Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would I play classic World of Warcraft rather than Project 1999?

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:
    Because you like one over the other?

They are different games. 
    Well that choice is obscured by a necessary $13 payment. As to your comment that "they are different games", I think you could be more respectful. That adds nothing to this thread.
    Well if you're unemployed then definitely play P99. It's a game built for that.

this kind of mean spirited ignorance is hideous. Ough!

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Renoaku said:
    Wow Classic, still isn't the original wow and the only good features in the new one were not taken over so no thanks :3.

Bodies were removed, No Transmogs, and from what I hear no Twinks with high level gear it's not 100% the same.
    Did I not see /sarcasmoff , or you didn't added it?!

Transmogs were not part of Vanilla ( the f... ? ). Twinks will become a thing when PvP Honors and BGs will be added.

Other then that, if bodies on the ground stops you for playing WoW Classic, then .. for a start, you are really not into WoW Classic so to speak, because that's not an excuse to not play it. Is an .. caprice!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:
    Also, which should I watch? Pulp Fiction or Sesame Street? 
    That's not fair !!!!... World of Warcraft has a lot going for it and can be for adults too. Comparing it to Sesame Street !! 
    They are both entertaining. They are just very different things.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

And if you want my opinion I did not play the very first mmorpgs like Meridian and UO but I played Everquest pretty early on and I really liked it though it had some pretty harsh features like a naked corpse run and possible level loss which my friends and I still enjoyed oh look there goes a squirrel whoops sorry typing miles of block text makes it rather hard to focus like that time I climbed a cheery tree in my front yard and lost my focus and fell boy did that hurt even more than naked corpse runs hurt although thinking about it being dead would be worse I guess but you're not really dead so maybe the tree thing is the worst hey has anyone been watching any new tv shows this fall I kind of like Emergence but what do you think wait I see that squirrel again he looks kind of mean maybe he is rabid do squirrels go rabid I guess any animal can even humans I am rabid for when Westworld returns that show rocks but has anyone heard about new Game of Thrones spin offs hold up I think I lost my way I never played MUDs but I may try one someday I have friends who have played them and they seemed to enjoy it.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    pkpkpk said:
    Wow classic is the ultra casual mmo that sent the genre in a downward spiral. 

Very well said! Yet when you look at that genre, of the games before World of Warcraft that have been recreated and still have players in sufficient numbers, Project 1999 is the only one. So that would then make WoW Classic the number two online RPG now, would it not?
    Actually P99 is 2nd to SWGEMU.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    immodium said:
    pkpkpk said:

Very well said! Yet when you look at that genre, of the games before World of Warcraft that have been recreated and still have players in sufficient numbers, Project 1999 is the only one. So that would then make WoW Classic the number two online RPG now, would it not?
    There are plenty of games that came out prior to WoW that have relatively large private server bases. Completely recreated, probably not but there are MU Online servers that are "classic" with 900+ players on at a time, or Conquer online private servers with similar numbers. Lineage 2 has plenty of players on the official classic servers as well as private servers probably higher than EQ. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:

Well that choice is obscured by a necessary $13 payment. As to your comment that "they are different games", I think you could be more respectful. That adds nothing to this thread.

I think this qualifies you for permanent ignore. You just called one of the most popular online RPGs of all time a game for the unemployed. I do not expect people on this kind of message board to be the sharpest tacks, but this kind of mean spirited ignorance is hideous. Ough!
    Hard to accept the fact that the endgame is best suited for unemployed folks. It's not mean spirited ignorance, its fact. Randomized spawn windows on non-instanced raid targets is why batphoning and poopsocking exist. 
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited October 2019
    immodium said:
    pkpkpk said:

There are plenty of games that came out prior to WoW that have relatively large private server bases. Completely recreated, probably not but there are MU Online servers that are "classic" with 900+ players on at a time, or Conquer online private servers with similar numbers. Lineage 2 has plenty of players on the official classic servers as well as private servers probably higher than EQ. 
    Here we are speaking of the original games and attempts to recreate that. Lineage II classic servers were not an attempt to recreate that.  If you have any links to MU Online or Conquer Online servers that were and have sufficient players, please list them. My impression is Conquer Online (2004) was a free to play game with a cash shop, but information on the Internet about it is very scarce. MU Online (2001) is also obscure, I only found links to pages of private server lists, but the one I tried looked like Malware and wouldn't load. Based on Ragnarok Online, Lineage II and Maple Story though I do not have a good impression of Korean games around this time. I would not put American games such as Shadowbane (2003) and Everquest II (2004) in the same league as these and to tell the truth I know very little about Korean games, save that Lineage (1998) and Nexus (1996) may have been good. But that is a question of age more than intent, the large companies that made these games would rip through them in a year or two, but the original game might be something worthy of preservation, but it is incumbent on others to do so, for the companies seldom care.
    Rhoklaw said:
    You can play WoW / WoW Classic if you support a company that places the importance of money over human rights or you can play P99 which has no such bullshit agenda.

#BoycottBlizzard
    Well I doubt I will. I am mostly asking to see what others who have considered the two games seriously have thought. Some of the respondants hitherto have judged them to be incomparable games, and as I have not played the original World of Warcraft in 13 years, I am in no position to dispute that. Thirteen years has changed my perception of games greatly. And rest assured I would not give Blizzard any money hastily. I only consider it with the greatest reservation. Thus this thread.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    pkpkpk said:
    pkpkpk said:

By that logic mobile games are the best games ever created. Might as well go play the lineage mobile mmo instead. 

Also a small correction to a previous post, WoW is but the last of its kind. It’s the first mutation.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what you said. Care to elaborate?

Well if you want my opinion on the good old days of online RPGs, it was just as few as you saw before they began to degenerate. Meridian 59 (1996), The Realm (1996), Nexus (1996), Tibia (1997), Lineage (1998), Underlight (1998), maybe Asheron's Call and Everquest (1999), maybe Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, and Runescape (2001), probably Shadowbane (2003)...Fairly hard to say without any experience of half of them. World of Warcraft the first mutation? What about Final Fantasy XI on the Playstation 2 in 2002, or Everquest: The Online Adventures in 2003? Or Maple Story or Ragnarok Online in 2002? A lot of things can be said about these last two, but that they are reminiscent of the early days of graphic MUDs, or seemed to be pioneering themselves in the field, I would not. And how about Everquest's expansion the Planes of Power in 2003?I was very young then, but ran like the wind. And after all World of Warcraft came out the same time as Everquest II, and that was not a bad game, just generally pointless in view of the original. The reality though is other than Everquest none of these early games exist today, with an appropriate amount of players and in their original form, and so here I am discussing Everquest and World of Warcraft. Classic MMOs are very rare.  But we can cite Everquest II (2004) and Shadowbane (2003) as games of a different breed than later ones, and so World of Warcraft, released in the same year as Everquest II, is a good contender for that. More specifically the quests in the game gave a reason for what you were doing, which games such as Ragnarok Online and Lineage 2, to my recollection, did not. But sure call it what you will; I am only speaking to my memory, I don't remember a game after World of Warcraft, other than Vanguard and TERA (which I don't consider part of the older age) that impressed me at all. Based on this thread so far, I do not see many reasons to play World of Warcraft. And I grant my memory of 14 years ago may be faulty, but so far it does not seem to be so. The only reason to play World of Warcraft classic may be that the owners of Project 1999 spoil it, which is not unlikely with the release of the new server. 
    I don’t
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Amathe said:
    You comparing EQ to Sesame Street then?  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    For god's sake use paragraphs.
    pantaroAmathe

lahnmir said:
    Amathe said:
    You comparing EQ to Sesame Street then?  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Neither game is like either tv show/film. And I like both. :) I'm just saying you may as well choose between two completely dissimilar things.  Could have said pizza/chocolate milk. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I was waiting for someone to correct him on the EQ1 having 60 levels at launch.  That would have been the Kunark expansion.   And comparing EQ1's original levels to WoW's levels without mentioning "Hell levels" is just wrong on many levels.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    People like the official server because they trust it more, imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Mendel said:
    I was waiting for someone to correct him on the EQ1 having 60 levels at launch.  That would have been the Kunark expansion.   And comparing EQ1's original levels to WoW's levels without mentioning "Hell levels" is just wrong on many levels.

I was not speaking only of speed. You have an eye for the truth and can likely conclude what I mean.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:

I think this qualifies you for permanent ignore. You just called one of the most popular online RPGs of all time a game for the unemployed. I do not expect people on this kind of message board to be the sharpest tacks, but this kind of mean spirited ignorance is hideous. Ough!
    Do you get a permanent ignore for saying people on this site are not sharp tacks ?
    pantaroCryomatrix
    edited October 2019
    Palebane said:
    People like the official server because they trust it more, imo.
    Ha ha I think some would balk at that, but a fair point. For my part trust is no concern, for it is not a career move. Also most good RPGs on Internet are in text anyway and independent people run them. As we're speaking about a 15 year old game that scarcely lasted two years, it is safe to say it is the odd man out among serious online RPGs (supposing we judge World of Warcraft such). I know of no other company that released an authentic version of their original MMORPG. Among serious online gamers any dealing with a large company is the exception rather than the rule. I think they ran out of multi million dollar games to burn up in the first year or two and just began to make them bad from the start. It saves a lot of manpower.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Why would you play WoW classic or Project 1999?  I don't know.  I give up.  Why would you?  Does it have something to do with your keyboard not having a working enter key?
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:

Do you get a permanent ignore for saying people on this site are not sharp tacks ?
    The ignore command is the only way message boards on the Internet are bearable. I do not anyway live in an adverserial quarter where people commonly insult me or the things I like or do. And I do not come on the Internet to be in one.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2019
    I'm really starting to like this guy,
    He reminds me of me in a lot of ways and others not.

His individual sentences make sense by themselves, but used in a paragraph all the sentences don't.

And nothing relates to anything he is quoting.  Some only part way at most.

Best of all he can argue with everyone and doesn't care !

He's my kind of people :) 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Rhoklaw said:
    You can play WoW / WoW Classic if you support a company that places the importance of money over human rights or you can play P99 which has no such bullshit agenda.

#BoycottBlizzard
    blah blah blah, false

if the guy wants to protest do it on his own time

Blizzard is a corporation that exists to make money, not be involved in politics

fwiw, I support Hong Kong but he was just as wrong to do it on their platform as Kaepernick was on the NFL's dime