Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Minas Morgul Gets New November 5 Release Date - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageLOTRO Minas Morgul Gets New November 5 Release Date - MMORPG.com

The official LOTRO Twitter account shared an update on the release date of the upcoming Minas Morgul expansion earlier.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My dad went to Leeds University in England and majored in English in 1955's . . . he just missed Tolkein by about 20 years.

[Deleted User]azonic69velimirius
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Wish i had more time too spend in Lotro , love playing my Burg 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Gives me more time to catch up!
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    My dad went to Leeds University in England and majored in English in 1955's . . . he just missed Tolkein by about 20 years.

Imagine, your claim to fame is that your dad missed Tolkien by "just 20 years".
    CryomatrixViper482velimirius
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    edited October 2019
    Logged in to check this stuff out on BR. Forgot how there is a cash shop icon on every single UI element in the game, sometimes in more than one cash shop currency (the game has multiple). Quest Log? Yep. Map? Yep. Talents? Yep. Virtues? Yep. Character Sheet? Yep. You name it there's a link to spend real money. It's how the game stays afloat but damn does it kill immersion of a revered title like this. If only subbing removed it all.
    McGamerJeroKaneNanbinoinfomatzperrin82
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

azonic69 said:

Imagine, your claim to fame is that your dad missed Tolkien by "just 20 years".

Yes cause this comment is really needed. You do realize this makes you sound like a big asshole right?
    Viper482McGamerValdheimNanbinovelimiriusetlar
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Cannot wait, love this mmo and if you have never played it, irregardless whether you are a LOTR fan, please give it a go...it really is something else
    Viper482ExistentialistMcGamer
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ppiper said:
    So, for a returning player who has not played since Moria, I have to shell out $79.00 for a level boost of which I do not get any of the past xpacs? Really? Doesn't seem really appealing for returning players, imho.
    Why would you want a level boost?

Not having played since Moria my suggestion would be to download the - free - game, make a new character and see how you like it. I would actually suggest you make more than one class / race combination since things have changed. You might not like it.

Only then do you need to consider options for additional content.  
    Viper482McGamerflizzerPo_gginfomatzTyserie
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223

DMKano said:

Can we just appreciate for a second the beauty of names that JRR Tolkien came up with.

Minas Morgul - it just sounds so badass.

All RPG fans own so much to Tolkien, so much what we have today was inspired by this man.

@DMKano We actually owe him sheite.
    Ursula was the first one to come up with these concepts. Tolkien was a pathetic racist & sexist to copy the ideas she came up with. He wasn't even a competitive author. Oh well who am I explaining this to right?

Read some Ursula to see what the actual shit is about. Not some colonialist author wannabe.
    Viper482McGamerNanbino

beLIEve

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

DMKano said:

Can we just appreciate for a second the beauty of names that JRR Tolkien came up with.

All RPG fans own so much to Tolkien, so much what we have today was inspired by this man.

Ursula was the first one to come up with these concepts. Tolkien was a pathetic racist & sexist to copy the ideas she came up with. He wasn't even a competitive author. Oh well who am I explaining this to right?

Read some Ursula to see what the actual shit is about. Not some colonialist author wannabe.
    Ursula LeGuin coined the name Minas Morgul? Because that was his point.
    NanbinoPo_gg
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Nope that's a statement. His point was that we owe him so much and he has given.

So yeah that's not his point.

beLIEve

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Utinni said:
    Logged in to check this stuff out on BR. Forgot how there is a cash shop icon on every single UI element in the game, sometimes in more than one cash shop currency (the game has multiple). Quest Log? Yep. Map? Yep. Talents? Yep. Virtues? Yep. Character Sheet? Yep. You name it there's a link to spend real money. It's how the game stays afloat but damn does it kill immersion of a revered title like this. If only subbing removed it all.
    Either you have never played this game or are mistaking it for another because what you wrote is pure nonsense.  Yes, there is a cash shop. but there really is little need for it if you sub, as you earn plenty of lotro points through gameplay.   Oh, and the UI has zero cash shop icons.  
    McGamerJeroKaneNanbinoetlar
    Ozmodan said:
    Utinni said:
     Oh, and the UI has zero cash shop icons.  
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? There's a little gold coin or mithril coin on every UI element. It links you directly to spend money. You drunk bby?
    McGamerJeroKaneNanbino
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

Ppiper said:

So, for a returning player who has not played since Moria, I have to shell out $79.00 for a level boost of which I do not get any of the past xpacs? Really? Doesn't seem really appealing for returning players, imho.

LOTRO is not about endgame, it is about the entire journey. If you just want levels you are not going to like this game.
    Agent_Josephgervaise1
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Utinni said:

Ozmodan said:

Utinni said:

Logged in to check this stuff out on BR. Forgot how there is a cash shop icon on every single UI element in the game, sometimes in more than one cash shop currency (the game has multiple). Quest Log? Yep. Map? Yep. Talents? Yep. Virtues? Yep. Character Sheet? Yep. You name it there's a link to spend real money.

It's how the game stays afloat but damn does it kill immersion of a revered title like this. If only subbing removed it all.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? There's a little gold coin or mithril coin on every UI element. It links you directly to spend money. You drunk bby?

I'm sitting here looking at the game screen and I'm with Ozmondan, you don't know what you're talking about.

On the main play screen there's ONE (1) and that's the link to the cash shop. If you open up the various panels (15 total) only 10 have cash shop links and only about half of those are the coin icon, the rest are just small boxes that don't really stand out and aren't 'in your face' like the coin icons would be and again with Oz on this, none are really needed.

As to the map I can only assume you're talking about the spot where you can spend Mithirl coin's to jump to different spots on the map outside riding a horse. And again, it's a very understated box with the mithirl symbol beside it.

And I can't see how having a cash shop box or coin on a big panel could take you anymore out of immersion than say ..... having a big panel open on your screen.
    McGamer

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• ExistentialistExistentialist Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited October 2019
    My burg is itching to get stuck into the new content.

In the meantime I've discovered how much fun it is to play a Beorning, he is making his way through Mordor to be ready as either a Tank, DPS or Heal option (think wow druid) with friends in the 3 and 6 man runs once my Burg is raid ready.

While I dabble in AAU and LoA, home and friends are in Lotro. It has been heartwarming to see old friends return to the game in the last few weeks, preparing for our next adventure.
    May it be forever available.
    lahnmir
    Nebless said:

Utinni said:

Ozmodan said:

Utinni said:

Logged in to check this stuff out on BR. Forgot how there is a cash shop icon on every single UI element in the game, sometimes in more than one cash shop currency (the game has multiple). Quest Log? Yep. Map? Yep. Talents? Yep. Virtues? Yep. Character Sheet? Yep. You name it there's a link to spend real money.

It's how the game stays afloat but damn does it kill immersion of a revered title like this. If only subbing removed it all.

I'm sitting here looking at the game screen and I'm with Ozmondan, you don't know what you're talking about.

On the main play screen there's ONE (1) and that's the link to the cash shop. If you open up the various panels (15 total) only 10 have cash shop links and only about half of those are the coin icon, the rest are just small boxes that don't really stand out and aren't 'in your face' like the coin icons would be and again with Oz on this, none are really needed.

As to the map I can only assume you're talking about the spot where you can spend Mithirl coin's to jump to different spots on the map outside riding a horse. And again, it's a very understated box with the mithirl symbol beside it.

And I can't see how having a cash shop box or coin on a big panel could take you anymore out of immersion than say ..... having a big panel open on your screen.
    So you said there are no cash shop links, then you listed all of them off. Changed your tune pretty quick!
    McGamerJeroKaneNanbino
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Ppiper said:

You're better off holding on to the memories of how the game was when Moria came out, because it all went downhill after that. I wouldn't waste any more money on it.
    JeroKaneNanbino
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Utinni said:

It would really be something if SSG made a new server like Rift and ArcheAge did and remove all the P2W aspects out of the game. Until then, I could care less about their cash-grabs.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Megilindir said: nikki

DMKano said:

Actually George MacDonald is the man we owe adult fantasy literature too.  A great Scot.  If it is not Scottish it is crap.
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168

Horusra said:

Megilindir said: nikki

DMKano said:

Actually George MacDonald is the man we owe adult fantasy literature too.  A great Scot.  If it is not Scottish it is crap.

Yeah, actually the dinosaurs had complex language systems. Biggest brains. Biggest Bois on this planet. They pretty much made all lore up. Sadly they predicted that if they stayed alive, the soy boy nanny staters would abuse their talents to feel right about fake stuff, so they all hung themselves. Proof: their necks snapped back, scientist have no explanation. No we do. Mass hanging
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2019
    I find it hard to get a grasp on mixing LeGuin here by Megilindir above... but of course I'm not a big fan.
    Still, stating "Ursula was the first one to come up with these concepts." is a bold line considering the Hobbit was born around the time she did, and LotR was out before she even started to write...

Also, what "concepts"? Kano talked about the languages and words (have to agree, Morgul has a well-fitting tone to describe the dark arts), and Tolkien indeed was amazing with those.

And if you mean the overall concept which inspired a lot of RPGs (the last line of Kano) that's also Tolkien's meltdown and organizing of different European mythologies into one, mainly the nordic ones. LeGuin also reached to the Norse for inspiration, but that's where the similarities end.

@Utinni the UI is just a skin, fully in your control (as it was discussed multiple times already in the past), if you don't want to see store icons just grab (or build one for yourself) a custom UI and that's it. Practically you don't need anything from the store anyway, if you subscribe (besides expansions), so you won't miss out - and custom UIs can have other benefits too, even if you can have most of those as standalone plugins as well.
    [Deleted User]etlar
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

DMKano said:

You can't just take people and throw them in today's standards mix. Different times then and compared to what we think of now, they were all sexist and racist in some form or another.

So yeah, not much of an argument when you look at context.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Nope that's a statement. His point was that we owe him so much and he has given.

hmmm, I took it that he was reveling in the work of Tolkien and that we are all richer with such a work but "ok" point taken.

As far as Le Guin, "sure" she is a pioneer for the genre though I never warmed up to her work.

Probably worth pointing out that even she had respect for Tolkien's work.

Sometimes you have to look at the work and not the person behind it. People who create spend time honing their craft, perfecting it. Well, the "good ones" in any case. Rarely do people apply the same level of scrutiny and industry to perfecting themselves as people.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

hmmm, I took it that he was reveling in the work of Tolkien and that we are all richer with such a work but "ok" point taken.

As far as Le Guin, "sure" she is a pioneer for the genre though I never warmed up to her work.

Probably worth pointing out that even she had respect for Tolkien's work.

Sometimes you have to look at the work and not the person behind it. People who create spend time honing their craft, perfecting it. Well, the "good ones" in any case. Rarely do people apply the same level of scrutiny and industry to perfecting themselves as people.

Hey, many people here, me included, adore Lovecrafts work. Now HE was a character IRL  :|

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sovrath
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer