Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Impressions

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Impressions

Star Wars: The Old Republic – Onslaught released this past week. With it comes new story content, planets, flashpoint, operation, gearing system, and other quality of life features. It sounds like a lot but is it enough for a returning player to stick around once the new story content has been completed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i quit playing after i completed all the stories. i was very disappointed when they no longer used the class stories and just made it the same for all. thats what made this game different from the rest.
    JeroKaneLastlaughlolPalebaneAgent_JosephHarikenGorweOctagon7711Tindale111foppoteejohn25301and 2 others.
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145

Moxom914 said:

i quit playing after i completed all the stories. i was very disappointed when they no longer used the class stories and just made it the same for all. thats what made this game different from the rest.

It's not feasible and possible for them to make new storylines for every class, too much work, not enough manpower, not enough funding.
    MaurgrimGorwe[Deleted User]necrolockbreygonDr_BinksValdheimViper482
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    edited October 2019
    It is important to keep in mind that part of the way through development of this expansion they temporarily lost a huge amount of their development team to Anthem, and I am pretty sure they had to finish the rest of this expansion with those limited resources. I read that almost all of the people that were reassigned to anthem are now back on SW:TOR, so things that were perhaps originally intended for this initial release that they were unable to include, may now make it into the next phases of content for this expansion cycle.

I was honestly skeptical about re-subbing for this expansion after reading about all of that stuff as I did not want to be disappointed, but I am glad I gave it a chance because given the circumstances they had to operate under, they put together a really good expansion, and it only makes me sad to think what they may have been able to do with the expansion, had Anthem not happened.
    PalebaneazarhalOctagon7711foppoteeDr_BinksValdheimLighttip
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Moxom914 said:

It's not feasible and possible for them to make new storylines for every class, too much work, not enough manpower, not enough funding.

i understand that. it just became another stale mmo after the stories. raids were ok but not enough to keep me playing. tried to come back several times but now the game is just dated. honestly, i lost the desire to play mmo's altogether. have switched to console shooters and single player games and am having more fun than ever.
    Gorwe
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Just subbed for 4 euro a month, to me its no money to try the new expansion.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Moxom914 said:

And thats really to bad. The class stories are the best thing in the game.
    GorwefoppoteeValdheim
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Dragnelus said:

Not expansion, It's DLC lite.
    Ozmodan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I played SWTOR extensively from release until lack of development caused me to drop my sub almost 2 years ago I think. I came back for this expansion (and didn't appear to miss much while away). So far I've taken my lvl 70 Sith Sorceror through the first new planet, and my feelings duplicate the comments of the article (both good and meh). It was certainly fun to see voice acted cut scenes with my character again and new story lines, but the game isn't grabbing me wholeheartedly like it did for the first few years of it when I was playing many alts. I started a new lvl 1 character with the Nautolan species as that was new, but even going through the game at the start isn't grabbing me like it did originally. I think it's simple human nature making it hard to relive past excitements after you've moved on to something else. A bit of business 101 - once you have customers in place work as hard to keep them as you did to get them!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I play this game about once a year. It's ok but the class stories are what made the game really standout. Now I see why games offer level advancements. Once you've played through a game with several characters, it's hard to go through it again even with a a new race or class.
    foppoteejohn25301Gorwe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited October 2019
    I wasn't really in a MMO/SW mood when the expac released, but I ended up subbing again to try Onslaught anyway.

My initial reaction to the expansion was that it was a bit like Shadow of Revan (which I personally consider to be cheaply made), but once on Onderon it actually picked up and it felt higher quality than SoR while being of similar size and with more replayability.

I really enjoyed going through the Loyalist Imp side with my Sith Warrior. I also realized that I missed being able to act like a proper Sith with that character. The story elements reminded me a lot of the base game stories, there are many references too, which was already almost gone by the first expansion (Rise of the Hutt Cartel).

I'll have to play the Republic side on my Smuggler (a Republic Loyalist) eventually, but I decided to play my other characters as they are too far away to do the new content and I want to try the Saboteur stuff eventually.

I like that mobs drop gear that are actually upgrades to what I'm wear again (well, when that's working).

It also put me in a MMO/SW mood. 
    Valdheim
    Zenislav said:

Dragnelus said:

How did you even managed to subscribe for 4 euros? We are talking about 30 days sub right?
    Put language on Russian (account) get a ru vpn, get the sub on the swtor website for 299 rub, thats 4 euro :)

I did it with my EU account, which I have since launch.
    [Deleted User]PalebaneCryomatrix

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited October 2019
    only 2 hotbars on those screenshots (well 3 if u count right and left hotbars) they did an overhaul or something? because last time i played i needed like 5 hotbars
    Dragnelus said:
    4 euro how so? isnt like 12?
  • breygonbreygon Member UncommonPosts: 12
    The "file verification" bug is old news. It is related to the BitRaider Straming Client that they use for P2P file transfer, which is supposed to speed up downloads (I never saw any real difference.) You can disable it, but, be warned you will end up having to reload the entire game and you will likely lose you custom settings.

Here is how you get rid of BitRaider.

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
    , "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
    Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.
    Dr_Binks
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Gorwe said:

Moxom914 said:

But then again, the market is crowded and (highly) competitive. You've gotta invest in things that make you unique. But SWTOR is in a very unique place where it don't really need to invest because it is a money printing press(when speaking about % based RoI).

Your statement is some what true BUT You need to make money on that investment! Everything that goes into making a class story line cost quite a bit of money, and when you do the cost to income analysis the number HAVE to work to get your funding and the last time I checked SWTOR isn't selling ship jpg's like CIG to get their funding.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Dragnelus said:

Zenislav said:

Dragnelus said:

How did you even managed to subscribe for 4 euros? We are talking about 30 days sub right?

Put language on Russian (account) get a ru vpn, get the sub on the swtor website for 299 rub, thats 4 euro :)

Oh so you're cheating the system then!!!! Thanks for making the sud cost more for me and the other that play the game honestly!
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I have never forced myself to try to love a game harder than this one, but every time I tried to force it I felt chaffed and unsatisfied.

I could make an entire YouTube channel centered around what I don't like about this game with a good 20 videos full of content.  Everything from the PVP, to the ship combat to the IKEA maze like planets just frustrate and anger me with thousands of little details in between that, in other games, would be a minor annoyance, but when coupled with getting the big pieces wrong they really compound.

It's like you go to a great high-end steakhouse and your steak comes out and it's amazing, but the side dishes are lacking a bit.  They're not terrible, but you're chowing down on that steak so it's not really a huge concern.  In the end you don't remember the side dishes being below average.

But if the steak is terrible, then below average sides just make you even more angry.

That's how SWTOR felt to me.  The steak was bad at the core, and a lot of the sides were barely passable.  I kept adding A1 sauce, salt and pepper and forcing another bite and saying "But this is a premium experience, so I must be wrong here.  It can't be the game!"

But no, it was the game.

It's the single biggest gaming disappointment of my entire life and the worst part is that, like some kind of Stockholm syndrome patient, I go back every two years, install it and play for a couple weeks after I've convinced myself "It wasn't that bad, I was too harsh on it!"
    HazenXIII
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161

H0urg1ass said:

I have never forced myself to try to love a game harder than this one, but every time I tried to force it I felt chaffed and unsatisfied.

I could make an entire YouTube channel centered around what I don't like about this game with a good 20 videos full of content.  Everything from the PVP, to the ship combat to the IKEA maze like planets just frustrate and anger me with thousands of little details in between that, in other games, would be a minor annoyance, but when coupled with getting the big pieces wrong they really compound.

It's like you go to a great high-end steakhouse and your steak comes out and it's amazing, but the side dishes are lacking a bit.  They're not terrible, but you're chowing down on that steak so it's not really a huge concern.  In the end you don't remember the side dishes being below average.

But if the steak is terrible, then below average sides just make you even more angry.

That's how SWTOR felt to me.  The steak was bad at the core, and a lot of the sides were barely passable.  I kept adding A1 sauce, salt and pepper and forcing another bite and saying "But this is a premium experience, so I must be wrong here.  It can't be the game!"

But no, it was the game.

It's the single biggest gaming disappointment of my entire life and the worst part is that, like some kind of Stockholm syndrome patient, I go back every two years, install it and play for a couple weeks after I've convinced myself "It wasn't that bad, I was too harsh on it!"

You basically just read my mind. IDK why I've been subbed since launch, but I have. From even beta, I've told myself "This game will be great one of these days! I'm sure of it!" but it still isn't. I miss SWG.
    H0urg1ass
    Warlyx said:
    only 2 hotbars on those screenshots (well 3 if u count right and left hotbars) they did an overhaul or something? because last time i played i needed like 5 hotbars
    Dragnelus said:
    4 euro how so? isnt like 12?
    Put language on Russian (account) get a ru vpn, get the sub on the swtor website for 299 rub, thats 4 euro

image: https://forums.mmorpg.com/resources/emoji/smile.png

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/484897/star-wars-the-old-republic-onslaught-impressions#DdQs1Z7I0m2rGQRC.99

Dr_Binks said:

Dragnelus said:

Zenislav said:

Dragnelus said:

Oh so you're cheating the system then!!!! Thanks for making the sud cost more for me and the other that play the game honestly!
    System fucks with me, I fuck with the system :O
    Gorwe

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited October 2019
    Dr_Binks said:

Gorwe said:

Moxom914 said:

But then again, the market is crowded and (highly) competitive. You've gotta invest in things that make you unique. But SWTOR is in a very unique place where it don't really need to invest because it is a money printing press(when speaking about % based RoI).
    Your statement is some what true BUT You need to make money on that investment! Everything that goes into making a class story line cost quite a bit of money, and when you do the cost to income analysis the number HAVE to work to get your funding and the last time I checked SWTOR isn't selling ship jpg's like CIG to get their funding.
    Onslaught is the closest content to the base game class flavor since the game released. They did a better job at it than in Rise of Hutt Cartel or Shadow of Revan. You even get to to regain your base game faction ending status* as long as you aren't a Saboteur and rejoin officially your faction instead of staying independent.

*or something close to it as the BH and Smuggler didn't really have a title in their respective faction at the end of the base game, but they do now.

They don't the money to make full different class stories (wouldn't make sense with the state of the game since SoR anyway), but they can write things so class distinction is back.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If Anthem were more successful, I'd think about coming back.
    But with Anthem not looking too great, combined with Disney's inability to.........(OMG, I can't even find the words for Disney Star Wars right now)....., The franchise itself appears to have lost it's license to print money in merch. I seriously doubt the long term viability of SWTOR right now.
  • RhoDawgRhoDawg Member UncommonPosts: 34

Moxom914 said:

You are missing some of the best stories after the class stories, KOTFE and KOTET questlines are great, and you can play each at least twice, once for good or evil. Definitely worth the time especially if you took the time to do all 8 class stories.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited November 2019

Moxom914 said:

Posters like you really just baffle me.

So first you WTF'd his post which simply explained a feature he enjoyed is no longer in the game and that disappointed him to a point he no longer plays. You followed that with Captain Obvious comments in a reply, as if this was supposed to make him resub.

So what exactly is your point here? Should he still play it just because they don't have the manpower to maintain something he enjoyed? Should he not be disappointed? Is he wrong? Take one for the team? What exactly is your issue here?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • LosingplayerLosingplayer Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    This was good write up, i play this before long time ago.