Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Civilization VI… It's not boring

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited October 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Playing a detailed turn base strategy game sounds boring and mundane to most viewers, but all it takes is study and you could have a game with HUGE replay ability for a long time that's actually very entertaining. 

About two weeks ago I wanted a game where I could sit back and click.  Stress free and play a game at my own pace.  Well, Civilization 6 is not stress free, infact trying to control the world using one of the five victory conditions is hard and action packed !....... The AI is extremely intelligent and EVERY country by itself has a motive at working diligently for one of the five conditions to win.  It actually competes against itself, attacking each other and spreading its own religion or being first in the race to colonize Mars.   

You start as just another kid on the block, at harder difficulties at a disadvantage.  If you play it smart you could totally avoid war completely the entire game, but even this could be a challenge because some will call you weak and threaten your peacefulness.  You WILL BE HATED, the best you could hope for is avoidance from being attacked by trading, offering gifts or deals, and most of all stay away from their borders because it will know what your planning ahead.  This part is amazing how it knows ! 

You can keep other civilizations at bay but you cant avoid your military.  This has to be kept strong because of unexpected barbarian attacks, their rootless and relenting and will stay aggressive until you locate and destroy there encampments.  You must stop EVERYTHING and search them out before too much damage is done.  You better have an army every place in your kingdom !

At random and not so random times other Leaders will pop up in dialogue and tell you where you stand or offer advice……. The game constantly knows ahead of time what your planning.  They say you can make great friendships where others will defend you but that’s to advanced for me at this time.  I see options but that’s to complicated.

Learning curve:  

Before I started, I watched a two hour "how to play video"…. It's almost necessary but I found it enjoyable as much as watching a good movie.  They don't contain spoilers or considered cheating because every campaign is hugely random generated.  You'll find winning is all in the small details of keeping EVERY city healthy so it's able to produce without working at a snails pace.

I started three times at standard difficulty, each learning by my mistakes.  The last I decided on a Military Domination Victory and changed to Science mid stream…. Bad idea !..... Other countries didn't forget the carnage I dealt and I didn't properly win them over, never the less I got destroyed. I allowed my strong military get weak in the process…. It still could have worked but I didn't know better.

Tonight I'll start again with an all out Domination campaign. I'll keep their cities instead of selling them and dominate the world !!!!...... I can't wait !    

Side note:  

Civ 5 is no longer considered better than 6, that's old news that's considered false or preference.   

Post edited by delete5230 on
Viper482Palebanealkarionlogpsychosiz1

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Ok.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    It may not be boring, but I found it lacking depth compared to Civ 3 and 2. Heck, I'd go so far as to say I prefer the original Civ: at least you got to play all the nations.
    Mendeldeniter

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I used to enjoy plopping down a city directly in the path of another civ's development, and then immediately giving that city to some other civ. In a turn or two those two civs would be at war. 
    Palebane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    So many people love this franchise but I never could get into it...I have a friend that plays it all the time but I get bored within 5 minutes.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Civilization is great, but its formula is getting stale.  I've never liked the cartoon character graphics in Civ 6.  I probably played Civ 3 most, followed by Civ 1.  There were two major variations of Civ 2, but neither held my attention for long.  Civ 4 was probably my favorite; the change from squares to hexes was much needed.  I still don't speak about WinCiv in polite company.

Phaserlight

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I watched some guy on YouTube get a pretty easy win by manipulating the shit out of the game mechanics for a religious victory.

I used to do that in Civ 5 too.  For some reason my favorite two victory conditions were religious and cultural.

I used to crush the AI with Egypt!
    Phaserlight
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Big advanve in Civ6, imo, was that the other civs do "respect" your past interactions. Previously it just didn't matter. In previous Civs you could have never attacked a civ, donated it with gifts, helped it and and ..... when you were approaching some victory condition in was all in with neighbours they had been constantly at war with for millenia.

It does, as a result, give the impression of being "easier" than previous civs if you are familiar with the franchise as a whole.

If not familiar a good way to learn, imo, is to put the game on easy - crank the difficulty right down, select 1 other civ and the smallest map. This should make for a "quick" game. Then progressively increase the difficulty, number of AI opponents and map size.
    H0urg1assPhaserlight
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

Side note:  

Civ 5 is no longer considered better than 6, that's old news that's considered false or preference.   

According to who? lol. You? Because this is absolutely not the popular opinion.
    Mendel
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited October 2019
    I have almost 400 hours in Civ V and still keep it in rotation. Civ VI I have just over 30 hours and it isn’t because it’s newer. 
    Cryomatrixdeniter

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

I'm quite interested in how Humankind will turn out, some fun features like mixing culture groups while playing thru the ages and create a mixed culture.

Palebane
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Palebane said:
    I have almost 400 hours in Civ V and still keep it in rotation. Civ VI I have just over 30 hours and it isn’t because it’s newer. 
    Maybe try Crusader Kings 2 .....
    Palebane
    gervaise1 said:
    Palebane said:
    Maybe try Crusader Kings 2 .....
    Paradox announced Crusader Kings 3 are in the works.
    Palebanegervaise1
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    H0urg1ass said:
    I watched some guy on YouTube get a pretty easy win by manipulating the shit out of the game mechanics for a religious victory.

I used to do that in Civ 5 too.  For some reason my favorite two victory conditions were religious and cultural.

I used to crush the AI with Egypt!
    I got owned a few times with religious victory before figuring out that it was a definite system to exploit for myself.
    H0urg1ass
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I play Civ 5 now and then. I can't take the Civ 6 graphics. 

And popular opinion is Civ 5 > Civ 6. 
    H0urg1ass
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Your title is incorrect.  Civilization in general is NOT boring.

Granted, I love strategy games, so my opinion is inherently biased :open_mouth:

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Why would you want to play anything else other than Civ 3 unless you want to play Civ 2
    Cryomatrix

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited November 2019
    Civ 6 is dubbed down, I have played every one, it is the worst of the series. The cartoony leaders, removing strategy options and replacing them with that adjacent city block nonsense.

For me Civ 4 was the best, a big graphical update while retaining the depth of thinking of the predecessors. I hate to think what we will see for Civ 7 as the series is now firmly on the journey the rest of gaming is, making every easier gameplay.
    IselinMendel
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've had it since it released and it has been uninstalled since a month after that. Civ V OTOH, I play almost every day.
    CryomatrixScotMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    edited November 2019
    I have 3600 hours on Civ V and 320 hours on Civ VI, at which point i uninstalled this unfinished mess of a game. Should have known better after Beyond Earth but i was blinded by a fame of this franchise that has defined my gaming career since early 90's.

Let's just hope Humankind will be a decent continuum to this genre.

Edit: Beyond Earth, not Beyond World.
    Post edited by deniter on
    Scotalkarionlog
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Well, I guess its good news so many believe 5 is better than 6.  Because I'm having an absolute ball with 6..... It gives me something to look forward to way down the road.

I say 6 is good because I asked in steam before I got it and a lot say its as good but different.  Several pages back on the forums someone also asked and same response.

I'm not sure if 6 is watered down or not, but because of the overall learning curve, I don't think I would want deeper, it's still heavy strategic.... call me a pansy  :p  
    ScotPalebane
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    sorry kid civ 5 is still better, you could say they are very diferent and that I agree, but civ 5 is still better, just accept it and hope the next one can do better
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    deniter said:
    I have 3600 hours on Civ V and 320 hours on Civ VI, at which point i uninstalled this unfinished mess of a game. Should have known better after Beyond World but i was blinded by a fame of this franchise that has defined my gaming career since early 90's.

by beyond world you mean beyond earth? if so then yes, the whole game also make you start as a loser who was fleeing, its a sad tone for start, diferent from civs games normally, you part from a tribe to trive to launch space shuttle, not to flee, but to expand
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    deniter said:
    I have 3600 hours on Civ V and 320 hours on Civ VI, at which point i uninstalled this unfinished mess of a game. Should have known better after Beyond World but i was blinded by a fame of this franchise that has defined my gaming career since early 90's.

by beyond world you mean beyond earth? if so then yes, the whole game also make you start as a loser who was fleeing, its a sad tone for start, diferent from civs games normally, you part from a tribe to trive to launch space shuttle, not to flee, but to expand
    Oh yes, Beyond Earth ofc. Thank you. :)
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Of course civ 6 is not boring to play, it's boring to watch other people play it.  :D
    delete5230Mendel
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Of course civ 6 is not boring to play, it's boring to watch other people play it.  :D
    This is why the whole of gaming is feeling the pull to be "arcade". If it does not look good streaming people won't but it. A shame as the entertainment and depth you can get out of a game has little to do with what you can see from someone else playing for 2 minutes.
    Palebane