Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think the MMO genre is going to crash like the gaming industry did a few decades ago?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Do you think the MMO genre is going to crash like the gaming industry did a few decades ago?
Why or why not?
And what sort of impact would a MMO Industry crash have?

For me personally, MMOs makes up probably 80% of my gaming. A major crash would be devastating to my type of gaming, but it's already kind of lacking as is. Most Console games and their PC equivalents no longer interests me besides a few here and there. So I play mostly MMOs. But that's quickly going downhill. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Kyleran

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    The genre is a dumpster fire. Play older games, like a lot of people are doing.
    NildenHarikenKyleranAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    It crashed several times, each time getting lower.  Last was Asian cash shop grinders, I don't think even that works any more. 

I'm confident will hit the mark on a crowd funded mmorpgs at some point.  
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Going to crash?  Or already did?

For all the naysaying that I see around here, as I see it, Astellia is the best new MMORPG to launch since Neverwinter.  It may not be a great game, but still, that's six years.  And there weren't a whole lot of other high profile MMORPG launches in that time, either.
    Ridelynn
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    DMKano said:
    Quizzical said:
    Going to crash?  Or already did?

For all the naysaying that I see around here, as I see it, Astellia is the best new MMORPG to launch since Neverwinter.  It may not be a great game, but still, that's six years.  And there weren't a whole lot of other high profile MMORPG launches in that time, either.

Have to disagree 1000% here.

There are much better mmorpgs than launched since Neverwinter than Astellia

As much as I dislike BDO- it launched after Neverwinter and is an infinitely better mmorpg than Astellia.

Astellia is a D tier game at best. There are so many better mmorpgs around.
    Sure, there are better MMORPGs out there.  But not recently launched ones, which is my point.

I have a grudging respect for how effective Black Desert has been at milking the PVP whales.  I feel about the same about Farmville and Candy Crush.  But as a game, it's just not fun to play.  Too much time running back and forth, and combat is awful.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Lets see how the big companies do first
    Amazon has plans for a lotr mmo pearl abyss has its own mmo coming and others.
    Just don't put your faith in crowdfunded mmos tht take 10 years to release
    I don't know about amazon but PA is working in 4 games one of them is an mmo project omega or something supposed to be made with a brand new engine and with lessons learned from bdo ;)
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited October 2019
    MMORPG wasn't just game (like 1980s) , it's also a services , so i don't think it will crash. Unless internet close down

what difference here is MMORPG have comunity and social , even is all official developers close down they server , private pirate will find a way .

If the crash you mean "there are no more new MMORPG in develop" or "player won't pay for new MMORPG anymore boo" then i think it's a good sign .
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited October 2019
    It crashed long time ago.
    It wasn’t just a simple crash, but a full head on collision.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    As pointed out by everyone, there isn't really anything left to actually crash, now.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Do you mean video game crash in 1983?

I think it share some similarity.  The 1983 crash is due to over saturation of games, and people moving to play PC games many are pirated.

The MMORPG market is very saturated right now.  There are already so many MMORPG out there, it is hard for new MMORPG to compete.  And there is competition from other genre which people rather play like fortnite or minecraft.
    Hawkaya399
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Maybe you missed it but the biggest thing to happen to MMORPGs in years is Classic World of Warcraft a 15 year old game.

It crashed hard.
    delete5230Hariken

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    Maybe you missed it but the biggest thing to happen to MMORPGs in years is Classic World of Warcraft a 15 year old game.

It crashed hard.
    Which is the point, many people are still playing old MMORPG.  It is unsustainable to keep releasing new MMORPG, until the old ones die out.  But many are still hanging there and have a decent population.

The people who like MMORPG are most likely already playing MMORPG, and the people who liked mmorpg but dont' play it is probably really picky.  So it is hard for new MMORPG to compete.
    Hariken
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Remali said:
    Lets see how the big companies do first
    Amazon has plans for a lotr mmo pearl abyss has its own mmo coming and others.
    Just don't put your faith in crowdfunded mmos tht take 10 years to release
    Yall not talking about this right
    https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=51722&ismb=1

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

It seems PA new mmo changed name from project omega to project cd and its not that kids game :P
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    AAAMEOW said:
    Nilden said:

It crashed hard.
    Which is the point, many people are still playing old MMORPG.  It is unsustainable to keep releasing new MMORPG, until the old ones die out.  But many are still hanging there and have a decent population.

The people who like MMORPG are most likely already playing MMORPG, and the people who liked mmorpg but dont' play it is probably really picky.  So it is hard for new MMORPG to compete.
    Hold on a second.
    Classic WOW count as a new MMORPG, it didn’t exist up until 2 months ago.
    Players had to beg Blizzard to make it.

There is still desire for new MMORPGs, it’s just that developers aren’t making the ones people want.
    All we get is the usual crap like Astelia Online, obviously people ain’t gonna play this rubbish.

Of course we should also point out that MMORPGs are a niche genre, WOW was just a fluke, we never gonna see that kind of numbers for an MMO.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    That will depend if games like Crowfall, Camelot unchained, Ashes, and Star Citizen ever launch.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    MMOs are not a separate industry from other games. It's a shift, not a crash.
    Mendeljdlamson75

TEKK3N said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Nilden said:

It crashed hard.

Hold on a second.

There is still desire for new MMORPGs, it’s just that developers aren’t making the ones people want.
    All we get is the usual crap like Astelia Online, obviously people ain’t gonna play this rubbish.

Of course we should also point out that MMORPGs are a niche genre, WOW was just a fluke, we never gonna see that kind of numbers for an MMO.
    I dont' know the number but I believe class wow is around 60 million to make.  If you account inflation it'll cost like 100 million to make a game like wow now...  Of course new mmorpg can't compete with classic wow.  Not to mention wow is being developed for 15 years.  So are games like GW2, ESO, Final fantasy.  Those are games that have been developed and maintained for many years.  It is hard for a new MMORPG to compete with them.

The mmorpg pie is only so big.  If a new mmorpg come out and is really good, it'll take away players from old MMORPG.  Many players left Star war galaxy for wow.  Many people left wow for warhammer online, until they realize warhammer online sucks and they go back to wow...
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Vrika said:
    MMOs are not a separate industry from other games. It's a shift, not a crash.

Well when the shift is to stop making MMOs what's the difference?

We have a handful of crowd funded MMOs and a MMO from Amazon and maybe some Asian game like Bless or Astellia. You could call it a rut or slow down or whatever you want. MMOs are a dying breed.

We are at the bottom of the cash shop slippery slope and it's a cesspool of greed where developers would rather turn a quick buck than make a good game. Hey maybe the future is mobile! LOL

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited October 2019
    PC MMO in west already is crashing. Mobile MMO in east is risng.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited October 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Nilden said:

It crashed hard.

Hold on a second.

You er.... you should probably read the first sentence of your reply "Classic WOW count as a new MMORPG, it didn’t exist up until 2 months ago." and think carefully about it.

And even if hypothetically CLassic Wow counts as a new MMORPG under some definitions (such as the fact that it took a new 60 million dollars to re-create), whatever definition of "new" MMORPG it meets certainly doesn't fit into the context of your next paragraph, "There is a desire for new MMORPGs, it's just that developers aren't making the ones people want."

Re-making an MMORPG that already existed and then benefiting from the long-time brand name and nostalgia it had compared to making a new MMORPG from the ground up are entirely two different things.  Developers aren't "making the new ones that people want" because the ONLY option in Classic WoW's case was to "remake one that people wanted", which is entirely different from the plight ANY other MMORPG developer who doesn't already have an old-but-loved MMORPG that they can just re-do.

Without offering any other specifics of what else players actually want and only mentioning WoW Classic in your post, you are doing the equivalent of telling developers, "You too can make a successful new MMORPG by re-introducing an old existing MMORPG WOW Classic!"  What is any MMORPG developer who doesn't have the rights to WOW Classic supposed to do with that kind of advice?

From the strategy planning room of the hypothetical MMORPG Development company NewT3KK:

Make new games that players want.

The players want WoW Classic.

???

Profit!
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited October 2019
    The older MMO's will always be the best. And I mean the pre-Wow MMO's. Even some that came out the same year as Wow are ok but after that not so much. And the modern new ones have way to many things in them that are busy work and not really fun. And the business models are not helping the genre either. There are just too many types and some games are mixing more than one type of model. I used to know so many gamers that loved MMO's but now they would rather play an old single-player game. And let's not forget the toxic communities in MMO's now that they are mainstream and not just played by PC geeks.
    PalebaneAgent_Josephiixviiiix
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I think the MMO genre already crashed after 2011-2013 when we saw the last big group of AAA titles like GW2, Rift, SWTOR, and FFXIV come out. Since then we have ESO, a bunch of crappy Asian MMOs and survival games calling themselves MMOs. 
    RungarPalebaneelocke
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Why or why not?
    And what sort of impact would a MMO Industry crash have?

For me personally, MMOs makes up probably 80% of my gaming. A major crash would be devastating to my type of gaming, but it's already kind of lacking as is. Most Console games and their PC equivalents no longer interests me besides a few here and there. So I play mostly MMOs. But that's quickly going downhill. 
    The MMO industry crashed ~5 years ago, and it is starting to show the signs of a comeback.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    it did crash, and out of the ashes we got a game that came out in 2004. 

There needs to be a huge leep in the genre something totally different than what we know and have now, or else its just going to be the same crap every time. and every 10 years we will probably get a vanilla wow launch.
    elocke