Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not So MMO - OPINION: The Outer Worlds Is Exactly What We Need Right Now - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I must have been living under a rock, cause this is the first time I've even heard of this game.
  • CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Im at lvl 20 right now and its a fun game but there is a lot of problems with the game.

The game is super easy, even at the hardest difficulty the AI is dumb as hell. Once you get a rifle you can start shooting at enemies far away and they will run towards you and then decide to turn around and run back, while you continue to shoot at them.

Doesnt seem like your choices make any difference, on the first planet you make some big changes and nothing changes, eveeryone goes back like nothing happened, dont know if later it changes but its really sad when you make these interesting choices and nothing changes.

The crafting is really cool, I love being able to have 1 item level up with me but why does it take bits and not the armor or weapon parts you get from breaking down stuff in the first place.

I really hate how 90% of the house you cant enter. Im not a fan of having things in games if they are just for show, which kinda goes to my next point which is the plants look so amazing but they you would think they would have some kind of interaction from collecting them for healing or whatever else.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited October 2019
    Despite Microsoft acquiring them, seems like Obsidian delivered a lower budget "AA" title more in line with their original funding plan.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Palebane said:

Game sounds great. Odd marketing decision though with the Epic exclusivity. /shrug

It's not Epic exclusive, also on Windows store (free w/ Gamepass)
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited October 2019

Nickcs said:

I was originally going to wait for it to hit Steam - just because i like having my sh*t at one place... But i might aswell support em, straight away for making a no nonsense pure game.

With that, i mean the last bit in the above piece.

A certain Gekko said greed is good, but when greed reaches utter stupidity and actually manages to decline your buisness - perhaps its time for these companies to wake up.

Just buy it from wherever.

Soon GOG will be releasing a new client which will catalogue all your games across every service imaginable and will support download and installation all from 1 place.

Yeah, maybe it'll preload Origin/Epic/Steam/UPlay/whatevs, but we'll finally have a unified game library.

https://www.gogalaxy.com/
  • NonemaneNonemane Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Play it before you play Disco Elysium or this game will bore you out. The interesting dialog choices? Where you can choose like Intimidate, Lie, Persuasion and the only thing it changes is response but not the encounter, there are no significant branching paths like you come into place do the main mission and go on. Whats the point in factions, you can get with them all positive without damaging the other relations, and the only thing that gets you is restricted vendor stocks. The enemies are the same so far i played Marauders, Corporate people and the only diferent enemies are some fauna monsters in planets thats all. The shooting aspect is okay, the problem is i never use that slow time feature i just gun down everything, the companions are solid and have interesting companion missions. The problem is that it feels like not special just "good game" with all the stuff we already saw. I am not bashing it just stating that i expected somehing special. ( sorry for bad english )
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2019

Nickcs said:

I was originally going to wait for it to hit Steam - just because i like having my sh*t at one place... But i might aswell support em, straight away for making a no nonsense pure game.

A certain Gekko said greed is good, but when greed reaches utter stupidity and actually manages to decline your buisness - perhaps its time for these companies to wake up.

Soon GOG will be releasing a new client which will catalogue all your games across every service imaginable and will support download and installation all from 1 place.

Yeah, maybe it'll preload Origin/Epic/Steam/UPlay/whatevs, but we'll finally have a unified game library.

As someone who uses GoG Galaxy 2.0 I can tell you that it definitely preloads these launchers, it does so in the background though when you click on your game. It works rather painless and you won’t have to look at the other launchers/stores unless you want to buy something from them. Downside, not all launchers are supported (yet).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:

Nickcs said:

As someone who uses GoG Galaxy I can tell you that it definitely preloads these launchers, it does so in the background though when you click on your game. It works rather painless and you won’t have to look at the other launchers/stores unless you want to buy something from them. Downside, not all launchers are supported (yet).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I found GOGs launcher to be a bit buggy a few years back and they weren't great at fixing long running known issues.

It doesn't solve my issues with multiple launchers though, I do not want to create accounts on other launchers, these days I avoid creating any more accounts anywhere in order to reduce my online exposure.

I always checkout as a guest and when on rare occasions a vendor insists I create an account to proceed I back out and purchase elsewhere.

So looks like I'll be waiting for some future GOTY version on a discounted Steam sale

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I Cant get into this game at all. I played it for about 10 hours and i forced myself to play it. Its not a horrible game. IT just feels like a Fallout space game. The graphics are outdated as well. I dunno., I deleted it and wont be playing it anymore. Thats just my opinion.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    People seem to forget that Obsidian made this game before they were bought by Microsoft. To go from making PoE1/2 to this is a huge leap.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

Nickcs said:

As someone who uses GoG Galaxy I can tell you that it definitely preloads these launchers, it does so in the background though when you click on your game. It works rather painless and you won’t have to look at the other launchers/stores unless you want to buy something from them. Downside, not all launchers are supported (yet).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I found GOGs launcher to be a bit buggy a few years back and they weren't great at fixing long running known issues.

It doesn't solve my issues with multiple launchers though, I do not want to create accounts on other launchers, these days I avoid creating any more accounts anywhere in order to reduce my online exposure.

I always checkout as a guest and when on rare occasions a vendor insists I create an account to proceed I back out and purchase elsewhere.

So looks like I'll be waiting for some future GOTY version on a discounted Steam sale
    I should have been a bit more clear, I am using their new, in Beta, 2.0 client. But it does indeed not solve that issue I am afraid.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    DataDay said:

But in all seriousness, masculine, dare I say, ultra lesbianic, women are not a problem on their own. Its when nearly every single one of them is designed that way, it becomes a stereotype, a trope, and it actually removes variety from the characters you encounter in the game.

Sorry man, I just don't see it. They just seem like "women." But you are definitely welcome to your opinion.
    WagenManTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WagenManWagenMan Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Everywhere I look, rave reviews. I was pretty excited to get my hands on it.
    I've played 44 hours and although Mooncubus exclaimed...stop comparing it to fallout... it feels pretty much like fallout4 (not fallout 76 which I've never played). At it's core, it feels incredibly similar. Combat, quests, dialog, access desk computers for messages, etc. You are going to be doing the same types of activities and actions. Even many of the environments feel the same - abandoned buildings filled with...bandits and/or robots.
    The change in environments via space travel feels good. When I first stepped onto the ground breaker, I remember feeling a sense of awe and wishing games like X4 could have gotten this right which led me to wishing that Outer Worlds could have gotten some actual ship control in. I felt some disappointment watching my little ship icon speed across the map.
    I do like it, I just feel like they didn't do enough to differentiate it from their past fallout development experiences. I imagine for the masses of game consumers, something this similar IS exactly what they wanted. I'm probably the minority in being disappointed.
    *I don't know how people like MacAllen finish it in 23 hours. There is so much to see and appreciate and corners to explore. At 44 hours I know I'm not even close to finishing.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited October 2019

Just have to see it for myself.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I just spent 30 minutes watching videos and reading up on this game and it's fucking amazing.

SOLD.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Love the part about being able to play in different ways and get through it. But single-player? Oh well, I've been in so many MMOs where nobody cares to play as their characters or bother to do anything but rush around silently killing things to level up as fast as possible, having NPCs that have conversations that change how the game progresses would be a big improvement.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Why did we need 3 separate articles on one game? This site has literally nothing going for it anymore.
    This isn't even an MMORPG. You know the MMO genre is in a drought when MMORPG.com has to write 3 separate articles on a single player FPSRPG that isn't even good.

Beat it in 20 hours, game provided 0 incentive to explore off the beaten path.
    Exactly what we needed RIGHT NOW indeed.

PS. Anyone who wants to play the game, but doesn't want to shell out 80$ for 20 hours of mediocre entertainment. Xbox Game Pass PC beta is 1$ for the first month, The Outer Worlds is included in this.

Beat the game, unsubscribe. Win.
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I wasn't really expecting anything spectacular with this game and that's what I got. A big yawn really :(
    F2Plague said:
    Why did we need 3 separate articles on one game? This site has literally nothing going for it anymore.
    This isn't even an MMORPG. You know the MMO genre is in a drought when MMORPG.com has to write 3 separate articles on a single player FPSRPG that isn't even good.

Beat it in 20 hours, game provided 0 incentive to explore off the beaten path.
    Exactly what we needed RIGHT NOW indeed.

PS. Anyone who wants to play the game, but doesn't want to shell out 80$ for 20 hours of mediocre entertainment. Xbox Game Pass PC beta is 1$ for the first month, The Outer Worlds is included in this.

Beat the game, unsubscribe. Win.
    Hey at least they weren't yet more Blizzcon articles. (MOP had like 10 on their front page at one point)

Another great way to save money is to wait for the inevitible Steam sale(s)

Will be under $19.99 in no time.
    F2Plague

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Arterius said:
    I had to have surgery and could no longer go with my wife, daugther, and mother-in-law to Flordia. So I am home alone for an entire week. I am hoping to beat the Outer Worlds in that time. I am about 13 hours in and I am loving the game.
    Hope everything went well with that.  B)
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo