Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massdrop x Beyerdynamic DT-177X GO Review: Mind-blowingly Good - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion
imageMassdrop x Beyerdynamic DT-177X GO Review: Mind-blowingly Good - MMORPG.com

Every now and again, we come across something truly special in our hardware and tech coverage. Today is one of those days. There’s no burying the lede on this one: we’ve discovered what may just be the best headphone you could buy as a gamer than also sounds incredible for music. We’re talking about the Massdrop X Beyerdynamic 177X GO, a headphone that shocked us in more ways than one. This is a review you won’t want to miss.

Read the full story here

Comments

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196

be nice tro see a bigger ear cups for adults

Man I have big ears. How big are yours? These are about as comfortable a set of headphones as you will find. I've tried them all.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Lamb skin ear cups even, and metal build too, this is quality. If I hadn't already bought a set of B&O H9i I would have gotten these. Maybe I need a second pair just in case.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This is going to sound ridiculous but I hate big head phones and I also hate earbuds or anything directly in my ears. I wish I could find something that used to be like the Walkman headphones when I was a kid. Just small, super light, and comfortable.

My kid's xbox controller comes with headphones that are like what I want for the PC, but I can't find anything that is wireless and really small and light and doesn't seem like super cheap crap that will break in a week. But is still less than $50.

I would never spend $450 on a headphone unless it came with a robot maid or something equally as good that justified the extra $400.
    Life2vMendelKyleran
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 561

blamo2000 said:

This is going to sound ridiculous but I hate big head phones and I also hate earbuds or anything directly in my ears. I wish I could find something that used to be like the Walkman headphones when I was a kid. Just small, super light, and comfortable.

My kid's xbox controller comes with headphones that are like what I want for the PC, but I can't find anything that is wireless and really small and light and doesn't seem like super cheap crap that will break in a week. But is still less than $50.

I would never spend $450 on a headphone unless it came with a robot maid or something equally as good that justified the extra $400.

I used to hate big headphones too. And when I'm out and about I still do. But at my PC they make such a difference. I wouldn't spend this much on gaming headphones, but I have for ones when I used to gig. I needed the best for the monitors in an orchestra pit, so it was worth the money to me then.
  • KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68

cheeba said:

Man I have big ears. How big are yours? These are about as comfortable a set of headphones as you will find. I've tried them all.

I can't have anything resting on my ear, has to cup over them, that is why I like elongated ear cupos. I tried a set of round ear cups, and it almost killed me , never again ! :) Actually hurt my ear so bad I wrote tot he company and they sent me earbuds as a replacement.

I agree with you 100%. I cannot stand any headphones that sit on top of my ears. I have resisted buying portable headphones for that very reason.

I have found headphones to be incredibly personal items. These headphones seem to offer and incredible bang for the buck but I would never use them personally.
  • PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46
    As someone who owns a set of MMX300, I believe this review readily. The audio quality even on mine, which are somewhat cheaper at around 300-350 bucks is absolutely outstanding, worlds above anything I owned previously.
    So if you ask yourself whether those headphones will sound 450 dollars good, yes, yes they will. No doubt about it. Also having all cushions replaceable is great, it'll definitely allow me to keep these for a long time, which I fully intend to.

Also far and above the comfiest headphones I ever owned. So while I don't own the exact model, I can attest that Beyerdynamic produces some really great quality stuff. Best investment audio wise I ever made, hands down.
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Claiming to be a gaming or gaming capable headset with no mic???
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Ohsy said:

Note the use of headphones versus headset. You will need a separate mic on these.
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited November 2019

Ohsy said:

Note the use of headphones versus headset. You will need a separate mic on these.

I tried to go with a separate stand alone yeti + mic-less cans setup but without a proper boom, my mechanical keys were far too loud so I ended up returning. For a couple hundred $ less, I just recently picked up the Steelseries Arctis Pro with DAC due to their highly acclaimed mic and all around high fidelity capabilities. How would these compare, the general specs between the two seem very similar.
  • cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    If you need a boom mic.  These are the best I've tried.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• TablixTablix Member UncommonPosts: 51
    If this breaks your budget, I can highly recommend the older model the dt770 that are still widely available and 1/4 of the price. I did some reading on these Massdrop models a few months ago and found a few comments that the build quality was not exactly the same as buying the actual beyerdynamic dt1770. If anyone is tempted by these and spending that kind of money I would suggest a couple of hours reading on head-fi forums before making any purchases.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Ohsy said:

Ohsy said:

I tried to go with a separate stand alone yeti + mic-less cans setup but without a proper boom, my mechanical keys were far too loud so I ended up returning. For a couple hundred $ less, I just recently picked up the Steelseries Arctis Pro with DAC due to their highly acclaimed mic and all around high fidelity capabilities. How would these compare, the general specs between the two seem very similar.

I actually used that headset for a long time. The soundstage and detail on these are way, WAY better. The Arctis Pros are good. I liked them, but these blew me away. I'd trade the imaging and sense of space on these versus the surround sound on the Pros any day of the week.
    cheeba
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Ohsy said:

So, $450 *and* I'll need a microphone?  Incredibly hard pass, even if I could consider such an unnecessary expense.  That's about half an ambulance ride.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

Ohsy said:

So, $450 *and* I'll need a microphone?  Incredibly hard pass, even if I could consider such an unnecessary expense.  That's about half an ambulance ride.

Man, you're not kidding. I had to take one without having an option about five years ago and was SHOCKED when I got the bill. It's insane.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You can get amazing audio out of any $450 pair of headphones.  If you're in this price range for audio gear, then there's so much to choose from that it's honestly overwhelming.  These, those any pair really.

The trick is getting amazing audio out of sub $200 headphones, and I think that is accomplished extremely adequately by multiple companies.  Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Sony, Beyerdynamic... etc.

Personally, I absolutely love the ATH-M50X headphones for gaming because they have a very good full range of sound without being overly "Bassy" like a lot of headphones in the price range.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Mendel said:

Ohsy said:

Man, you're not kidding. I had to take one without having an option about five years ago and was SHOCKED when I got the bill. It's insane.
    Agreed and for some reason US heath insurance companies refuse to pay but a fraction of the cost.

God help you if a helicopter ride is necessary,  friends of mine had their daughter flown in once, bill was $10K plus, insurance paid like $2K and left them the rest.

They eventually negotiated it down to $5K and made payments for several years

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon