Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did CCP aka EvE developer go bankrupt?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Did CCP aka EvE developer go bankrupt?  I learned recently of the buyout by BDO's publishers.

Can you all explain what had happened? I thought EvE was a major successful sandbox mmo. What could have happened? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

bcbully

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Betteridge's Law of Headlines says no.

According to this article, they paid $425 million to acquire CCP:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/325971/Pearl_Abyss_acquires_EVE_Online_creator_CCP_Games_for_425_million.php

That sure doesn't sound like a bankruptcy to me.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    It is doing very well, so the owner decide to sell it and cash out.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2019
    AAAMEOW said:
    It is doing very well, so the owner decide to sell it and cash out.

Owners...they had taken on an investor group who funded their many outside of EVE debacles and those folks started looking for a buyer a few years back to recover some of their investment.

I'm guessing $425M more than covered the spread, but it might have still been a bargin bin transaction for PA as early reports in 2016 had the company valued at $995M

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-09/eve-online-owners-said-to-weigh-game-maker-sale-after-approaches

bcbully

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Good thing their only competition "SC"is run by an incompetent developer so Eve can still turn a good profit for several more years.However if and when SC ever gets their act together then imo Eve will die out and good thing,imo it is severely outdated in all of it's design.
    Alverant

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Oh ... great.

That how Bioware was ruined.

So when will EVE get microtransactions now ?
    rawfox
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Kind of.
    CCP funded a couple of games that bombed, and EVE even if still profitable wasn’t making the same money it used to.
    So the owners decided to cut the losses and sell.

Oh ... great.

They already have it, in case you missed it.
    And personally I don’t mind BDO monetisation, so it’s not a big deal IMO.
    They just need to fix the ganking of new players, that’s the priority.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    CCP funded a couple of games that bombed, and EVE even if still profitable wasn’t making the same money it used to.
    Well, @Kyleran did stop his 23,109 accounts awhile back ;)
    KyleranTEKK3Nbcbully

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited October 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    I told them when I left they were going to miss us...err we... err me..yeah that's it.

So many voices in my head  :#

;)
    someforumguyAmathebcbullyAlBQuirkyElendengelXarkocheebalaxie

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> So many voices in my head >>>

Choir boy ;-)

Have fun

PS:
    Astra Telephatica ? Yes ?! Please come quickly. We have one of your numbers located. Hears all kinds of voices in his head. You have 24 hours before I call in the Inquisition witchhunters ....

KyleranbcbullyAlBQuirky
    TEKK3N said:

Oh ... great.

Oh, so they already started killing it, before selling it ? Not a bad idea then.

TEKK3N said:

Oh ... great.

Oh, so they already started killing it, before selling it ? Not a bad idea then.

Naw, EVE players have never minded a bit of P2W, in fact microtransactions helped them reach record revenues a few years back despite declining sub numbers.

Their continuing poor game design changes have done them more harm as they have been flailing about wildly for a while now.

AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    That’s it!
    Why I never thought about that?

Jokes aside, I had 3 accounts and I wasn’t even an hardcore player.
    EVE kind of requires you having multiple accounts, whether you box or not.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyAbhorer

Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:

Oh ... great.

Naw, EVE players have never minded a bit of P2W, in fact microtransactions helped them reach record revenues a few years back despite declining sub numbers.

Their continuing poor game design changes have done them more harm as they have been flailing about wildly for a while now.
    Agree.
    There was a time when high Sec was actually safe, I don’t know why they turned it into Low Sec.
    Maybe because everyone was playing in High Sec, and they thought this way they would force people to move out?
    If that’s the case, that was short sighted.

If they fix High Sec it solves 50% of their problems IMO.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    That’s it!

how that work? why was that a requirement? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    That’s it!

Usually you needed a cloaked scout scouting before you.  On another account. More than one if you can do it, covering all stargates. They locate gate camps that try to kill your valuable ships. They scan down cloaked enemies waiting in hiding.

And another ship - valuable because of its modules or full of valuables - flying behind it and/or covered by the other scouts. That other "ship" can also be a convoy of two dozen freighters carrying the valuables of a whole player corporation. Or two dozen mining ships with ore transports.

Also you use that cloaked scout to see if you can undock from a station with your expensive ship(s) without your enemies waiting outside to kill your ship(s).

Have fun

KyleranAlBQuirky
    edited October 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    That’s it!

Because how the SP queue system works, if you want to play different roles, it’s way faster to have several accounts, rather than wait years to level the right skills for the alternative play styles.

For example, if you want to play an Industrial and an Explorer on the same account, first you need to learn the industrial skills and then the explorer skills.

With 2 accounts you can level the Industrial Skills and the Explorer Skills each in a different account, and learn you Explorer Skills in half the time it would have taken on a single account.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    edited October 2019
    Erillion said:
    TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    That’s it!

Usually you needed a cloaked scout scouting before you.  On another account. More than one if you can do it, covering all stargates. They locate gate camps that try to kill your valuable ships. They scan down cloaked enemies waiting in hiding.

And another ship - valuable because of its modules or full of valuables - flying behind it and/or covered by the other scouts. That other "ship" can also be a convoy of two dozen freighters carrying the valuables of a whole player corporation. Or two dozen mining ships with ore transports.

Also you use that cloaked scout to see if you can undock from a station with your expensive ship(s) without your enemies waiting outside to kill your ship(s).

Have fun

There were times I would lead the bad guys away with 100M Isk mining barge so while they were gleefully killing it I was sneaking 3B to 5B ISK in ore or ships during the distraction.

Just part of the cost of doing business and hey, I 'care' about keeping the wolves happy, it's why they call me a 'carebear.'

;)
    bcbullyAlBQuirkykitarad

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:
    TEKK3N said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Kind of.
    That’s it!

Have fun

There were times I would lead the bad guys away with 100M Isk mining barge so while they were gleefully killing it I was sneaking 3B to 5B ISK in ore or ships during the distraction.

Just part of the cost of doing business and hey, I 'care' about keeping the wolves happy, it's why they call me a 'carebear.'

;)
    If I can’t do that in my mmoRPG I don’t want play it.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    I dont think EVE really qualifies as a MMORPG.

As a MMO, sure.

But RPG ? Its really more running a business.
    Zalgotas
    There is a TON of roleplaying in EVE.

Plus a spy game.

An economic simulation.

A PvP slaughterhouse.

And a MMO. With "massive" being not just a word when you are in the middle of a 4000 player ship battle.

Have fun
    AlBQuirky
    Erillion said:
    There is a TON of roleplaying in EVE.

Plus a spy game.

An economic simulation.

A PvP slaughterhouse.

And a MMO. With "massive" being not just a word when you are in the middle of a 4000 player ship battle.

Have fun
    I'd put forth EVE is the ultimate RPG actually, at times I was so immersed I thought I really was a Minmitar ore miner fighting for my livelihood in the deepest reaches of space......

and not just a random cube warrior which is the reality of my life.

EVE...you had to be there.

;)

ErillionAlBQuirkycheeba

Kyleran said:
    ...you had to be there.
    Apparently.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Kyleran said:
    ...you had to be there.
    Apparently.
    At some point in time I was a wing commander in a war out in (computer) space for 20 hours a day for weeks. Commanding bombers and battleships. ASCN versus BoB.

You had to be there ;-)

Have fun
    AlBQuirky
    edited October 2019
    Erillion said:h
    Kyleran said:
    ...you had to be there.
    Apparently.
    At some point in time I was a wing commander in a war out in (computer) space for 20 hours a day for weeks. Commanding bombers and battleships. ASCN versus BoB.

You had to be there ;-)

Have fun
    I actually was there, flying with the ASCN in the BOB war.

I was a noob at the time but as a mission runner I was part of a fleet of about 100 Ravens (back when they used to fit long range cruise missles) whose mission was to bombard POS shields relentlessly.

Did that every evening for a month or three it seemed, got a bit burned and took a break as I recall.

My corp at the time Dirt Nap Squad ended up in control of a station as a reward which they traded to another for a MOM.

See, over 10 years later yet I have such intense memories of this and dozens of other incidents.  Most other MMORPGS I barely remember playing.
    AlBQuirky