Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever quest Green

2»

Comments

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 236
    What is it with people on this message board and personal insults? Another one ignored. Try to stay on topic.
    elocke
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,931
    edited October 2019
    cheyane said:
    Goodness this guy is having a love affair with himself. I'm afraid we must be cramping your superior deductive and reasoning skills...I bow out gracefully.
    I don't know, anyone who uses a random googled picture with a resolution scale of 65×75 can't be all that superior.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 1,925
    pkpkpk said:

THis is proving to be the worst choice I have ever seen in an MMO. I knew I was right... 
    Uh, yeah... that’s what it looks like. Mhmmm. 
    "Wake up, It's RNG, there is no such thing as 'rare'"
    - Ungood
    edited October 2019
    DAY 2

9:30 AM EST
    1261 green
    246 blue (200 fewer than Friday at 9:30 AM before green server, and it was already considered deserted then by veterans)

10:01 AM EST
    1418 green
    275 blue (zones are very sparse, impossible to find groups at certain levels, and this is a weekend morning. Only 10 players in East Commonlands above level 11, economy has ceased to functionTypical behavior of a player: log in, type LFG for a few minutes, log out. This can't go on forever.)

10:31 AM EST
    1533 green
    296 blue

12:10 PM EST
    1963 green
    377 blue (people are not even bothering to log in with numbers so low. It's a Saturday at noon!)

1:38 PM EST
    2109 green
    422 blue

3:16 PM EST
    2244 green
    493 blue

3:51 PM EST (populations are pretty much stabilizing. Green is still growing a bit, but I think it's fair to say they have at the least 200 fewer players than yesterday. But we'll see by the end of today. Population of blue has been at least halved, and I don't think that will change except very gradually.)
    2297 green
    493 blue (impossible to find groups; Unrest has 3 players, City of Mist has 3, Mistmoore has 1)

4:55 PM EST
    2308 green (seems to have stablized, so I'll say about 300 hundred fewer players than yesterday. As a prediction for t he future it will not have more I think than 1000 players in a year or two. If it follows the common sense law that only 1000 people on average wish to play classic Everquest, then it will have the difference between blue and 1000, and neither server will be playable. Blue certainly will not, unless they undo something.)
    478 blue (the grouping situation is so dismal I think the server is done for. If you can't find groups on a Saturday afternoon it's had it. This server is like another Uthgard DAoC now, not enough people to support the large world and scope.)

Post edited by pkpkpk on
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,915
    Why are you posting blue numbers and disparaging it like it was gonna hold its population? The server is 10 years old lol.

And to be fair, even with 1k people p99 blue is very sparse, impossible to find groups at certain levels.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,973
    Utinni said:
    Why are you posting blue numbers and disparaging it like it was gonna hold its population? The server is 10 years old lol.

And to be fair, even with 1k people p99 blue is very sparse, impossible to find groups at certain levels.
    Actually, the blue/green numbers resemble the population distribution between EQ1 "established" and "new" servers.  It appears that a large block of players move as a group from something "old" to something "new".  Guilds, I'm guessing.  But the population for both P99 and EQ1 appears relatively static, in total.  Is this bad news for Pantheon and other wanna-be old school games?  To me, it looks likely.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,758
    Mendel said:
    Utinni said:

Is this bad news for Pantheon and other wanna-be old school games?  To me, it looks likely.

hmmm, given the numbers no not really. 1000 people aren't going to sway a more "old school" game one way or another.

Everquest has been going, in one form or another, for a long time. The idea of playing something "new" that has a foot in older conventions will be enticing.

Yeah the only reason you would think the server would hold its population is if you thought it had a unified population. Those 200-500 players are the core players, and even that's a grab bag. The other half or more of the players are another matter. In the end the server is in the hands of the owner. Given the choice between short term good and long term good, over half the server will choose short term good. The particularly interesting point of these metrics will be, after today when we see the general outlook of the blue server, to see the rate at which players on green server diminish. Already I might say, albeit somewhat hastily, the players on  green server have decreased substantially from Friday.I think we will have a general idea of the future blue population by the end of today. Any other developments will be gradual, I imagine. But I think we will see great changes in green population for a while to come. As I remember about Lineage II classic, after maybe two weeks or so, the low level population was no different than any other server, we might imagine. Low level dungeons that had once been crowded were then empty. It all looked sad. I guess some people like that experience. It reminds me of the fairgrounds the day after a fair with trash and food littered all over the ground and no one there.
    Well I think the writing is on t he wall. The staff was always bad, the owner is not the right man for the job. Wolfshead wrote a lot about it here: https://www.wolfsheadonline.com/project-1999-classic-everquest-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/ I don't agree with most of it, but there simply shouldn't be problems like that. I also don't agree Project '99 needs a lot of volunteers. Again I think the problem comes from the top down. The owner, the same person that chose this, chose how to organize the staff, the criteria for them, &c.

More than that the server is unplayable. If you had told me Project 1999 was a game that would become unplayable every few years, and I would have to make a new character on a new server to use it, I would not have played it in the first place. Although classic Everquest could have done well under different ownership, it is now just a novelty progression server. And graphical online RPGs won't have another chance like this. This was the last chance, and the end of a game.

The funny thing is, Everquest is so challenging, even once you hit level 60, you might have no clue where anything is--raids, items, quests, dungeons. There is a great problem here with cheaters, and there always was with people who expect one game to do everything. Everquest can't do everything. When all you play is Everquest and expect it to fulfil the role of the only game you play , all you get is expansion packs, novelty and short term thrills. There was so much more to Everquest too that the cheaters all blew by looking at spoiler sites, item locations, quest guides, you name it, not to mention twinking and powerleveling. MMORPGs are not and probably never were the place to look for good games. Diablo II is probably a better game than Everquest, and that's not saying much. Yes a virtual world should be dynamic, but not in the way Everquest is and was.

I don't know, I think when you see a game blow up like this, even run by volunteers, you realize how rotten these MMOs are at the core. I do applaud so many ordinary people with ordinary vices and faults to have played a game from '99. I thought they would be playing Playstation 4 or the latest PC game. I was wrong, but I want out. There are better online games, and those of us that seek them should play them. RPI MUDs are by far the best going, but anything with enforced roleplaying and good underlying systems is good. MUSHes and free form roleplaying are another kind of good game for those who want something lighter.  I haven't found a good MUD on the Internet like a CRPG as Pool of Radiance yet. I think there's just too much choice now for something like that to be.

"[MMORPGs] can be a whole lot of fun, but there are two problems that always seem to ruin it: Cheating and personality conflicts. I don't see solutions for those coming anytime soon. So the entire point is moot as far as I can tell. " - Squeek on the RPGCodex in 2007

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 1,925
    Drop the blue servers and problem solved. 
    "Wake up, It's RNG, there is no such thing as 'rare'"
    - Ungood
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 596
    I'm so tempted to start on Green for the like 5th time. It will be a great server for years to come, except for the fact that a few guilds will control the raid scene. Bleh. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,915
    So the OP went from "P99 is the only game worth playing ever!" to "P99 is bad there are far better games !"

Might be my new favorite poster on the forums.