Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Announced Paid Subscription Service For Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited October 2019
    Arterius said:
    I paid my $100. Fallout 76 is the only game I have ever platinumed (outside of Telltale games that throw them at you). Never spent a dime in the MTX store so I will give them some money to support them
    While I don't envy your tastes on this awful game, I do envy your clearly large supply of disposable income, with your willingness to spend on collectors editions and subscriptions on seemingly everything at all times.

Maybe that would be me if my gold-digging bimbo friend hadn't just used me for everything I was worth and then told me I wasn't good enough for her.  :|
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Albatroes said:
    DMKano said:
    Mental
    Tbf, Todd Howard does know his market. He knows there's hardcore fans he can always milk, so I give the man credit. This honestly wouldn't be a bad deal if the game was fixed FIRST (which we know will never happen) and the 'private servers' are supposed to have mod support, so 100$ a year is pretty much akin to people who buy CoD/Fifa/etc every year.

The people scoffing at this just know this further reinforces such practices, but nothing like this will happen in ES6/Starfield, right?!?! Right?!?!?

I think this solidifies, to me, the lack of shame Bethesda has with applying monetization to their games even when the quality of the game is undeniably sub par. Now they can point to FO76 when SF comes out with mxt and say "see!? we only have  a FEW mxt gimmicks in THIS game! Nowhere near as many as FO76! Didnt we do good!?" And rubes will nod their head in agreement not noticing or caring the goal post has been shifted right in front of their eyes. The game will be fun to...someone... not the best it can be. Thats all Bethesda really wants to be. A sarlacc pit just waiting for whatever poor individuals happen to wander into it.
    TacticalZombehPalebane
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    And now Bethesda has reached the point where there isn't a clean spot on the bed in which to continually shit.
    CryomatrixalkarionlogKyleranTacticalZombeh

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Aeander said:

Maybe that would be me if my gold-digging bimbo friend hadn't just used me for everything I was worth and then told me I wasn't good enough for her.  :|
    Friend zoned
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    How much does it usually cost to rent an 8 players server for most games like Conan, Atlas etc...?

I don't think $12.99 is out of line but maybe I am wrong.

The only reason I would do it is if I wanted a private server.

It costs about that much, but then you can have the server 24/7 for you and your group. This isn't really comparable because Bethesda only gives private world as long as someone paying the subscription is online.
    Kyleran

Utinni said:
    Aeander said:

Friend zoned
    At least most have the decency to not take advantage of you first. No friend of mine anymore.
    Slapshot1188 said:
    How much does it usually cost to rent an 8 players server for most games like Conan, Atlas etc...?

This

Please remember this is Bethesda we are talking about. They stiffed there own preorder customer on freaking bags and bottles. Their own games are almost always intitially patched by the playerbase before they attempt a series of disastrous patches. I guarantee if they are contracting servers its the lowest cost possible and if there wont be ridiculously foreseeable issues cropping up thanks to their incompetence I will die of shock.
    Palebane
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Incoming youtube videos "How I left Fallout 76"
    Portz said:
    Incoming youtube videos "How I left Fallout 76"
    An uninstall guide would have more value than any actual gameplay guides.
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Funny how many people from a vocal minority are moaning here, when they are not even interested in that game, they never played it and never will. Hatn' just for hatn'.  If a game gives me fun, I always drop devs some money to let them carry on with the title.  So, don't like the game? Then move on, coz you obviously waste your life here and your comment's won't change anything.
    Aeander[Deleted User]CryomatrixKyleran
    edited October 2019
    Arterius said:
    sipu said:
    Funny how many people from a vocal minority are moaning here, when they are not even interested in that game, they never played it and never will. Hatn' just for hatn'.  If a game gives me fun, I always drop devs some money to let them carry on with the title.  So, don't like the game? Then move on, coz you obviously waste your life here and your comment's won't change anything.
    Look I love Fallout 76 but I am also not blind. The game has a lot of problems, a lot still carried over from launch, I think criticism is deserved. I only have a problem with it when people call me disgusting or idiot for spending my money how I want to spend it.

It's just easier to point and that guy and say "you're the problem. You're the reason why everything is fucked." When in truth, there's much greater forces at play. The people actually responsible for the fucked state we are in don't frequent forums or even know that there's a problem. They just buy the annual FIFA, Call of Duty, Madden, and both versions of Pokemon sight unseen.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombehPalebane
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    So in the already dead world, they are adding the option so you can play alone or with friends.

Yeah, thats gonna make the mmo feel post apocalyptic dead alright.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Vrika said:

It costs about that much, but then you can have the server 24/7 for you and your group. This isn't really comparable because Bethesda only gives private world as long as someone paying the subscription is online.
    Oh.  I guess that makes sense.  Is that outlined somewhere with more details?

Honestly, for my small group, this might actually make sense.  Actual persistent housing!   That was one of the main reasons I gave up on the game last year.  I hated logging in to find my camp was gone.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    sipu said:
    Look I love Fallout 76 but I am also not blind. The game has a lot of problems, a lot still carried over from launch, I think criticism is deserved. I only have a problem with it when people call me disgusting or idiot for spending my money how I want to spend it.

It's just easier to point and that guy and say "you're the problem. You're the reason why everything is fucked." When in truth, there's much greater forces at play. The people actually responsible for the fucked state we are in don't frequent forums or even know that there's a problem. They just buy the annual FIFA, Call of Duty, Madden, and both versions of Pokemon sight unseen.
    The problem is we are old and remember the good ol days. I have cousins and nephews who refuse to play games if they don't have a MTX store because it means the devs are lazy and didn't put extra work into making extra content.

They hate lootboxes though
    That's a really fucked outlook for them to have when we have 200+ hour JRPGs with no MTX. Who isn't putting "extra work" into "extra content?" Sigh.
    Palebane
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Still does not bode well for future titles.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Cool I can use this here too.

alkarionlogKyleran
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

My question to some here is this:

Are the 5 people who still play Fallout 76 the one's damaging the industry, or have all Bethesda fans been damaging the industry by buying broken, unpolished games? 

Because I'm leaning towards the latter. Fallout 76 happened and was shit BECAUSE you bought their broken Fallout and Elder Scrolls drivel for so long. You taught them it was okay and they acted accordingly.
    Kyleran
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    This is a good idea, just a bad package. The issue is that they are bundling monthly Atoms into the package, and as such are inflating the price. If they removed those, they could sell the sub at $1-2 and less people would be upset.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    So lemme guess, Subscription + Cash Shop?
    No thanks.

Next game better have no cash shop at all.
    Aeander said:

Are the 5 people who still play Fallout 76 the one's damaging the industry, or have all Bethesda fans been damaging the industry by buying broken, unpolished games? 

Because I'm leaning towards the latter. Fallout 76 happened and was shit BECAUSE you bought their broken Fallout and Elder Scrolls drivel for so long. You taught them it was okay and they acted accordingly.

They were broken. But they had one major aspect that made them recover alot of playabilty. The modding community. Who knows, maybe with modding available this game will be a diamond in the rough but considering the investment Bethesda has put into their atomic shop Im guessing modds will be HIGHLY restricted.

And this argument that Bethesda has always been trash is goofy. Traditional iso Fall Out players and Morrowind snobs might not like how gameplay became more mass audience oriented but you still werent being asked for more than the base amount of the game to play the game (horse armor withstanding). I can excuse an expansion DLC; at least that has writing, new assets and game elements. Its actual labor apposed to "do you want a blue gun, or a gold gun?" On top of that Skyrim as influenced just about every open world game since from Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild to Assassin's Creed. That and FO3 were pretty damn big culturally even outside of gaming. Dont try to pin the embarrassing blunder of this game on people who are content to play their single player games while not having given Bethesda a cent more in over a decade.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Aeander said:

um, no. The Elder Scrolls games, for me, have been the best use of my "gaming money" ever. I play them for years and years. And years. No other game has given me that much bang for the buck.

And they aren't really broken, just a bit buggy. I'm not buying in to the whole "the players fix the games" since I usually play them unmodded several times before adding mods. As does a friend of mine. We've enjoyed the experience completely and didn't require any player mods to fix things.

[Deleted User]Mowzer
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505
    A certain percentage of the Bethesda FO76 player-base will pay it, heck they would've paid more, just to justify to themselves it is all okay.  Let them.  My only concern is that this will be used later on too with the next Elder Scrolls 6 & Starfield.  
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think I will get a year pass as well for this. A couple issues I faced in the game were related to the public servers. Like trying to kill ghoul golfers when white pines is nuked full of level 150s.
    [Deleted User]
  • ookibakaookibaka Member UncommonPosts: 38
    So the world 'closes' if everyone leaves? Is that a good thing or a bad thing as I have never played longer than an hour...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    TEKK3N said:
    So lemme guess, Subscription + Cash Shop?
    No thanks.

Next game better have no cash shop at all.
    yep, those moves give one hopes for the next doom, ait? =)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"