Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Schiit Audio Hel High-Power Gaming DAC/Amp Review: Game On

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSchiit Audio Hel High-Power Gaming DAC/Amp Review: Game On

We’ve been exploring Schiit Audio’s line of DACs and headphone amps over the last two weeks all in the pursuit of today: Schiit Audio’s first gaming product. What happens when you take audio experts like the folks at Schiit and task them with creating something custom-designed for gamers? Hel happens. This is our review of the Hel High-Power Gaming DAC/Amp from Schiit Audio.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited October 2019
    So my top priority question has to be. . .

What is the proper way to pronounce this companies name? :D
    3dom
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    edited October 2019

So my top priority question has to be. . .

What is the proper way to pronounce this companies name? :D

Exactly like it sounds, Sh*t. If I recall correctly, the guy who founded the company was making a joke about something sounding like sh*t, and it turned into the company name. Now people can go around saying, "hey man, that sounds like schiit." You can tell they have a sense of humor.

That said you can't go wrong with their products, though at that price point a nice alternative would be the Sennheiser GSX 1000, as it has some great virtual 7.1 surround sound built into it as well. It might not be able to drive the most power hungry headphones though, but it can handle a Sennheiser HD700 with ease.
    FacelessSaviorHatefull
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Thanks for the info! :)
    Hatefull
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I wish i was an audiophile so i could experience the richness
    Hatefull
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    you don't need to be an audiophile to notice the clear difference between dac+amp vs built-in audio.
    even a soundcard produces a night and day difference in audio quality as long as you don't use potato headphones.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited October 2019
    If I was to mention this product by name only to someone with no context they would think it has something to do with a gamer who loudly and dramatically shat himself while his mic was open.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 83
    A long term review is needed for these things, my fulla2 started having pot knob volume issues after a year+. Since then, I've moved on to purchasing amp/dac with adc volume control knobs instead, like the fiio k3/k5
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I started swapping all of my gear from cheaper brands to Audio Technica this year and I couldn't be happier.

I bought an AT2020 mic and it's glorious.  It puts all headphone mics to shame, and it really should considering it only has one job.

Then I picked up a pair of ATH-M50x headphones and, again, I was blown away.

The only way these things could be better is if I had a DAC/amp combo, so something like this is definitely on my menu next.  Maybe even this particular model.
    GameByNightHatefull
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

H0urg1ass said:

I started swapping all of my gear from cheaper brands to Audio Technica this year and I couldn't be happier.

I bought an AT2020 mic and it's glorious.  It puts all headphone mics to shame, and it really should considering it only has one job.

Then I picked up a pair of ATH-M50x headphones and, again, I was blown away.

The only way these things could be better is if I had a DAC/amp combo, so something like this is definitely on my menu next.  Maybe even this particular model.

I may have to jump on that bandwagon as well
    H0urg1ass

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    I wish i was an audiophile so i could experience the richness
    You don't need to invest in much to get it. Just a nice pair of cans (headphones) and a decent USB DAC/AMP will get you in the general area you want to be in.

For example the Creative Sound BlasterX G1 7.1 Portable HD Gaming USB DAC and Sound Card which runs for about $29, or one of those lesser name brand $6-10 dollar ones. I recommend Creative at least for their software that goes with it though, makes a big difference.

You can even pick up a cheaper pair of V-Moda crossfades, or heck some open backed sennheiser 598s to top it off. Once you hear the difference, its hard to go back to crappy audio.

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    With the name like that this company is surely in my watchlist now. Thanks for the review, team!

Thank you for your time!