Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Delayed to At Least 2020 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained Delayed to At Least 2020 - MMORPG.com

Camelot Unchained has been delayed to at least 2020, according to a dev stream.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    They offered refund requests and they're open and transparent. Good for them.
    [Deleted User]Sovrathmcd6993tweedledumb99[Deleted User]gastovski1cheebaScotAgent_Josephnecrolockand 2 others.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Looking forward to this one.
    Sovrathtweedledumb99bcbullygastovski1Agent_Joseph
  • AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Shocking. Truly.
    tweedledumb99
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    18 months
    tweedledumb99Kylerangastovski1[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Offering refunds to those that want it is a classy move. Shows integrity/confidence in their product. So many take the cash and run.
    SovrathIselin[Deleted User]Slapshot1188ultimateduckmcd6993tweedledumb99DryxalineGdemamigastovski1and 4 others.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Herithius said:
    Offering refunds to those that want it is a classy move. Shows integrity/confidence in their product. So many take the cash and run.
    It's the main thing that has always set CU apart from the other crowdfunded MMORPGs in development.
    tweedledumb99KyleranNeptus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Arterius said:
    Herithius said:
    Yeah I have respect from them for giving me a refund but I have heard over the last few months they have been more stingy about refunds. I mean I have been contacted through Discord and this site asking how I got the refund because they aren't responding to their email or not giving them a refund in general. 
    I am one of the people who contacted you.  I emailed their support twice about a refund and never got a response.  At this point, it's probably a moot point anyway.  I'm sure I no longer have the same credit card that I used to back the game five years ago, so I'm not sure how they'd even process the refund.
    [Deleted User]tweedledumb99
  • DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Not surprised but also still looking forward to it. I'd like to start seeing more of it though, I havnt backed it yet but may do once more is shown.
    tweedledumb99
    Well, I just e-mailed their support for the third time asking about a refund on my $60 pledge.  Maybe I'll get an answer this time.
    Unbino[Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Not surprised but also still looking forward to it. I'd like to start seeing more of it though, I havnt backed it yet but may do once more is shown.

I don't back any games for a variety of reasons.

1) I'm mainly stingy
    2) I only play 1 game at a time, so if I back a game and i'm balls deep in another game, I won't switch it for another one.
    3) I don't really care about in-game perks and what not, I can buy any in-game perk after the fact anyway.
    4) I do enough gambling as it is, don't need to gamble on something else.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    edited November 2019
    Not a surprise to anybody I would hope. Lots of backers had concluded it wouldn't launch in 2019 months ago. CSE chose to wait until now to make it official for reasons. There were conflicting statements about a new launch date during the stream (first Mark would talk about it next year but then during the Q&A he talked pretty confidently about launch or open beta in 2020), but I see little reason to expect launch in 2020 either. Maybe 2021.
    tweedledumb99

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2019
    Iselin said:
    Herithius said:
    It's the main thing that has always set CU apart from the other crowdfunded MMORPGs in development.

The only "surprise" to many is that it took this long to announce. I said that it was, imo, very difficult to square the circle of MJ saying launch this year with what was being suggested. That, at least, has been resolved. For me though it still begs the question: "what did they think they were going to launch" back in June that led the team to say it would be out this year.

Especially if MJ is now agreeing that it won't be until 2021. What has changed to go from "released within 6 months" back in June to "no release for at least 14 months" just 4 months later? Worrying times. 

(And yes I have read the comments in the massivelyop link but .... well lets just say that the previous comments don't fill me with confidence.

This reminds me of an occasion in the US were the head of a Project Management team was fired when it was discovered that the project he was running would be late. The reason for the dismissal was twofold: either the person knew it would be late and had been the schedule look good / reporting that all was fine or b) they were incompetent. Either was deemed a good enough reason for dismissal.

Those are the vibes I get. 

For me though the "surprise" was when I discovered in this CU thread:
    https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/481004/would-you-have-backed-cu-if-you-knew-it-would-take-this-long/p4
    that back in June CU had only raised $4.7M of crowdfunding.

Which, as I said back then, pretty much - makes CU an investor funded game with some pre-orders.

I hope CU gets things sorted. I fear that either a) it is going to get harder to raise new funding or b) funding raised is going to increase still further the "requirement" to recoup the funding and go on to make a profit. Somehow. 

GdemamiKyleran[Deleted User]
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited November 2019
    Well, I just e-mailed their support for the third time asking about a refund on my $60 pledge.  Maybe I'll get an answer this time.
    Ping CSE_Brian on the CU discord, and ask him if theyve gotten your email(s), and what the status is (not that you asked for advice, but here it is).

Hope they speed up the process for you - if the refunds are open and you want one, it shouldnt be like pulling teeth to get one.
    Ping CSE_Brian on the CU discord, and ask him if theyve gotten your email(s), and what the status is (not that you asked for advice, but here it is).

Hope they speed up the process for you - if the refunds are open and you want one, it shouldnt be like pulling teeth to get one.
    OK, thanks!  Do you happen to have a link to their discord server?
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    The irony of these old-school style, indie MMOs is that half their target audience will be dead by the time they release.
    BruceYeeKyleranmeddyckAgent_Josephtweedledumb99Axxar
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    I’m totally fatigued with hearing about this game. When I first read about it years ago my interest was piqued now at this point I couldn’t care less. I still think they should change the name though to something more unique and exciting. Anything titled “unchained” is hokey.
    Two suggested names I see frequently on the CU FB page:

Camelot Unfinished

Camelot Unreleased
    KyleranmeddyckUnbinoShaigh
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Someone needs to come up with a term for the feeling of hopelessness + agony you get when a game you were once really hyped about stays in development too long.
    meddyck
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I predict another huge delay for Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, and Star Citizen to follow. Doesn't that put the FUN in crowdFUNding?
    Scot
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    edited November 2019
    Honest and cool devs! I have no problem waiting! <3 Scam Citizen could learn a few things from them!
    UnbinoAgent_Joseph

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286

I’m totally fatigued with hearing about this game. When I first read about it years ago my interest was piqued now at this point I couldn’t care less. I still think they should change the name though to something more unique and exciting. Anything titled “unchained” is hokey.

Two suggested names I see frequently on the CU FB page:

Camelot Unfinished

Camelot Unreleased

Camelot Unplayed
    Unbinomysticmouse

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2019
    While MJ is a great guy for offering refunds and all, it still is strange he can go from saying back in June the game might launch this year to end of 2020 or beyond.

After over six years of development the "cone of uncertainty" should have narrowed far more than it apparently has.

Also he's contradicting himself here by stating " that they won’t be rushing out the game just to get it out there" and then turning around saying any 2020 release likely won't be feature complete.

I translate this to they have enough money to continue development until the end of next year and if the game is "finished" great, but if not they may have to ship what is ready and deliver the rest later.

Just like SotA .......

I believe this will be the fate of most every indie MMORPG, launch once the money runs out...unless its SC because there appears to be no need for them to ever release  the money just keeps rolling in.
    gervaise1Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    to everyone complaining here: you want it to be like anthem, or what is your point?
    jimmywolf

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    to everyone complaining here: you want it to be like anthem, or what is your point?
    Would you rather have Anthem or nothing at all, ever? A bird in the hand you know.

What is your point again. 

:D 

gervaise1tweedledumb99

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35

1) I'm mainly stingy

2) I only play 1 game at a time, so if I back a game and i'm balls deep in another game, I won't switch it for another one.

3) I don't really care about in-game perks and what not, I can buy any in-game perk after the fact anyway.

Fair enough. I back titles that I beleive in or feel could be good not for in game rewards, not bothered about them. I don't necessarily play them much other than to log in a couple of times a year to see the progress being made but I don't like to pay more than I would for a finished title.
    ultimateduck

1) I'm mainly stingy

Fair enough. I back titles that I beleive in or feel could be good not for in game rewards, not bothered about them. I don't necessarily play them much other than to log in a couple of times a year to see the progress being made but I don't like to pay more than I would for a finished title.
    Ahh, so you aren't really so much a "backer" and more of a really early preorder.

;)
    gervaise1