool, but doesn't really addict me. 
    3) I have never finished a single player game since i finished divinity original sin 2, but i played that game once and have no desire to ever play it again. 

Currently playing Entropia till my exam is over and then i tell myself i'll switch back to SC 2 and start streaming again. I stopped streaming so I can study and play entropia at the same time. 
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    cheyane said:
    I am embarrassed at my frivolous spending and abysmal completion numbers and will therefore not answer this.
    Totally understandable ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Sovrath said:

I buy maybe 1 or 2 "new" games a year (GotY editions, usually). I buy 10 to 20 "old games" also.

I play about 10 games a year, but like you, many of them are games I've already played. I'll play Skyrim, XCom 2, Fallout 3 & NV all at least once a year, sometimes more.

I complete/finish all of the old/repeat games in addition to possibly 1 "new" game each year.

It's the sales that get me every time ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    cheyane said:
    Pretty sure most of us here spend significant money on activites others would consider frivolous so you shouldn't be too concerned about being judged on game spending.

Unless of course you have @DMKano well surpassed ....

;)
    AlBQuirkySandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2019
    1) 1 to 3

2) 1 to 3

wait for it..

3) 1 to 3.

I almost always "finish" the games I play, which explains why I have a dozen or so titles unplayed from when I decided to broaden my horizons and bought a slew of different ones to try out.

Post edited by Kyleran on
    AlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:

I buy maybe 1 or 2 "new" games a year (GotY editions, usually). I buy 10 to 20 "old games" also.

I play about 10 games a year, but like you, many of them are games I've already played. I'll play Skyrim, XCom 2, Fallout 3 & NV all at least once a year, sometimes more.

I complete/finish all of the old/repeat games in addition to possibly 1 "new" game each year.

It's the sales that get me every time ;)
    Yeah, I've stopped really buying games until I finish some in my queue. The idea being, that if I just don't want to play them then I will just delete them. Some just aren't worth it or couldn't quite keep my attention.

Some are more intense and require more of me. I have Outward on my computer but I made the mistake of going to one of the cities, probably before I should have, and I can't seem to get back to my starter area. There are higher level monsters patrolling the area. Took me 45 minutes of game play to end up exactly in the same place that I started that evening.

Games like that require several hours of game play so I need to put time into them therefore can't buy any new games.

Though, there is a new horror game ...  :o B)
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh

around 5

btw 15-20

15-20 if I started a game I will finish it, don't matter how bad it is
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Around 20 games may be purchased and complete about 2 a year. That is a bad ratio. I should stop buying games.
    AlBQuirky

kitarad said:
    Around 20 games may be purchased and complete about 2 a year. That is a bad ratio. I should stop buying games.
    But the SALES! (or bundles)

For me, many times it's a game I've heard great tings about and I'll pick it up in a sale. So far, maybe 1 in 3 have caught my interest enough to play them through :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

edited November 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:

For me, many times it's a game I've heard great tings about and I'll pick it up in a sale. So far, maybe 1 in 3 have caught my interest enough to play them through :)
    Yeah I only buy them during sales but I am often buying games I may not play at all thinking I might find time to but inevitably they just lie there in the library and having paid for them I feel lousy. So that has got to stop.
    AlBQuirky

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2019
    1. 70
    2. 65
    3. 3

As you can see I don't play games to finish them at all. I play them as long as I am entertained, not reaching the end doesn’t mean I am dissatisfied with the game or my purchase at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkycheeba
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    1. 70
    2. 65
    3. 3

As you can see I don't play games to finish them at all. I play them as long as I am entertained, not reaching the end doesn’t mean I am dissatisfied with the game or my purchase at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    That's very true! Players can certainly enjoy games without finishing them. I know a couple of players that played (still playing?) Skyrim and never finished the main quest ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

edited November 2019
    kitarad said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:

Yeah I only buy them during sales but I am often buying games I may not play at all thinking I might find time to but inevitably they just lie there in the library and having paid for them I feel lousy. So that has got to stop.
    Exactly what I had to learn to do. At first it was great, put games on watch list, buy for cheap when on sale but three issues.

One, I play all games to completion whatever that means, which due to my preferences average at least 100 hours up to the all time high of 1200 hours for FO4.

Which means I actually play no more than 5 games a year at best so it didnt take long to build up a four or five year backlog.

Second, not long after buying FO4 and one expansion at a decent discount a GOTY edition came out with almost all expansions which very quickly sold for the same price as what I paid for original so I learned prices have no where to go but ever downwards.

Third, the Steam two hour return policy is only valid for two weeks after purchase and I have a few titles I'd like my money back on but since I missed the window no luck.
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    AlBQuirky

I play a lot in a year I just don't finish them. May be it is okay right to not finish , don't know why but I feel guilty over not finishing them. Some like Pillars of Eternity I just have the last fight which I got diverted from playing the White March expansion and never got around to finishing and it is taking up space in my drive.
    AlBQuirky

Gorwe said:
    3. Define "finish", please.
    I think of the RPGs I mainly play where the story has an ending, as do many looter shooters. Strategy and board games you can beat the AI. Puzzle games I'm unsure if you can ever beat them. Simulation games may be more difficult to define.

It is kind of tough, but a good question ;)
    Gorwe

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR